• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Victrix

*beard*
When I want to buy it at GreenManGaming I should use the 25% voucher, right? Or is there a better promo?

You can't - it's a $50 game, so they discounted it by 10%/$5, which means you can't apply the coupon (which makes a $60 pc game into... yep, $45 also)

Long story short, it's $45, unless you can find another deal somewhere else.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What? I distinctly remember there was system link multiplayer when the devs demoed it in some youtube clip.

edit :

Jintor, you're playing right now aren't you? Aren't you?!

It isn't here :(

edit: AND I need a 2nd gold account. FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUuUuuuuUUUck

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well I used a VPN to unlock the game, but unfortunately my wife-based DRM is preventing me from playing due to random attention requirement. Way more unpredictable than aliens.

inky

Man, 2 sergeants dead. Shit is getting rough. Can't get a second uplink operational either, the world is soon going to hate me.

Soi-Fong

You can't - it's a $50 game, so they discounted it by 10%/$5, which means you can't apply the coupon (which makes a $60 pc game into... yep, $45 also)

Long story short, it's $45, unless you can find another deal somewhere else.

If you got the game before today which is launch here for NA, GMG gave you 10 dollar credit.

I used that 10 dollar credit plus the 25% off code to get Dishonored for 35 bucks.

So together XCOM and Dishonored cost me 80 bucks.

chixdiggit

This thread is getting me hyped to play this later tonight. Still not sure if I will Iron man or not. Maybe on a second play through. How long is the campaign?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Is there a reason I can't capture/stun a thin man? I just reloaded like 4 times with a 70% chance to hit and have missed all of them.
the state of the random number generator is persistent, probably to prevent exactly what you are trying to do. You will continue to miss the '70%' attack forever if you keep reloading.

MasLegio

Banned
Anyone else getting a weird sort of texture "pop" effect during the scenes where your base manager is talking to you? The texture for his ugly green jumper seems to randomly move between a blury mess and what its supposed to look like. Not a major thing I suppose

texture popping seems quite normal in this game.

very visible when choosing between hair and helmet on character customization screen.

Hopefully they will be able to patch that (should not have been in release though).

It turns out the game is so massive on PC because they included both 720p and 1080p versions of every movie.

And, as an added bonus, the game only uses the 720p versions. You can apparently rename all the files to make them 1080p according to this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/116lks/quick_note_about_xcom_enemy_unknowns_video_assets/

However, there will be a lot of spoilers from the movie names.

I'd really like to use a batch file to up-res my movies, hopefully someone will release one soon.

that is just sloppy work by lazy devs.

I really hope so...

He later also tweeted:

I'm not sure how much it should change your buying decisions, but big sales of Dishonored and XCOM would send a really positive message

https://twitter.com/benkuchera/status/255733841048764416

Which I think he is also right about. Things that are different from the mainstream games should be embraced. As long as they are good of course, but that doe snot seem to be an issue with these two titles. ;)
do not have time to play both and I refuse to buy a game fullprice just to "send a message to the industry". But that quote is a sure sign on how often the "journalists" are cozy with the developers. "please support my friends"

will buy Dishonored when there is a sale

Keikaku

So, i noticed that you get certain country bonuses when you build satellites. For example, my satellite in china nets me 100 credits and +1 engineers per month. Are those bonuses randomized per play through or always the same per country?
I believe that they are always the same per country

I have a base in North America and just launched a satellite in China. After doing so the guy yelled at me and said it would be useless since I gave no interceptors there. I'm early on in the game so how and when can I do this?
Go to the Hangar and transfer one of your interceptors from North American to China.

Oppo

Well I used a VPN to unlock the game, but unfortunately my wife-based DRM is preventing me from playing due to random attention requirement. Way more unpredictable than aliens.

hunker down

wait for an opening

DO NOT DASH

You know, for all the poo-poo about the lack of random maps, the silver lining has to be the impending doom you feel when you get handed a map you know is hard to work with from previous experience. Past bad experiences = increased emotional response.

Not trying to advocate/defend the lack of random maps-just observation.

Zeliard

Good lord, wrong thread

Yes, it is awesome!

Your previous response was also accurate. :> Pending some sort of later missteps in their games which don't seem particularly likely to crop up, both Firaxis and Arkane have knocked it out of the ballpark.

Started a new game on normal ironman.

Got a recruit from Scotland called Scottie Scott. First mission he gets shot, panicks, kills a grey in his panicked state, then recovers from his panick and kill 2 more. Gets promoted to sniper

K, can't let him die, can't let him die!

Oppo

Yeah, it's pretty great when one of your squad mates panics, freaks out after being poisoned, and then just shoots the alien in the face.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've made an habit of not purchasing games at full price, but for XCOM I'll make an exception.

Steam copy bought.

Have my monies, Firaxis!

Playing this game makes me miss my gamer PC again....

This game screams "keyboard", "mouse", "headphones" and "cigarette".

Neither do I have a PC or headphones any more nor do I smoke (quitted a few years ago). :(

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm having real problems with cover. I had a support behind full cover and a tall man crit her for 7 when he was just 2 tiles off being directly in front of the shield whilst standing a dozen tiles away. I don't midn that the three shots went through a wall (because graphical oversights not withstanding this is an infectious game) but how am I meant to counter scenarios like that?

I had him oversight'd too so I could get another guy around to flank him but it took two turns to get there and super medic girl was dead in 1 :(

Grimsen

There is such a big gap in difficulty between normal and classic... i'm in May 2015 and haven't lost a man yet in normal-ironman. Everyone but 2 rookies were dead during that same month on classic-ironman.

Onemic

Just for comparison how many shots does it take for you to die in normal mode compared to classic? And is there an infirmary like in the original?

Game just finished installing. So hyped

There is such a big gap in difficulty between normal and classic... i'm in May 2015 and haven't lost a man yet in normal-ironman. Everyone but 2 rookies were dead during that same month on classic-ironman.

So I'm guessing you're pretty much a bullet sponge in normal mode?

I haven't played the original game, and i've only played the demo of this so far, would Classic Ironman be a bad choice?
Your soldiers will die often and there's a good chance you'll only last a few months. It'll be really hard for a new player, in my opinion. Try Normal/Ironman first.

dondarm

Banned
I'm having real problems with cover. I had a support behind full cover and a tall man crit her for 7 when he was just 2 tiles off being directly in front of the shield whilst standing a dozen tiles away. I don't midn that the three shots went through a wall (because graphical oversights not withstanding this is an infectious game) but how am I meant to counter scenarios like that?

I had him oversight'd too so I could get another guy around to flank him but it took two turns to get there and super medic girl was dead in 1 :(
Was the shield icon on your support yellow? That would mean he was flanked. otherwise it was just bad luck.

Grimsen

Full cover grants what, +20 defense? It's far from safe. If you don't want to get shot, get out of the alien's LOS and lure him into an overwatch killzone.

Amazing results!
I just tried playing this on my Nexus 7 over Splashtop from my home PC.

Need a bit of tweaking for some controls, but it works pretty damn well already! I'm going to plug a mouse and keyboard in and see how that is, but ultimately I'd like to get it functioning just on the touchscreen, or perhaps on a PS3 controller when I can get a GameKlip for the Nexus.

I fucking love the future, guys.

I have a laptop I can play it on. I am from the distant future! Which looks suspiciously just like the present!

Was enjoying the hell out of this game last night until it started crashing my PC:(

Had it happen a few other times recently (GTX 570HD SC) but a rollback and reinstallation of drivers seems to have fixed it! Only problem was by the time I sorted it out I needed to sleep.

Game is so good! Only had two KIA so far (apart from the tutorial). Vale Rk. Steve Guttenberg & Rk. Dolph Lundgren :(

Just got home with my PC copy. Time to install. My initial team with consist of:

Jinxtor
SalsaShark
Phoenix
Xelios

With Dishonored Xelios leading the charge.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anyone found the .ini settings to reduce/remove the texture pop in yet? It's UE3, there is always a setting for it but it's always called something different.

All the talk of Ironman makes me feel old to be perfectly honest. Now that I work full time I don't have time to play games for 12 hours and then lose and have to start over. I wish I was young again and had all the time in the world for games. Alternatively I wish I had been born rich and never had to work a day in my life. Oh well. I'll stick with normal Classic.

Xater

do not have time to play both and I refuse to buy a game fullprice just to "send a message to the industry". But that quote is a sure sign on how often the "journalists" are cozy with the developers. "please support my friends"

will buy Dishonored when there is a sale

That's not at all what that means but whatever you like to think man.

Anyway, I tried the PS3 demo and it seems to run fine and I think I like the pad controls more with this. Can't wait for thursday!

All the talk of Ironman makes me feel old to be perfectly honest. Now that I work full time I don't have time to play games for 12 hours and then lose and have to start over. I wish I was young again and had all the time in the world for games. Alternatively I wish I had been born rich and never had to work a day in my life. Oh well. I'll stick with normal Classic.

Time is definitely at a premium for me as well.

However...I don't plan on dying...ever.

<---- steely-eyed missile-man

Top Bottom