• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

jwhit28

I'm so conflicted with the Sniper skill split where you pick to either have squad sight or be able to fire your sniper rifle after you move. I love having my snipers hang back on high ground and pretty much clean house, but so many times my snipers have had to move in and try to make a save with a pistol and it has failed.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I posted this in the buy/trade thread as well : If anyone wouldn't mind I'll happily buy the customization pre-order dlc off ya, I'd really appreciate it...

Darkwater

I went with squad sight. The accuracy penalty on move & shoot didn't fit the way I handle a sniper, for me. I suppose it's a better perk if you use your sniper a little more aggressively.

Can someone list all the parameters that result in a failed campaign? Game does a really shitty job telling you. How many countries can leave the council?

the situation room has a counter at the top left of the flat map. there are 8 red blocks and each time a country leaves one block starts glowing. so if you lose 8 (half the total), its over.

Do I need to do anything else to capture aliens? I just stunned 2 but back at my HQ no message about a new item or interrogation or anything pops up.

it might be because although you stunned them, other area of effect attacks (in whose vicinity their bodies fell) may have killed them afterward (like grenades or rockets).

Mupod

I'm so conflicted with the Sniper skill split where you pick to either have squad sight or be able to fire your sniper rifle after you move. I love having my snipers hang back on high ground and pretty much clean house, but so many times my snipers have had to move in and try to make a save with a pistol and it has failed.

I dunno, snipers get EXTREMELY badass at high levels and having them hang back makes it very unlikely that they'll ever die. And pistols can get pretty damn good once upgraded.

I just can't imagine not having squad sight. I have enough dumb goobers who need to be super close to the enemies to hit, I prefer having somebody who doesn't need to take up valuable cover spaces to be useful.

it might be because although you stunned them, other area of effect attacks (in whose vicinity their bodies fell) may have killed them afterward (like grenades or rockets).

That happened to me when a Muton tossed a grenade and I was like OH NO YOU DI-DN'T when the damage number popped up over my captured alien.

yarden24

I went with squad sight. The accuracy penalty on move & shoot didn't fit the way I handle a sniper, for me. I suppose it's a better perk if you use your sniper a little more aggressively.

problem is in big spaceship and close quarters, squad shoot is useless with many walls around

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I played a few missions now, enjoying it a lot but it hasn't really captured what I liked about the original, especially in the combat, It doesn't feel as free, it feels like it's forcing you to adopt certain way of playing.

I get the feeling that this one really wants you to care for your soldiers, whereas I enjoyed playing the original really recklessly, it's hard to send guys on a suicide mission or out into the open as bait when there are so few of them. I'm also not keen on the classes, it just feels limiting, I don't mind perks for soldiers who consistently use the rocket launcher or sniper rifle but not being able to pick up a fallen comrades weapon in a moment of desperation is an odd choice. also things like having to choose between a grenade or a vest is strange :)

But while it only superficially feels like UFO, I am enjoying it and it feels like it's own game, I definitely wouldn't just have wanted UFO Enemy Unknown with an updated UI, but I do wish it kept more of that freedom to play as you want. This is an early impression however and it could all change once i have put more time into it.

Hari Seldon

I think my first game on Normal Ironman is going to end in disaster. I'm winning all the fights and only had 1 complete wipe, however I am definitely not getting enough satellites up in the air. It is really hard to get that shit up quick. I already lost 2 countries and in another day 3 more are going to bail. I'm on the alien base mission so I'm hoping it reduces some tension or something haha.

I posted this in the buy/trade thread as well : If anyone wouldn't mind I'll happily buy the customization pre-order dlc off ya, I'd really appreciate it...

I don't think that anyone has gotten it separately. I bought the game on GMG and it was included with the game. It's under DLC as "XCOM: Enemy Unknown - DLC1".

Squad sight.

The answer is ALWAYS squad sight.

Think of it this way, squad sight makes it so you're sniper can't be hit if you play him right, he just hangs back, and can ping things where the Xrays can't see him. When he has a shot (and he often will) he'll get to use his full accuracy (With a couple modifications, anything in low cover will die).

With Snap shot
A) You need to keep your sniper on the front lines, where he may get killed.
B) If you move his accuracy isn't really any better than an assault or or a support with a rifle.

Also, if you invest in it, pistols can end up being quite effective (or so I'm told)

I played a few missions now, enjoying it a lot but it hasn't really captured what I liked about the original, especially in the combat, It doesn't feel as free, it feels like it's forcing you to adopt certain way of playing.

I get the feeling that this one really wants you to care for your soldiers, whereas I enjoyed playing the original really recklessly, it's hard to send guys on a suicide mission or out into the open as bait when there are so few of them. I'm also not keen on the classes, it just feels limiting, I don't mind perks for soldiers who consistently use the rocket launcher or sniper rifle but not being able to pick up a fallen comrades weapon in a moment of desperation is an odd choice. also things like having to choose between a grenade or a vest is strange :)

But while it only superficially feels like UFO, I am enjoying it and it feels like it's own game, I definitely wouldn't just have wanted UFO Enemy Unknown with an updated UI, but I do wish it kept more of that freedom to play as you want. This is an early impression however and it could all change once i have put more time into it.

Once you start getting perks and other ways to customize soldiers it really opens up a lot more. Cover becomes less important (depending on armor, skills, etc.). And you just have a lot more strategic options in general. The soldier perk system starts opening up unique combat options that are very cool.

Early on it is very "Gears of War: The Strategy Game," though.

Snapshot is useful in certain circumstances, but it's highly situation compared to squadvision which is better in the vast majority of cases. And if you need a more mobile attacker, there are better classes to use than a snapshot sniper, and upgraded pistols can be a decent substitute if you need to move and attack or overwatch.

garath

It finally happened. I lost a country on my Normal Ironman. Things were going so well too.

Even with 30+ engineers it just takes so long to build satellites and nexus/uplinks. And I have been real constrained on money. I think my Classic playthrough will have me start in Africa for the 30% money bonus immediately.

On the bright side, I have 2 satellites built and 1 being built while I finish my satellite nexus. I'll be able to launch 3 immediately. That should help panic level. Going to finish up plasma research next and then work on the priority research (outsider crystal). Game is moving well!

Still haven't lost any soldiers. My sniper and support just hit max rank. My assault crack duo isn't far behind but they're my tanks so one is usually wounded. I should really build up a second sniper just in case. He's so crucial. I finally trained a rookie sniper. All my rookies so far have been heavy or assault. I only have the one support, and finally a second sniper. Risky!

Zeliard

Also, I've said this a million times but I feel the need to reiterate it :p - give your sniper squad sight, opportunist, damn good ground, and a scope, stick him on high ground (if available) with clear line of sight and habitually put him on Overwatch. He'll punish enemy movement turns like nobody's business, and is particularly devastating against melee enemies who don't take cover like the Chrysalids. He also punishes the enemies' initial movement turn when you first spot them, which is pretty fun.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I don't think that anyone has gotten it separately. I bought the game on GMG and it was included with the game. It's under DLC as "XCOM: Enemy Unknown - DLC1".

Ah, though I believe people who buy it retail will get a code.

Also, I've said this a million times but I feel the need to reiterate it :p - give your sniper squad sight, opportunist, damn good ground, and a scope, stick him on high ground (if available) with clear line of sight and habitually put him on Overwatch. He'll punish enemy movement turns like nobody's business, and is particularly devastating against melee enemies who don't take cover like the Chrysalids. He also punishes the enemies' initial movement turn when you first spot them.

It's deadly when paired with flush too, though giving up rapid fire is a big sacrifice. But that's why you need to run with two assaults.

Snapshot is useful in certain circumstances, but it's highly situation compared to squadvision which is better in the vast majority of cases. And if you need a more mobile attacker, there are better classes to use than a snapshot sniper, and upgrades pistols can be a decent substitute if you need to move and attack or overwatch.

Yeah, I agree overall, but it does hurt in some of those closed off missions to have your squad basically reduced to 5.

In geneneral I'm really loving all the new strategic combat options. Run and gun is awesome. Overwatch is awesome. Suppression is great, etc. I feel like it makes the individual soldier choices a lot deeper than the original game.

Mupod

Even with 30+ engineers it just takes so long to build satellites and nexus/uplinks. And I have been real constrained on money. I think my Classic playthrough will have me start in Africa for the 30% money bonus immediately.

Isn't it only a bonus to your end of the month income? And I think Africa only has 3 member countries, so you'd get less to start with. Assuming it works that way, I'm not sure.

I'm definitely eyeing that bonus now though, I got my 3 satellites on the way for that sweet sweet continental bonus. Should put me over 1300 spacebucks a month (minus expenses of course).

Europe's bonus really is the best imo. You need them workshops up and running fast.

Isn't it only a bonus to your end of the month income? And I think Africa only has 3 member countries, so you'd get less to start with. Assuming it works that way, I'm not sure.

I'm definitely eyeing that bonus now though, I got my 3 satellites on the way for that sweet sweet continental bonus. Should put me over 1300 spacebucks a month (minus expenses of course).

Europe's bonus really is the best imo. You need them workshops up and running fast.

Africa's bonus is more useful later on, and only requires 3 satellites to get, so yeah, it's probably best to go with a different starting base. Engineers are the most important thing early on.

jwhit28

Yeah, I agree overall, but it does hurt in some of those closed off missions tomhave your squad basically reduced to 5.

In geneneral I'm really loving all the new strategic combat options. Run and gun is awesome. Overwatch is awesome. Suppression is great, etc. I feel like it makes the individual soldier choices a lot deeper than the original game.

Yeah run and gun, lightning reflexes, and rapid fire really come in handy when the enemies start letting the grenades fly and you can't relax behind cover. Heavy seems like the most useless class so far. It feels like no matter what the odds say I never have a better than 1/3 chance to hit anything with a shot.

Mupod

Heavy accuracy is killing me. I'm gonna start running with a scope on those guys. I loooove HEAT ammo and suppression though.

Africa's bonus is more useful later on, and only requires 3 satellites to get, so yeah, it's probably best to go with a different starting base. Engineers are the most important thing early on.

I discovered that the hard way. I couldnt make satellites fast enough and had 3 countries pull out after the first month. I restarted and focused exclusively on incresing engineers and getting sattelites early on.

Its been much easier thus far as a result. I'm four months in, satellites everywhere, 1200k+ a month revenue.

I am playing on normal, though. I look forward to classic after I finish.

Yeah run and gun, lightning reflexes, and rapid fire really come in handy when the enemies start letting the grenades fly and you can't relax behind cover. Heavy seems like the most useless class so far. It feels like no matter what the odds say I never have a better than 1/3 chance to hit anything with a shot.

Heavies have a really poor AIM stat. I find their use lies in using rockets to destroy cover/clumps of enemies, and that AOE suppression which can get pretty nasty once you get a bunch of those upgrades.

I agree. I have a colonel heavy and he is still my worse guy. Still, though, there are situations that that rocket really comes in handy. In general, I just use him for suppression fire alot of the time.

Hari Seldon

Heavies have a really poor AIM stat. I find their use lies in using rockets to destroy cover/clumps of enemies, and that AOE suppression which can get pretty nasty once you get a bunch of those upgrades.

I personally like heavies over assault. They spec into getting 2 shots per round, which is awesome. Plus they have the rocket for the oh shit moments. They seem far more versatile than Assault. I pair my heavies with a scope to help out that aim.

garath

Hmmm.. Yes, it is only a bonus to end of the month income. Early game you get about 300/month so it's an extra 100 per month. Later it can get significant. I think I'm up to 800/mo give or take. That'd be a solid 250. That's enough for another 1-2 facilities or a round of weapons.

I'll re-evaluate the europe bonus. I took US for my normal run as I thought the fighters would be more valuable than they are. I've only had 3? UFO missions the entire game so far and I've made do with the base fighter.

Classic needs to be managed well. The extra money early game probably won't be as valuable as the EU bonus. I wish there was a list online somewhere, I can't seem to find it.

Also, mind was just blown. While looking for the country bonus list I found out that proximity bonuses for buildings go VERTICAL as well as horizontal. Dammit! That completely changes how I'd build my base. Ugh. I was working so hard and spending so much early money to get facilities next to each other horizontally. sigh.

Hm, so I'm still on my Normal Ironman I discussed previously and it's going REALLY well.

Well, I'm on the edge of game over (7 countries have quit) but the remaining ones are pretty stable, I just got plasma weapons and two Majors.

I haven't been in dire trouble on a ground mission in about five or six missions and haven't lost anyone in about the same.

I know my death is just around the corner... but I feel slightly optimistic at this moment we might defeat the alien threat.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Once you start getting perks and other ways to customize soldiers it really opens up a lot more.

I'm sure it does, and i am definitely enjoying it as it is, but it really seems geared towards players who wanted to treasure every member of their squad. My style of play with the original was having a core team and then some high explosive carrying meatbags, who I couldn't care less about. that is hard to do with only 4~6 people. :)

yarden24

I love heavy's, I always use a scope on them, and with the right skills, you can do 20 damage a turn, and 40 to machines, in one turn! no one else can deal that much damage

Jintor

I wish I knew when I was already completely boned

I also wish my veterans would stop panicking and shooting friendly civilians in the head. You're vets, vets, stop that

Mupod

Hmmm.. Yes, it is only a bonus to end of the month income. Early game you get about 300/month so it's an extra 100 per month. Later it can get significant. I think I'm up to 800/mo give or take. That'd be a solid 250. That's enough for another 1-2 facilities or a round of weapons.

I'll re-evaluate the europe bonus. I took US for my normal run as I thought the fighters would be more valuable than they are. I've only had 3? UFO missions the entire game so far and I've made do with the base fighter.

Classic needs to be managed well. The extra money early game probably won't be as valuable as the EU bonus. I wish there was a list online somewhere, I can't seem to find it.

Also, mind was just blown. While looking for the country bonus list I found out that proximity bonuses for buildings go VERTICAL as well as horizontal. Dammit! That completely changes how I'd build my base. Ugh. I was working so hard and spending so much early money to get facilities next to each other horizontally. sigh.

Haha yeah my workshops are built in a big square and my uplinks go straight down. I even did a sneaky thing where I connected my two steam generators with regular generators built in between.

The entire purpose of my normal run was to identify good strategies for classic. You for sure absolutely need a good game plan before tackling that.

But yeah, some bonuses are much better later...NA might be nice when you have advanced interceptors in every hangar, but I've been making do with plasma cannons and the aim powerup. It was still the first continent I covered because of their rising panic, Canada and Mexico were the first to reach 4-5 and I had to deal with it. I went for Asia's continental bonus once I felt I had the money and resources to hit up the Foundry and officer school.

I'm sure it does, and i am definitely enjoying it as it is, but it really seems geared towards players who wanted to treasure every member of their squad. My style of play with the original was having a core team and then some high explosive carrying meatbags, who I couldn't care less about. that is hard to do with only 4~6 people. :)

Yeah that style of play definitely isn't much of an option. But the trade off is that the individual choices you make in combat are deeper and more meaningful both because the soldiers gain more individualized tactical options and because you desperately want to avoid loosing them.

Dakota47

Finally got to play. Loving the game. Question though: how do you know when the tutorial has ended? I just failed the escort the UN dude mission (mass panic, squad members started shooting each other, UN dude died).

Top Bottom