• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

pottuvoi

Banned
you don't have to switch to classic if you find normal to be challenging. However if you are beating normal easily, classic (and ironman ) will offer a much better experience.
I would suggest using ironman even with normal, it certainly makes the game more enjoyable experience.

Jintor

Why would you want to interrogate a chrysallid

what purpose does an alive chrysallid have

PUT IT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT

TTG

Why would you want to interrogate a chrysallid

what purpose does an alive chrysallid have

PUT IT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT

Hey, I wasted a slot on an arc thingie before heading out to the
alien base
. I want to interrogate something! How about a muton? I got one of those low on health, god knows it still might cost half my team to bring it in alive.

TTG

Wow at the
alien base
on Classic. This is still early in the game and in 1 turn enemy count goes from 0 to 7. 3 Mutons are ahead, 3 floaters drop in right on top of me and there's something else in the distance. Survive the turn, take out about 4 of the bad guys, 3 cryssalids jump out and poison me. Mutans throw the grenades. Game over.

EDIT: reloaded and spread out my guys/overwatched for a turn. The 3 floaters popped in, but the rest weren't triggered. If this was on Ironman, it would have been game over right there and then. 4 Veterans out, plus a newbie I brought along. Only 2 people in the barracks, one a brand new recruit.

raphier

Banned
It's been difficult to decide lately for me to buy or not to buy the game. Now had six hours to play it on my friends PC and I am really mixed feelings about this.

It seems to me that most difficulty in this game comes from lack of tactical depth rather than super stellar balance, which by itself is horrible. Sometimes the battles are over before they start.

Now, where are my modding tools?

Welp, despite Can You Run It telling me I can run this game with no problems, I can not run this game at all. I'm getting, like, 20 FPS here at the most.

Sucks, because Borderlands 2 runs better.

Specs:

AMD Athlon II X2 260 Processor
3.20 GHz
4.00 GB
AMD Radeon HD 6450

I know my computer is shit, but I thought I could at least run this game. Oh well.

Dennis

Banned
Welp, despite Can You Run It telling me I can run this game with no problems, I can not run this game at all. I'm getting, like, 20 FPS here at the most.

Sucks, because Borderlands 2 runs better.

Specs:

AMD Athlon II X2 260 Processor
3.20 GHz
4.00 GB
AMD Radeon HD 6450

I know my computer is shit, but I thought I could at least run this game. Oh well.

Are you at max settings?

And for a game like this does it really matter much if the fps are around 20? Seems like it would be perfectly playable at 20 fps.

red731

It's funny, just about everything besides V-sync and that were on low from the start.

Low setting next to shadows doesn't mean disabling the dyn. shadows.

Check this post. I will write how to disable right away.

ed:Go to Documents\My Games\XCOM – Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Config find XComEngine.ini, open it and set dynamicshadows=true to false

masterkajo

medkits are awesome, but they're not that awesome.

I really want someone to mod the strategic layer to allow for multiple skyrangers and maybe to bump the squaddie limit up to 8 maybe? And see if that's a viable game or if firaxis made the right decision and it's grossly unbalanced

Oh yes please. I know that the alien abduction missions are part of the gameplay and strategic layer but damnit, once I have enough funding why not allow me to build a second Skyranger and deploy 2 teams at the same time?

I want a challenging game for sure (playing Classic Ironman) but there has to be a point where I get advanged and powerful enough to finally start fighting back and kick some alien butt instead of always just barely staying alive (could be that I am not doing so well on the strategic layer though :p). And with fighting back I mean being able to easily handle alien abduction missions (multiple Skyrangers) while in the meantime advance far enough in the tech tree to start going after the aliens. I really want to turn the tide so the aliens suddenly feel like I felt at the beginning!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I trust the game turned out well?

When I am done with Dishonored, its time to show you younglings how to play XCOM.

It is teh sex. Raw as fuck.

Not as hardcore as OG X-Com settings wise (I with I could pickup items from the floor), but other than that it's really, really good. GOTY contender.

MasLegio

Banned
Satelite nexus is broken in the game. Should add support for 4 additional satelites but it only adds for 1 since it is next to an uplink.

My collector's edition is somewhere in the postal system now. I just hope nothing gets fucked up so I don't get it before the weekend, if not I might have to do something useful this weekend.

Low setting next to shadows doesn't mean disabling the dyn. shadows.

Check this post. I will write how to disable right away.

ed:Go to Documents\My Games\XCOM – Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Config find XComEngine.ini, open it and set dynamicshadows=true to false

It helped. Still choppy on my PC, but I'll deal with it.

So far on Classic Ironman I'm around 16ish missions in, have the mission to
capture an outsider
and 2 countries have pulled out so far. Strategic situation isn't looking too hot as there are lots of countries with panic rising. In the tactical enounters though my dudes are kicking ass and taking names. I've yet to have a squad wipe although I had a few close calls at the start with 2 separate misisons being saved by lone badasses taking out multiple aliens. In the last 10 missions or so though the only people I've lost have been 3 rookies trying to get a capture, but 2 dead rooks for one live muton is a good deal. Have I just been lucky so far? I haven't yet run into any of the really bad ones I'm reading about, like
14 chrysalids oh god flashbacks to 1993.

Anyway, game is awesome. Digging it.

Ken

Finish tutorial and then continue. Normal non-Ironman. After you get a hang of it you can switch to Classic non-Ironman. Classic Ironman is a completely different beast.

This seems like a game where it would take many hours before "getting it" though. What's the difference between normal and classic?

patapuf

This seems like a game where it would take many hours before "getting it" though. What's the difference between normal and classic?

there's lots of subtle changes but in general the game gets (a lot) harder and the aliens are more eager to kill you.

raphier

Banned

So far I find that hit and cover calculations are shit. I shoot an alien through 3 walls and always miss, when the same bastard always kills my troops, same distance. It always comes to grenade bust or short-range because there is no option for long-range battles per se. Nada. It forces me to move around, because if I stay I am 100% dead next round. And no matter what surface, you can shotgun an enemy through zero-length aliencraft wall.

I am losing my men to stupid things. There was an occasion where I and the enemy were three meters from each others, behind a short cover. I couldn't target at it. I had to move up one tile to do that. Or if I had moved one tile less earlier, I would get a yellow shield on it. got killed by it next round. Can't flank. Always ends up close-range or unable to aim.

Two actions per move kinda is a bullshit way of reducing time spent on each mission.

Other than combat and satellite crapola I am enjoying the rest of the game.

patapuf

Good. You can try and disable dynamic lights too, but I think that would affect the atmosphere the game wants to accomplish.

Q: Dashing cancels enemys OW?

If by OW you mean overwatch then no. But you have a higher defence while dashing then you would have if you moved twice.

TTG

So far on Classic Ironman I'm around 16ish missions in, have the mission to
capture an outsider
and 2 countries have pulled out so far. Strategic situation isn't looking too hot as there are lots of countries with panic rising. In the tactical enounters though my dudes are kicking ass and taking names. I've yet to have a squad wipe although I had a few close calls at the start with 2 separate misisons being saved by lone badasses taking out multiple aliens. In the last 10 missions or so though the only people I've lost have been 3 rookies trying to get a capture, but 2 dead rooks for one live muton is a good deal. Have I just been lucky so far? I haven't yet run into any of the really bad ones I'm reading about, like
14 chrysalids oh god flashbacks to 1993.

Anyway, game is awesome. Digging it.

Isn't that the 2nd or third "priority" mission? Have you just been avoiding it?

Anyway,
alien base
on classic left me decimated. And this is with having to reload 3-5 times just because I found myself in a terrible spot. My resources are down again, I'm starting to wonder if normal wouldn't have been the better setting first time through.

Just checked, I have 11 dead already. 3 weren't my fault, so that's 8 real deaths. And I only have one active rookie, the rest are in the infirmary. :p

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Holy fuck, I just got a 3/4 casualty rate on my second mission. One of my KIA was my badass shotgun dude.

This game is unforgiving.

Darkwater

Does capturing the same kind of alien twice have any benefits? Is it even possible?

Killed an Outsider by accident. Vahlen was all mad.
Overwatch LMG salvo, right in the kisser. Ha!

Hit the 16 hour mark and I'm just getting completely fucked from all angles. Enemies are exponentially more powerful, I can't keep up with satellite/interceptor demands AND afford important gear for my squad. The economy in this game is one cold hearted bitch.

TTG

So how long does it actually take to finish a Classic Ironman run?

Define finish. Because, unless I've somehow fundamentally fucked up in the geospace, my guess is that most people will "finish" relatively early,
alien base

marjo

While its true that it doesn't make any subsequent shot's odds any better, the odds of missing 4 times in a row with a 70% chance to hit is astronomically low. (30%)^4 = 0.81% chance to receive that outcome. However like every odds out there, when something is not 100% given, there is a chance you may be that less than 1%.

edit:

.81% is not what I would call astronomically low. Given the number of shots you take in the game, it means most people are likely to see something like this sooner or later.

JoeBoy101

Hit the 16 hour mark and I'm just getting completely fucked from all angles. Enemies are exponentially more powerful, I can't keep up with satellite/interceptor demands AND afford important gear for my squad. The economy in this game is one cold hearted bitch.

This. Honestly I restarted my normal game because, though my economy was doing good and research was going well, it was drying up fast because all my vets were dead and any downed UFO was wiping me with
Mutons, Heavy Floaters, and Sectoid Commanders
. Even on Normal difficulty, its proving very difficult. Though I'd swear the to hit rates are not calculating correctly. You can't miss a 75% hit chance 5 times in a row.

Mikeside

This. Honestly I restarted my normal game because, though my economy was doing good and research was going well, it was drying up fast because all my vets were dead and any downed UFO was wiping me with
Mutons, Heavy Floaters, and Sectoid Commanders
. Even on Normal difficulty, its proving very difficult. Though I'd swear the to hit rates are not calculating correctly. You can't miss a 75% hit chance 5 times in a row.

XCOM.

Ken

Do you guys think they'll just release the Elite Soldier pack later as DLC?

I'm still pre-loading but I don't think I got the pack (or Civ5). I'd really hate to miss out on simple stuff like coloring armor, sigh.

patapuf

Do you guys think they'll just release the Elite Soldier pack later as DLC?

I'm still pre-loading but I don't think I got the pack (or Civ5). I'd really hate to miss out on simple stuff like coloring armor, sigh.

i think everyone got the soldier pack, regardless of preorder or not.

Top Bottom