• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Lost a Lt. but damn was it glorious. His entire squad got taken out and I had this mofo holding off waves of Sectoids and Thin Men. Took down like 5 before he went down. I could just picture some emotional and brutal scene in a R-Rated scifi-war film. The brave Lt. loses pieces cover with every enemy shot. Black Hawk Down-esque, depressing music plays in the background as he has flashbacks of his family back in Nigeria. Suddenly he starts taking enemy plasma hits from all directions as his flesh and muscle tissue literally melt off all over his body. He lets out war-cries of agony as manly tears run down and then he's reduced to a bloody pulp seconds later. YOU WILL BE AVENGED.
Thats Xcom baby...

Ugh, so I wimped out of Ironman Classic and went for a game of Ironman Normal. I'm just breezing through it taking minor injuries. I'm sure it's just because it's early in the game, though.
Keep us updated. I was all for Classic Ironman before, but if Normal ramps up decently then I might wuss out and go for that instead.

Love this a lot. Played like 3 or 4 missions so far.

AND I bought Dishonored today as well. Now I have two dope games at once.

My PC's gonna get a workout this week...

Desaan

Classic goes to shit once you lose your ranked up soldiers from the first 7-8 missions you do. Rookies/Squaddies cannot deal with the bullshit of 90% crit rate thin men and suprise butt sex floaters.

Did anyone that preordered from amazon get their civilization 5 key? I never got mine, maybe because I bought a copy from them before? I was planning on giving the extra copy to a friend of mine.

Classic goes to shit once you lose your ranked up soldiers from the 7-8 missions you do. Rookies/Squad cannot deal with the bullshit of 90% crit rate thin men and suprise butt sex floaters.

I rushed as fast I could to get an Officer Training School so I could have 5 squad members. So now I'm running 4 vets and a rookie each mission to get rooks trained up. The rook takes cover between the vets and stays in Overwatch, so he/she gets kills from aliens triggered by the vets. They actually score decent kills this way now that I have the Laser Rifle.

zchen

Did anyone that preordered from amazon get their civilization 5 key? I never got mine, maybe because I bought a copy from them before? I was planning on giving the extra copy to a friend of mine.

Don't own civ5 on amazon, haven't received key.

any one else have problem with wired xb360 controller on the pc version? Whenever I click to change from mouse to xb360 controller I get message "Please reconnect controller or press ESC to continue using mouse" and massive slow down in game.

again.....any one else having this issue?

inky

OK, this game is fucking hard =(

Second go! =D

Edit: Amazon won't send you a key, it will give you credit towards purchasing Civ 5 so your transaction will be free.

DigitalOp

Banned
This game sounds friggin awesome...

Would someone like me who has little experience in the Strategy genre be able to have fun?? One thing that sucks big time is wanting to like a game but can't enjoy it because Im getting my ass handed back to me. lol

Fairwell Scottie Scott, you were the greatest sniper Scotland ever knew :( (still find it hilarious that thats his name.)

Game is kicking my ass, btw anyone know if storyline research items unlock harder maps/enemies or is strictly a time thing?

Cause if it's research, I'm going to slow the fuck down on my next run. I keep getting destroyed when the Mutons and Chrysalids start to shpw up.

Chrysalids are as annoying as they were in the original, fuck those guys.

Would someone like me who has little experience in the Strategy genre be able to have fun?? One thing that sucks big time is wanting to like a game but can't enjoy it because Im getting my ass handed back to me. lol

It's x-com part of its charm is getting your ass handed back to you.

Clevinger

Yes, especially if it sounds good to you like you say. I generally don't play strategy games, but XCOM (and the originals) is one of the exceptions. Play on easy and you should be OK. But maybe try normal first, because this is the type of game where it's memorable and even fun to lose horribly.

Ceebs

Play on normal, and take your time and go slow like your life depends on it. There is nothing overly complicated about the missions themselves so it is all self explanatory.

I might try Classic again as I'm finding normal to be maybe too easy. Although I have'nt lost a soldier yet in around 5 missions, I nearly have several times. I was doing okay on classic, until I had to rescue Anna Sing! Then it all turned to shit.

Exuro

Just got my sniper to colonel. Which skill is better? I don't quite understand what Double Tap is. You get to use two of the skills in a turn?

I might try Classic again as I'm finding normal to be maybe too easy. Although I have'nt lost a soldier yet in around 5 missions, I nearly have several times. I was doing okay on classic, until I had to rescue Anna Sing! Then it all turned to shit.

It's time you learned to love public transportation.

Park a guy inside that bus and he can cover that whole side of the map from inside of it.

It's time you learned to love public transportation.

Park a guy inside that bus and he can cover that whole side of the map from inside of it.
Yeah. Well, I only had 4 soldiers and I lost one in the first alien move when a Thin Man did a critical with his first shot. Kinda' fell apart after that!

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ironman Classic.

I just ran like a bitch back to the extraction zone and aborted a mission.

Whole squad was wiped to the last man, sole survivor was my highest ranking member and sniper killing machine. If I lost her all i had left was rookies, she was too valuable.

RUN AWAYYY!! RUN AWAYYY!! My memorial wall is starting read like the white pages.

inky

Haven't received a credit either when I try to buy civ 5. I guess there will be a notification email?

Yes, they'll send you an email letting you know your credit is ready to use. You have until November the 8th to purchase it.

Wait, so Normal is appropriate for the early game, and then gets too easy later? Maybe I've just had good luck, but I've only lost one unit (outside of the tutorial losses), and I just finished my first terror mission. Maybe I should've started on Classic. I was going to restart after the tutorial like a lot of people said, but then I just kept playing.

Ironman Classic.

I just ran like a bitch back to the extraction zone and aborted a mission.

Whole squad was wiped to the last man, sole survivor was my highest ranking member and sniper killing machine. If I lost her all i had left was rookies, she was too valuable.

RUN AWAYYY!! RUN AWAYYY!! My memorial wall is starting read like the white pages.
A Holy Hand Grenade would've come in handy!

Classic Iron Man was initially thought to have been a HORRIBLE MISTAKE.

After the death of SQ Rick Moranis, Canada's finest, I felt a sinking hole in my heart. But he got that civilian out of the line of fire and died doing his weird country proud.

Barely surviving a crash site with one panicked rookie is a serious highlight of my time so far and I would have NEVER experienced it if I'd had the ability to reload. I am a compulsive reloader, this is the cure. It became apparent, after this, that it's the only way to play.

epmode

I feel like the panic feature may be a little too sensitive on Classic. I had a guy panic after another soldier took 2 hit points of damage. This was the first contact with the enemy for that mission and the wounded soldier still had ~5 HP remaining.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I feel like the panic feature may be a little too sensitive on Classic. I had a guy panic after another soldier took 2 hit points of damage. This was the first contact with the enemy for that mission and the wounded soldier still had ~5 HP remaining.

Your guys grown some stones once they rank up some. The rooks pee their pants at the first sign of trouble.

Also this game is fucking *awesome*. Looks like it'll usurp Legend of Grimrock for GOTY.

Protein

Banned
Base-building. What should I be going for other than rushing for Soldier Academy? I went no-tutorial and African Base for dat income but..

24950878sussc.jpg

epmode

After playing through the tutorial in the full game, WTF @ the awful demo. It really should have continued for another mission or two. At least.

calder

Oh god I'm so screwed. Attacked an enemy base (it's early, it can't be THE base or anything) and I'm not ready, I'm just so not ready, but I've been messing up the strategy pretty badly (Japan already bailed, 3 other nations not far behind, money always tight) and there's a day left before my next sure-to-be-poor performance appraisal so I decided to roll the dice with my A team.

My best support and a fairly disposable squaddie got fucking eaten by chrysalids almost instantly. Formed up the 4 survivors and killed over 20 enemies in the next few areas, slow going but 2 snipers plus a heavy and a support are doing alright. But now I'm in a large, open area and I can't bait out the aliens anymore and I sure as shit am not going to survive pushing through. My 30+ kill major can't die, he can't. :(

So I exited mid-mission. If the party wipes I'm probably going to just restart, I can do the early macro stuff soooooooo much better now. And I won't leave a captain out to die during an aborted mission just because I can't figure out how to revive.

Doing ironman, never understood multiple saves in this type of game. Doing normal as this is my first X-Com. So far, my squad is full of heavies and all I do is nuke shit until they are all dead.

Bigfoot

Finally got a chance to play tonight. Seems great so far and bringing back some memories of my many play troughs of X-Com UFO Defense. I actually launched X-com in Steam first by accident and almost started a new game in that but I decided it was best to play the new game I just bought so I quit and choose the correct XCOM game. :)

I ended up starting a non-Ironman Classic game just to get through the tutorial and get used to the controls and interface. I plan on getting the hang of things before restarting with an Ironman Classic game and no tutorial.

Protein

Banned
From what I'm reading, DO NOT have tutorial on for your main playthrough. Just whore it as much as you can then start a fresh new game once you learn the mechanics. It severely gimps you from the get-go

Doing ironman, never understood multiple saves in this type of game. Doing normal as this is my first X-Com. So far, my squad is full of heavies and all I do is nuke shit until they are all dead.

Your scientists are going to start yelling at you. Blowing stuff up means there's less of it to research.

From what I'm reading, DO NOT have tutorial on for your main playthrough. Just whore it as much as you can then start a fresh new game once you learn the mechanics. It severely gimps you from the get-go

Yeah, the way people progress is much less organic if you use the tutorial.

Almighty

Messing around with Dishonored right now, needed a little stress break from XCOM, but god am I in love with this game. I think I will be restarting the game and going classic. I am pretty sure I got enough of the basics down to make a good go of it. Though I fully expect to lose badly quite often. Wouldn't be XCOM with out having a few campaigns go to shit fast.

Onemic

whys that?

Im already pretty much fucked in Classic ironman from failing the very first mission after tutorial as all my vets are dead(half died in the tutorial missions) and my one sniper I had is gravely wounded and isn't expected to come back in 19 more days. Not to mention I'm dead broke and so I have no money to hire new recruits(down to 4) and can't make a school so I can at least use 5 squad members. Also Panic levels are near critical in 4 countries and critical in two. Think I'll restart the game now haha.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Oh really? In what way? I haven't tried a game without the tutorial. If anything, I would have guessed that it started you with more stuff than normal.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm getting absolutely annihilated. My dudes cant hit shit, no one can stay alive long enough to get promoted! Lost Egypt and most of Europe. Not restarting yet, Im going down with the ship but I dont expect to survive the next month.

All my guys went to stormtrooper shooting academy, the aliens are fuckin enemy at the gates jude law and ed harris over here.

Exuro

Welp I'm stuck on a mission. I move my units forward to reveal a cyberdisk/drone group and the screen turns into a solid color and locks up. Can't alt tab out of it. Done it twice so far. :(

The mission is
Operation Blind Line

EDIT: I seem to have fixed it by move my guys to another route and had the enemy group introduce themselves inside a building.

Top Bottom