• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Soi-Fong

Soo. Anybody here know where the saves are located?

Edit:

XComGame2012-10-1119-29-44-99.jpg

Love her nickname. Football(soccer) fans should know who she is.

Jintor

Okay. Much improved first mission outing. Screenlogging working beautifully. Can't wait to get back after class and start crafting the LP.

Varna

Wow. People were not kidding when they said gamepad felt a lot better for this game then k/m. I just keep finding myself trying to control the game like other kind of isometric titles and it just wasn't working.

Never would have thought I would be playing Xcom with a gamepad on my HDTV.... but here we are.

Jubbly

Please tell me I'm stupid and not bugged on the final level...

The
door to the alien bridge won't open, it doesn't have the open icon, explosives don't work, etc. Any ideas? I'm on Ironman and have no way of reloading the mission to an earlier point...

Do we have any patch notes on that 1.8gb monster yet?

EDIT: FOUND EM!

Replaced software cursor with the operating system cursor to reduce lag and framerate dependence.

That's huge on the PC!

Oh my god thank fuck, will that also help with the game freaking the fuck out when you mouse over buildings with multiple floors?

I hope this game does well enough for it to become a franchise again. Firaxis tackling a sequel in the vein of Terror from the Deep would be undoubtedly amazing.

Hey, Jintor, sign me up for some GAFCom too, please.
SteamID: Iron Yuppie

Desaan

Just wondering guys is it worth it to capture aliens?

It's worth knocking them out if you have a good shot at doing so because you have a chance to recover plasma weapons. Capturing different species offers various types of bonus things to research.

Ken

That sucks. I know with me I thought I didn't have Civ5 so I restarted Steam. I then saw it under 'S' instead of 'C' but for all I know it could have been there the whole time since I think I only looked under 'C'. Wouldn't hurt to restart Steam anyways if you haven't already.

Didn't work. Thanks anyways. I sent a support ticket to Steam so maybe something will come out of that.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So I'm on like.... my 8th game or something and it is just not going my way at all this time. Lost two soldiers per mission on all 8 missions so far. This has been the nastiest game so far as per enemy spawns and such are concerned. Pure brutality.

Okay, this game has me reliving my childhood, one thing i need to know though...

How do research credits work? I have interrogated 2 species, have plasma weapon credit, ufo tech credit. How do i use these/how do they work?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Okay, this game has me reliving my childhood, one thing i need to know though...

How do research credits work? I have interrogated 2 species, have plasma weapon credit, ufo tech credit. How do i use these/how do they work?

Your time spent researching projects related to those two topics is reduced.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I wasn't really too chuffed with the reduced squad sizes when I played the demo, but the more I play the more it bothers me. Four to six easily-spooked peeps who get one to two attacks per turn can easily turn a very small run of bad luck into a complete squad wipe in a mission. The much larger squads in the original game combined with each dude likely getting from one to potentially twelve shots in a single turn made your overall hit percentage converge towards the mean quite quickly.

How do you knock them out and not kill them?

You need to research the Arc Thrower then manufacture some and equip them on your soldiers. Each Arc Thrower can be fired twice per mission.

Jubbly

Please tell me I'm stupid and not bugged on the final level...

The
door to the alien bridge won't open, it doesn't have the open icon, explosives don't work, etc. Any ideas? I'm on Ironman and have no way of reloading the mission to an earlier point...

You probably missed a spawn trigger or something.

Yup, one Muton miles back. I left the rest of my squad at the door, and the rogue Muton was killed two more appeared right next to the group and got insta-killed by Overwatch.

Ken

Does the armor from research change the way your guys look? I guess I want to know if better armor looks cooler.

inky

Wish I knew this beforehand. I fucking lost Argentina and close to losing Brazil and therefore all of South America.

I lost France, Japan, and China. No fucks were given.

Also, just captured my first
Ethereal
=D and one of the best candidates for that "special training" is the one I named after myself. Can't wait for the time to be up to see if he is up to the challenge.

Does the armor from research change the way your guys look? I guess I want to know if better armor looks cooler.

Yes, there's like 4 or 5 sets more. Cooler is up to you I guess.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Yeah, all the armor looks different. Some of the suits look kind of similar, but they've all got something distinctive about them.

Whether they look better or not is a matter of personal taste. Personally I thought the final armor was a bit of a downgrade, looks-wise.

Arcteryx

Anyone else got this on PS3 and having weird clipping issues? The HUD(like base view) gets all cluttered and overlapped at times and when deploying for a mission, sometimes it overlays troops on top of each other so I can't really tell who is going on a mission until it starts.

:\

Game is an absolute blast otherwise though. Finished up the tutorial and just been working on getting a hang of the rest of the mechanics.

zonezeus

A couple of thins I noticed:

1. Wielding an Arc Thrower in XCOM is like wearing a redshirt in Star Trek. Really, it's like a homing beacon for plasma, everyone with an Arc Thrower seems to be dead on arrival.

2. My squad is a bunch of jokers. Seriously, they miss so much in overwatch that it must be some sort of an elaborate joke on their part. Real-time combat? No problem commander, we're popping alien heads left and right. Overwatch? Sir, we forgot how to shoot, sir!

3. That fucking elevation level glitch. So I send my best heavy guy to take cover behind a small concrete wall on the edge of the bridge to provide cover for VIP extraction. The ledge flickers, I click the mouse button and instead being in cover, he ends up one level lower, in the open, facing Thin Men firing at him with elevation bonuses. I send my best assault girl to take some Thin Men out and save the bloke's ass, she ends up in the same fucking situation, out in the open, shot to pieces. Last save? Almost 2 hours ago. Rage-quit (haven't done that in YEARS).

This game is awesome!

Victrix

*beard*
Overwatch carries an aim penalty

And turn on autosave, it'll save every turn so you can back up if something buggy happens or you make a fatal missclick.

Jintor

My first classic mission my rookies missed every time. Second time around they hit every time, but I didn't want to push my chances so I 'naded the last two sectoid bastards. Damn I love the RNG

Jintor

I hope this game does well enough for it to become a franchise again. Firaxis tackling a sequel in the vein of Terror from the Deep would be undoubtedly amazing.

Hey, Jintor, sign me up for some GAFCom too, please.
SteamID: Iron Yuppie

link it, dude. Searching is problematic on steam, if it returns false positives i don't like having to weed through accounts to find the gaf-related ones

ugh, just lost 2 captains,1 seargent and a SHIV on a landed UFO mission.. 6 mutons and a cyberdisk outta nowhere..

Rockets, Rockets, and more Rockets. They've saved me dozens of times.

A couple of thins I noticed:

3. That fucking elevation level glitch. So I send my best heavy guy to take cover behind a small concrete wall on the edge of the bridge to provide cover for VIP extraction. The ledge flickers, I click the mouse button and instead being in cover, he ends up one level lower, in the open, facing Thin Men firing at him with elevation bonuses. I send my best assault girl to take some Thin Men out and save the bloke's ass, she ends up in the same fucking situation, out in the open, shot to pieces. Last save? Almost 2 hours ago. Rage-quit (haven't done that in YEARS).

I fucking hate this. It's especially bad on the UFO that has the tanks in the middle.

I'm not entirely sure how the percentage for hitting things works, and I'm more than a little frustrated right now after failing a mission I should have won, tactically at least.

I was doing an abduction, fought a shit-ton of floaters, probably about eight or so, beat them without taking any damage at all. Fine. The map doesn't end, and there's one corner left unexplored, so I slowly make my way over there. I've got two guys on the top floor of the map, a third guy on the middle floor, and two guys on the ground floor working around to flank.

In the unexplored corner is 3 Mutors. Fine, that's great. I close in. My guys on the rooftop do 5 damage total out of 8 possible to one Mutor. Everybody's under cover, good to go...and then the Mutors one-hit kill two of guys, both who are floors above them, causing a third guy of mine to panick. And my two guys on the ground floor can get a maximum 50% shot on the Mutors and never hit, and I end up losing the mission.

Doesn't height + cover give you a better advantage? How can the enemy one-hit kill me from a disadvantageous spot, hitting me every time they fire, while I can spend a whole turn with all of my guys and they all whiff? Why are my guys only getting 44% accuracy when they're three squares away from the enemy and have a clear line of sight? I feel like tactically I'm playing correctly but I'm being punished anyway.

golem

This game is awesome!

I think I know what mission you're talking about and the exact same thing happened to me.. they need to fix that shit

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Just got my first character to Captain and Im too broke to buy the squad upgrade. I may bench them until I get paid again so I dont lose it lol

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've hit a mission that's impossible to do without getting wiped.

12 Cyrsotlids, 4 cyber discs, no cover besides 1 car that's on fire, 18 civilians who are all in the fog of war so they're turning to zombies while you're setting up, No assualts, 2 squaddies, and everytime I've loaded, Col. Sniper misses his first 3 shots.

I understand this game is supposed to be hard. This isn't hard, it's annoying. If I could quit this mission, I would and let Zimbabwe get eaten.

SHIV's are excellent for terror missions, let them dash thru the map ignoring the enemies and rescue the civilians, and have your squad hang back and gangrape the chrysilids it spots. SHIV's cant be zombified.

Also Chrysilids can't climb buildings or cars/shipping crates etc. Have your dudes with grappling hooks pick them off from above.

If things are going bad just dash back to the blue rectangle near the skyranger.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm playing the 360 version, and on occasion (actually almost every mission), one of my guys will have the contact icon pop up on his turn, only there're no enemies and other soldiers right next to him have nothing. When this happens, it happens every time they get a turn.

Is this a bug, or do I just completely not get the system?

Aaaaand I retry the same mission, the Mutors get to the upper floor first and get the advantage this time, and of course I can't hit them from the lower vantage point and they one-hit crit kill two of my guys again. Ugh.

Beardz

I'm thinking about this game when I'm at my work... I can't remember when was the last time a game made me feel this :D

Mesoian

Had a super annoying bug tonight where, if a sniper uses the jetpack, then lands, he loses all view of the battlefield, even with squadvision on. Went through 75% of a mission with him tailing on a roof and not being able to see anything, even when it was eventually right up in his face.

Then the game freaked out in it's pathfinding and randomly spawned a Berserker and a heavy floater on top of him.

This game is great, but it is buggy as shit.

SHIV's are excellent for terror missions, let them dash thru the map ignoring the enemies and rescue the civilians, and have your squad hang back and gangrape the chrysilids it spots. SHIV's cant be zombified.

Also Chrysilids can't climb buildings or cars/shipping crates etc. Have your dudes with grappling hooks pick them off from above.

If things are going bad just dash back to the blue rectangle near the skyranger.

Chrysilids can climb buildings. My good sniper found that out the hard way.

Septopods are my new bane, but I can't tell if they're unreasonably strong or if they're just upgraded cyberdiscs. The mission I'm on put 3 of them with drones in a room, because fuck you that's why.

The level design of the alien heavy carrier is pretty bad. It's the first environment that made me groan from how many blantent killboxes were there. The fact that it's one of the enemy strongholds doesn't make me feel great since I know I'll have to play it a bunch of times.

I just launched Steam and now it's downloading a 1.8GB update for XCOM. Is this the biggest patch in gaming history which isn't an MMO expansion?

edit: Ahahaha, those patch notes. 1080p movies are now used instead of 720p. SHIVs are fixed. And most importantly, hardware mouse cursor is implemented! How using software mouse cursor somehow got into release code is something which is unfathomable to me. Even FFXIV had enough sense to get hardware mouse cursor in for that game's abortion of a launch.

Top Bottom