• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

yarden24

eh, ill ask again because its new page and all, is anyone in Europe going to VPN and get it early that way? I want to know what the risks are/ legality of it

Maiger

Even though I have a ridicilous backlog and and not that much time to play games in the coming weeks, I still bought this. Game just looks too great to pass. I am ready for some XCOM, baby! Although my squad might be not, as I'm going to get them all killed. I'm wonderin how to name the members of my squad, do I just take some random names from GAF or what, but that seems somewhat creepy. In the end it doesn't probably matter, being part of a squad I'm commanding is more like an immediate deathwish. Feel free to use my name for some puny meatshield, but please at least send me a PM when I inevitably die.

I'm so unsure on if I'll like this game or not. The demo doesn't really help. I know it's an excellent game, but I don't know if it's for me. Maybe I'll wait for the Steam Christmas sales.

I think this is the first Turn-based game I've played. The demo was quite good but i'm not 100% sure, i bought it anyway. I hope i actually enjoy the full game.

I've played the original countless times and have been waiting over 10 years for another take on it. It's my favourite game of all time.

I thought having to wait until Friday to give it a go would be torture but a strange Zen calm has overcome me. I'm just so happy that its coming out and I really hope it does well. It sounds like it deserves to.

Classic ironman or death. :)

eh, ill ask again because its new page and all, is anyone in Europe going to VPN and get it early that way? I want to know what the risks are/ legality of it
I intend to VPN it. Technically it's against the ToS of Steam but I believe no one's been banned for using it yet. As long as you own the game and you're not buying from another Steam store outside your territory there should'nt be a problem. I did it with Mass Effect 2 and it was fine but I believe the ToS has changed sine then. Still others have used VPN since with no bans.

Ponti

I'll be doing it. Did it with Skyrim as well. Steam don't mind you using a VPN to play games earlier so long as you don't use it to buy games cheaper.

After playing the demo on PC, I decided to cancel my 360 preorder.

I'm picking it up on PC now instead. =)

It runs fine, if a bit hiccupy in parts, but having it on PC for posterity (since my 360 will probably be getting upgraded within a year or two) seems smart.

yarden24

I'll be doing it. Did it with Skyrim as well. Steam don't mind you using a VPN to play games earlier so long as you don't use it to buy games cheaper.

I intend to VPN it. Technically it's against the ToS of Steam but I believe no one's been banned for using it yet. As long as you own the game and you're not buying from another Steam store outside your territory there should'nt be a problem. I did it with Mass Effect 2 and it was fine but I believe the ToS has changed sine then. Still others have used VPN since with no bans.

any chance one of you could tell me what I actully need to do? no idea

NIN90

any chance one of you could tell me what I actully need to do? no idea

1. Close Steam
2. Start Spotflux or your prefered VPN
3. Start Steam and let it decrypt XCOM
4. Either stay online with Steam and the VPN or close Steam, start again in Offline mode and disconnect from the VPN
5. ???
6. Play!

Yep, when I get back from work at 6am Tuesday morning I should be able to VPN there and then. The hardest thing is to go to sleep for the next night shift I have to do!

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Bought and being downloaded. Its been so long since i played a turn based strategy game, i think the last was either a GBA fire emblem or DS' advance wars.

*cough* VPN *cough*

Oh ok, so i can play it with a buddy online?

You can see how it works here, your dudes go, then my dudes go. then my dudes go, there's generally a 60-120 second time limit per turn.

On your turn, if you do things that cause sound (Busting through doors, smashing through windows, etc you can actually hear it, and adjust accordingly.

Here's a cool video of 3 games played by 2 guys from take 2, it looks like there's a core of something really fun here, but it def. sounds limited with only one game mode (Death match basically)

NIN90

I preordered the special edition on amazon.de. Hopefully they will deliver the game a couple of days earlier.

They usually don't unless it's a Blizzard release (which also have an unlock date so it doesn't matter anyway). :|

Twiccan

Neo Member
1 save file
autosave keeps saving over it constantly
your decisions matter
can't reload/redo/retry your mistakes
"rogue-like-esque"

The only aspect that Ironman mode shares with roguelike games is the "permadeath" of individual soldiers. So I guess it's "roguelike-like-like", lol.

But you still keep playing even if you lose everyone in a mission, so even that is mitigated a bit.

Edit: Also, anyone remember "MEGABONUS!!!"

*shudder*

metalshade

Just to say...WOW.
I have never played XCOM before, or any turn based game for that matter, always thought they would be dull, but I thought seeing as how this was getting a lot of attention and I am a sucker for sci-fi, I would give the steam demo a go.
Mind blown, the few minutes that the demo gives you were actually really exciting, and I really wanted to play more, and I actually let out an audible groan when the demo end screen came up.
Really looking forward to playing this one day, but alas my funds wont allow for it for many many months to come.
I hope you die hard fans get the game you've been waiting for.

Santiako

It kills me that I can't afford either this or Dishonored right now, I'll get them on the first Steam sale they are a part of or as soon as I get a job.

Alright, I'm picking this up tomorrow.
happydancep.gif

Xater

It's times like these that I wish I wasn't completely horrible at strategy games.

I think turn based strategy games are way more approachable then realtime ones. The beauty is that you are not under time pressure and contemplate about what to do next.

Twiccan

Neo Member
It's times like these that I wish I wasn't completely horrible at strategy games.

You can always play on easy. Plus, judging from the demo, it's nowhere near as brutal as the original X-Com game. That game really hates you and wants to see you cry. I've obliged it many times.

It kills me that I can't afford either this or Dishonored right now, I'll get them on the first Steam sale they are a part of or as soon as I get a job.

Jobs are good for aquiring the resources needed to purchase goods (such as games) and/or services (like internet access so you can download said games). However, jobs also ironically limit the amount of time you can spend on the very goods and services that the resources gained allow you to purchase. I think that God set it up that way on purpose.

bender

What time is it?
I think turn based strategy games are way more approachable then realtime ones. The beauty is that you are not under time pressure and contemplate about what to do next.

That doesn't matter in my case. Terror from the Deep was my first strategy game and I've tried tons of other strategy games since then (both real-time and turn-based) and I just can't wrap my head around them. It's a shame because I know I'm missing out on a lot of great games. I fall into this vicious cycle of "this will be the one that finally clicks", only to end up regretting the purchase and swearing off strategy games for the nth time.

Even right now, I have the PS3 version in my Amazon cart. My rationalization is that I have a $6 promo, it comes with an additional $15 promo and if I hate the game I can always recoup by trading it in. Why am I so weak? :p

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Preloading this bad puppy thanks to Dizzy-4U!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
1. Close Steam
2. Start Spotflux or your prefered VPN
3. Start Steam and let it decrypt XCOM
4. Either stay online with Steam and the VPN or close Steam, start again in Offline mode and disconnect from the VPN
5. ???
6. Play!

If you disconnect the VPN, do you have to stay in offline mode until the euro release date?

One comment (again based on the giantbomb quick look) is that the sniper didn't seem that useful. Didn't seem to have much more range than the other guys. Does he just have an accuracy benefit?

Steam ID

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrklaw/

Well im gonna have to live vicariously through you folks for the next 48 hours. My local shop is not getting it until wednesday morning. Its like time is passing so slow......

JambiBum

Can't play until tomorrow morning because of work :( Does the game not have DX11? I went through the demo again and noticed that it said DX9.

Top Bottom