• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Sentenza

There's not much publishers can do unless
Sure there is: they can negotiate better distribution terms.
Beside, why the issue exists at all is just their problem and it's up to them to fix it.

What really matters is that they are factually causing a discomfort to potential customers.

or you use a VPN client instead.
I don't want to risk to be banned by my Steam account or by any legitimate purchase on any service, for all that matters, just for being slightly impatient.
And i shouldn't need to use a workaround to fix a issue that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Fjordson

Oh man, just played the demo on 360. Did a pretty nice job of teasing just how fun this is. When they take away the restrictions and let you control your squad freely, I successfully flanked two guys with my sniper. So satisfying! And then it ended =[

Definitely picking this up this week.

zchen

cannot complete install due to steam servers too busy????? steam you so cray

also, haven't received the free civ5 from amazon yet.

morale failures are insane on classic. This isn't "It's X-COM Baby!" because I have played about 300-400 hours of that game, 100+ in the last three or so years, and morale failures were never this bad. Even Sargeants+ frequently crap their space marine diapers when someone gets hit hard, much less actually shot or dead.

Overtuned, IMO. I'll get some flame for saying it but morale failures are either being checked too often or they have too wide of a range roll. Everything else about the combat is just fine, but experienced troops should not fetal position if someone gets hurt or even killed.

Rookies? Definitely. Squaddies? Yep, they should. But later rank sargeant+ troops should only morale failure in the face of poor odds+death, not just when someone gets hurt.

FStop7

Banned
Oh man, just played the demo on 360. Did a pretty nice job of teasing just how fun this is. When they take away the restrictions and let you control your squad freely, I successfully flanked two guys with my sniper. So satisfying! And then it ended =[

Definitely picking this up this week.

try that some move on Classic and you'll be playing bagpipes for your sniper :)

Jintor

Speculation is that panic variables are either bugged out or cheating right now because dudes are shooting other dudes in the back more than they're meant to

or not? Maybe people just don't understand probability.

or maybe it's overtuned. I'll bitch about it when I play it proper I guess.

Is
not being able to kill the lady you're rescuing
part of the tutorial restrictions? Because one of my dudes panicked and
shot her, and she didn't take any damage.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
morale failures are insane on classic. This isn't "It's X-COM Baby!" because I have played about 300-400 hours of that game, 100+ in the last three or so years, and morale failures were never this bad. Even Sargeants+ frequently crap their space marine diapers when someone gets hit hard, much less actually shot or dead.

Overtuned, IMO. I'll get some flame for saying it but morale failures are either being checked too often or they have too wide of a range roll. Everything else about the combat is just fine, but experienced troops should not fetal position if someone gets hurt or even killed.

Rookies? Definitely. Squaddies? Yep, they should. But later rank sargeant+ troops should only morale failure in the face of poor odds+death, not just when someone gets hurt.

Some guys just have low will. I had to stop taking one of my high ranking soldiers becaue he took a fatal wound when he was a rookie and would break down even after like 8 missions.

So after that little excursion where the only four guys I had with any experience missed every shot in the mission and were wiped out, I had to rely completely on rookies for the next few missions.

The next three missions, every single shot fired was missed. Literally every single one, and there were at least five attempts at shots per mission. And it's not just me trying to shoot people with a 7% chance of hitting, I don't fire unless I'm 50% or above, opting instead for Overwatch (OW shots don't count in my "at least five" since that's just the nature of OW, but for the record every one of those missed too). So I have no money for further research because I have to hire troops, I have no supplies coming in because I can't win missions, I can't win missions because I can't get troops who aren't rookies. The poor get poorer :(

But all those missed shots were just unlucky, not unfair.

I got my first terror mission and of course had to send a group of four greenhorns. Surprisingly, everything was going well, except for one rookie who got put in critical condition, but couldn't be stabilized because I didn't bring a medikit (I expected this to be a suicide mission lol). I was making sure not to fire unless I definitely had a shot, and I was bringing down enemies without spamming grenades.

Then I encountered my first Chrysalid. What. The. Fuck. It was hidden in a dark corner, and spent its first turn sprinting right up to one of my guys behind cover. I shot it, of course it didn't die, so that's one guy down and turned right there. Next I moved my other two guys into position, one took fire at the other aliens baring down on them. The other guy fired at the Chrysalid and hit it, but it didn't die, so it ran right up to the guy who fired and turned him too. NOOO! This put him right next to the final guy, who fired upon the Chrysalid, hit it, it still didn't fucking die. Guy was turned, mission over.

What?! Does the Chrysalid have literally zero sense of self-preservation?! It doesn't back up when it's taken massive damage and is on its last bar? Obviously the move paid off for the aliens but it just seems like there was nothing I could have done the moment I alerted the Chrysalid, seeing as I hit all three shots and still lost an entire squad to one enemy.

Even when I'm losing I'm having a good time, but I'm really thinking now I need to just start again on Normal, because as it is I don't even feel like I'm just getting my ass kicked, I feel like I don't have the tiniest chance no matter how well I position my troops because they'll miss, miss, miss, panic, and then get one shot vaporized from 300 yards away.
But that's XCOM, baby...

Hopefully after playing Normal a little bit I can figure out some better tactics and a build order for the base. Losing is fun, but like Risk, it's just no fun for your 15 troops to lose invading a country with one defender just because you rolled a one 42 times in a row. Although it is absolutely hilarious if a friend is watching!

Exuro

Can't tell if this is a glitch or what but anyone having trouble where the mission doesn't end even though you're killed everything on the map? I keep getting the Alien activity but I've looked corner to corner on the map to see if anythings left and there's nothing. I stunned the last guy and am wondering if that's the issue.

EDIT: tossed a grenade and it didnt finish. Not sure If I'm just missing something or what.

wtf there was a sectoid ontop of the ship

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And it's not just me trying to shoot people with a 7% chance of hitting, I don't fire unless I'm 50% or above, opting instead for Overwatch (OW shots don't count in my "at least five" since that's just the nature of OW, but for the record every one of those missed too).

OW chance to hit is actually lower than the regular shots unless you have the "opportunist"perk.

Be mindful of your positioning. Don't end a turn where you know the enemy has a easy chance to hit you, if you can help it. Use holotargeting, SCOPEs, and run and gun to increase your hit %.

OW chance to hit is actually lower than the regular shots unless you have the "opportunist"perk.

Be mindful of your positioning. Don't end a turn where you know the enemy has a easy chance to hit you, if you can help it. Use holotargeting, SCOPEs, and run and gun to increase your hit %.

Was using SCOPEs, but I didn't have R&G because my troops kept getting killed because they kept missing, and I didn't have holotargeting because I couldn't research because I wasn't winning missions because my troops kept getting killed because they kept missing. It really was just some extreme unluckiness, I think.

Keikaku

4th time on Classic Ironman and I hit my first Terror Mission in Cairo. I sent in 3 Rooks, 1 Sgt Assault and my Lt. Sniper. 7 turns later, they were all dead.

Chrysalids take 2 grenades and then 2 gun damage before going down and the zombies they spawn take another two hits on top of that. Combine that with 2 Floaters and it was a massacre. I managed to get 1 Floater, 2 out of 3 Chrysalids and I was doing fine avoiding the zombies but the last floater took out my Assault who wasn't even panicking because he was a boss.

Loving the game so far!

Was using SCOPEs, but I didn't have R&G because my troops kept getting killed because they kept missing, and I didn't have holotargeting because I couldn't research because I wasn't winning missions because my troops kept getting killed because they kept missing. It really was just some extreme unluckiness, I think.
It's not a research ability. It's a perk that your Heavy can pick up on the 2nd promotion.

Anyone else getting a weird sort of texture "pop" effect during the scenes where your base manager is talking to you? The texture for his ugly green jumper seems to randomly move between a blury mess and what its supposed to look like. Not a major thing I suppose

Texture pop occurs because Unreal Engine 3 is streaming the textures in which shortens load times. This is commonly seen in any FPS title that uses UE3.

rybrad

Would normal ironman be too much for a beginner? I feel like ironman fits well with your soldiers perma-death, living with the consequences and all that, but I have no idea what to expect difficulty wise.

Jintor

Normal will be fine. It'll get you used to the strategy layer without any pressure, and the tactical layer will be punishing but it won't outright crush you like classic will.

MasLegio

Banned
they need to patch the fucking pathfinding when trying to go to another fucking floor

playing ironman and having to cope with my soldiers going to the bottom floor when I want them on top is not fucking fun. just had three soldiers kille becaues of this

fuck

starting a new game

ironman!

MasLegio

Banned
just watch their blue line and you'll be fine

should be enough that I click on the square I want them to go. Blue line is not visible sometimes due to flickering floor graphics/textures (also another bug)

changing from Classic to normal

waste of time playing classic until game is patched

Ricker

Normal will be fine. It'll get you used to the strategy layer without any pressure, and the tactical layer will be punishing but it won't outright crush you like classic will.

And you can restart the mission if one of your top guys dies or stuff like that or are they lost forever?(is there a restart mission on normal normal? ;) )

Onemic

First rule I learned about this game from the tutorial: Never split your team up, it will only end up with everyone dying very grisly deaths.

anyone else have an abundance of snipers and yet no support class?

I've only ever gotten one support and she died :(

It's balanced out pretty well for me so far. The officer training option to autopromote rookies really helps here.

Also snipers are the "hard carry" of XCOM, they start off absolute garbage but when you feed them enough XP they will carry your team, even if you have to sub in a squaddie later in the game. So stick with them, even through squadsight LOS frustrations and how terrible they are early on.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oh wow... South American release date: 11 Oct 2012
:(

Yasae

Banned
So first bug I find: don't press shift+tab to bring up the overlay when you're promoting soldiers during the tutorial. I couldn't exit the screen and then had to process kill.

Nice opening mission, though.

anyone else have an abundance of snipers and yet no support class?

I've only ever gotten one support and she died :(

What? I thought the sniper class was super special and rare. I've only gotten one: a Mjr. Graciela 'Summer Lady' Pena. Who is sooooooooo badass, lemme tell ya. I should rename her Shepard.

Meanwhile, I've got several support classes. Not complaining; Their smoke grenades have saved me many a time.

Edit:

so I started a new game and suddenly I have an officer training school from the beginning.

Is base setup random when you begin a new game?

I set the base in Europe.

Believe so. I've restarted several times, all in NA, and each time my base was a bit different.

MasLegio

Banned
so I started a new game and suddenly I have an officer training school from the beginning.

Is base setup random when you begin a new game?

I set the base in Europe.

also, I cannot select the situation room, It is greyed out

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
We should post the names of our fallen soldiers once we complete the game. Or just whenever we feel like crying a little, really.

Off work at 8.
Have to hit the bank, get food, gas, and get to the bestbuy by 9 to snag this shit!

Weird that I'm so excited. Previously the only XCOM game I've played is Enforcer (let that sink in). I'm a big strat fan but that tends to be games like Civ and Disgaea/FF Tactis. It's not exactly a fast-paced action game so I'm interested in how it keeps me pumped to play.

I will say the ads I've seen are fucking strange. I'm sure anymore who knows XCOM knows what's up but if they are trying to get new eyes on this then I don't know. It doesn't seem like a CG action alien fight is the right way to show what this game it...maybe it's effective at making people find out more.

I don't work tomorow and I have Walking dead, RCR and this to play tonight!

We should post the names of our fallen soldiers once we complete the game. Or just whenever we feel like crying a little, really.

Basically Oregon Trail style. Christ if there is a river raft crossing in this I don't think I'm ready.

Onemic

RIP Dudley, you were such a gentleman by taking that explosion from the burning car.

My main man Tizoc got a promotion and now I need to decide whether to give him bullet swarn or holo targeting. Any ideas?

Top Bottom