• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Derrick01

Banned
If you completely cover a region in sats, you get the bonus you would have received for having a base. All In is the bonus for Africa and it gives you +30% funding at the end of every month.

Ah that's cool too I guess. Would have preferred to not have to worry about juggling a region's panic level but I could always use more cash too.

DrBo42

Once you do enough of those missions you will start to learn where enemies are likely to spawn and can set up overlookers to kill them right as they appear.

I feel like I shouldn't have to learn enemy spawns just to survive a mission. I executed everything up to that point flawlessly only to be taken out by some shitty trigger. Seems pretty lame.

That's fucking bullshit. I got charged by a berserker, my guy panicked and ran away, then a cutscene played of him getting pounded to death but he was 10-15 feet away from the thing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Is it well documented this game is buggy? We have had 4 separate systems run it bug free and we have played a LOT.

Jintor

a normal bug on a normal mode is fine, but bugs in ironman can be savefile-destroying crippling

right now, they are occuring enough that i am wary of them (watching threads on two large forums and 2k's bug report board). this is day 2 of north american release though.

Clevinger

Is it well documented this game is buggy? We have had 4 separate systems run it bug free and we have played a LOT.

It's my first day playing and it's locked up once, and there was this weird bug where my Chinese soldier suddenly looked exactly like my Mexican soldier (including his awesome mustache).

I've had a CTD, some clipping issues, and few instances where the sound stopped working after taking screenshots, but nothing game threatening.

Mesoian

Got a weird 360 bug. It locked out 90% of my controls. Only thing I could do was rotate the map.

That's annoying. But at least it looks like it saved this time...I hope.

This game is surprisingly buggy though. Between the random mob drops and the AI freaking out about enemies on the other sides of walls, it can be pretty tough to progress in any sort of logical manner. But I bet there will be a patch soon.

Jintor

People are also reporting the enemy patrols are teleporting right into already cleared rooms, so that kind of sucks

especially muton patrols

goddamn that would suck

Keikaku

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

I just finished a Terror Mission in India on Classic (I thought I had selected Ironman but I hadn't, so I'm saving appropriately and playing it Ironman-style) which ended like this:
QNOFY.jpg

See where it says "23 Aliens Killed"? Here's the breakdown:
  • 14 Chrysalids
  • 9 Zombies

14-fucking-Chrysalids. I'm glad that they didn't turn the rest of those meat puppet civilians into Zombies because I got about half a movement radius outside of the Skyranger before it turned into Starship Troopers.The map was fairly small from what I saw of it-one 3 story building which looked like a bookstore/restaurant combo but I'll be damned if Chrysalids weren't erupting out of every window and door whenever I thought it was safe to move forward. They came in groups of 2 or 3 (though there was one where I got rushed by 2 groups of 2 from either side) and only judicious use of grenades and extremely careful use of rockets kept me alive. After I'd taken down the 7th Chrysalid and maybe the 4th and 5th Zombie, I spent a turn reloading. Naturally, since everyone had to reload, everyone but my secondary Sniper, Sgt. Polina 'Checkmate' Zaytseva was dry . That's when it happened.

Like some sort of godawful ninja, a Chrysalid chose that precise moment to drop right in front of my sniper and nominal leader of my team, Maj. Roberto 'Shadow' Fernandez. Sgt. Zaytseva put a bullet right through it's head that took the beast down to near death but it wasn't enough. Maybe if I'd had the time and money to equip the good Sergeant with a Laser Sniper Rifle like her superior officer was using, the shot would have been enough. As it was, before it died it eviscerated the Major and screeched out a call that summoned 3 more Chrysalids. By the time that Maj. William 'Saturn' Davies had finished the beast off, the rest of my squad had only had just enough time to reload and take on the fresh horrors.

Another close call happened later when the troops went up the stairs and came face to face with the last 2 Chrysalids but a bit of luck saw the team through that with no further injuries or fatalities.

On the way back, we saw this:
aRe7K.jpg

Yes, we saved no lives but we killed 14 Chrysalids and carried their corpses back with us for valuable research. I gained 2 Colonels and a 5 other promotions but lost my best sniper. Now India is going to burn and the only advanced tech you have is the 3 Arc Throwers you asked me for at the beginning of the month. Enjoy anarchy and dominion by the filthy xenos, you dicks.

Dm5wY.jpg

You will be avenged, Major.

DrBo42

Let me share what happened to me last night and the reason I've sworn off ironman for the immediate future. This was a classic ironman run of course. Finally got a good squad together, everyone has their role set, decide to respond to a council mission since panic is high in a few countries. Mission gets rolling and everything is going pretty well but somehow one of the low tier aliens domes my sniper that's in a key position (and full cover) to cover the rest of the squad. Luckily he's only downed but not killed but the game didn't stop there. The ragdoll from the shot has sent my fucking sniper OFF THE MAP. This virtual bastard I've spent hours on has been ejected from the world with no chance of revival. Entire squad ends up dying from panic and other bullshit, come back and 2 countries remove themselves from the council. That's the moment I shed a single tear and swore never again. Never again, ironman.

TTG

Quick question: Does researching "precision lasers" mean I'll get a better sniper rifle? It's time for a better sniper rifle.

Mesoian

Quick question: Does researching "precision lasers" mean I'll get a better sniper rifle? It's time for a better sniper rifle.

Yes.

Somehow, I just fought off an attack squadron of 2 berserkers, 12 brutes, and 2 cyberdiscs with 3 rooks (who all died), my col. support, a lt. Heavy and sq. assault. The plan I came up with was smart, and worked and was not thrown assunder by BS math this time.

Can anyone tell me how I build more interceptors? I still only have two and I need more.

Just did my first mission with the zombie maker aliens. Haven't lost anyone yet but everyone was hurt in the last mission. If I get another mission in the nest 7 days it's going to be nearly all rookies.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

I just finished a Terror Mission in India on Classic (I thought I had selected Ironman but I hadn't, so I'm saving appropriately and playing it Ironman-style) which ended like this:
QNOFY.jpg

See where it says "23 Aliens Killed"? Here's the breakdown:
  • 14 Chrysalids
  • 9 Zombies

I had a mission just like that except it was the police station map. First turn, didn't see anything. Second turn I managed to trigger 2 different squads of chrysalids. I managed to get out with 7 chrsyalid and 4 zombie kills along with 3 floaters, but there was definitely a moment of panic there on the second turn when I had 4 chrysalids all within range of my guys. I got lucky with a well placed rocket and a laser sniper critical which allowed me to take them all out. Got a bit of a scare later in the mission as well when another chrysalid came charging towards one of my guys, but stopped 1 square away on the diagonal, just around the corner of a pillar. I don't know whether they can't melee around corners, or if that was his second move, but I can't say I really cared at the time!

Wait, Operation: Brutal Knife? The name generator was trying to warn you. >_>

Can anyone tell me how I build more interceptors? I still only have two and I need more.

Just did my first mission with the zombie maker aliens. Haven't lost anyone yet but everyone was hurt in the last mission. If I get another mission in the nest 7 days it's going to be nearly all rookies.

Go to the hanger. There should be an option there to buy more interceptors.

I COMPLETELY botched the
First Council VIP recovery in Australia.
I captured a Thin Man right away, things were looking up!

Then my damn Heavy fires in the wrong damn direction on a 90% chance with a rocket and HITS THE VIP. Immediate failure, captured alien doesn't count. Goddamnit, Iron Man Mode! Goddamn you, Hanz Delgado the Heavy!

TTG

Is anyone running with the PS3 version? How is it? There was a lot of screen-tearing in the demo.

It's pretty damn good. Other than the initial texture loading that's in almost all unreal games, it's fine.

Edit: I've only gotten framerate drops during the skyranger cutscenes, of all things.

Best not to think too hard about it. It's from the same science division that straps dead Sectoids to missiles to make them more accurate. And it works.

Dr. Vahlen is clearly from the MAD side of science.
wut

edit: yesss my order shipped early. It's likely to be here Friday instead of sometime next week.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Best not to think too hard about it. It's from the same science division that straps dead Sectoids to missiles to make them more accurate. And it works.

Dr. Vahlen is clearly from the MAD side of science.
I have to say, I'm kind of taking a liking to this science division.

McNum

I believe you can use three Sectoid corpses to boost the accuracy of your Interceptor for a limited time. It doesn't really make much sense either, even if they try to handwave it with some excuse about neural implants.

So I go with the most literal explanation because it's the most silly one.

Beaulieu

only bad bug ive encountered so far

- I used the grappeling hook to get on the cabin of a truck, then went down immediately and my sniper got stuck in the truck for all that game. She didnt die tho'

people whinning about the "bs math" are killing me... saying that's "bs math" is admitting you know nothing about simple math ! come on now.

Booted up . . . I'll just watch the intro cut-scenes.

I'll just play the tutorial mission.

Upgrades, research.

OK, just one more mission.

upgrades, research, satellite.

just one more mission. . . . aargh, I can't stop.

I believe you can use three Sectoid corpses to boost the accuracy of your Interceptor for a limited time. It doesn't really make much sense either, even if they try to handwave it with some excuse about neural implants.

So I go with the most literal explanation because it's the most silly one.
Works for me.

matt05891

I swear this RNG is destroying me. Everyone of my 5 squad mates had a 15% chance to hit a target of which it was 3 mutons and 2 thin men who moved around a lot and I couldn't target. I took the shots because I had nowhere to move anyway and everyone missed. First round my shiv and a squad mate died under a hail of plasma fire wearing carapace armor mind you so it's not insta-kills. Second round two squad mates get critically injured, one on the ground and one had 1 bar left. Used a med pack to heal the one who had one hit left. Third alien turn everyone was dead. I don't think the aliens missed once and the whole time I never had a shot above 15%. That was like my 5th to 6th wipe today where as yesterday I wiped maybe once or twice. It's not lack of tactics it's just getting frustrating.

The problem with shotguns is they are useless in Classic Ironman and above. Sure, if you are playing non-Ironman just run up, save, reload if missed. If you are playing Ironman, at least on Classic, you want to be behind full cover with Overwatch every turn and as far away from aliens as possible.

Basically X-Com equivalent of "spotters+snipers" from earlier games.

Spl1nter

sectopods are no joke. 3 Attacks a turn and then infinite overwatch. I tremble to think of their might in classic or impossible.

hitmon

OMG I love this game. Dishonored has taken a backseat and I was really looking forward to it. Couple of questions though.

1. Is it possible to select the soldiers you take into battle? I'd like to take some rookies to increase their experience.

2. I think I saw a video of them zooming in on different parts of the base. How can I zoom in with a keyboard and mouse? I'm talking about the soldiers running on the treadmill or the rec area.

TTG

satellites

This! I didn't pay attention at all about satellites/hangar stuff through the tutorial and focused on research/buying up small upgrades. Now it's a race against time to see if I can get a satellite in North America before they bail. In general, resources are scarce on classic. I feel like if things don't take a turn for the better, I'll have to start selling off more than corpses and damaged shit.

OMG I love this game. Dishonored has taken a backseat and I was really looking forward to it. Couple of questions though.

1. Is it possible to select the soldiers you take into battle? I'd like to take some rookies to increase their experience.

When picking Loadouts select Clear Unit on a unit you want to swap and pick another soldier.

Unity2012

This is my first XCOM game. I did not even know about the first one... or this one, until this past weekend. I know--and I call myself a gamer!

I was skeptical about the turn-base aspects of the game but I really, really like it.

This is "Strategy" at its best! My brain hurts after a few hours playing, LOL. I am officially addicted. Great Game!

Thank you Firaxis Games and 2K Games.

Top Bottom