• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Xater

I'm so hyped for X-Com that I download and am playing xenowar on my phone.

It's not very good, I should probably just get the DOS originals heh.

I wanted to play Xenonauts but I guess the first Mac release will be with the beta and that one is supposed to come out on October 9th...

FtHTiny

After watching the stream today i finally preorderd it. It´s a long time i played a game like this. Looking forward to it.

MacBosse

Hype hype hype! I'm a long-time fan of the original and boy this looks awesome!

Thank you Firaxis, thank you indeed!

Sanctuary

So what's the deal with the action points in this game? From what I saw of all of the demos, they said that you could either use them to move, then attack or move longer distances. In this demo, you can't ever fire your weapon after moving...but you can toss a grenade (wtf?). Yet the enemy has no problems at all moving and shooting in the same turn.

epmode

In this demo, you can't ever fire your weapon after moving...but you can toss a grenade (wtf?)..

Not true. Try it again and take a close look at your movement range. You can either go half-distance and take a shot or blow your entire turn on a full move (dashing). The UI makes a clear distinction between the two ranges.

Tu101uk

So what's the deal with the action points in this game? From what I saw of all of the demos, they said that you could either use them to move, then attack or move longer distances. In this demo, you can't ever fire your weapon after moving...but you can toss a grenade (wtf?). Yet the enemy has no problems at all moving and shooting in the same turn.
There's no free aim/free shooting like the original games. You have to have line of sight of the aliens and be within decent range. And like you pointed out, only certain things (like grenades and rocket launchers) have free aim/free shooting.

Also, as epmode mentioned, if you move too far first (i.e. where it's orange), you can't do a second action. If you move to a place in the nearer blue zone, you'll be able to do actions.

Sanctuary

Not true. Try it again and take a close look at your movement range. You can either go half-distance and take a shot or blow your entire turn on a full move (dashing). The UI makes a clear distinction between the two ranges.

I did pay attention, which is why I'm complaining about it. Dashing uses both points, while non dashing distances uses only half. Using half, still never allowed me to fire a gun ever until after the Aliens had their turn. It may just be a line of sight issue, but I swear there were a few times where I ended up in a flanking position, yet still could not do anything other than all of the non "shoot" actions, and I could still move. I'll have to play the demo again.

Ponti

I did pay attention, which is why I'm complaining about it. Dashing uses both points, while non dashing distances uses only half. Using half, still never allowed me to fire a gun ever until after the Aliens had their turn. It may just be a line of sight issue, but I swear there were a few times where I ended up in a flanking position, yet still could not do anything other than all of the non "shoot" actions, and I could still move.

Some weapons can't be used after you move. Sniper Rifles and Rocket Launchers I know for sure, there might be some others. I think the Assault class comes with a Run and Gun ability which lets them dash and shoot in the same turn as well.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Some weapons can't be used after you move. Sniper Rifles and Rocket Launchers I know for sure, there might be some others. I think the Assault class comes with a Run and Gun ability which lets them dash and shoot in the same turn as well.

Correct, snipers for example can't move and shoot so even if you don't dash and only use 1 point you can't shoot since it needs two.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
a 9.5 from GameInformer.

Hm, not bad. Will keep an eye on this.

Sanctuary

There's an ability that changes that I think.

Eh, that's good to know. I was wondering if units would end up being able to learn skills that reduced the cost of actions. Other than the obvious cost, I think my initial problem was just line of sight or something. Because even in the very first tutorial mission they have you flank an alien and fire in the same turn. Speaking of line of sight; maybe it's just the strange angle of the glam cam or something, but one of the snake men seemed like he spit through a building to hit one of my units that was on the opposite side (of a wall) from where his head seemed to be when he spit.

Seems like 2K has put a lot of money into this game, not only in development budget but also marketing support. It will do fine on PC but I hope we see Halo Wars numbers on consoles, so other big publishers will look into bringing strategy games back.

Remmy2112

Eh, that's good to know. I was wondering if units would end up being able to learn skills that reduced the cost of actions. Other than the obvious cost, I think my initial problem was just line of sight or something. Because even in the very first tutorial mission they have you flank an alien and fire in the same turn. Speaking of line of sight; maybe it's just the strange angle of the glam cam or something, but one of the snake men seemed like he spit through a building to hit one of my units that was on the opposite side (of a wall) from where his head seemed to be when he spit.

Unfortunately the option to allow Snipers to move and shoot in the same turn is a choice that makes you wish you could have both cakes and eat them. Move and shoot in the same turn (at a -20 aim penalty) or squad sight, which allows them to fire at any enemy another ally sees provided there's no hard obstructions.

If this game really succeeds I wonder if the FPS version will get the AAA treatment.

They build the brand of Xcom up with this game and perhaps we even get another Xcom game... only to have the hype and brand management destroyed by the shooter.

: - (

Ricker

So looks like the console demo will hit after the game is out next week?...nothing I find dumber then releasing a demo after a game is out...

Corky

This game will unlock in approximately 6 days and 10 hours

So it'll be thursday morning for me. Dear zombie jesus let me have my steam-key by then.

FStop7

Banned
I ended up ordering the PC version on disc from Amazon rather than Steam. Why? It comes with an art book, and I'm a sucker for those. And a $15 credit, which makes the cost about the same.

I just found out this is coming to consoles. I'm not a strategy fan but I like what they're doing with the choices you can make in the game. Any news on a casual mode and the length and replay value?

zchen

They both have the Elite Soldier Pack DLC, but I do believe the TF2 extras and the free copy of Civ5 are Steam store exclusive.

If they're both the same price, the Steam one sounds like a no-brainer...

it appears the Amazon download version is $44.99 and also come with Civ5 now. time to buy?

I just found out this is coming to consoles. I'm not a strategy fan but I like what they're doing with the choices you can make in the game. Any news on a casual mode and the length and replay value?

infinite replay value really since so many different ways you can tackle each scenario and research etc etc.

As for casual mode there is an "easy" setting which pretty much assures that the player will be able to handle the aliens in combat situations.

infinite replay value really since so many different ways you can tackle each scenario and research etc etc.

As for casual mode there is an "easy" setting which pretty much assures that the player will be able to handle the aliens in combat situations.

Thanks. I'm being really picky about my purchases lately. I like that there's a bit of active combat (even if it is just moving your character slightly).

Dakota47

I bet this XCOM will be the perfect gateway game into the strategy genre for you. Normal difficulty should be very doable for someone who has no experience whatsoever with turn-based games. Replay value is high; on a typical campaign you'll play through about thirty maps, out of a total of eighty. Also placement and enemy types are randomized, so every playthrough will be different. And there is the multiplayer component which looks like a lot of fun.

EDIT What babeslayer said.

Corky

Speaking of replay value, I ain't stopping until I conquer Impossible Ironman.

[I've made a huge mistake]

Speaking of replay value, I ain't stopping until I conquer Impossible Ironman.

[I've made a huge mistake]

That... would be amazing.

I think as a noobie I might work my way up through the difficulties but always use Ironman. I'm too lazy to reload anyways.

Thanks. I'm being really picky about my purchases lately. I like that there's a bit of active combat (even if it is just moving your character slightly).

Being picky (IE smart with money) is a good thing. To be honest I think this game appeals (or at least should) to a large portion of people. First and foremost it appeals to anyone who is a turn based strategy fan, I don't think a company with as much turn based strat. cred as Fraxis has would put out anything not top notch in that department. Also it should appeal to people (like myself) who are sci-fi nerds and love ideas surrounding alien encounters and what that might look like or mean for humanity etc etc. I also think it will appeal to people who want a competitive game, but want it a bit deeper than your Call of Duty or other first person shooters. I wouldn't say it has as much depth as StarCraft or anything like that, but accessible enough to where someone can be new to it and have a lot of fun, but deep enough to where you can really do a lot of theory crafting and "Chess" level thinking against your opponent. I think it also would appeal to people who are sadists (the Dark/Demon Soul players) of which I guess I fall into that category again. It gives you the option to not only turn up the difficulty but eliminate the ability to reload saves. (this is an option you have to choose to do so don't be scared by it) I expect to see many destroyed earths due to the "Ironman" mode...but oh the joy and accomplishment when I do prevail against the impossible....

Top Bottom