• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Played couple of Multiplayer matches. God damn the controls and the camera are bad

They can definitely be annoying at times. I was just playing SP and could not get the grenade to go where I want at all! The mouse just kept moving all over the place and the screen kept rotating...really annoying then I was in a ship and every move kept changing the view to the outside of the ship...I was getting super annoyed.

Noaloha

I hope Firaxis look into making the Squad Select prep screen *much* more user-friendly. Not a fan of having to go back to the Hangar to retrieve a Medkit, etc.

At the very least, the Hangar functionality should be directly accessible from that prep screen, certainly the 'in soldier' direct cycle-through buttons.

Zeliard

I hope Firaxis look into making the Squad Select prep screen *much* more user-friendly. Not a fan of having to go back to the Hangar to retrieve a Medkit, etc.

At the very least, the Hangar functionality should be directly accessible from that prep screen, certainly the 'in soldier' direct cycle-through buttons.

One annoying thing is that you can't switch between soldiers in the loadout screen when you are setting up for a mission after a scan. You have to go back to the Barracks menu to do that, which is sort of incomprehensible.

Dismiss a squadmember bring the one you want to unequip in?

Although from my playing I don't have to unequip people, maybe that's because they are wounded so it automatically takes it off?

You can just bring the unit with the medkit in on the Squad Select screen and edit their loadout there, and then bring the unit you want to use back in and give them the medkit. But yeah, it could be a lot better.

FStop7

Banned

I wish they'd have kept it like the original in that you can stock the Sky Ranger with weapons and ammo. Reminds me of the drop ship from Aliens. I would prefer keeping the SR stocked and having custom loadout templates for different classes and mission types.

inky

I just want an easier way to unequip all items from a soldier. Plenty of times I just want to build my team from scratch and it becomes more of a hassle than it ought to be.

Magilla

Banned
Damn I need to go home and play NOW! I ended last night low on funds, but a large UFO made the mistake of landing and being detected near my base. I'm going to raid that sucker for every last dollar. I'm short a couple vets that are in psi training, but I'm confident my squadie's can mop up......

Noaloha

One annoying thing is that you can't switch between soldiers in the loadout screen when you are setting up for a mission after a scan. You have to go back to the Barracks menu to do that, which is sort of incomprehensible.

Well, you sort of can, just like you sort of can sort of juggle your equipment. It just requires you to clear slots and then bring someone in, which is what makes hunting for that Arc-Thrower so annoying from that screen. Seeing a soldier's equip is gated behind three or four selections that you have to repeat for each soldier. Very clunky.

Also I said Hangar instead of Barracks. Yay brain.

EDIT: beaten! and yeah, wounded soldiers get stripped. I won't say that's nice, because it's just common sense -- not a design decision to celebrate, but certainly one that would deserve complaint if it wasn't implemented.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
XCOM has been disbanded for the third time... and all it took was trying to capture a floater instead of sending a rocket. My soldier failed to stunt him, and then his other alien friends took out my entire crack team, leaving me only with worthless recruits. After that everything snowballed to fuck. I had to ignore one terror mission and at least a couple of super-hard abductions due their greenness, costing me the support of some critical members and dooming the initiative.

It's hard to believe how a poor decission can fuck you in the ass so bad. Situations like this one would be easier to avoid with a bigger number of troops by default.

Zeliard

Well, you sort of can, just like you sort of can sort of juggle your equipment. It just requires you to clear slots and then bring someone in, which is what makes hunting for that Arc-Thrower so annoying from that screen. Seeing a soldier's equip is gated behind three or four selections that you have to repeat for each soldier. Very clunky.

In the Barracks you have the arrows to switch between soldiers in their loadout screens, which is beneficial.

For whatever reason, the mission screen doesn't have that. You can only look at loadouts individually there, so it's ultimately easier to just exit out completely and go back to the Barracks screen so you're able to tab between loadouts. It's confounding.

Zeliard

I love the fact that many people here are choosing rookies for the arc thrower :)

I get a chuckle out of it. Imagine how those poor bastards must feel.

"Alright tenderfoot, you're tasked with getting within smelling distance of a Muton and bringing him back alive. Any questions? Chin up, soldier."

While i really enjoy the game, i hope it gets a sequel or some sort of DLC to improve a few things. It would be nice if you could choose the nationality of your soldiers, and if there was a variety of different accents. Melee attacks would also be nice, several times i've seen shots from right next to an enemy miss.

Hey guys remember this

xcom-1024x708.jpg

Wonder what's going on with that project

Noaloha

Is there a better stun weapon than the arc thrower?

You can make the equivalent of an Arc Thrower+1 through the Foundry base upgrade.

On the topic of Redshirts being put on stun duty (or UFO breach duty, or general everyday scouting duty, or sacrificial lamb duty), what can I say -- the XCOM barracks run one hell of a hazing ritual.

Hambone

Nope. You can make it easier if you use a user a snipers disabling shot, a heavy supressing and smoke grenades to lock something down, but you still need to get withing smashing range to do it.

I keep forgetting that I have smoke grenades. I'll use them for this. Good advice, thanks man.

On the topic of Redshirts being put on stun duty (or UFO breach duty, or general everyday scouting duty, or sacrificial lamb duty), what can I say -- the XCOM barracks run one hell of a hazing ritual.

Remember when that video got leaked? It was one hell of a PR nightmare. And we lost France. Goddamn Assange.

Zeliard

I love those eager, running footsteps you hear when recruiting new soldiers. They have no idea what they're in for.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I like how the tension of breaching a door in this game is way different in mechanics than the original, yet way similar in the feeling and tension.

It's pretty fun putting 3 guys behind the door on overwatch, opening the door, aggroing the aliens, and then having them get obliterated on their free move. With a run and gun assault to mop up the stray.

Despera

Banned
Assaults are red, supports are blue, heavies are dark green, and snipers are angelic white.

Rookies are hot pink.
For me, Assaults are blue, Supports are pink, heavies are red and snipers are white. And rookies don't get a name/color until they're a squaddie.

I'm on a Classic+Ironman run that's gonna go to shit any time now. Current in-game date is May 15th and I can tell that there's no point in continuing. I'll probably restart the game and go with Classic without ironman. Shit is too brutal, especially for an XCOM noob such as myself.

I like how the tension of breaching a door in this game is way different in mechanics than the original, yet way similar in the feeling and tension.

It's pretty fun putting 3 guys behind the door on overwatch, opening the door, aggroing the aliens, and then having them get obliterated on their free move. With a run and gun assault to mop up the stray.
Yep. Only problem is when you want to capture a live alien specimen. That's when you reconsider this tactic. I usually order 2 soldiers to switch to their pistol and then Overwatch, which wouldn't kill the target, but would weaken it enough so the Arc Thrower would have a higher chance of stunning it.

Dinosur

Damn I need to go home and play NOW! I ended last night low on funds, but a large UFO made the mistake of landing and being detected near my base. I'm going to raid that sucker for every last dollar. I'm short a couple vets that are in psi training, but I'm confident my squadie's can mop up......

Wait, is there a way to physically loot stuff?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

I stacked up on the door like that and the muton on the other side threw a freakin grenade through it. Blew the whole damn wall away and almost killed half my team!

Dinosur

No he's just talking about the stuff you get from UFOs once the mission ends.

Oh ok, phew. Thanks.

I finally have a good game going after starting over four times in 10 hours on launch day. Thought I was going to have to hit reboot again when I got home.

Are Shotguns worth using? I haven't tried them yet.

Once I got 5/6 squadmates, I always send out at least two Assaults.

*Only playing on Normal Ironman

edit: Now Heavys, that is a class I cannot find a use for outside of sporadic needs for suppression.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone else feeling like this is more Bioware level of "choice" than a complex strategy game?

By that, I mean, it's pretty freaking hard to make bad decisions. When you are limited to so few in the first place, and then some seem completely preposterous to consider (yeah, I'll build med kits that no one can use which will prevent me from being able to build X facility).

Though the combat is certainly simplified, I feel though it's still fairly rich and well executed. It's just that everything around the combat makes it seem so meaningless. Akin to just another encounter in Dragon Age.

I feel like I'm playing a game of whack-a-mole rather than something even as basic as Civ V.

Zeliard

Anyone else feeling like this is more Bioware level of "choice" than a complex strategy game?

By that, I mean, it's pretty freaking hard to make bad decisions. When you are limited to so few in the first place, and then some seem completely preposterous to consider (yeah, I'll build med kits that no one can use which will prevent me from being able to build X facility).

There are countless ways to make poor decisions and ruin your playthrough in a way that'll make it tough to regain a foothold.

mkenyon

Banned
Sure, poor decisions. I'm talking about the difference between making a great decision and a so-so decision that means the end of the game. The total number of decisions in a given moment is so limited. Not only that, but there are so FEW of them that truly matter enough to affect your playthough.

Like, you can make a decision to ignore someone that you shouldn't. But it's so painfully obvious that it almost doesn't count.

Research, similarly, seems like it has three (not literally) paths that all lead back to the same point.

FtHTiny

Sure, poor decisions. I'm talking about the difference between making a great decision and a so-so decision that means the end of the game. The total number of decisions in a given moment is so limited. Not only that, but there are so FEW of them that truly matter enough to affect your playthough.

Like, you can make a decision to ignore someone that you shouldn't. But it's so painfully obvious that it almost doesn't count.

Research, similarly, seems like it has three (not literally) paths that all lead back to the same point.

Most of the things are based on the way you play and has more depth than you see if you progress without taking risks.

For Example if you capture the first muton you encounter you can skip laserweapon research and go straigt plasma.

Volodja

Well, this game sure is a buggy mess.
I've met so many different bugs, some just stupid and maybe funny, but some absolutely gamebreaking.

Also, Classic Ironman kicked my ass, mainly on the geoscape side of things, but Normal is far too easy as far as the missions go.

Zeliard

What difficulty are you playing on? On Classic, money is quite limited for a large part of the game and panic can rise very quickly, and you're constantly having to juggle between short-term and long-term benefits.

The strategy layer isn't nearly as limited as you're making it out to be. It's probably where most people get boned in their playthroughs, not because of blatantly dumb decisions, but because you have to maintain proper balance between a number of things for a long period of time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yep. Only problem is when you want to capture a live alien specimen. That's when you reconsider this tactic.

I already caught all there is to catch. Gotta catch 'em all! My pokedex is full so now I'm free to turn them into wall stains.

It seems rather easy to catch stuff via suppression. When I suppress them, and sneak the stunner up close, as long as the stunner is in cover, the suppressed alien doesn't do anything that turn.

I stacked up on the door like that and the muton on the other side threw a freakin grenade through it. Blew the whole damn wall away and almost killed half my team!

Hm, that shouldn't happen. You need to do it on the initial aggro phase so that they run away and you shoot em in the back, the honorable way.

Mesoian

Hey guys remember this

Wonder what's going on with that project

Latest rumblings, it's turning into a 3rd person shooter for XBLA and PSN. In other words, it's being sent to die.

Too bad too, it seemed cool. Couldn't have been really interesting if they just took the XCOM name off it.

Top Bottom