• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

The tipping point is somewhere around when you get
Titan Armor, plasma weapons, and Psi training
or some combination thereof. Story-wise that point should come a little after
you assault the alien base.

Once you're rolling with that sort of kit the actual missions cease to be much of a threat. At that point you're also likely sitting on pretty solid satellite coverage, so the possibility of losing starts to fade into the dark recesses of your memory.

heh. my own progression must be weird then, because i'm just getting some of that long after i've done the assault.

Salsa

yeah I mean, im not ruling out the possibility of classic getting too hard and having to tone it down. Last time I played an XCOM game was at least 5 years ago after all, but so far im doing fine

only thing I "regret" about starting on classic is that it'd be nice to have more incentive for a second playthrough, and there's no way im going with impossible for that

.. I think

I can't even imagine.

*Upon hearing loud noises, everyone on your team panics and starts shooting one another.
*Countries pull out of XCOM if they disagree with your loadout choices.

well im barely in on classic and im not saying it's not challenging. Im losing one rookie per mission most of the times, and just now I left the game on a "very hard" one where I already lost 3 of my troops, one of them having been with me since the beggining of the game. I can see how it could be a bit easier on normal and avoid having some of this stuff happen to me but ehhhhh that's just xcom being xcom

ugh. i lost almost everyone on a terror mission once the zombies came out to play. i'd have been screwed on ironman lol

Grimsen

For my current classic game, i used the various suggestions in this thread and went with a base in asia, and concentrated on satellite coverage/Officer's school/foundry.

Then I played the Abduction game, making sure the global panic was evened across regions. Only lost the US. Played the
alien base at the end of the month I got it to avoid losing a few countries.

Now I'm past the halfway point, with big monthly funding. It should be easier from there.

Trickster

Not very far in the game, and I already got 3 nations at maximum panic. All 3 got max panic at the same time, and there was nothing I could do to prevent it really.

I'm not getting any missions that can help me reduce the panic level in any of the nations. So right now I'm scrambling to be able to some satelites into their airspace so I can intercept ufo's and hopefully that will help somehow. But it's freaking hard to get engineers to be able to make satelite uplinks

Or am I simply doing it wrong?

Am I the only one who finds that once a soldier has a nickname assigned, it becomes much harder to send them on suicide alien stun missions?

"Hey redshirt, stun that alien while Yeti, Twitch, Cargo, Strings and I hunker down behind this concrete reinforced parking structure."

Belgorim

I just started playing this, and this could have been asked before (kinda afraid of spoilers, so do not want to read through the entire thread). But does anyone else have trouble selecting missions?

When I get the option to go to 3 different places, I select the one I want, but the craft always go to the first one selected?

I can't even imagine.

*Upon hearing loud noises, everyone on your team panics and starts shooting one another.
*Countries pull out of XCOM if they disagree with your loadout choices.
"It is with great regret that we must cease all funding for the XCOM project. This council had the utmost expectations for you, but it would appear our hopes were misplaced. I mean, yellow armor on a sniper? Really?"

Lach

Quick question. I think I'm still quite early in the game.

I had
an invasion and the introduction of those spidery type aliens that turn people into zombies and in my latest mission I was up against some soldier type aliens (muton or something like that). I've yet to capture an alien with the arc thrower. I just never had the chance without seriously endanger my men (and women).

Is
capturing an alien
vital in advancing the story. I feel like it advances none the less..

I had
an invasion and the introduction of those spidery type aliens that turn people into zombies and in my latest mission I was up against some soldier type aliens (muton or something like that). I've yet to capture an alien with the arc thrower. I just never had the chance without seriously endanger my men (and women).

Is
capturing an alien

Get an Assault soldier. They have that perk that gives you higher defence when you're near an enemy.

In any case, I usually only stun when there's one Alien left remaining.

kurahador

I had

Is
capturing an alien

Capturing aliens usually rewards you with their technology and stronger weapons. Subsequent capture of the same species will rewards you their weapon---different aliens have different one btw.

The alien you mentioned and the robotic type cannot be captured.

kamspy

I had

Is
capturing an alien

It will pop the cherry on a lot of tech trees.

Wildesy

Get an Assault soldier. They have that perk that gives you higher defence when you're near an enemy.

In any case, I usually only stun when there's one Alien left remaining.

A Sniper with disabling shot is another good way to get close to an enemy to stun. They spend their next turn reloading their gun which gives you an opportunity to get in close. I kept forgetting my Assault guys had the 'reaction shot if an enemy gets within 4 spaces' ability which boned me a few times when I was trying to stun guys.

Lach

Thanks everyone...I think my teams good enough to
a sectoid or a thin man
. Just need a good chance to do it.

Aaron

a sectoid or a thin man
The former is easy enough. Your guys should be tough enough to soak the damage. If not, invest in better armor. The latter is a little bitch, but suppression and disabling shot help a lot.

KePoW

Banned
For Sniper, does anyone know if "In The Zone" works for overwatch? In other words, if a sniper gets an overwatch kill on an enemy who moves out of cover, can you get another overwatch?

Or is Double Tap better period?

Twinduct

Oh geez, went the family route with naming my guys.
I'm down to like one member of the family left ... myself heh.
Also ran out of names. After you've gone through 17 names from your family, you kinda don't care any more.

Even though I got a sniper from South Africa. Rarely misses. Hell think he might have missed on a 15% chancer. But 30% -> 100% .. hits.
God like.

Wildesy

For Sniper, does anyone know if "In The Zone" works for overwatch? In other words, if a sniper gets an overwatch kill on an enemy who moves out of cover, can you get another overwatch?

Or is Double Tap better period?

Sniper with squadsight and double tap is god mode.

Oh geez, went the family route with naming my guys.
I'm down to like one member of the family left ... myself heh.
Also ran out of names. After you've gone through 17 names from your family, you kinda don't care any more.

Even though I got a sniper from South Africa. Rarely misses. Hell think he might have missed on a 15% chancer. But 30% -> 100% .. hits.
God like.

Haha, dangerous route to take naming people after family members. I only did it with one soldier and I found myself treating her differently because I didn't want her to die. She was a soldier from Australia (where I'm from) and her last name was the same as my mum's maiden name, so I was pretty much obliged to make her first name the same too. She died in pretty crappy circumstances though, but I didn't really mind in the end as she was a Sniper that I spec'd the opposite way from my first sniper and she was definitely inferior. Not having squadsight made her useless.

My best naming story came from a troop on my first team in my first game. She had a flag that I didn't recognise, but it had green and white in it so that was good enough for me to consider it Pakistan even though I knew it wasn't. Ended up naming her Malala Yousafzai and she ended up being by far my best soldier, made it through from start to finish as well. As a sniper with squadsight, double tap and headshot plus psi abilities and archangel armor she finished with a ridiculous amount of kills in comparison to the rest. Take that alien Taliban.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
My Sniper is now in full force; scoped laser sniper rifle, no squad sight yet, but he has a 90%+ chance-to-hit on every target I throw at him now.
He works in tandem with an assault-soldier who works as a scout, armed with a shotgun, so if sniper misses, she can run up to the Xray and introduce it's face to the concept of lead.

Sephon

Made it out with no deaths. Fucking triggers like that are the worst part of this game. Firaxis, don't pull that shit in the next one.

Yeah, I hate that shit. Got a mission with at least 12 chryssalids and it was going quite alright until they triggered their "introduction scenes" and instantly afterward they run up into the middle of my team. And since I had 5 guys and it took two good shots to take one of them down I was going to lose at least one guy, just because the game decided to pull a fast one on me.

I do the save/load-trick, so maybe I deserved it, but still feels brutal.
Yeah, I know...
That's Xcom baby...

desverger

I wish I knew which of my three playthroughs to cotinue..

I've been playing a lot on Normal Ironman mode, it's fun but not very challenging, even though I've lost some people to nasty stuff and felt bad about that. Lost a good support captain in a terror mission, she will be mourned. Made some mistakes in this game as well, I'm on my 4th month now and I only have 2 satellites, and 5 countries have left.. Still, I appreciate the Ironman option in this difficulty.

Also played some on Classic (no Ironman enabled). The difficulty feels just right, the aliens are threatening and you have to think carefully how to proceed. Yet I cannot help but reload the game if things go badly, I lose a member - and this really bugs me. It feels like cheating (to me) and is ultimately sucking the joy out of this playthrough knowing my squad is invincible.

Started the game on a whim on Impossible difficulty yesterday as well. It's downright brutal and the game fully expects you to savegame cheese in it. I really don't feel bad reloading and I do that a lot. Sometimes I have to load a save I made a few turns earlier, because I've played myself into a corner with no way out. You are surrounded and heavily outnumbered in every mission and have to resort to picking the aliens one by one and "pulling". I probably spent 1,5 hours in the second mission of the game, and I already have two countries in red after that, lol. It's just insane. But fun!

So yeah, I'm in a pickle :p

I wouldn't be too worried about my Impossible game if I had a good grip of the economy stuff.. I might continue on Normal Ironman to get a good idea of what to build/research, but at the same time I'm worried those rules don't count for Impossible.

Salsa

I wish I knew which of my three playthroughs to cotinue..

I've been playing a lot on Normal Ironman mode, it's fun but not very challenging, even though I've lost some people to nasty stuff and felt bad about that. Lost a good support captain in a terror mission, she will be mourned. Made some mistakes in this game as well, I'm on my 4th month now and I only have 2 satellites, and 5 countries have left.. Still, I appreciate the Ironman option in this difficulty.

Also played some on Classic (no Ironman enabled). The difficulty feels just right, the aliens are threatening and you have to think carefully how to proceed. Yet I cannot help but reload the game if things go badly, I lose a member - and this really bugs me. It feels like cheating (to me) and is ultimately sucking the joy out of this playthrough knowing my squad is invincible.

Started the game on a whim on Impossible difficulty yesterday as well. It's downright brutal and the game fully expects you to savegame cheese in it. I really don't feel bad reloading and I do that a lot. Sometimes I have to load a save I made a few turns earlier, because I've played myself into a corner with no way out. You are surrounded and heavily outnumbered in every mission and have to resort to picking the aliens one by one and "pulling". I probably spent 1,5 hours in the second mission of the game, and I already have two countries in red after that, lol. It's just insane. But fun!

So yeah, I'm in a pickle :p

I wouldn't be too worried about my Impossible game if I had a good grip of the economy stuff.. I might continue on Normal Ironman to get a good idea of what to build/research, but at the same time I'm worried those rules don't count for Impossible.

start a new one, Classic + Ironman

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm about to
raid the crashed Overseer
. This isn't the last mission, is it?

Nope. The game gives a very obvious, very explicit warning before the final mission. There's no way you can pass the point of no return without knowing.

desverger

start a new one, Classic + Ironman

Ouch, not sure I want to :) Maybe if I completed the game once and had a good understanding of it. Right now I'm not even sure if my tactic of stacking a lot of engineers in the start is a good one :p

Actually my very first game was Classic Ironman, it got royally screwed when my squads kept dying and I had to go against Mutons with rookies, lol.

FtHTiny

Is there a way to turn of the slow-mo animations somehow. It´s getting annoying to know the shot will hit/miss before he even fires because it´s an animation i already know it will hit/miss.

TTG

a sectoid or a thin man

Definitely practice stunning all the aliens. Besides the interrogation, it's the only way to get weapons intact without spending scarce resources. Later in the game, even thin men carry weapons very much worth having.

So i finished the game. That ending was dumb, but who cares about the story in this game? I did think it was odd/funny
how they talked about how the ship was turning into a black hole...and then forget about it afterwards and the ship just blows up normally.

Classic is done, now I guess I need to see how far I can get in Impossible.

Question: Advanced flight research in the foundry, worth the huge investment?

Not really. It doubles the amount of times you can move with flight enabled via the archangel armor. But I only use that armor for snipers, and I don't find them needing to move with it on more than 6 times a map.

Moving with flight on is a pain in the ass anyway because it doesn't always properly display how far you can move.

TTG

Not really. It doubles the amount of times you can move with flight enabled via the archangel armor. But I only use that armor for snipers, and I don't find them needing to move with it on more than 6 times a map.

Moving with flight on is a pain in the ass anyway because it doesn't always properly display how far you can move.

Thanks, maybe I jumped ahead in terms of research, but money is never an issue anymore. Ellerium and weapon fragments are in shortage though. :D I got archangel and a hovering shiv to play around with, no need for upgrading it.

Loss after loss. Dumb decision after another from me left my team in pieces. Alien pieces.

I might feel like shit for doing so, but I'm so tempted to play with a trainer for one runthrough.

KePoW

Banned
Loss after loss. Dumb decision after another from me left my team in pieces. Alien pieces.

I might feel like shit for doing so, but I'm so tempted to play with a trainer for one runthrough.

What, why would you do that??

You should at least play on Easy for real before using cheats.

TTG

Just encountered a bug with the hover shiv, where he is built without a weapon. What's worse is that reloading doesn't fix it.

I remember hearing that this game was in development for 5 years, and yet the number of bugs people have run into seems to be way above average. Not Skyrim bad, but way out there.

doomquake

how long can you avoid doing the
Priority missions that progress the game plot and increase difficulty? I am so pissed that i rushed and f myself really bad on normal ironman with the alien base. difficulty progression through plot missions is the shittiest shit ever

My soldiers get really attached to Shivs (and aliens). One gets blown up and their Will drops because they lost a brother in arms. "Semper Fidelis, Goliath-1". Same goes when a mind controlled Alien is murdered. Can do without this kind of developer oversight if playing on Classic as it's tough enough as it is.
Anyway, finished it. Should have brought more anti-Psi Helmets. I lost 2 soldiers in the campaign (normal difficulty non-ironman) and one of those was a Shiv but I lost 3 (well 4 technically) at the end, but they weren't on the stats. And it was February when I finished, nearly a whole year of Alien invasions!

Top Bottom