• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

I've spent about 8 hours on this game now, and I love it. The only complaint I have so far is that the aliens always spot you as soon as you spot them. Other than that I don't really mind the changes from the original.

inky

That and not being able to pick-up stuff from fallen soldiers are my biggest gripes. Still, the rest of the game is so good I can excuse those little things.

Fake edit: How the heck are you supposed to reanimate a fallen member? I use a medkit to stabilise him, but after that I'm SOL.

You get that later on, when your support reaches Major rank or something like that.

Truant

I'm constantly getting fucked in the strategic view. Everything is orange or worse :(

I have a shitload of satelites and uplinks as well. Feels like I'm playing on impossible.

koryuken

My only sniper (almost max level), nicknamed "Demon".... how fucking badass is that????... has been injured and will be out for 11 days. Fuck, I need you to win man :*(

Derrick01

Banned
Fuck this stupid patch. The game has been very shaky running and it just crashed on me right when I was about to flawlessly complete my first bomb disposal mission.

Just did the raid on the alien base. That was a blast. Did lose one of my guys but he knew what he was doing when he closed on those floaters so that my snipers could get the shot. RIP Cpt. Dundee.

I've had so many great Overwatch moments that I've lost count, especially with my snipers and their Opportunist perk.

I love the Close Combat skill. I had a Chryssalid appear out of nowhere and come charging at my guys got right on top of them when it triggered two of my assaults who both proceeded to shotgun it to the face putting it down.

Geez, I´m having trouble with a lot of the missions on normal difficulty. And love it! :)

Decided to go without ironman, but I´m playing it like that more or less anyway. if a soldier dies, he dies.

Don´t mission action points at all so far. It took a couple of hours to adjust to the interface and the style of it, but it feels natural now.

I know my death is just around the corner... but I feel slightly optimistic at this moment we might defeat the alien threat.

It was just around the corner, Canada panicked and my best Normal Ironman came to a close.

Started a new one, this time with NA as a starting base. (I choose differently each time.)

I literally have lost like two rookies so far and I'm going to
Assault the Alien Base
for the first time ever. About that, is the only way to 'win' the game to do the same series of steps over and over again? I might find it annoying in future play throughs to have to stress the captures over and over again. (Although I might go the opposite way too, but it seems like it'll be annoying to HAVE to capture certain enemies each time.)

Coming up to my second council meeting and no one has left Xcom yet, although I think the meeting after will have some countries weeping.

Still struggling a bit to keep enough Sats in the sky and balancing everything else, but having more fun with each playthrough.

Edit: Can you heal other units other than the one that has the medical kit?

MasLegio

Banned
That and not being able to pick-up stuff from fallen soldiers are my biggest gripes. Still, the rest of the game is so good I can excuse those little things.

Fake edit: How the heck are you supposed to reanimate a fallen member? I use a medkit to stabilise him, but after that I'm SOL.
Biggest gripes so far

I cannot put a grenade in sidearm slot.
Reloading takes up the a whole turn if you do it as a first movement. (This surely must be a gameplay design error that will be patched, right?)
In mission launch screen I cannot select soldiers in PSI training to de-equip their items. I have to exit mission and go to soldier roll in barracks and there de-equip them to make items available on mission screen.

Really enjoying the game so far. Not doing too well though, i didn't upgrade my armour or weapons enough and which was stupid of me. Got a few small problems though, mainly the shooting through walls and things is kinda silly, and i don't like that there aren't really different accents you can choose.

How do i lower the panic rate? I know satelites and doing missions for that area lower it, but how can i get it lower without specifically being given a mission there? It's annoying to see that a country is close to backing out and there being nothing i can do about it.

MasLegio

Banned
You must have encountered an Etheral before to have a hyper wave decoder don't you? Anyways, killing/capturing them is way easier with SHIVs so maybe try it if you have one.
Pretty sure I have not encountered them yet. I have just started producing SHIVs. Might take the risk. Seems the reward might be high enough to risk my men.

Playing on ironman makes these decisions hard to take.

FStop7

Banned
After numerous early game beatdowns in Classic ironman I gave in and switched to Normal ironman. Now I'm much further along in the game and it feels way too easy.

I think I might switch back to Classic except no Ironman.

I wish there were a way to disable those dumb alien 'intros'.

Pretty sure if you turn off dramatic videos those go away, I'm getting ready to turn them off myself after ~12 hours of the game, kill cams are cool but the subsequent loading from the 'new creatures' is taking a toll on my steely determination.

Noaloha

Reloading takes up the a whole turn if you do it as a first movement. (This surely must be a gameplay design error that will be patched, right?

I think it's intentionally designed that way, even though it's a little leaky game-logic wise, since you can use one action segment to move, then the second action segment to reload. With movement though, I can't think of a situation where reloading -> movement would be any different to movement -> reloading.

With that in mind, where the devs are okay with combining reloading your gun with movement, I think the intention is to make it impossible to reload and fire/use items on the same turn. And to be honest, from a 'game rules' perspective, I can see that being perfectly valid in order to deny players turtling up in a spot and side-stepping the obviously-very-deliberate reload penalty every four turns or so.

EDIT:
Pretty sure if you turn off dramatic videos those go away, I'm getting ready to turn them off myself after ~12 hours of the game, kill cams are cool but the subsequent loading from the 'new creatures' is taking a toll on my steely determination.
I've disabled all the cinematic cams, third-person perspective etc. Didn't like them since they appeared to be based on your dice roll, thus revealing hit/miss prior to the actual shot.

I still get alien reveal cinemas. I kinda like them. Especially the 'Thin Man is angry!' one.

So why does it seem like my heavies miss literally every fucking shot? It's driving me nuts.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something but I largely wrote off my heavies. My heavy that had been with me for something like 15 missions died last night and I just kinda shrugged it off since I didn't plan on using him anymore anyways. They have the rocket launcher but the amount they miss doesn't make up for the used up squad slot.

Zeliard

So why does it seem like my heavies miss literally every fucking shot? It's driving me nuts.

Heavies have the lowest base aim stat of all the classes. I give all of mine scopes for that reason. I give basically everyone except Supports scopes, actually.

This is near the top of my wish list for XCOM 2. There should be some sort of high risk mission that lets you win back a nation to the XCOM project.

Yeah that would be neat.

Noaloha

I'm think that the (assumed narrative) reason you can't get Nations back in the project might be kinda impossible to remedy. I'm pretty sure that the authorities in those countries aren't pulling out of XCOM simply because they're dismayed at how you've handled panic levels. It's indicative of something a little more sinister.

EDIT: I like running a Heavy with Holo-targeting, especially if I'm training Redshirts up.

Speaking of which, does anyone else change the colour of rookies to red?

I got my whole XCOM division colour coded, yo. Support: sanitary white, Assault: attention yellow, Heavy: miss-a-lot blue, Sniper: ravishing purple, Rookie: exit-sign red.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Man oh man am I terrible at this game...

Pretty much ruin my entire classic ironman run on the first ufo mission. That's literally mission no 3.

Classic run #2 died in its infancy, barely managed to get the operation up and running.

Danj

OK, here's a stupid question, if I have soldiers who are down but not dead (i.e. they're going to bleed out in X turns or whatever) what do I need in order to be able to save them? I'm mostly losing grunts but I did lose my sniper dude which sucked.

OK, here's a stupid question, if I have soldiers who are down but not dead (i.e. they're going to bleed out in X turns or whatever) what do I need in order to be able to save them? I'm mostly losing grunts but I did lose my sniper dude which sucked.

Use a medkit to stabilize them.

epmode

Build a medkit in Engineering, equip it on a troop, Stabilize.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of which, does anyone else change the colour of rookies to red?

I got my whole XCOM division colour coded, yo. Support: sanitary white, Assault: attention yellow, Heavy: miss-a-lot blue, Sniper: ravishing purple, Rookie: exit-sign red.

I had my squads colour coded, but I didn't think to make my rookies red. I had my heavies in red, snipers in green, support in yellow and assaults in blue. Also heavies and assaults had helmets while snipers and supports did not.

daw840

God I just played the demo and it makes me all warm and fuzzy. I can't wait to pick this up. Are there any differences between the 360 version and the PC version gameplay wise?

Oppo

I've spent about 8 hours on this game now, and I love it. The only complaint I have so far is that the aliens always spot you as soon as you spot them. Other than that I don't really mind the changes from the original.

you know what, it's not true. well at least a tiny percentage of the time. I have in fact got the drop on aliens a handful of times now (out of two dozen or so missions). put my sniper up high and spotted them, they didn't do their reveal animation/scurry. put a rocket right into a nest of chrysalis that way, which was deeply satisfying.

edit - ah yes maybe I was using the sensor also. those things are super handy.

Just played and got my whole team killed lol. It was rather cheap IMO since I didn't know that and they don't tell you that
the aliens can your turn your team members into zombies and make them attack you! 3 of my team turned on me and that was that lol

Hambone

I'm stealing the "red shirt" idea for rookies! Love it. I don't even name them now until they make SQ.

Nothing like making Private Whats-His-Name scout out the fog of war....well, I'm sure he's not too happy about it. If he\she gets promoted to SQ he\she will get the team uniform (number 29) and a personalized name.

Ketch

I gotta say that normal is definitely starting to bring the heat. Definitely starting to see aliens who are running into me, instead of me running into them. The little alien noise indicator thing luring me into a trap... enemies who are close by to the right not making noise, while enemies far away to left are, which ends up in me being surrounded all of a sudden. 2 and 3 front battles going on... trying to tactically retreat, loosing dudes left and right, in normal... after having only lost 1 or 2 dudes the whole game.

Also, people complaining about the enemies free action when you discover them is doing it wrong... it's really a free overwatch shot everytime you run into someone, you just have to set it up right -every -single -turn.

So the Archangel Armor only uses fuel on movement? It seems like you can
just shoot your sniper straight up in the air on the first turn and have great coverage of most maps.
Reloading takes up the a whole turn if you do it as a first movement. (This surely must be a gameplay design error that will be patched, right?)
? You can't move after taking a shot either (without abilities). Just move once and then reload.
In mission launch screen I cannot select soldiers in PSI training to de-equip their items. I have to exit mission and go to soldier roll in barracks and there de-equip them to make items available on mission screen.
Yeah, finding this out was a bummer. It should act the same as them being wounded.

FStop7

Banned
Heroic move of the day from yesterday:

It was my first mission since completing alien containment and arc throwers. I needed to capture a living sectoid. At the very end of the mission my squad was mostly OK and we had the last alien, a sectoid, cornered inside of a small building. The sectoid was pressed against the wall next to the front door. There was a second entrance directly behind it. I could have tossed a grenade into the room and ended the mission but I wanted that sectoid alive. The arc thrower was in the hands of a rookie and I knew he'd get killed if I sent him in since the sectoid was in overwatch. I needed a volunteer to rush in the front door and draw fire so the rookie could approach from behind and capture the sectoid with the arc thrower.

My heavy, 'Big Momma' (that's the nickname the game gave her, so awesome) bravely volunteered. She charged through the front door and took three hits at near point blank range, leaving her so wounded that she required 17 days to heal. But because of her bravery my rookie was able to nab that little gray bastard alive.

Would have made it through the base unscathed if I wasn't so impatient. 5 months into the game and I still haven't captured a thin man. I sent my assault up with a dash and 3 Chryssalid's appear to surround him.

God I just played the demo and it makes me all warm and fuzzy. I can't wait to pick this up. Are there any differences between the 360 version and the PC version gameplay wise?

No, but the PC version you can tweak the FMV to be in 1080p. I guess that's something.

Top Bottom