• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

4 have quit on my Normal game, but all the others have satellites and panic levels are low, mainly due to succeeding in a very important mission. Not enough UFO's flying around though. I've barely used my Firestorms.

havocau

Neo Member
Just did a ranked match against a guy called AussieMark who had a 37k point army vs my 10k point army... WTF?!

I somehow managed to get it down to a 1v1 fight but his last guy was a really fkn strong alien with mind control etc :( (I think its called etheral, worth 9k points alone!)

grr :( cheaters already!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
You can always wait a couple of weeks. I'm sure it'll become freely available soon.

Weeks... I wish. It's going to be several months and all I fucking wanted was the customization ability, I made sure to preorder it several weeks in advance but for some bloody reason I don't have the stuff now.

Jubbly

Fucking hell the soldier pathing is bad.

Some enemies were on a roof, but not yet activated, so I wanted to position my guy down to the far right of the building so when he went up he would have cover.

To accomplish this amazing feat he had to run three squares down an alley past two bins. And yea, you guessed it, instead of running past the bins he went up to the roof, activated the enemies, ran three squares to the right and jumped down to where I wanted him to go.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Fucking hell the soldier pathing is bad.

Some enemies were on a roof, but not yet activated, so I wanted to position my guy down to the far right of the building so when he went up he would have cover.

To accomplish this amazing feat he had to run three squares down an alley past two bins. And yea, you guessed it, instead of running past the bins he went up to the roof, activated the enemies, ran three squares to the right and jumped down to where I wanted him to go.

picard-facepalm.jpg

now you know to pay attention to the path line :p i had a similar mishap...

Mupod

Normal ironman's been pretty smooth sailing for a while. Haven't lost a soldier in ages, aside from my former best heavy (named after a friend) taking that critical wound from an exploding car. He's got two replacements anyways, so he only comes along when everyone else is wounded.

Finally got a Japanese male assault soldier and named him Takeru 'Vanguard' Shirogane. So far he is living up to his namesake, in his first few missions he's racked up about 10 laser scatter kills without taking a scratch. And now he has an Alloy Cannon.

Cleared the
alien base
, although my sniper's propensity for crits ruined my chance to capture their boss. After finishing that mission I was greeted with the pleasant surprise of worldwide panic reduction, so now not only have I not lost a country nobody is over 2 panic. And once my nexus goes up I'll have NA, asia, europe, africa and south america continental bonuses.

Built the
psi labs, and was pleasantly surprised AGAIN when the awesome bald bearded chinese heavy I've had since the beginning of the game ended up being a psionic badass. My colonel sniper (who has carried my team for a long time) is in testing now, kind of hoping he's NOT psychic since it feels like that'll make his ego even bigger.

Had a slightly hairy terror mission - lost 4 civilians AT ONCE to an exploding tank that was far out of my reach. What are civilians doing on a military base? Also, berserkers are kinda sad and not really threatening at all on this difficulty.

Now I'm just waiting for the end of the month. I'm sure the aliens are ready to ruin my confidence soon.

Oh and is anyone else getting frame drops when Mutons use 'intimidate' since the last patch? My game chugs for a split second afterwards sometimes.

Teletraan1

Banned
I'm playing on PS3 and the game plays great with a controller. They definitely made an effort to create a set of controls and menus that work extremely well with a controller.

I wish that same effort was given to make the mouse work properly on menus. I cant tell you how many times I had to click on and around a button with the mouse in order to get it to work. The worst offenders are these "extra" buttons that aren't in the controller interface but added for mouse controls. They add an extra "OK" button to the selling of goods on the grey market. The mission screen etc. They have a much smaller hit zone than the graphic implies. if you just use the keyboard and hit enter its fine but for the mouse Its Skyrim PC menu bad. I actually switched to a gamepad because it is clear that the game interface was designed with a gamepad in mind.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If I get one sat in each continent as early as possible, does that mean I can detect more UFOs over time than if I had only one or two continents?

Clunker

This is my first Xcom experience, and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm playing on a self-imposed Normal Ironman (I missed the option to start in Ironman, is it not available at the beginning of the tutorial?) and suffered the heartbreak of my first veteran soldier death when Ruiz, my prized female sniper from Brazil, took a critical thin man blast to the face even while in cover. I had a backup sniper in reserved, but then one of my best Assaults bit it in the very next mission when she went down from a hit from a Muton, got revived, and then was instantly killed next turn by thin man poison. :(

The metagame is kicking my ass. I was riding high and focusing on officer school upgrades and armor, but then I realized too late how long it takes to build a satellite uplink and satellites. Now a giant wave of fear has washed over the planet, India and Japan pulled out of the project with most of the Eastern Hemisphere ready to follow, and I couldn't build laser weapons because of an alloy shortage. Christ, what a game.

God dammit. Thunder Armstrong was the meanest motherfucker I've met yet. Him and Witchy were with me from day fucking one. So sad they had to die such bitch deaths.

I had several days of no activity, and then suddenly a large UFO appeared in the UK and took two of my ships to be taken down. I had a feeling going in this wasn't gonna go so well, but I took it anyway, because I knew no matter what Thunder Armstrong and Witchy would at least be standing when the dust settled.

The Skyranger touched down literally feet from a hole blown in the UFO's hull. I sent Thunder and Witchy to either side to cover it, and had the other three guys on my team (another Heavy, a Sniper, and a Squaddie Assault with a laser rifle) take position nearby. When they looked inside, two Outsiders appeared and took cover. On their turn they opened fire, and got lucky crits on BOTH of my best soldiers, instantly killing them without hope of recovery. I actually let out a scream, I was so upset!

However, the mission had to go on and my other three guys took out the Outsiders plus the six Floaters that appeared with ease. I proceeded to have them move through the base very slowly and carefully, making sure nobody was gonna get crit insta-killed again. We encountered our first Mutons, so I had everybody back the fuck up while the Heavy fired a rocket while they were close together, taking down most of their health. The Heavy was downed of course, but my plan was to have the Sniper and Assault to take down the remaining two Mutons from a distance, and then heal the Heavy. I didn't realize how fast Mutons were, and they got right up on the Assault! Sniper took one of them down, but I also didn't realize the other Muton had full health, so I ended up taking too many turns to bring the health down, before my Sniper finished it off close range with his pistol with one health remaining.

I lost too many good soldiers that mission. The reason there are so few casualties on that memorial is BECAUSE of Thunder Armstrong and Witchy! They could have been the most elite soldiers I've ever had! FUCK THIS GAME! FUCK THIS GAME OF THE YEAR!

FtHTiny

Lost another 5 high level soldiers on an ufo mission. My run starts to tremble.
I was in a room inside no door was open but the front gate where i entered. Suddenly a sectopod and 3 heavy floaters are in the room and shit hit the fan so fast it wasn´t pretty. Managed it somehow to get through this shit with 2 very infured man and one full health sniper. Had to clear 3 muton patrols and 1 thin man patrol to finish the mission and barely managed it with 1 guy. Now i have to train up another round of rookies.

This is my first Xcom experience, and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm playing on a self-imposed Normal Ironman (I missed the option to start in Ironman, is it not available at the beginning of the tutorial?) and suffered the heartbreak of my first veteran soldier death when Ruiz, my prized female sniper from Brazil, took a critical thin man blast to the face even while in cover. I had a backup sniper in reserved, but then one of my best Assaults bit it in the very next mission when she went down from a hit from a Muton, got revived, and then was instantly killed next turn by thin man poison. :(

The metagame is kicking my ass. I was riding high and focusing on officer school upgrades and armor, but then I realized too late how long it takes to build a satellite uplink and satellites. Now a giant wave of fear has washed over the planet, India and Japan pulled out of the project with most of the Eastern Hemisphere ready to follow, and I couldn't build laser weapons because of an alloy shortage. Christ, what a game.

the option is there, you have to select advanced options when selecting the difficulty level.

Magilla

Banned
Did a terror mission last night and it was all chrysalids! What the hell am I supposed to do about that shit? It was a chain reaction cluster-fuck. Just hop in the Sky Ranger and nuke it from orbit. Jesus... the nightmares. I can still hear the screams.

The first meeting with a cyber disk...

'Things did not go well.

Surprisingly the cyber disc went down doing any damage, but it's little fucking drones ate half my health on two soldiers, so when they went to battle agains the mutons they went down in one shot.

I mean, I want to say I was unlucky , and blame the losses on the RNG, but looking back, I can see the careless moves, the places where if I had been more patient I could have saved my two heavies, and had rockets for the Mutons that showed up.

RIP Saur Kraut (Heavy)
RIP Shelly Cortana (Support)
RIP Gorbachev (Assault)

3 majors, 1 luitenant a squaddie and rookie died out there, totally heartbreaking.

Aaaaaand now I just rage started the next mission forgetting to put carapace armor and laser rifles on my dudes. FML.

Did a terror mission last night and it was all chrysalids! What the hell am I supposed to do about that shit? It was a chain reaction cluster-fuck. Just hop in the Sky Ranger and nuke it from orbit. Jesus... the nightmares. I can still hear the screams.

When I hit a mission like that it is one front man and everybody else overwatches about 10 paces behind. I dont even worry about cover since it does you little good against them anyway. i just throw them out there in the open with overwatch and they tear them up on sight. Especially if you have all the overwatch/reaction perks.

Overwatch+plasma weapons and a sniper with double shot and upgraded scope.

Chrysalids roll into a world of hurt.

suaveric

Can you not stun an Ethereal? The very first mission I ran in to one I got him all the way down to 3 hp and I have my stunner run right up to him, point blank with a 95% chance and it misses. I have a recent save so I try again and again and again. Five times and every time with a 95% chance to hit and I miss.

Is there a trick or a different stun tool or is my luck just that bad?

Rad-

Post sent my copy on wednesday, still didn't arrive. Have to wait till monday now. Fucking post office, why you so slow? Last game I ordered came in 1 day.

Almighty

Ha I just that shit just happened to me as well. Thankfully I finally manage to scrape together the resources to outfit my troops with laser rifles and carapace armor or I would of been boned. My heart did skip a beat a few times when it kept showing Chrysalid after Chrysalid. I finally just had my guys hunker down and my two bad ass sniper just picked them off as they appeared. It was close a few times. Sadly half the civies died, but meh not my problem.

Speaking of snipers one of them just made Colonel and I can't decided between In The Zone or Double Tap. I am leaning towards Double Tap right now.

Mupod

My sniper is a total bad ass, if I lose him I'm pretty much fucked haha

I felt the same way, but then I got another badass sniper for free as a mission reward. I switch em out once in a while just in case. I can't imagine either of them ever actually letting an alien get close enough to kill them, though.

Speaking of snipers one of them just made Colonel and I can't decided between In The Zone or Double Tap. I am leaning towards Double Tap right now.

I fucking love double tap, because I try to capture aliens constantly for free guns and double disabling shot is the safest way to do it. My sniper is hardly ever in a position to use in the zone anyways.

Zeliard

One badass sniper is good, but two is better. :) Mine both have plasma sniper rifles and laser pistols with upgraded pistols II.

Yeah two snipers is fantastic, especially giving both Squad Sight.

And it's so satisfying getting your guys positioned properly with Overwatch.

Recently had a UFO mission where unbeknownst to me only a lone Outsider was sitting inside the ship as the final enemy. I had 5 peeps including two snipers positioned for perfect Overwatch inside and then had my Assault gal open the door, and as soon as the Outsider materialized and moved around he was immediately shot at by 5 people. Was obliterated.

Derrick01

Banned
Probably the only real problem I have with this game is how much the aliens get to move and how unfair it is for me. I had a Beserker basically traverse half the map in a single turn since he moved when I saw him (which they all do, extremely annoying), then had his normal move, and moved every time one of my guys shot him.

Ha I just that shit just happened to me as well. Thankfully I finally manage to scrape together the resources to outfit my troops with laser rifles and carapace armor or I would of been boned. My heart did skip a beat a few times when it kept showing Chrysalid after Chrysalid. I finally just had my guys hunker down and my two bad ass sniper just picked them off as they appeared. It was close a few times. Sadly half the civies died, but meh not my problem.

Definitely double tap. Give that dude a plasma sniper rifle in the future with that. He will take out two aliens by himself practically every turn.

Can you not stun an Ethereal? The very first mission I ran in to one I got him all the way down to 3 hp and I have my stunner run right up to him, point blank with a 95% chance and it misses. I have a recent save so I try again and again and again. Five times and every time with a 95% chance to hit and I miss.

Is there a trick or a different stun tool or is my luck just that bad?

you can do it, i tried stunning the first one i came across as well, and i succeeded. i don't know of any trick, i just did it the normal way, and i'm pretty sure the ethereal might have had more than 3 hp. maybe you need the advanced arc thrower engineered?

DrBo42

Can someone list all the parameters that result in a failed campaign? Game does a really shitty job telling you. How many countries can leave the council?

Yeah two snipers is fantastic, especially giving both Squad Sight.

And it's so satisfying getting your guys positioned properly with Overwatch.

Recently had a UFO mission where unbeknownst to me only a lone Outsider was sitting inside the ship as the final enemy. I had 5 peeps including two snipers positioned for perfect Overwatch inside and then had my Assault gal open the door, and as soon as the Outsider materialized and moved around he was immediately shot at by 5 people. Was obliterated.

In the late game overwatch has become my favorite feature. You are right though, it is all about anticipating where to put them so that they all get visuals. Since I have really good armor and health, I often don't even worry about cover when I'm overwatching. I care more about positioning for the quick kill. I do use smoke frequently to compensate, though. I took the smoke grenades perk over the medpack ones.

I'm pretty far in and havent used a single medkit. I just play conoservatively until enemies show up then I go all out for quick klls before they can counter.

The biggest critical hit I have got so far is 15 with both a plasma sniper rifle and heavy plasma. Could an alloy cannon do more when buffed by the assault soldiers skills?

path line sucks

they should have let us control the path ourselves, like we could when there were time units in the previous games.

Now it is just a mess

You can control the path, kind of. I haven't tried it out extensively yet, but you can definitely affect the path line.

Soktos

Ok, I had a WTF moment.

Playing the game before work, I decided to take on an extreme difficulty mission. However, I had to leave early before I could finish... in my haste out the door, I accidentally hit "abandon mission"... and WTF!! All my guys were then KIA! My entire squad of elites. Wow. What, upon abandoning a mission, do they figure they would rather off themselves then return with no pride?

And all because I clicked too rapidly. Ouch. One of my men was Eddard Stark. I guess he had it coming...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do I need to do anything else to capture aliens? I just stunned 2 but back at my HQ no message about a new item or interrogation or anything pops up.

yarden24

right, just finished my first play-through, normal ironman, lost 42 soldiers, never failed a mission, killed 161 aliens, lost 3 members of the council (2 at the end because i was skipping missions, was bored of them).

the start and middle parts are great fun, end part is kind of a let down, no tension, and it gets quite repetitive, enjoyed the last mission
the mega etheral was a bitch to kill, but i used a mind controled heavy muton to lure him out, so i dealt with him alone, dont even know what else was with him in that room.

I enjoyed the explanation of all the creatures a lot,though they they skipped the crystal dudes for some reason (otherworlders?)

all in all, a fun game, ill start a game in classic difficulty sometime in the future

Do I need to do anything else to capture aliens? I just stunned 2 but back at my HQ no message about a new item or interrogation or anything pops up.

You need a containment unit but the tutorial makes you build one.

After that you just select the interogation option in research.

I just lost my backup sniper, who was using snapshot. Not too concerned, Squad site really is the way to go on this one.

After that last wipe, I may need to just go and do this shit without Iron man on, I like the difficulty of classic, but the tension just gets too high, and I get way too invested when dudes die.

Oppo

Don't get too freaked out by countries leaving. I heard the devs themselves say it was impossible to keep everyone in the council, it's set up that way.

The real thing to pay attention to in the Situation Room is that overall Doom Meter thing at the very top.

yarden24

did you capture someone you already have? in that case you cant research again, you do get their weapons intact though, which is a nice bonus

Tokubetsu

I just lost my backup sniper, who was using snapshot. Not too concerned, Squad site really is the way to go on this one.

After that last wipe, I may need to just go and do this shit without Iron man on, I like the difficulty of classic, but the tension just gets too high, and I get way too invested when dudes die.

No necessarily. Snap Shot is extremely useful on the smaller/tighter maps.

Top Bottom