• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Protein

Banned
Jesus H. Christ. One. Fucking. Outsider. Wiped out my entire squad. Here I am obliterating the hell out of the aliens. I have the PERFECT tactical advantage. Let me just go ahead and emphasize on the word "perfect" here.

per·fect   [adj., n. pur-fikt; v. per-fekt] Show IPA
adjective
conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type: a perfect sphere; a perfect gentleman.
excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement: There is no perfect legal code. The proportions of this temple are almost perfect.
exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose: a perfect actor to play Mr. Micawber; a perfect saw for cutting out keyholes.
entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings: a perfect apple; the perfect crime.
accurate, exact, or correct in every detail: a perfect copy.

PERFECT cover. Superior tactical advantage. Perfect everything. There was literally no chance in hell for anything other than the aliens to lose horribly. Outsider was flanked from every angle and about to die like the dog he was, or so I thought.. Here's my rendition of the scene

xciom03l1k.png

One by one he manages to take out my entire squad after they decide to prioritize killing air over an alien.

Sniper. MISS.
Shotgun. MISS.
Heavy. MISS.

Outsider kills Heavy.
Shotgun. *runs up 3 feet away. 98% chance hit* MISS.
Sniper. 88%. MISS.

Outsider crits Shotgun.
Sniper. MISS.

Outsider crits Sniper.

And then I turned off the game.

sfedai0

Banned
Jesus H. Christ. One. Fucking. Outsider. Wiped out my entire squad. Here I am obliterating the hell out of the aliens. I have the PERFECT tactical advantage. Let me just go ahead and emphasize on the word "perfect" here.

Now you know how the aliens will feel when you finish them off with one super soldier.

TTG

Keep them together. Bring grenades and your support having a medpack. Chrysalids and their zombie spawn are all about having enough DPS to burn them down.

I did really well, actually. It seems armor, medpacks and other crap has replaced grenades on my squad entirely.

Also, good thing I can pick up and use plasma rifles. My biggest research endeavor so far and the cost for making even one is outrageous. I don't think I have the engineers to build even if I poured all my resources in for one rifle, even though I've been looking for scientist/engineer rewards the whole time.

EDIT: also, is anyone else developing a dedicated stunner? I've started leveling up an assault girl just for this purpose after she proved to be particularly good on one mission. You got the range, plus a shotgun that can kill the target should things go wrong. Now she also has some dodge snap shots buff and she's relatively expendable.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Not all random number generators are created equal, and I do wonder if they don't have the best one. Seems to always come in waves of success or failure.

That aside I do wish they'd somehow show the percentage chance for the enemy hitting you. I'd like to know how much I screwed up in placing my dudes without wondering if I only was lucky/unlucky.

Derrick01

Banned
Feels good not to have extreme money issues for once. I was asked by India to send 6 light plasma rifles for $1600 (I had $30 at the time....I have $30 most of the time :lol) and I already had 2 in reserve so I went to the market and squeezed my extra resources as tight as I could to get the $375 I needed to make 4 more and now I was actually able to resupply on stuff I had built and build my base more. I still have $900 to go with another $400 coming in another 6 days.

nonnocere

There is something comforting with named characters. I have in my group one of my friends, myself and my wife in-game. My wife is apparently a whiz with a laser rifle and with the two of them on my far flank, I know I can depend on them while I sheperd a low level heavy squaddie and a rookie who can't find his ass with both hands.

We'll see if she notices the ex-girlfriend squad I've accidentally lined up for when the core group is inevitably waylaid in some remote German countryside.

Finally got the game tonight, awesome. Playing classic Ironman. This is my first XCOM and I'm loving it! I'm a Fire Emblem pro, so perma death doesn't bother me.

My computer just went off into silicon heaven, and I was freaking out, glad to report the 360 version controls surprisingly well. Job well done Firaxis. Did the tutorial, besides the
forced deaths in the tutorial
I've only loss one rookie while my Hero Heavy from the start was recovering. I love this game.

Fjordson

Love the little celebration scene at the base when you take down a UFO.

Everything about this game feels faithful to the whole classic sci-fi style. I love it.

Derrick01

Banned
Man this abduction mission was going really good, nothing out of the ordinary but then at the very end this mini UFO fucker comes out and basically bends my only Heavy over in 1 hit (he was there from the very beginning). So now I have to keep training rookies and hope one becomes a heavy because I desperately need someone out there with the rocket launcher. I took out 4 mutons and heavily damaged a 5th with a single rocket during that mission because they all grouped up around a couple of cars that exploded with the missile.

I havent loved a game this much in years. I literally play for hours and even then have to make myself stop playing. Progress on my dissertation work has been nonexistent for the last two days. If I never finish grad school, I'm blaming this game.

per·fect   [adj., n. pur-fikt; v. per-fekt] Show IPA
adjective
conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type: a perfect sphere; a perfect gentleman.
excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement: There is no perfect legal code. The proportions of this temple are almost perfect.
exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose: a perfect actor to play Mr. Micawber; a perfect saw for cutting out keyholes.
entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings: a perfect apple; the perfect crime.
accurate, exact, or correct in every detail: a perfect copy.

PERFECT cover. Superior tactical advantage. Perfect everything. There was literally no chance in hell for anything other than the aliens to lose horribly. Outsider was flanked from every angle and about to die like the dog he was, or so I thought.. Here's my rendition of the scene

One by one he manages to take out my entire squad after they decide to prioritize killing air over an alien.

Sniper. MISS.
Shotgun. MISS.
Heavy. MISS.

Outsider kills Heavy.
Shotgun. *runs up 3 feet away. 98% chance hit* MISS.
Sniper. 88%. MISS.

Outsider crits Shotgun.
Sniper. MISS.

Outsider crits Sniper.

And then I turned off the game.

This is why I'm playing Classic non-Ironman.

Jintor

I think so. It's really annoying.

medkits are awesome, but they're not that awesome.

I really want someone to mod the strategic layer to allow for multiple skyrangers and maybe to bump the squaddie limit up to 8 maybe? And see if that's a viable game or if firaxis made the right decision and it's grossly unbalanced

medkits are awesome, but they're not that awesome.

I really want someone to mod the strategic layer to allow for multiple skyrangers and maybe to bump the squaddie limit up to 8 maybe? And see if that's a viable game or if firaxis made the right decision and it's grossly unbalanced

Me? I just want a mod for a female voice with a Russian accent.

I want a sexy russian sniper damnit.

Does anyone else feel weird about renaming and changing the appearance of soldiers? I keep imaging a conversation something like this...

"Congratulation recruit, you are one of the elite few selected to join the XCOM program."

"Thank you sir, it's an honour to serve my planet!"

"As part of your new duties, I must inform you that from now on, your name is 'Scooby Doo'."

"What... I... is that a code name?.. Well, I guess that's ok..."

"Also, please report to the med bay at 13:00 hours for your mandatory plastic surgery."

"WTF?!"

Derrick01

Banned
What does all in mean in regards to giving satellites to countries? Does that mean they'll never pull out of Xcom no matter what the panic meter is?

I just played for 2 hours and got my ass handed to me. This is X-Com alright. I think I did the tutorial and 3 additional levels and never had fewer than 2 casualties .

What does all in mean in regards to giving satellites to countries? Does that mean they'll never pull out of Xcom no matter what the panic meter is?

No, I dont think so. A satellite does however immediately lower their panic level amd stops kt from rising as fast. It also allows you to find ufos in that area.

Jintor

I still hold the 'forced tough choices' of 'you can only deal with one of these missions' is bullshit. If i have the credits to have a second worthwhile assault team and an additional skyranger, why can't I deal with simultaneous ops? Esp. on classic where the ability to outfit such a squad would be prohibitively expensive and the economy is fuuuuuuuucked

Love the little celebration scene at the base when you take down a UFO.

Everything about this game feels faithful to the whole classic sci-fi style. I love it.

Yeah, I'm enjoying all the little presentation touches quite a bit. The guy who does who does the voice for the shadowy XCOM representative is awesome. Stuff like the Interceptor launch and autopsy animation are all really nice.

Derrick01

Banned
No, I dont think so. A satellite does however immediately lower their panic level amd stops kt from rising as fast. It also allows you to find ufos in that area.

Yeah I know that but sending a satellite over each African country gave me "all in" as the final bonus for them.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I know that but sending a satellite over each African country gave me "all in" as the final bonus for them.

If you completely cover a region in sats, you get the bonus you would have received for having a base. All In is the bonus for Africa and it gives you +30% funding at the end of every month.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just started this game and have decided to name my soldiers after random actors and actresses. Jeff Goldblum shall save us from the aliens once more!

Beaulieu

fuckin satellites how do they work.

I have 5 sattelites, 2 uplinks and I cant deploy more than two sattelites.
In the situation room it says "0 sat available" "2/5 sat in orbit"
WTF

How do I deploy these extras sattelites ? I have two fucken uplinks linked together !!

PLEASE HELP ME GAF

edit : holy shit sattelites date 20days to complete wtf omg fuck how come it doesnt say so in the menu. nothing in this menu takes time usually. shit

fuckin satellites how do they work.

I have 5 sattelites, 2 uplinks and I cant deploy more than two sattelites.
In the situation room it says "0 sat available" "2/5 sat in orbit"
WTF

How do I deploy these extras sattelites ? I have two fucken uplinks linked together !!

PLEASE HELP ME GAF
It just means you can deploy a maximum of five satellites, broski. Not that you have them.

tm24

Survived my first terror mission pretty well. Was able to get my 6th guy in before the mission and it helped immensely. Though i accidently clicked for 3 medkits instead of extra smoke grenade for my support. Whatever, i can make it work

DrBo42

This fucking game. Entire squad wiped out by one of those lanky g-man looking fuckers. Just as I get the VIP and 2 soldiers to the extraction point derp derp we've spawned this asshole on the nearby roof making him nearly impossible to hit. Fuck this game.

This fucking game. Entire squad wiped out by one of those lanky g-man looking fuckers. Just as I get the VIP and 2 soldiers to the extraction point derp derp we've spawned this asshole on the nearby roof making him nearly impossible to hit. Fuck this game.
Once you do enough of those missions you will start to learn where enemies are likely to spawn and can set up overlookers to kill them right as they appear.

Top Bottom