• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

RyanDG

Fuck you game. Classic Ironman done.
GOTY
uSDkJ.jpg

MVP... Double tap is almost too good.

Never have I felt so good about earning an achievement...

Despera

Banned
I once saved the game during a mission, right before my sniper attempted to double tap a Cyberdisk with 89% shots. In any case, he missed the first shot and hit with the second one. And upon reloading, he did the same.

I did this over 10 times, and nothing changed. It's like the game already calculated which shots would hit and which shots wouldn't. I thought the calculation would only occur when you took the shot.

I once saved the game during a mission, right before my sniper attempted to double tap a Cyberdisk with 89% shots. In any case, he missed the first shot and hit with the second one. And upon reloading, he did the same.

I did this over 10 times, and nothing changed. It's like the game already calculated which shots would hit and which shots wouldn't. I thought the calculation would only occur when you took the shot.

Discussed on the previous page, but the game generates a seed at the beginning of a mission that determines the course of the action.

Xarudace

Banned

It calculates each time an action occurs. If you had moved one of your other soldiers, the first shot would have been recalculated.

Hawk269

Has there been any recent talk of DLC or additional patches for the game? Personally, I think the MP portion needs 3-4 more maps and perhaps something more to give it some more depth.

http://techland.time.com/2012/10/12/why-xcoms-random-results-sometimes-arent-and-you-should-play-on-ironman/

Has there been any recent talk of DLC or additional patches for the game? Personally, I think the MP portion needs 3-4 more maps and perhaps something more to give it some more depth.

The console versions check for DLC when you load it up so i would guess something is coming.

I hope to holy internet jesus that it isn't MP related. The MP in this game is such a waste of resources.

Also, make it steam workshop, firaxis!

TTG

Fuck you game. Classic Ironman done.
GOTY

Well done! That's gonna be my next playthrough. I think I'll be taking it very slowly though, something like a mission a day.

How hard was it to come back from 4 battles lost and so many dead?

They really, really, REALLY need to fix the way mouse controls work in buildings with multiple floors. I just did a
large UFO landing
mission that was made ten times more frustrating due to wrestling with the mouse. The game just didn't know when to reveal or hide parts of the wall, making it looks like a huge flickery mess, and the actual movement cursor would hang on parts of the map I wanted to move over. It's a fucking nightmare.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They really, really, REALLY need to fix the way mouse controls work in buildings with multiple floors. I just did a
large UFO landing
mission that was made ten times more frustrating due to wrestling with the mouse. The game just didn't know when to reveal or hide parts of the wall, making it looks like a huge flickery mess, and the actual movement cursor would hang on parts of the map I wanted to move over. It's a fucking nightmare.

I did that same mission today and it was fucking awful. Almost switched to the controller, but couldn't be bothered to go into the options.

RyanDG

How hard was it to come back from 4 battles lost and so many dead?

A pain in the ass, mostly because the 4 losses all occurred relatively early in the play through. A funny story about it all though - my MVP - Juan "Johnny" Rico was actually involved in each of the 4 losses. Because he had been with me for so long, when things went to shit he was often times the one making his way back to the command ship as quickly as possible. During a terror mission in India when the game decided to throw out 7 or 8 chrysalids, a cyberdisk, and a couple of drones all at once (I think I posted a screenshot of this 'first contact' earlier in the thread), I made a concerted effort to put up a defensive position. When it was clear that I was just getting plain murdered, I actually made the choice to sacrifice 3 other soldiers just to get Rico out of there.

I also had a Heavy, Campbell, that was with me for 24 missions. He was Rico's best asset the entire time they were together. Through shear dumb luck, the heavy wasn't involved in any of the early losses (mostly from recouping from injuries at the time). Between his Holo Targets and Group Suppression, he basically was a walking tank that set up damn near half of Rico's kills. Unfortunately, due to a series of really bad "dice rolls", the unthinkable happened... During an alien ufo encounter, a well placed grenade from an elite floater ended up killing a guy and injuring Campbell, who was already hurt from a Berserker battle that ended poorly. Rico panicked at the site of the death and in a reaction, shot Campbell in the back of his head killing him instantly.

Rico never forgave himself for that.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm not sure i have the nerves to start my Classic Ironman run. I'm scared, folks.

Ketch

I also had a Heavy, Campbell, that was with me for 24 missions. He was Rico's best asset the entire time they were together. Through shear dumb luck, the heavy wasn't involved in any of the early losses (mostly from recouping from injuries at the time). Between his Holo Targets and Group Suppression, he basically was a walking tank that set up damn near half of Rico's kills. Unfortunately, due to a series of really bad "dice rolls", the unthinkable happened... During an alien ufo encounter, a well placed grenade from an elite floater ended up killing a guy and injuring Campbell, who was already hurt from a Berserker battle that ended poorly. Rico panicked at the site of the death and in a reaction, shot Campbell in the back of his head killing him instantly.

Rico never forgave himself for that.

And that's how Rico got PTSD

Well, I beat the game on Normal Ironman. Yay!

I was feeling good, so I figured that I'd start my Classic run.

Classic is nothing like Normal.

The huge swing in basic accuracy between Normal and Classic has totally screwed me up, and I feel completely tactically unprepared. Shots that would hit most of the time in Normal are coin flips in Classic, and aliens are much, much more accurate.

I'm not giving up, but I'm not quite sure how to deal with this.

Classic is like you were Andy Dufrense, just walkin' along, then you figure out your wife has been sleeping with another dude. All of the sudden, you're in Shawshank being forced to give the bad guys blow jobs.

Clunker

I absolutely love ironman mode because I kind of hate ironman mode. After my terrible mistake yesterday that cost me 4 of my best soldiers (and the only psionic I had), I was furious and I would have just reloaded. But now I've managed to claw my way back into something approaching a comfortable state of affairs, my unkillable Assault, Socks, is now a colonel, and he's leading my former B-squad to glory. It feels so awesome to be able to recover from such a crippling blow, but it also reminds me how one single turn can change the entire dynamic of a battle. Now I'm playing more cautiously - except for Socks, who still goes in guns blazing.

Poised for the endgame now (
about to use the Gollop chamber
), and I'm way excited. This is all on Normal, so I don't even know how terrible I'll do on Classic, though. :(

Oh, and FYI: If you buy the "new guy" officer school upgrade and you already have some rookies in your barracks, it works retroactively and they all get promoted to squaddies. I made this pleasant discovery when trying to rebuild my team.

TTG

So, what are the rules for suppression actually? Sometimes, I will take away an enemy's turn completely. Other times, it feels useless. Is there a point, I'm thinking if an enemy has a shot at a flanked soldier, where they overcome suppression?

boinx

The console versions check for DLC when you load it up so i would guess something is coming.

I hope to holy internet jesus that it isn't MP related. The MP in this game is such a waste of resources.

Also, make it steam workshop, firaxis!

Yeah there is DLC coming, there are new Steam achievements for the game and that makes me a happy camper

So I'm on impossible fighting 2 groups of Berserkers, and am in a great position to take them down without taking too much damage, when a fucking Sectopod spawns right in the middle of my units and screws everything up. I didn't even move either! The broken spawns in this game...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
okay this is very important before i continue my game:

do gas station pumps explode in this

Boy, do they. I was wrecking a crew of mutons from a gas station when out of nowhere one of those purple fucks lobbed a plasma grenade at me. Five KIA just like that.

TTG

Well, that is pretty obvious.

The only reason I'd overwatch an enemy that can see me is when I'm pretty sure that it's going to fall back.

The more I play the game, the less I overwatch. Hunker down or using that turn to simply run out of sight is more valuable. I used to overwatch a lot when I was in the middle of battle, but didn't have a good percentage shot on anyone, which was terrible strategy.

It still has its uses when there are some enemies in sight though. You're almost never fighting a single enemy and there's a chance more will jump into view on the alien turn. It's just not likely that you will predict enough of what the enemies' sight lines are to discern if overwatch will be triggered, even if it's true that an enemy won't move if it "sees" you're in overwatch(how does this apply to a berserker or a cryssalid, for example? or what if it has multiple targets in view? In my experience, a laser disk will float around without giving a shit)

xenist

Yeah, I don't get the "LOL overwatch easymode" reactions I'm reading left and right. Way, way, way too unpredictable to be a mainstay. By the third time I got four missed reaction shots in a row on a Muton Berserker three squares away I all but gave up on it. Coupled with squadsight and opportunist it's awesome for snipers but other than making a killbox and having a support as bait to draw aliens into my field of fire it's merely a way for me to spend any remaining actions.

RyanDG

I'm a big fan of Overwatch combined with Flush as well when an enemy is in full cover and I'm getting extremely low hit chances.

Izick

Yeah, I was worried coming in that it would be hard to play with a controller, but as with Civ. Revolution, I found the controls to be awesome.

Firebrand

After getting repeatedly destroyed without barely getting kills I finally won a multiplayer match, oh yeah. Got the Bubonic achievement too.

Yeah, I was worried coming in that it would be hard to play with a controller, but as with Civ. Revolution, I found the controls to be awesome.
I tried the KB&M controls last night and while I didn't really learn the hotkeys which is probably necessary, I find the gamepad much more comfortable to use.

First time playing, Normal Ironman, and I was doing pretty well, only losing a rookie or two but then that first base assault came by. It was tough but we had gotten through it with only one casualty. Then the first sectoid commander appeared.

A risky run and gun was the only reason I was victorious, and with only two men standing at that.

eshwaaz

With Dishonored wrapped up, I finally cracked open XCOM. Played about an hour of the tutorial last night. I'm a complete strategy novice, so I'm simultaneously excited and intimidated. So many options and possible tactics, so much to consider and balance in both pre-mission and in-mission.

I'm sure this thread is packed with fantastic strategies and suggestions, but I've not been actively following until now. Can the vets here give me your top 3 basic tips for a new player? The game definitely has my attention, but I don't want to get my ass kicked out of ignorance.

Firebrand

I'm sure this thread is packed with fantastic strategies and suggestions, but I've not been actively following until now. Can the vets here give me your top 3 basic tips for a new player? The game definitely has my attention, but I don't want to get my ass kicked out of ignorance.

-Don't dash unless you have a good reason to do so. Use Overwatch a lot when you're exploring.

-Don't bring all veterans unless you think it's going to be really hard, rotate in some rookies and squaddies to level them up so you have reserves that are actually useful.

-Don't neglect building satellites or you'll be short on cash late-game. On normal it probably won't ruin your game, but it might inflate your game time considerably from doing missions while waiting for more money. You can build multiple satellites in parallel without any penalties, which is a good thing to do as they take a long time to build.

-The grey market is really useful for getting some extra money when you need it right before a mission. Stuff that's marked with green text as having no research value should be sold. You can also sell a small amount of other stuff if you really need to, but I'd recommend not selling off too many of your sectoid corpses or weapon fragments. Sectoids will get rarer as the game progresses, and while it might seem like you have a tons of weapon fragments they're used for lots of projects in big batches.

-I can't count to 3.

Izick

After getting repeatedly destroyed without barely getting kills I finally won a multiplayer match, oh yeah. Got the Bubonic achievement too.

I tried the KB&M controls last night and while I didn't really learn the hotkeys which is probably necessary, I find the gamepad much more comfortable to use.

I mean, I came in kind of assuming, hey this is a RTS, so I'm not going to get the BEST experience possible, due to me buying it on the 360, but I was more than happily surprised with how well it controlled, even as things got more complicated.

Riposte

The thing about hotkeys: This game likes to move around the the overwatch key for little good reason. I wish it was always 2.

Mouse and Keyboard controls are very sloppy. However I don't want to learn how to use a controller lol. Tried it once and was annoyed by the lack of hotkeys.

Beat it, classic ironman. After a certain point the game became a cakewalk. I had 2 soldiers that made it from start to finish, a sniper and an assault. The last 15-20 missions was my team steamrolling everything, it was sad.

Can you maybe give me some advice for my classic ironman I am getting rolled so hard. Panic left and right etc. any advice on what to go after first etc?

Impossible has been conquered!

The last mission was really easy, the way it's designed it is easy to ensure you don't face more than a few enemies at a time. To take out the 2 sectopods, I stealthed my heavy and 2 snipers, got in range, shot a shredder rocket, and then used double tap and in the zone to take them out in one turn before they could get a shot off. I lucked out in the final room because my sniper and assault didn't get mind controller, so a double tap and rapid fire took out the last boss.

The beginning was hell, but once you get past the early game, impossible isn't really all that different from classic. Panic is only a problem before the alien base, and once you get a squad of sufficient rank and health, missions are no longer as hard as at the start.

I'm not sure what is left for me to do in this game now, there are some achievements left, but I don't really care too much about the ones remaining. I guess I'll wait for the DLC.

Volodja

The thing about hotkeys: This game likes to move around the the overwatch key for little good reason. I wish it was always 2.

Mouse and Keyboard controls are very sloppy. However I don't want to learn how to use a controller lol. Tried it once and was annoyed by the lack of hotkeys.
Yeah, the fact that the number hotkeys are not fixed for every function with the additional ones added after the standard ones (shoot, overwatch, reload and hunker down) but that they shift around, is really stupid. Sometimes I want to set everyone to overwatch and I have to pay attention that I'm not gonna activate Run and Gun by mistake.

Despera

Banned
Impossible has been conquered!

The last mission was really easy, the way it's designed it is easy to ensure you don't face more than a few enemies at a time. To take out the 2 sectopods, I stealthed my heavy and 2 snipers, got in range, shot a shredder rocket, and then used double tap and in the zone to take them out in one turn before they could get a shot off. I lucked out in the final room because my sniper and assault didn't get mind controller, so a double tap and rapid fire took out the last boss.

The beginning was hell, but once you get past the early game, impossible isn't really all that different from classic. Panic is only a problem before the alien base, and once you get a squad of sufficient rank and health, missions are no longer as hard as at the start.

I'm not sure what is left for me to do in this game now, there are some achievements left, but I don't really care too much about the ones remaining. I guess I'll wait for the DLC.
Ironman?

Top Bottom