• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
One Controversy on this game already: it looks like the Firaxis or Take2 folks decided to deny and punish one particular game reviewer (Tom Chick) the chance to review the game ahead of time, as punishment for his low scores on Civ 5 reviews (a well-deserved low score)

Douche move on their part.

Soren Johnson exposed this and called them out on it on his Twitter.

https://twitter.com/SorenJohnson

This game reviewer is known to be particularly tough, and has claimed this isn't the first time this has happened.

In my case, I wasn't really looking at this, but this sort of douche move guarantees that I'll avoid this game even on the Steam Sale- I can support other games, and there's enough good ones that I won't miss one particular game too much.

Tom Chick isn't owned a damn review copy from anyone. Given the nature of his reviews, Firaxis probably didn't see the point in sending him a thing. Especially since his reviews of their previous games were absolutely terrible. It's not that the score the guy gives, it's the ton of his reviews. He is often insulting, belittling and pointless. Why send his dude anything? Would you? This isn't some conspiracy. He isn't owned a damn thing from any publisher out there.

graywolf323

Tom Chick isn't owned a damn review copy from anyone. Given the nature of his reviews, Firaxis probably didn't see the point in sending him a thing. Especially since his reviews of their previous games were absolutely terrible. It's not that the score the guy gives, it's the ton of his reviews. He is often insulting, belittling and pointless. Why send his dude anything? Would you? This isn't some conspiracy. He isn't owned a damn thing from any publisher out there.

fully agree with this, people need to stop trying to create needless controversy

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Without any spoilers, does anyone know how much weapons and armor research there is in this game?

I've got this nagging feeling that there will only be a handful of weapons and armor. A few variations of your basic weapons (pistol, AR, sniper, heavy) and an alien counterpart.

Did the original XCOM have a ton of research?

i just managed to talk a complete stranger into buying XCOM tomorrow :D

it was pretty easy to do though, all i had to do was explain what the game was. i said it was a tactical turn based strategy game that has fully destructible environments and utilizes cover mechanics. it also incorporates light third person shooter elements, as well as RPG elements like customization and upgrades.

he came.

zchen

oh amazon, you are such a tease with that email saying my game is available only to show unlock 9:00pm when I click the link

Without any spoilers, does anyone know how much weapons and armor research there is in this game?

I've got this nagging feeling that there will only be a handful of weapons and armor. A few variations of your basic weapons (pistol, AR, sniper, heavy) and an alien counterpart.

Did the original XCOM have a ton of research?

I think weapons are on a linear power increase, but there are items, interceptor upgrades, and base pieces you need to research too.

Just one more hour! I am just so excited for this. Classes tomorrow are gonna be a huge drag, all I'll be able to think about is this game. I think the last game to get me this hyped was Saints Row The Third.

Pre-ordered the PC version at 25% off on GMG. Going in completely blind - I had no interest in this game untill yesterday when I saw the universal acclaim.

About to bite the bullets guys! Is it better to get from GMG or Steam?

Are you able to get the 25% off on GMG? Kind of obvious if so, it's a Steam key and you even get the bonuses and free Civ V, which has made a lovely birthday gift for my mate.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I guess you can play forever. I haven't finished the 4th objective, but I have gone on a shitload of missions,

I was reading the kotaku article with tips how to play better and the first one was try to keep everyone alive.

Thanks.... :\

2911594621_fdd8132841.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
I was watching that GB quicklook. I am not experienced in the ways of X-Com. First 30 minutes i was kinda wondering what all the hub bub was about. Seemed like a competent strategy game., Then i saw all the ship stuff. Holy shiiiiiiiiiieeeeeett this looks amazing.

So I know this question has been posed a hundred times in this thread, but I'd like a recommendation regarding difficulty:

I'm not too experienced in strategy games in particular, but I'm generally pretty good at turn-based games and games in general. I was thinking Normal, but I want to have a real challenge, just not a crippling one where I'm constantly getting decimated.

Basically, I don't want Halo Legendary, I want Halo Heroic. I plan on doing Ironman no matter what, but should I do Classic or Normal?

Bigfoot

Alright, I got in on the Steam pre-order just in time. I haven't paid full price or bought a game at launch in years (PC or console). It was hard to pull the trigger because of that, but considering the original X-com is in my Top 5 games of all time, I was able to get past that road block :)

I'm pre-loading right now... probably won't be able to play until Wednesday though. :(

golem

Had a quick question on this. So if I pre-order and get the 10$ credit, can I still use that credit for Dishonored to get it for 35 bucks (after I use the GMG 25% off code and the credit).

Not probably quite yet because theyre sending out the credit after XCOM releases and their 25% code expires tonight.

But GMG has discount codes ALL the time it seems like so just wait for the next one

matt05891

So I know this question has been posed a hundred times in this thread, but I'd like a recommendation regarding difficulty:

I'm not too experienced in strategy games in particular, but I'm generally pretty good at turn-based games and games in general. I was thinking Normal, but I want to have a real challenge, just not a crippling one where I'm constantly getting decimated.

Basically, I don't want Halo Legendary, I want Halo Heroic. I plan on doing Ironman no matter what, but should I do Classic or Normal?

I'm not sure because I haven't played it yet but I would go with Classic. Truthfully part of the fun of Xcom is getting decimated while you learn. Losing in Xcom is actually fun(and sad tbh) in your comparison with Halo legendary which is just plain frustrating.

Soi-Fong

Not probably quite yet because theyre sending out the credit after XCOM releases and their 25% code expires tonight.

But GMG has discount codes ALL the time it seems like so just wait for the next one

Nope 25% off code expires on the 12th. I just pre-purchased the game here, I'm in CST NA so hopefully, I wasn't late on the 10 dollar credit or the other bonuses.

This morning I woke up with a fever and major discomfort in my groin and right side. I'm pretty sure I passed a stone and it hurts so much to sit upright right now. I've been battling a fever for the entire day and only now it appears to have broken. I also have been in tremendous pain when passing urine and there's a little blood in it.........

But.. I.. will.. play... XCOM... when...it...unlocks.....

Top Bottom