• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

was thinking of streaming this game but might not be able to get it when i thought so i won't be able to establish myself soon enough oh well! stil lcan't wait to get $ to buy it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
We will we know about launch sales/activations? I really want this game to succeed, but at the same time I'm not sure if word of mouth is going to be enough (turn based, not very pretty, yadda yadda).

Lombax

Banned
NoooOOOooOOo!

I thought it did. Not a huge deal, but I will definitely be going back and forth between my laptop and desktop for the next couple of months. Flash drive it is.

alas no [at least there is no steam icon for it on the game page]

alstein

One Controversy on this game already: it looks like the Firaxis or Take2 folks decided to deny and punish one particular game reviewer (Tom Chick) the chance to review the game ahead of time, as punishment for his low scores on Civ 5 reviews (a well-deserved low score)

Douche move on their part.

Soren Johnson exposed this and called them out on it on his Twitter.

https://twitter.com/SorenJohnson

This game reviewer is known to be particularly tough, and has claimed this isn't the first time this has happened.

In my case, I wasn't really looking at this, but this sort of douche move guarantees that I'll avoid this game even on the Steam Sale- I can support other games, and there's enough good ones that I won't miss one particular game too much.

KaYotiX

Banned
NoooOOOooOOo!

I thought it did. Not a huge deal, but I will definitely be going back and forth between my laptop and desktop for the next couple of months. Flash drive it is.

Same, main reason i grabbed it on steam. I can take it on the road with me :)

One Controversy on this game already: it looks like the Firaxis or Take2 folks decided to deny and punish one particular game reviewer (Tom Chick) the chance to review the game ahead of time, as punishment for his low scores on Civ 5 reviews (a well-deserved low score)

This game reviewer is known to be particularly tough, and has claimed this isn't the first time this has happened.

I'm fine with this. Tom Chick runs a great message board but his reviews of PC strategy games are decidedly in the 'not to be trusted' category. He has a weird tendency to go off on a tangent in his reviews or to miss the point of a release completely when looking at PC strategy games, which is weird since it seems to be his favorite genre.

His Civ 5 G&K review was tragically bad. I wouldn't have sent him a review copy after that pile.

Lombax

Banned
My physical PC copy won't be here til Wednesday :-(

damn.gif

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Consider yourself lucky that you don't see more behind the scene stuff, "douche moves", between publishers and gamereview outlets. It would invariably lead to you boycotting 80% of the gameindustry. The guy gave civ 5 the lowest score of all outlets, and gave gods and kings 2 stars.

But whatever floats your boat.

In my case, I wasn't really looking at this, but this sort of douche move guarantees that I'll avoid this game even on the Steam Sale- I can support other games, and there's enough good ones that I won't miss one particular game too much.

its their douche move to make though..i understand if its against your ethical code, BUT if you're mentioning this because you can only get one game and needed this to help you chose between Dishonored and Xcom.. Thats cool.

alstein

Consider yourself lucky that you don't see more behind the scene stuff, "douche moves", between publishers and gamereview outlets. It would invariably lead to you boycotting 80% of the gameindustry. The guy gave civ 5 the lowest score of all outlets, and gave gods and kings 2 stars.

But whatever floats your boat.

That 2 stars was entirely deserved.

Generally, it's only the AAA guys who can afford to pull douche moves.

You're right, it's their douche move to make, but Dishonored I'll pick up later (not getting either game at full price, got enough on my plate PC-wise), this I won't.

Firaxis has kinda gone downhill ever since becoming part of Take 2.

I know it's silly to complain about a day wait but I'm really looking forward to playing it so that extra day kinda stinks.

Dishonored should pass the time though.

I think that was more for the fact you are getting a physical copy when you could DD it from steam amazon what have you. Don't worry I did the same thing due to me being a sucker for collectors edition goodies. :D Luckily I'll also be picking it up on 360 tonight along with my dishonored :p

Lombax

Banned

All I am going to say is that 2k's reaction to this dude would be the reaction of almost any publisher.
To be fair the whole "system" of reviews is a fucking mess: embargo on coverage, exclusive coverage, exclusive announcements its just dumb.
At this point I go by word of mouth, friend recommendations, and quicklooks.

Alright, It's arrived in NJ, outside chance it will reach NYC/Brooklyn tonight and hit me by tomorrow.

Really wish I'd gotten my shit together to build a PC so I didn't have to deal with this whole phsyical copy shtuff.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Cool, I haven't played enough of it to make a fair judgement. I'm sure you have though.

Generally, it's only the AAA guys who can afford to pull douche moves.

Sadly yea.

You're right, it's their douche move to make, but Dishonored I'll pick up later (not getting either game at full price, got enough on my plate PC-wise), this I won't.

I'mma get dishonored as well. Hey I wonder if Bethesda have any skeletons in their closets...nah I'm sure they're impeccable otherwise you might have to skip Dishonored :(

alstein

All I am going to say is that 2k's reaction to this dude would be the reaction of almost any publisher.
To be fair the whole "system" of reviews is a fucking mess: embargo on coverage, exclusive coverage, exclusive announcements its just dumb.

Yeah it is what the other AAA folks do, and your reaction is exactly why it's a problem.

If this game was super-highly anticipated by me, I'd probably get over it, but since it's one of those ones where I'm on the fence, and there's a glut of great games right now, I don't need to get over it.

There's enough good games by good people, though if I want to say no to a game for a non-game reason, it's not that hard for most games. It's not like there aren't thousands of indy devs who would love some free publicity.

Zomba13

So yeah, watching the GB QL made me buy this. Went with GMG because of the 25% off. Didn't feel like pay a few more pounds just to get some TF2 hats (though I do love hats).
Never played the originals but I liked what I saw.

The problem with this is not limited to X-com nor is it even the particular publisher reaction. The problem is the dependance upon the "day one review" that forces game writers to be at the mercy of publishers whether or not the publisher acts in a positive fashion toward them.

If you want to protest something, you should just refuse to buy any game day one based on reviews and wait a week or two. If everybody did that, there would be no contraversy since it wouldnt' matter whether or not publishers sent a particular reviewer a "free" game.

For my part, this is one of the very very few games I will buy day one, not because of reviews, but because I am a fan of the original, I played the demo, and have seen enough video that convinces me it is definitely worth it.

Lingitiz

The whole rating system and fascination with Metacritic is the bigger problem. Text reviews like the ones RPS do are much more descriptive and in depth than what we get most of the time.

Embargos do serve a purpose though. If they weren't around it would just be a footrace to finish the game as fast as possible in order to be first on the scene. The problem with these though is that embargoes that end on the release date are infuriating.

Clevinger

I'm fine with this. Tom Chick runs a great message board but his reviews of PC strategy games are decidedly in the 'not to be trusted' category. He has a weird tendency to go off on a tangent in his reviews or to miss the point of a release completely when looking at PC strategy games, which is weird since it seems to be his favorite genre.

His Civ 5 G&K review was tragically bad. I wouldn't have sent him a review copy after that pile.

He's sort of an entertaining guy, and I like his board, but I stopped paying attention to his game opinions after I found out he's always disliked the original Deus Ex.

He's sort of an entertaining guy, and I like his board, but I stopped paying attention to his game opinions after I found out he's always disliked the original Deus Ex.

Yeah, that's a classic.

Him getting shunned really comes out of his Civ 5 : G&K review (just re-read it, to make sure my memory was right), which was atrocious. He clearly lacked basic understanding of the underlying product's mechanics, clearly didn't like Civ 5 at all (based on his previous review), and then played the expansion expecting that things that were clearly deliberate design decisions in the original would be "fixed" in the expansion. Then he wrapped it up by playing on a stultifying difficultly level, which is easily apparent by the way he described the AI resistance in the game, clearly inappropriate for his skill level.

People think Tom's getting cold-shoulder'd because he gave a crappy review or score. No, it's because he made a bad and unfair review. Firaxis has every right not to send review copies of games to someone who repeatedly doesn't "get" their games. He can go buy it and review it if he wants to. If he's worried about lost front page revenue, I will offer advice from a DOTA/WoW player's standpoint: Stop Sucking.

Had to stop reading there.

And again.

I agree that the current review system is flawed and I am sure everyone would be better off without review scores or metacritic, but I really don't have a problem with publishers refusing to deal with reviewers that are obviously trolling.

Anyone giving Civ V or Gods and Kings 2 out of 5 (or even out of 10?) pretty much immediately sounds like a troll and after reading his review of Gods and Kings I can't really blame them. It's terrible and unbelievable biased.

Maybe they did not send him a copy, because he writes terrible reviews.

pahamrick

I never played the original X-Com, so I don't have any sort of nostalgic attachment to it. The demo, and most importantly, the media blitz by Jake Soloman and his team convinced me. It's obvious that they love this game, and poured their blood, sweat and tears into it.

They deserve every sale they've gotten, and more.

I have never played the other Xcom games, I have no idea how the difficulty is in the series, but was wondering if I want somewhat of a challenge the whole game what difficulty should I choose?

Victrix

*beard*
I have never played the other Xcom games, I have no idea how the difficulty is in the series, but was wondering if I want somewhat of a challenge the whole game what difficulty should I choose?

If you're a strategy game vet, I'd recommend Classic. If you're new, but experienced in general, play Normal. If you fear the glowing eyes lurking in the dark, play Easy.

Add Ironman on top of any difficulty once you feel you've cracked it, or bump up a difficulty level.

I think that was more for the fact you are getting a physical copy when you could DD it from steam amazon what have you. Don't worry I did the same thing due to me being a sucker for collectors edition goodies. :D Luckily I'll also be picking it up on 360 tonight along with my dishonored :p

Yeah I did it for the collectors edition plus I had credit from buying something so I had $15 which can't be used on DD for Amazon.

I think this is the first time I've bought a physical PC copy in a long while.

Dakota47

If you have no previous experience at all, I'd say go for normal. If you have played turn-based games like this before, do classic. The middle ground would be to go for normal difficulty in iron man mode (just one autosave that is refreshed after every move you make, i.e. if a team member dies he is lost forever).

edit Beaten by Victrix

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you're a strategy game vet, I'd recommend Classic. If you're new, but experienced in general, play Normal. If you fear the glowing eyes lurking in the dark, play Easy.

Add Ironman on top of any difficulty once you feel you've cracked it, or bump up a difficulty level.

You getting this too? I knew there was a reason I like you.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Classic Ironman is the only way to go. X-Com (excuse me, XCOM) is best enjoyed when it puts the fear of Cydonia into you.

Considering that the new game won't be nearly as punishing due to new dynamics (gone is the dread of opening a door and getting your junk blasted off; now you can breach doors and walls) I'd say that valiant noobs will enjoy Classic.

Victrix

*beard*
You getting this too? I knew there was a reason I like you.

Impeccable taste and a dashing hat

(I'm sort of running around trying not to explode from excitement vibrations between this, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, FTL, Planetside 2, etcetcetc, so much goodness out there right now)

Oppo

I'm locked and reloaded, and now trying to figure out ways to distract myself for the next 6 hours.

Don't know what it is about XCOM. It was barely on my radar until a month ago, then I saw some gameplay video and felt it reach it's tentacles into my forebrain like I haven't in a long, long time. Really hyped to play this. I find myself gravitating much more towards the considered, turn-based stuff in my old age. My twitch muscles aren't what they used to be.

(Also I now have to play Civ V after receiving a free copy, I never got into that one.)

The mod/Steam workshop stuff is confirmed, yes? I could see a zillion mods and maps for XCOM.

Top Bottom