• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

pringles

Closer to Fire Emblem. You play each mission with limited units who you can level up, but when they die, it's perma-death.
Interesting. Perma-death will make things so damn intense..

Bioshock thrives on its atmosphere and ambiance, which was fantastic. Dishonored matches that in spades, but from a gameplay perspective it is much better. From a mission/quest design perspective it isn't even a contest. At all.
You've already played through Dishonored? It all sounds good, so many extremely positive reviews can't all be wrong either. Love the style of it, the design. Gameplay has looked really janky in all the vids I've seen though. Guess it comes together in the full game in a way that doesn't come across in trailers/short gameplay demos. Will probably wait to buy it a little while, got a bit of a backlog and right now I'm feeling much more interested in a tactical game like X-com than another FPS.

Considering how mediocre Bioshock was (especially when compared to System Shock 2), I agree.
That's like saying Bach was mediocre compared to Mozart. Or something stupid like that.

Wanny

when do you get your keys from GMG? I have an amazon preorder that I might cancel if I can get the key and start preloading from GMG.

EDIT: hehe, as soon as I wrote this Amazon sent me an email informing me that my key was ready. :)

For other people, GMG preorder gave me instantly a key for steam (NA).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
In the middle of a UFO landing mission. Almost 10 turns in. Not one alien spotted yet. On the edge of my seat O.O

when do you get your keys from GMG? I have an amazon preorder that I might cancel if I can get the key and start preloading from GMG.

EDIT: hehe, as soon as I wrote this Amazon sent me an email informing me that my key was ready. :)

I got the same email! BUT THERE IS NO KEY ON MY ACCOUNT! *sad*

KYEty.png

Hopefully Gamestop has copies with the pre-order bonus tomorrow. Hopefully I even have time to buy it tomorrow. :( I envy you who are getting it at midnight.

I am stuck between ordering the game on PC or X-Box. I like the comfort of playing in the living room where the wife can watch (her first time with X-Com) on the big screen but I know that PC is the classic way to enjoy the game. I know I can hook the PC up to the TV but I just can't get comfortabl I'm stuck GAF, help me decide!

I am stuck between ordering the game on PC or X-Box. I like the comfort of playing in the living room where the wife can watch (her first time with X-Com) on the big screen but I know that PC is the classic way to enjoy the game. I know I can hook the PC up to the TV but I just can't get comfortabl I'm stuck GAF, help me decide!

PC, you are welcome :)

Edit: mods, better res and graphics etc + most fellow gaffers will be playing there :)

Exuro

What do you mean can't get comfortable? Steam bigscreen mode with a controller should be pretty sweet.

2ish hours until decrypt starts. Cant wait!

What do you mean can't get comfortable? Steam bigscreen mode with a controller should be pretty sweet.

2ish hours until decrypt starts. Cant wait!

The way my den is setup I don't have a table where I can setup a mouse & keyboard and sit properly. Sitting with a joystick is far more comfortable. I never thought about a joystick for the PC. I suspect I can go that route then I get the best of both worlds. From the demo it didnt seem as if I would need a full up keyboard for most of the action.

Exuro

The way my den is setup I don't have a table where I can setup a mouse & keyboard and sit properly. Sitting with a joystick is far more comfortable. I never thought about a joystick for the PC. I suspect I can go that route then I get the best of both worlds. From the demo it didnt seem as if I would need a full up keyboard for most of the action.
It has full gamepad support. I tried it out and it works really well. Tied with bigscreen mode so you can launch it/use steam features its a pretty nice experience. And don't forget about eventual mods.

Have you ever looked into a $10 Lap desk? I'm using a 360 controller for X-Com but for everyone who has their PC hooked up to a TV a cheap lap desk usually bridges that gap when needing or wanting to use a KB+M. I use a mainstay lap desk.

matt05891

watching the live stream just one mission made me even more excited then the demo made me. This is definitely an XCOM game without a doubt. Hour and a half more guys!

Have you ever looked into a $10 Lap desk? I'm using a 360 controller for X-Com but for everyone who has their PC hooked up to a TV a cheap lap desk usually bridges that gap when needing or wanting to use a KB+M. I use a mainstay lap desk.

Nope never considered it until now. I'll have to post pics of my living room so you all can get some perspective.

Can't wait! Can't believe I'm really going to be playing a brand new strategy XCOM game.

Don't worry though, HP_Wuvcraft, I won't stay up all night!

Sanctuary

Think I'll get this and save Dishonored for some other time. Is it better to buy from Steam or GMG? I'm in NA.

That's what I am doing. Actually, installed XCOM last night and downloading Dishonored right now, but I won't be playing it until I finish XCOM at least twice.

Top Bottom