• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Rufus

The thing about hotkeys: This game likes to move around the the overwatch key for little good reason. I wish it was always 2.

Mouse and Keyboard controls are very sloppy. However I don't want to learn how to use a controller lol. Tried it once and was annoyed by the lack of hotkeys.
It's on Y using M/KB, too.

Supposedly B makes them hunker down. It does nothing. I need to try and fix that sometime (bind it to something else entirely, I guess?).

Mully

Made the mistake of not having Interceptors for the other continents. Now there's a UFO over China and I can't skip it or intercept it until the Interceptors get to China in three days.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The thing about hotkeys: This game likes to move around the the overwatch key for little good reason. I wish it was always 2.

Mouse and Keyboard controls are very sloppy. However I don't want to learn how to use a controller lol. Tried it once and was annoyed by the lack of hotkeys.

Use the secondary overwatch key, 'y'.

Wunder

Hey guys, just started my first XCOM run, and referring back to someone saying people should do the tutorial and then restart: Is it obvious when the tutorial ends? I don't mind restarting at all since I can kind of see why the tutorial is 'bad' in terms of how it sets up your base and stuff, but will I get notified or will the game just keep going? Also, is there a set pattern to how my dudes get their class assigned? Such as how I play them or a set sequence, or is it pretty random?

Izick

Hey guys, just started my first XCOM run, and referring back to someone saying people should do the tutorial and then restart: Is it obvious when the tutorial ends? I don't mind restarting at all since I can kind of see why the tutorial is 'bad' in terms of how it sets up your base and stuff, but will I get notified or will the game just keep going? Also, is there a set pattern to how my dudes get their class assigned? Such as how I play them or a set sequence, or is it pretty random?

You get an achievement for it, and I'm guessing you'd get a Trophy/Steam Achievement as well.

calder

Just used a SHIV for the first time. It's awesome! What's so buggy about it?

It's pretty apparent when it happens, you'll make a SHIV and it will either be invisible (and unselectable for missions) or it will have an invisible gun (and should be scrapped, it won't fire but it WILL be selectable). One or the other happened to me 4 times, I once made 2 hover SHIVs and both were invisible which was a pretty annoying waste of resources even in late game. :|

Well just finished my first game, pretty fun. Sad I lost 2 soldiers right at the end due to mind control, I figured if I ignored them and sniped the shit out of the Ethereals they'd be ok in the end, but sadly both died when the Ethereal did. :(

Rufus

Just used a SHIV for the first time. It's awesome! What's so buggy about it?
An Alloy SHIV I built was unusable for some reason. The entry was there, but it's model wasn't and I couldn't add it to my squad. I had to scrap it and build a new one. That one then worked just fine. People have had issues with the Hover SHIV as well, with it being unable to fly or its weapons not updating.

methane47

Just finished the game.
And managed to lose no soldiers.

the 2 sectopods did manage to half the health of 3 of my guys.. including the chosen one because I grouped them together and they took some AOE sectopod damage.

Luckily the second sectopod attacked my mind controlled muton instead of the group, and because of that i was able to double tap them to death.

The final room went extremely well actually.

I started off in a terrible position. movement glitched and i ran my sniper up the top too far, and that triggered the spawn of the enemies while the rest of my forces were still at the door.

But i went ahead and mind controlled the 2 mutons (100% chance) and moved my other guys into better position.

Enemies spent the entire turn killing one muton and taking the other down to 1 hp. By that time i had moved everyone up far enough that i could take down the HP for all of them.
AFter that my forward sniper got mind controlled but shortly after that i killed the etheral which released the mind control and I was able to use that sniper to double tap the Boss to death (thank god cuz he was the last person with TUs available).

Now onto classic

Mike M

Nick N
Hit a game-breaking glitch on the 360 version : (

Sniper with Archangel armor and Double Tap was camped out in the sky, but ran out of ammo after the first shot. Can't reload the gun, can't move, can't target the last fucking alien w/ only 2 HP with my pistol, I can only toggle flight on and off.

Is there a way to end a turn without taking an action that I'm just completely unaware of?

Rufus

I think select ends the turn? I only plugged my controller in once.

I hate when the battle music loops over and over, even after there are no more aliens in sight. I wonder if its a bug.
I've long since turned the music and voices down completely. I wish I could stop the people in the base from babbling, too, because it takes away your control a lot.

lol, GAF lied - the game controls better with keyboard and mouse it's not even funny. especially when you get it running at 60fps (for some reason high AA slaughters my framerate).

Izick

You can lose a couple countries and still win the game.

Ah good.

lol, GAF lied - the game controls better with keyboard and mouse it's not even funny. especially when you get it running at 60fps (for some reason high AA slaughters my framerate).

No, that means it looks and runs better. Which is expected.
---------------------------------------

Also, I'm guessing you can't capture those flying discs?

Volodja

The hotkeys for the commands are badly arranged and the pointer for moving goes apeshit whenever the level has sharp changes in height levels, making missions in things like battleships a constant fight against the camera and the pointer.
I don't know if that changes any with a controller, however.

McNum

Ah good.

---------------------------------------

Also, I'm guessing you can't capture those flying discs?
You can't capture Cyberdisks,
Chryssalids
, and
Sectopods
. Technically, you can't catch Drones and bring them back to base, but... There are ways to do something neat, but kind of useless with them.

Riposte

The hotkeys for the commands are badly arranged and the pointer for moving goes apeshit whenever the level has sharp changes in height levels, making missions in things like battleships a constant fight against the camera and the pointer.

Aiming grenades can be a bit of a nightmare too in some situations.

Volodja

Aiming grenades can be a bit of a nightmare too in some situations.
Oh god, it is so fiddly, it isn't bound to the grid and it is very sensitive so it just keeps shaking around while I scan around searching for a spot where I can actually drop the granade while at the same time trying to hit as many objectives as I can.

I don't really understand - the mouse and camera lag is shitty at anything below 60fps, so once you iron that out it becomes pleasant to use keyboard and mouse again.

I don't use hotkeys, I just click the icons. I find it's much easier to do that than remembering what button does what (which is a downfall of the controller in a game like this, it basically turns a 360 pad into a big mess of hotkeys). I feel it's un-necessary in turn based strategy.

Liberty4all

Banned
As usual, the answer is PC. It does everything the console version does, better, with modding potential.

I don't have a controller for my PC (although it is a pretty high end rig). I'm thinking though I may want to play this one on the TV ....

How about 360 vs PS3? Any one version superior?

Also is mp only 2 player?

Volodja

I don't use hotkeys, I just click the icons. I find it's much easier to do that than remembering what button does what (which is a downfall of the controller in a game like this, it basically turns a 360 pad into a big mess of hotkeys). I feel it's un-necessary in turn based strategy.
The hotkeys are still there and they are suboptimally configured, I think, and clicking the icons and then ok is quite slow and clunky, so pretty bad either way as far as I'm concerned.
Either way, it doesn't change the fact that navigation in some missions is a matter of turning your camera around every 5 seconds so that your soldiers don't jump down of a ledge in the middle of an enemy pack with no cover.

I don't have a controller for my PC (although it is a pretty high end rig). I'm thinking though I may want to play this one on the TV ....

If you have a ps3, you have a controller for PC. You just have to install the program to make it work.

Vol5

360 PS3 or PC version? Debating on grabbing this.

Well definitely not the PS3 version.

Went PS3 to play with my friend in MP. Surprised there's nobody posting about how bad it runs on PS3. Woeful screen tearing and slowdown so bad I had to turn off mid-terror-mission in Acapulco....I couldn't focus. Sacked it off for the PC version.

The battle music starts when an alien sees one of your guys, NOT when you see one of them. So, if you hear it, you're spotted.
I find that kind of hard to believe, at least in this particular instance. We were going through a huge UFO. The last couple of enemies were in a sealed room in the back that took us a few turns to get to, but the battle music was playing the whole time. Since basically half way through the mission.

epmode

Perhaps it's a deliberate decision to make you feel more powerful in relation to the aliens as the game goes on. I'm certain the developers have read similar criticism of the first game so they had ample opportunity to change it up.

McNum

Perhaps it's a deliberate decision to make you feel more powerful in relation to the aliens as the game goes on. I'm certain the developers have read similar criticism of the first game so they had ample opportunity to change it up.
It's faithful to the old game like this, at least. You start out outmatched, then you catch up, then the aliens race ahead, then this repeats a few times until you're fielding a squad of psionic sharpshoters with a Blaster Launcher in the backpack. The aliens have no answer to that. In this game, you manage to pull just ahead in the end, too.

Riposte

It's faithful to the old game like this, at least. You start out outmatched, then you catch up, then the aliens race ahead, then this repeats a few times until you're fielding a squad of psionic sharpshoters with a Blaster Launcher in the backpack. The aliens have no answer to that. In this game, you manage to pull just ahead in the end, too.

Briefly speaking, I don't like that much at all.

That being said, I think "Ironman mode" makes XCOM. Going Ironman will likely make that period of time where the game begins to default on itself a more distant goal. Given how weak the strategy portion of the game is, it really helps when tactical consequences are felt in that area and then poured back into the tactical arena as deep tension for each risky maneuver.

I wonder if they will fix hired soldier health on Classic.

EDIT: Am I crazy or is there no way to map your own movement? That really bugs me. It hasn't lead to me revealing too much of the map (and thus a "waking" a potential threat) yet, but I have ran right through poison clouds.

This game is better at the beginning when you are struggling than it is towards the end. Which I guess is typical.

I like games that make you feel weak at the beginning, but strong towards the end. It makes you feel like you've actually come far from where you started. And even though you get really powerful at the end, one cocky slip up and you could end up having your team take some serious damage, putting half your team in medical, or worse dead. On top of that, it's entirely possible to get unlucky and get two missions back-to-back and have to send out a squad of underdeveloped soldiers which screws up the balance.

To me, I think the part where the game messes up is the Overseer. You have to spend so much time first researching the relay, then building the relay, then if you haven't already researching and then building a Firestorm, then you have to wait until the Overseer attacks a Firestorm-enabled continent. It usually takes at least 2-3 months, and during this time period you're getting endgame armor and all your soldiers are leveling up. You don't have any extra difficulties on the ground or consequences while waiting to attack the Overseer, which is where that extra push of badassness comes from

Riposte

I like games that make you feel weak at the beginning, but strong towards the end. It makes you feel like you've actually come far from where you started.

Ideally this would naturally happen with player skill. Which it has (thanks to plenty of restarts), but that's not the full story.

Izick

Yeah, I like still being challenged at the end, but I DON'T like when something feels complely cheap and spikes in difficulty, like your typical fighting game boss. I like knowing I worked for the upgrades I got, and I also learned the game along the way. Kind of a dual progression.

Anyone else holding off on making SHIVs?

Just
assaulted the alien base, was really easy as it only threw Mutons, Berserkers and Floaters at me, and the level design gave my snipers and shotgunner a lot of good positions. Is it possible to kill the psionic sectoid before he takes control of one of your soldiers? If I do the same later on in the game, and kill the controlling sectoid, does the soldier die as the regular sectoids do?

I'm enjoying the 360 version (my PC decided to die right before launch) I'm loving the game, after about 20 hours and several runs its only glitches twice.

Zeliard

Yeah, the fact that the number hotkeys are not fixed for every function with the additional ones added after the standard ones (shoot, overwatch, reload and hunker down) but that they shift around, is really stupid. Sometimes I want to set everyone to overwatch and I have to pay attention that I'm not gonna activate Run and Gun by mistake.

You guys do realize there are other binds for those commands, right?

Anyone else holding off on making SHIVs?

Just
assaulted the alien base, was really easy as it only threw Mutons, Berserkers and Floaters at me, and the level design gave my snipers and shotgunner a lot of good positions. Is it possible to kill the psionic sectoid before he takes control of one of your soldiers? If I do the same later on in the game, and kill the controlling sectoid, does the soldier die as the regular sectoids do?

On first playthrough I built like 4 or 5 SHIVS. On my second playthrough, I haven't even researched SHIVs yet. I don't think they're terribly useful, unless you use them while your guys are out of commission as backup.

As for your spoilered question:
If you kill the sectoid controlling your soldier, they just come back under your control, they don't die.

Top Bottom