• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

FStop7

Banned
All the talk of Ironman makes me feel old to be perfectly honest. Now that I work full time I don't have time to play games for 12 hours and then lose and have to start over. I wish I was young again and had all the time in the world for games. Alternatively I wish I had been born rich and never had to work a day in my life. Oh well. I'll stick with normal Classic.

Think of it this way. The original UFO/XCOM lasted people nearly 20 years. You also have years to play the new one. It's not going to be obsolete in a year, unlike a CoD or Madden game.

Arde5643

So I'm guessing you're pretty much a bullet sponge in normal mode?

Nope, just 1 more extra health. But that 1 extra health usually is the difference.

Plus, unlike in classic, in normal, enemies will sometimes hang back. In classic, once they see you, they'll try to get the rest of the team near them to join in the fray as well. That and they'll be much more eager to unload all of their special abilities on you.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure that XCOM has the ability to read minds, or at least skim my Steam chat logs. Talking to a friend about restarting and doing much better on classic than I was on normal. Three missions and not a single trooper had taken a hit. On the very next mission I lose my highest promoted soldier to Thin Man reinforcements on overwatch and another trooper to glitched out terrain that sent me over a cliff into the open instead of at the top of a cliff and in cover. >_<

It seems 2K games did a poor job manufacturing the physical discs for the PC version of the game. Does anyone know if I register the game on steam if I can just download the game from them and ignore the discs?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
"When the game is officially released, youll be able to play it immediately"

Time zones suck. >8(

The guy that survives the first mission is a boss! He like second highest rank now!

Smashed a Very Difficult mission that had those mental crystalid or whatever they are called. God bless my Heavy and Sinper for getting me through it haha

Am I dong it right by just scanning for missions? sometimes I have to scan 3-4 times before I hit something. Anyway addictive as hell!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone found the .ini settings to reduce/remove the texture pop in yet? It's UE3, there is always a setting for it but it's always called something different.

It's annoying. Texture pop-in I can understand, but they pop back out again - eg the green sweater the guy in the base is wearing. Every now and then it looks nice and hi-res, but then switches back to blurry.all settings on high too

Sanctuary

So has anyone figured out how to disable the MORE INFO box that pops up 100% of the time, every time you use a skill, no matter how many times you've used it? I also like how now the game is randomly displaying 360 input prompts while using the mouse/keyboard. It wasn't doing this until today.

Ebris

I must be losing my mind - how do you build more satellites again? I have 1/2 slots available but I can't seem to find the place where to build them.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Any sites have deals for PC on this game? I have never played XCOM at all but i LOOOVE turnbased games! This sounds really cool!

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I hope you're not playing ironman.

I'm going to do the LP on manual ironman because of this and the severe risk of total mission failure :/

Not everyone has baller internet, dude

I am. And I have a feeling I'm about to want to stop playing XCOM for a little bit.

Edit: Auto saved on the last turn. Phew.

Has anyone else ever got stuck on the terrain? My brother did it in the first demo mission and couldn't do a thing to carry on.

Also, why don't they just let people play that second mission to their heart's content?

Sentenza

Now imagine if you didn't live in America but in Europe and had to wait until Friday.
I wonder when publishers will realize that forcing delayed releases in different countries, even for digital downloadable versions, is one of the strongest incentives to piracy.

There are few things that can redirect a potential legitimate customer to a torrent site like "What? That game everyone is playing, that game you want to play really *badly*, right NOW? Well, you know, we are releasing it in your country in a few days".

Is it impatience? Is it "entitlement"? Sure, but people don't care.
And just to be clear I'm not justifying piracy in any way, just pointing why it's a very stupid and unwise thing to do.

patapuf

I wonder when publishers will realize that forcing delayed releases in different countries, even for digital downloadable versions, is one of the strongest incentives to piracy.

There are few things that can redirect a potential legitimate customer to a torrent site like "What? That game everyone is playing, that game you want to play really *badly*, right NOW? Well, you know, we are releasing it in your country in a few days".

And just to be clear I'm not justifying piracy in any way, just pointing why it's a very stupid and unwise thing to do.

There's not much publishers can do unlees retailers change the usual release day from Thursday to Tuesday. As much as DD has grown, retail is still the bigger part of the pie.

I'm european too btw, so i feel the pain.

Protein

Banned
Jesus Christ... playing Classic-Ironman on my 2nd attempt and I was doing amazeballs at the game. Aliens were getting skullfucked left and right. Dodging plasma like a Greek god. I came across a bug that broke my game. Alien-turn came and they never made a move. It just stayed stuck on their turn. What the fuck man?

guile_hair.jpg

GUILE HAIR FOR EVERYONE, EVEN THE WOMEN!

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Jesus Christ... playing Classic-Ironman on my 2nd attempt and I was doing amazeballs at the game. Aliens were getting skullfucked left and right. Dodging plasma like a Greek god. I came across a bug that broke my game. Alien-turn came and they never made a move. It just stayed stuck on their turn. What the fuck man?

I had the same thing happen like 10 minutes ago. Shut the game down and continue your save. It should load you on the turn before the bug.

Ceebs

Goddamn that was a bloodbath.

Had a single floater left so I sent in my heavy to stun it. Oh wait there were 4 Mutons hiding in this corner. Cue dead heavy.

They also managed to take out one of my snipers before I could even get dudes in place to fight them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Gonna play some Civ V until the game is 'officially released' :3

Protein

Banned
Things had been going smooth up until I inherited the worst sniper on the planet. Kept missing EVERYTHING. I checked his character model to make sure he wasn't cross-eyed or something. I took the liberty of naming him 'Fumbles' out of shame. Next mission he pulls a 180 and proceeds to smang and dominate hot-ass, one-shotting every alien's face off, up until a Muton causes him to panic and friendly-fire annihilate half my squad. And then I turned off the game.

MasLegio

Banned
soo, with the tutorial I had one extra satelite and other stuff,

beginning without it I do not

Is the game starting earlier in non-tutorial mode so that I will achieve getting a satelite at the same ingame time?

Or do we get "bonuses" for playing the tutorial?

Oppo

So has anyone figured out how to disable the MORE INFO box that pops up 100% of the time, every time you use a skill, no matter how many times you've used it? I also like how now the game is randomly displaying 360 input prompts while using the mouse/keyboard. It wasn't doing this until today.

I haven't figured out how to turn it off, but I just double-tap the desired number key, and it only flicks up for an instant.

Hambone

So gooooood. This game is so cool.

Poor Roookie Chun Li...she never counted on the Commander to hit the wrong button. Was doing the extract mission with 3 out of 4 squad members left. In firefight with a Thin Man. It's Sq. Buddy Mango's time to shine and end this thing...he was equipped with a shotgun, so I wanted to switch to the handgun. Accidentally pressed "Y" instead of "X" and went into Overwatch ending my turn. Thin Man Turned Chun Li's dome into head porridge.

RIP, I hardly new ye. Plus I learned not to spend so much time customizing rookies.

MasLegio

Banned

or you use a VPN client instead.

playing xcom right now, 3 days before release

but yes, any kind of region locking regardless of platform is incredibly stupid and the main reason that pirated TV-shows is all the rage in scandinavia

Top Bottom