• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

TTG

I have other problems, I'm always broke or out of energy. Built the steam generator, left me with 2 credits(after selling a bunching of alien corpses). I'm too scared to sell anything else!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
First mission. Classic Ironman. I got fucked over so bad by a bunch of twerpy sectoids the XCOM initiative was canned right away. All my team was wiped out clean and I had to restart the game.

God.

Damn.

My second try has been considerably better. I already have three promoted veterans (two of them badly wounded, tho) and I'm trying to help Brazil with some creepy abductions. Lets see how it goes.

Clevinger

So, I stupidly wasted my satellite from the tutorial on a part of the world I can't reach. Sitting here, watching a UFO buzz around China and I can't do anything about it.

go to your hanger, and you can transfer one of your planes to Asia

My 5th run of normal ironman. Finally got to the point where I could do the alien base.

It was going pretty well until the end... oh dear.

I can't believe what i've done. Overwatch is usually on 3 for most soldiers so when It was just my 5 guys and the Outsider who I was going to capture I was just mashing the 3 key to overwatch the units I didn't need. My support unit had grenade on 3....

Mesoian

OKAY SERIOUSLY, what governs reaction shots? I just had a mission where literally EVERY SINGLE ONE MISSED. This is horse shit! I don't feel like I'm losing because of bad strategy, I feel like I'm losing because the game has weighted dice!

Hawk269

Anyone get the game guide and can offer any input if it needed or benifts of haviing it. Most strategy game guides are pretty good. Thanks!

Fjordson

Possibly dumb question, but when you lose all your dudes in the tutorial and you get a fresh batch of rookies, is there any way to switch their gender?

Wanny

OKAY SERIOUSLY, what governs reaction shots? I just had a mission where literally EVERY SINGLE ONE MISSED. This is horse shit! I don't feel like I'm losing because of bad strategy, I feel like I'm losing because the game has weighted dice!

I also get the impression that odds are screwed. My 50% sniper hit more than my 85-90% one lol

Probabilities, how do they work?

Fjordson said:
Possibly dumb question, but when you lose all your dudes in the tutorial and you get a fresh batch of rookies, is there any way to switch their gender?

Isn't gender part of the Customize menu?

I had my first death that really hurt since the first. He made a great sacrifice as it reduced panic everywhere, gave me a shitload of money and some breathing room.
bRIzOl.jpg

RIP Mustang, you will be missed.
Was totally his fault, he missed 4 up close shots in a row while getting bumrushed by crystallids.
Hey, what class is Xeno?

I've only gotten two Assault class soldiers, and the first I used throughout my initial (and short-lived) Ironman play-through without knowing what made the class unique besides the shotgun. It wasn't until my current game that I paid more attention to the "run and gun" ability, and boy does it rock. My second Assault, Maj. Nathan 'Wolf Guy' Moore, has subsequently become one of my favorite dudes. Snipers are badass, yes, but nothing quite beats the thrill of dashing right up to a Muton and blowing it away.

Ugh, this game. So good.

Hawk269

How is the Xbox Live Community for this game? Are there a lot of people on the leaderboards? This sounds like a great MP game than the normal grind of fps's.

Mesoian

Probabilities, how do they work?

I don't know, and if the past hour has been any indication, neither does FIRAXIS.

POINT BLACK Shotgun to the face, Miss. Get fucked. I've set this hallway up like a meat grinder, anything going down it should be kibble and yet everything gets through because EVERY REACTION SHOT MISSES!

Fairly sure there are a bunch of random missions that are built for you not to be able to win, and that's horse shit.

Start the game on normal and play through the tutorial. No problem.

Restart the game on Classic.

First Mission at the gas station in Mexico.
See a pair of sectoid in front of the building. My team moves in to engage and spots three more in the building. Have my team take cover and one lobs a grenade taking out the two exposed aliens.
Alien's turn. Shoot the gas pump and it explodes taking out the rookie who killed two aliens with a grenade. Another rookie panics and kills a second rookie. A car caught fire without my notice from the gas explosion and kills a third rookie, leaving only the panicked rookie who killed a team mate behind. The last man manages to kill two more aliens before being killed by the last alien.

Time to start over.

You can't customise country or gender

Huh, my bad.

Mesoian said:
I don't know, and if the past hour has been any indication, neither does FIRAXIS.

POINT BLACK Shotgun to the face, Miss. Get fucked. I've set this hallway up like a meat grinder, anything going down it should be kibble and yet everything gets through because EVERY REACTION SHOT MISSES!

Fairly sure there are a bunch of random missions that are built for you not to be able to win, and that's horse shit.

Firaxis understands how probability works.

jwhit28

Thats how war works. Retreat is always an option.

TTG

go to your hanger, and you can transfer one of your planes to Asia

Wow, I had no idea I could do that. Maybe instead of forcing me to buy an alien interrogation thing, they could have explained that. I was just stupidly waiting for the ability to build another base to open up. Thanks.

Jintor

You do suffer a minor penalty to overwatch shots so take that into account. (Unless you have a sniper with opportunist)

It's pretty dumb if point blank shots can miss, especially with a shotgun. Getting up in an alien's face isn't exactly a low risk maneuver.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Start the game on normal and play through the tutorial. No problem.

Restart the game on Classic.

First Mission at the gas station in Mexico.
See a pair of sectoid in front of the building. My team moves in to engage and spots three more in the building. Have my team take cover and one lobs a grenade taking out the two exposed aliens.
Alien's turn. Shoot the gas pump and it explodes taking out the rookie who killed two aliens with a grenade. Another rookie panics and kills a second rookie. A car caught fire without my notice from the gas explosion and kills a third rookie, leaving only the panicked rookie who killed a team mate behind. The last man manages to kill two more aliens before being killed by the last alien.

Time to start over.

X-COM ladies and gentlemen.

Noaloha

Whats the "Unit Analysis View" research sometimes mentions?

I think it's the 'More Info' option from your targeting screen on the field. Normally it gives you details on what's affecting your own %s for that specific shot. If you've performed an autopsy on that alien type then you'll also see general information on that enemy, what sort of class bonuses the alien unit makes use of.

TTG

Just managed to sneak a 5th squad member in for the first terror mission. Still no plasma or beam weapons, this is gonna be rough. At least I have my A team.

matt05891

Don't go into cover when you run up to an alien with a shotgun. I noticed when you do it's like 87%~ accuracy but out of cover on top of the alien I always get 100%.

Jubbly

Oh wow, just met my first
Sectopod
. Was the final enemy in the level and its ridiculous reaction shot nonsense,
beam of 11-damage death, and missiles
were seriously hurting my force, all of which were down to low health.

Managed to get my Canadian Heavy from the tutorial into a good position, selected the rocket, it said it'd do 6 damage, but the max level dude of awesomeness got a 12-pointer and killed the fucker!

fist-pump-baby-476x250.jpg

epmode

Wow, I had no idea I could do that. Maybe instead of forcing me to buy an alien interrogation thing, they could have explained that.
It's explained as soon as you purchase the satellite, although I think it's only a text message.

hypernima

Banned
I know nothing about this game (besides reading the OP) but one of the artists who worked on it is coming to my school to talk.

Is there anything I should ask in particular?

Desaan

For my next attempt on classic I think I'll rush for laser rifles ASAP, the problem with the officer school is you need a really high ranking soldier to be able to unlock the good stuff, obviously the extra squad slot helps as an early unlock but early on I think I'd rather have a full squad of laser rifles than a full squad of wet noodle.

Snipers are also infuriating to level up when all they do is miss, it's too bad you can't take their primary away whilst you at least get to the 3rd rank. That's mostly the reason I run with only assault/support for every mission and depending on the scenario throw a heavy in there for the rocket launcher annihilation, I got real tired of baby sitting the snipers for kills.

Just managed to sneak a 5th squad member in for the first terror mission. Still no plasma or beam weapons, this is gonna be rough. At least I have my A team.

Keep them together. Bring grenades and your support having a medpack. Chrysalids and their zombie spawn are all about having enough DPS to burn them down.

Top Bottom