• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Sh1ner

Just wanted to say with the greenmangaming 25% off I bought Xcom and Dishonoured. £22.50 each instead of £29 = awesome.

I hope Xcom gets some decent support after the games release.

My biggest wish though is someone gets Dishonoured working with Occulus Rift VR headset. I assume the movements may be a bit too jarring though for VR. I will probably pick up a 360 controller if it happens though as someone else in the coined the term of "PCsixty awesomeness"

edit: One thing I noticed though, is the GMG site really slow or something?

Soi-Fong

Just wanted to say with the greenmangaming 25% off I bought Xcom and Dishonoured. £22.50 each instead of £29 = awesome.

I hope Xcom gets some decent support after the games release.

My biggest wish though is someone gets Dishonoured working with Occulus Rift VR headset. I assume the movements may be a bit too jarring though for VR. I will probably pick up a 360 controller if it happens though as someone else in the coined the term of "PCsixty awesomeness"

Lucky. NA owners don't get the voucher, only for Dishonored does it work.

Had to stop reading there.

And again.

I agree that the current review system is flawed and I am sure everyone would be better off without review scores or metacritic, but I really don't have a problem with publishers refusing to deal with reviewers that are obviously trolling.

Anyone giving Civ V or Gods and Kings 2 out of 5 (or even out of 10?) pretty much immediately sounds like a troll and after reading his review of Gods and Kings I can't really blame them. It's terrible and unbelievable biased.

Maybe they did not send him a copy, because he writes terrible reviews.

Tom Chick is definately an iconoclast, and his style isn't for everyone. I mean, his Halo 3 review pretty terrible, but damn if it isn't entertaining, and at least different than standard stuff you read. And he gave Dues Ex a 3/10.

But the response in any of these situations is to go to that reviewer and reach out to them as a publisher. "Say hey, you didn't like our shit, but we are doing something different here, what do you think?"

One good model of this is bungie, for whom PA compared Halo to nails in a penis, but invited them to do mulitplayer matches in Halo 2, and has pingpong matches. It doesn't change a review (PA still dinged the SP of Halo 2), but it definately feeds into an industry that feels less about trading favors for score. I can see how that would certianly piss off a publisher trying to guarantee good results though.

Mike M

Nick N
The local game shop theoretically will be giving me a free copy of this to review for them, and I'm kind of psyched. Turn based strategy games are like my favorite genre ever, and I love this whole X-Files/Men in Black thing they got going on with this game.

Never played the original, despite my brother having it...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Considering that the new game won't be nearly as punishing due to new dynamics (gone is the dread of opening a door and getting your junk blasted off; now you can breach doors and walls) I'd say that valiant noobs will enjoy Classic.

You have no idea.

doomquake

dishonored twice the price of xcom in russia..sup with that...no way am i paying that for a cartoony steampunk deus ex for toddlers with Brink and Rage tacked on

Ken

Well this is (still) annoying. Have a support ticket going on with Steam right now about how I'm currently in a U.S. territory but getting the European region's release date and it's not really going anywhere. Really weird since I can just go out to GameStop today and pick up a physical copy right but if the game is Steamworks I wouldn't be able to play anyways until the 12th.

Derrick01

Banned
Can't decide between this or Dishonored.. Goddamn. lol

I mean take this with a grain of salt since it is modern reviewers, but people are throwing big phrases around with Dishonored. One of the all time greats, game of the gen, best stealth game since fucking Thief 2 (that means better than Chaos Theory obviously). Some of those came from people I trust too like RPS, who are normally above the typical problems gaming media has.

The real answer should be get both :p

matt05891

Classic Ironman is the only way to go. X-Com (excuse me, XCOM) is best enjoyed when it puts the fear of Cydonia into you.

Considering that the new game won't be nearly as punishing due to new dynamics (gone is the dread of opening a door and getting your junk blasted off; now you can breach doors and walls) I'd say that valiant noobs will enjoy Classic.

I remember on night terror missions with chrysalids blowing holes in everything possible so I didn't have to get close to doors and have them rush me. Then on a landing or ufo shoot down mission (and base invasions I suppose) not being able to (iirc) blow up alien walls and being scared around every turn, until I knew what I was up against.

And oh yeah if anyone wants a real Xcom experience even if you never played before and would like to learn do yourself a favor... Classic Ironman.

Dishonored's buzz reminds me a lot of Bioshock's, and I have a feeling it will be remembered in a similar way. If it wasn't $60 on PC I'd have pre-ordered it.

Ordinator

I was also in the XCOM vs. Dishonored camp.

Told myself I was gonna wait to get Dishonored and XCOM on a Steam sale. Hype was getting too much to handle so I compromised and decided to buy one of them now.

XCOM won.

Director of Operations – CLASSIFIED Z2_BETA // REPORTS>PRE-PROJECT REPORT 0013 – COUNCIL FUNDING OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE //

Preliminary security clearance procedures are progressing at an acceptable rate. While a large number of military personnel have been volunteered from among the ranks of the member nations, only four soldiers have completed the vetting process so far and are ready for deployment; these individuals have been assigned to Contact Team Alpha. Meanwhile, additional personnel are currently undergoing clearance procedures on-base. Alternative personnel are also being contacted, processed, and relocated, in anticipation of the unscheduled termination of the primary selections.

Science team personnel are proving more difficult to get our hands on, but we are currently liaising with a number of academic, commercial and industrial institutions around the world. It’s unfortunate that most of the fields we’re looking for experts in don’t actually exist yet, but I’m sure we can tempt some renegades out of the woodwork with talk of Xenobiology, alien technologies and massive amounts of funding. I need not remind you all that security vetting is of paramount importance in this area, so delays may be expected. Nonetheless, we have acquired a number of qualified team leads, including the infamous Dr. Billiechu (who has been assigned to head of Science Team, after vigorous internal debate) and the radical scholar Dr. Slackbladder (whose release from British custody is greatly appreciated and may yet prove vital to the defence of this planet).

Two Interceptor-class fighter jets and a Skyranger-class VTOL aircraft have arrived on-base; our Piloting and Engineering staff are currently modifying them to meet expected standards, although specifications are estimates only at this juncture. Our Operations staff have also arrived and are familiarising themselves with the base’s various technical systems. Cpt. McNum’s recall from retirement in an advisory capacity in particular is also appreciated.

Relay my thanks to the German councilmember for the use of this facility; Lt. Corky informs me that hardly any repairs were required, besides replacement signage and the like. Finally, the satellite uplink facilities are currently coming online, although due to some technical problems with our equipment we will likely not possess operational capacity for at least another week.

Sir! Cpt. Bluey reporting in. Ready to take off in the Skyranger. We'll be in the pipe, 5 x 5 in no time.

Luckily I could get both Xcom and Dishonored, though from GMG because of their discounts. Unfortunately Dishonored will be taking a back seat for a while, though I will try it out for a few hours at least over the next few days.

Director of Operations – CLASSIFIED Z2_BETA // REPORTS>PRE-PROJECT REPORT 0013 – COUNCIL FUNDING OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE //

Preliminary security clearance procedures are progressing at an acceptable rate. While a large number of military personnel have been volunteered from among the ranks of the member nations, only four soldiers have completed the vetting process so far and are ready for deployment; these individuals have been assigned to Contact Team Alpha. Meanwhile, additional personnel are currently undergoing clearance procedures on-base. Alternative personnel are also being contacted, processed, and relocated, in anticipation of the unscheduled termination of the primary selections.

Science team personnel are proving more difficult to get our hands on, but we are currently liaising with a number of academic, commercial and industrial institutions around the world. It’s unfortunate that most of the fields we’re looking for experts in don’t actually exist yet, but I’m sure we can tempt some renegades out of the woodwork with talk of Xenobiology, alien technologies and massive amounts of funding. I need not remind you all that security vetting is of paramount importance in this area, so delays may be expected. Nonetheless, we have acquired a number of qualified team leads, including the infamous Dr. Billiechu (who has been assigned to head of Science Team, after vigorous internal debate) and the radical scholar Dr. Slackbladder (whose release from British custody is greatly appreciated and may yet prove vital to the defence of this planet).

Two Interceptor-class fighter jets and a Skyranger-class VTOL aircraft have arrived on-base; our Piloting and Engineering staff are currently modifying them to meet expected standards, although specifications are estimates only at this juncture. Our Operations staff have also arrived and are familiarising themselves with the base’s various technical systems. Cpt. McNum’s recall from retirement in an advisory capacity in particular is also appreciated.

Relay my thanks to the German councilmember for the use of this facility; Lt. Corky informs me that hardly any repairs were required, besides replacement signage and the like. Finally, the satellite uplink facilities are currently coming online, although due to some technical problems with our equipment we will likely not possess operational capacity for at least another week.
Bueno. This is excellent.

Mupod

The last time someone named an X-COM soldier after me, I didn't even last one turn. Cyberdisc reaction fire on turn 1, didn't even step out of the Skyranger. Here's hoping I have a bit more luck in Jintor's.

JambiBum

So someone mentioned that you can move steam saves with drop box if a game doesn't have cloud saves. How do you do this? I'm starting out on my laptop tonight and will be moving to my desktop tomorrow and would like to start where I leave off

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So someone mentioned that you can move steam saves with drop box if a game doesn't have cloud saves. How do you do this? I'm starting out on my laptop tonight and will be moving to my desktop tomorrow and would like to start where I leave off
Steam Game Save Manager, I believe?

Hargenx

With all the respect to Dishonored, I go with X-com, is longer, has a solid Mult, and has a story in my life already(LOL), even I'm a lover of Stealth games but, oh my, I want have more time 24 hours is too little, I want to play both so bad...LOL

Sh1ner

Dishonored is better than Bioshock, though.

I am with this guy.

From the looks of it, I am surprised to see Dishonoured bashing in this thread. Why can't we just enjoy both games except just have a preference of one over the other?

For me its dishonoured first but I can't wait to give Xcom a go too. Both games look excellent and I am happy they are so different. I expect Xcom to be better in the long run as its turn based and it looks to be designed for more replayability. Only time will tell.

FStop7

Banned
I highly, highly recommend watching a few episodes of The Invaders to get yourselves in the proper mood and mindset for this evening.

aurora-ufo.JPG

pringles

The reviews have me really intrigued for this game. Been in the mood for something tactical recently... am I right in assuming this works kinda like the Advance Wars games (though I assume much more complex)?

Dishonored is better than Bioshock, though.
Better than the best game of the generation? Holy shit, I think I'd better take a closer look at this "Dishonored" game..

Grimsen

3 more hours until I leave for the store. :D

As for Dishonored, I'll wait a bit, but getting it for sure. I still have Deus Ex HR to finish, and bioshock 2 to play. Once those are done, I'll get Dishonored.

The reviews have me really intrigued for this game. Been in the mood for something tactical recently... am I right in assuming this works kinda like the Advance Wars games (though I assume much more complex)?

Closer to Fire Emblem. You play each mission with limited units who you can level up, but when they die, it's perma-death.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Doubt it.

We shall see after you have played it.

Better than the best game of the generation? Holy shit, I think I'd better take a closer look at this "Dishonored" game..

Bioshock thrives on its atmosphere and ambiance, which was fantastic. Dishonored matches that in spades, but from a gameplay perspective it is much better. From a mission/quest design perspective it isn't even a contest. At all.

when do you get your keys from GMG? I have an amazon preorder that I might cancel if I can get the key and start preloading from GMG.

EDIT: hehe, as soon as I wrote this Amazon sent me an email informing me that my key was ready. :)

Top Bottom