• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

CoolS

KarmaCow said:
Played a bunch yesterday and I'm going to do the same today. There are a few small issues I have but this game does so much right. Though I think I'm way over leveled because I spent like 3 exclusively hours doing quests. I'm level 22 and about to go into
the refugee camp on Bionis' Leg
. I'm holding off because there is a time quests that involves killing a monster during a thunderstorm but even when it's raining I can't find the monster.

Also, is there some way to make your allies use certain attacks? Reyn is pretty good about following up on my attacks but I want something more reliable.

Yeah you are quite a bit overleveled, especially when you do all the quests in the leg first before moving on witht the story. Though that's not uncommon if you go by this thread.

For the timed quests: you will be specifically told when timed quests can't be done anymore, so don't worry about it. I am 4 or 5 areas afte yours and I can still do all the quests just fine:) That particular quest, you have to make sure it is actually a thunderstorm and not just rain. Then you can find the mob
on the island in the middle of the lake

Unfortunately you can't choose your parties attacks, outside of chain attacks obviously.

KarmaCow said:
Played a bunch yesterday and I'm going to do the same today. There are a few small issues I have but this game does so much right. Though I think I'm way over leveled because I spent like 3 exclusively hours doing quests. I'm level 22 and about to go into
the refugee camp on Bionis' Leg
. I'm holding off because there is a time quests that involves killing a monster during a thunderstorm but even when it's raining I can't find the monster.

Also, is there some way to make your allies use certain attacks? Reyn is pretty good about following up on my attacks but I want something more reliable.

Don't worry about the timed quest. At
the camp
you will get a bunch of quests that are also timed but it takes a long time before you can't do them anymore and you get a warning before it happens. And the only way I know of to give commands to your allies is during a chain attack or by warning them after a vision.

Edit: location of the monster you're looking for:
during a thunderstorm (not just rain!) he's on the island in the middle of the big lake

pgtl_10 said:
how are Xenoblade sales?
From reading this thread it sounds like online places are low on stock and actual stores does not seem much better. I'm assuming the Italian version being released a few weeks later should have been an omen of stock issues.

UK charts using the individual formats charts, it charted third behind the unstoppable Wii Zumba Fitness and Ocarina of Time 3D (post 3DS price drop, GAME had a special bundle with that and a trade-in bonus). When using all formats it lies 7th. In comparison Monster Hunter Tri debuted at 5th in both.

I have to say this game really has the whole, just one more landmark thing going for it. For instance I got to a new area and thought, this is a good place to stop but lets have a peek. Saw an equipment shop so spent 10 minutes getting new equipment for my party. Then I decided to make some gemstones (and discovered the
mega heat
effect which
gives you 2 of that gem, at the same level regular heat does
) and then went and explored the area, the enemy levels are about
high 40s, early 50s
so from that you might deduce the area is
Sword Valley
. Before I knew it an hour has passed.

I'm not sure how best to handle area spoilers. I guess enemy levels is a good metric but there can be some overlap between places (i.e. late one location=early next location so end up spoiling that).

Finally, once again, the sidequest bug has bit me. Especilly now that I looked up a certain quest in the military district of Colony 9 which two options (
the sword or shield one
) and found that
both options are "bad" (wiki says the reputation increases but I seem to get a decrase)
but you must complete the quest to get another quest very late into the game which I think has the reward of
a new skill tree for Shulk

KarmaCow

Oh wow thanks, thought the quests timer was shorter than that.

And yea I spent 3 hours in Colony 9 looking for the Materials 1 quest because I had 2-4 already. Then I just ended up finding new quests and it snowballed from there. I guess I'll just skip the quests with shitty rewards for now.

Shame there is no way to get your allies to use attacks outside of chains though I seem to be getting chain attacks fairly often.

Theres a difference between rain and thunderstorm in the game? Ugh, that's a pain.

sigh, I really have to tone down on the side-questing, the main quest is just too easy with everything lower lvl then you :( Guess I'll only do the quests that don't give an xp reward from now on...

herod

Starwolf_UK said:
UK charts using the individual formats charts, it charted third behind the unstoppable Wii Zumba Fitness and Ocarina of Time 3D (post 3DS price drop, GAME had a special bundle with that and a trade-in bonus).

No, they do not put 3DS sales in the Wii chart.

It was third behind Zumba and Just Dance 2.

Mojojo

CoolS said:
That particular quest, you have to make sure it is actually a thunderstorm and not just rain. Then you can find the mob
on the island in the middle of the lake

Unfortunately you can't choose your parties attacks, outside of chain attacks obviously.
Speaking of weather patterns, I got a quest requiring to be at a location on a hot day... I never noticed there was such a weather effect, how can you spot that? Or does it mean the hottest hours of the day on normal weather (12pm-3pm)?

Ledsen

So I have two Leg Uniques I can't find (for quests...) one is supposed to be at Sky Stage, the other one is Abnormal Something (frog-thing) near the lake. Also I just moved on (story-wise) from the leg and I'm lvl 25... it's not very hard, let's put it like that!

wrowa

herod said:

It was third behind Zumba and Just Dance 2.
No, it was third behind Zumba and OoT 3D. It's not a plattform chart, it's a chart sorted by the amount of sold units (while the "normal" one is sorted by the price of the software).

Gvaz

Banned
Antagon said:
You should read the thread. Literally the only negative impression I've read here had to do with the lack of 4:3 support which made the text unreadable on an older tv.
My complaint so far is you have to remove the gems manually when you want to transfer them to gear, instead of it being automatic.

The other complaint is having to search around the map for that one person that keeps moving around to do a quest.

Alrus

Gvaz said:
My complaint so far is you have to remove the gems manually when you want to transfer them to gear, instead of it being automatic.

You don't have to bother with that, you can reequip a gem even if it's on another gear, the game will just tell you it's on another piece of equipment and ask you if you want to switch it.

Schlomo

Mojojo said:
Speaking of weather patterns, I got a quest requiring to be at a location on a hot day... I never noticed there was such a weather effect, how can you spot that? Or does it mean the hottest hours of the day on normal weather (12pm-3pm)?

It's an effect that only exists in that one location. Watch out for lots of steam in the air.

MicH

Just read about a bunch of other people who are missing their GAME UK orders. Some have waited more than 20 days. This is very unusual for GAME. Does anyone have a clue to what might be wrong? GAMEs fault? Royal Mail?

Just a heads up to other GAFfers who are waiting for their games from GAME.

KarmaCow

Alrus said:
You don't have to bother with that, you can reequip a gem even if it's on another gear, the game will just tell you it's on another piece of equipment and ask you if you want to switch it.

The equipped icon is also darkened if it's on another piece of equipment. I don't know what happens when you sell equipment with gems in them though.

mrpeabody said:
e5fu4k.png

:(

Why do they just straight out cancel it instead of putting you on the waiting list for when the new shipment arrives??

Ledsen said:
So I have two Leg Uniques I can't find (for quests...) one is supposed to be at Sky Stage, the other one is Abnormal Something (frog-thing) near the lake. Also I just moved on (story-wise) from the leg and I'm lvl 25... it's not very hard, let's put it like that!
I ended up skipping those two completely* and forced the trigger which expires that lot of timed quests (it opens up a big sidequest). Besides its more important to do the quests for the people in that area for reputation boosting (before triggering the expiration).

I found out boosted reputation adds items for trade with NPCs of that batch of people which is always nice.

*-I might fight them later for affinity coin purposes though...if I can find them.

herod said:
Individual formats chart (here) is the not the same thing as *system format* charts.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Where is Batubatu
hiding the second time on the leg? High above something.

Antagon

KarmaCow said:
The equipped icon is also darkened if it's on another piece of equipment. I don't know what happens when you sell equipment with gems in them though.

It asks if you want to remove the gems before selling.

Alrus

The named monster in sky stage is not really in sky stage, it roams around that part and the hill/ramp near the lake.

KarmaCow said:

Game tells you the gems were removed. They're not sold if you don't specifically want them to be.

McNum said:
Oh, the Danish Nintendo news mail has a bit of fun at you guys' expense. A rough translation:

Cheeky little NoE/Bergsala Denmark.

I've played a little more, and I just love that Sharla is
a shipper. I half wonder if she's got a portmanteau name for Shulk/Melia yet. "Shelia"?
Also, *MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS!*
it's going to be intersting to see what's up with Fiora. If that is her, and not just a body snatcher.
*MAJOR SPOILERS END!*

Also, how do you give gifts in the game? I saw there was an achievement for it, but I have no idea on how to do it.

This is the official Nintendo Newsletter? Or just some fansite?

McNum

Mockingbird said:
This is the official Nintendo Newsletter? Or just some fansite?
That is from the official Nintendo newsletter from Nintendo.dk. (Oh, look what game has top billing on that site!) I just translated it from Danish to English. Bergsala is the company handling distribution and PR for Nintendo in the Scandinavian countries.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toma said:
Where is Batubatu

Additionally: Is there any way to make it rain? Just jumping from midnight to midnight doesnt do anything so far.

herod

Starwolf_UK said:
Individual formats chart (here) is the not the same thing as *system format* charts.

Yeah sorry, I need more caffeine. I was also wrong anyway :)

In my defence, I don't see the point of the individual formats chart and never look at it. Normally reserved for HD twins sales arguments, I don't really see it to be of much relevance in this instance.

Ledsen

Toma said:
Where is Batubatu

You know where Zax Guidepost is? Upper level of the Leg, upper left of the map. Go east from there, following the border of the map, and very soon you'll come upon a rising slope path(light grey on the map). Just follow it a short distance to find the little guy. If you check the quest log, it basically tells you this :)

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Toma said:
Additionally: Is there any way to make it rain? Just jumping from midnight to midnight doesnt do anything so far.

I believe that jumping 24 hours does not do anything, as the game reads that as "no time passed". Instead, try skipping 12 hours at a time. At least that works for me.

Toma

Ledsen said:
You know where Zax Guidepost is? Upper level of the Leg, upper left of the map. Go east from there, following the border of the map, and very soon you'll come upon a rising slope (light grey on the map). Just follow it a short distance to find the little guy. If you check the quest log, it basically tells you this :)

Thanks, I just couldnt find the area mentioned in the quest log (even looking on the map) =/

Toma

Dr. Ecco said:
I believe that jumping 24 hours does not do anything, as the game reads that as "no time passed". Instead, try skipping 12 hours at a time. At least that works for me.

That helped, thanks.

Any advice on Skills and/or Arts builds? I'm trying to level each tree in turns (like level 1 in all trees, than level 2 for all trees and so on) for all characters. Or should I go and max a tree first than another one and so on?

Also are there any Arts that I should concentrate on?

(Am on my way to Colony 6 right now and am level 19 if that makes any difference)

Dunbar

Ordered from ASDA on Monday, my copy shipped this morning. Says 10-15 days delivery time, please wait 20 working days until calling to check on order.

Ledsen

Question: Is there any reason not to sell equipment, like sidequests that require them or something? I haven't sold ANYTHING since I started the game (lvl 25 now) and it's starting to be a bit of a pain when looking through everything :D

TommyT

chaosblade said:
...I know you post in the PC hardware thread but I don't remember what your specs are.
My PC should be able to handle it. 4.4Ghz i5 2500k. Thanks!

MetatronM said:
Yes, for the Dolphin question (mainly backed up, unless you have one of the like 5 Hitachi drives that is capable of reading Wii discs).

As for the Wii, getting imports to work on it now is super simple and requires nothing more than an SD card and about 10 minutes of your time. There is a guide for it on the first page, I believe.

The latter seems like the way to go if it's just that easy.

Varion

BlazingDarkness said:
Where can I find the Nopon Sage? The quest is pretty vague
Might've already found it but:
http://i.imgur.com/nTuZG.jpg
Basically you warp to the warp point above here (on the path with all the bonfires and thunder dinosaurs), head down on the highest path possible so you end up able to walk on the branches where all those birds are, then head through a passage on a slightly lower level to the right of where those birds are (if you're looking at it so they're all on your left), then you'll come out in an open area with a wind mining point. He's on there near the cliff's edge. Pretty sure you can call him any time, although his entry in the affinity charts says midday - 3pm.

And this was totally worth checking as he has a quest for me. Woo.

Ledsen said:
Question: Is there any reason not to sell equipment, like sidequests that require them or something? I haven't sold ANYTHING since I started the game (lvl 25 now) and it's starting to be a bit of a pain when looking through everything :D
Don't believe so, I certainly haven't ran into any. I'd just sell them.

After reading the Joystiq article about importing the game and modding the Wii yourself, it really doesnt seem that hard. Have any non-tech GAF people here modded it without any problems? if it's not that difficult and theres little room for serious error I might just do it tonight and say fuck paying someone to do it.

Dunbar

JumpingTheGun said:
After reading the Joystiq article about importing the game and modding the Wii yourself, it really doesnt seem that hard. Have any non-tech GAF people here modded it without any problems? if it's not that difficult and theres little room for serious error I might just do it tonight and say fuck paying someone to do it.
I had never modded anything in my life and I had it set up in 15 minutes. I have a launch Wii and used a spare 2 GB SD card I had lying around. About as pain-free as it could be.

SpokkX

Randy said:
This is seriously one of the best games I've ever played. (And I've played many.)

I agree. I had all but given up jrpgs after ff13.

This game fixes game design issues i was not ever aware other games had, until now.

Also the translation and voice acting is top quality.

Frankly I am chocked that this game is not released in the US

Melhisedek said:
Any advice on Skills and/or Arts builds? I'm trying to level each tree in turns (like level 1 in all trees, than level 2 for all trees and so on) for all characters. Or should I go and max a tree first than another one and so on?
For skills go for the ones you think are most useful. If you don't bother with gem crafting Shulks boost chance of fever isn't much good for instance but if you do it a lot it should be your first port of call. Personally, one skill I'm particularly fond of is Shulks equipment weight -5 skill. This is basically Agility +5 to anyone you link it to (if it becomes obselete you can remove the link and get the coins back too).

Ones which heal with encouragement are good for tough battles (as these tend to be when encouragement comes into play).

With most characters I focus on getting one skill, usually deep in a tree then switching trees to get other skills (as I find some of the 3500 SP skills to be not worth their time or not worth as much as other skills say 1000 SP into a different tree). In a way sort of build a priority list in your mind. Also base this one experiance and you might even want to base it on links (as in this skill would be great on this another/all character) but check the affinity and skill shape makes that viable or not.

Artes are an odd one as you never know what new ones you'll get which might change what you invest in. I also found early on in the game I lacked the money to buy intermediate levels for most so that also focuses things and you should try and focus your efforts on a few skills at a time and build your battle tactics round them (as they'll be most damaging/have faster cooldown).

Gvaz said:
Where the hell do I check affinity? What are the affinity levels?
On your menu, next to the quest list, you can check the affinity
Their is affinity for each area/towns and affinity between your party members, for the areas you can get upto Five stars, and for party members it's represented by a smiley, the happier the smiley the higher the affinity

Kaizer

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
Yeah I modded mine with the LetterBomb technique, I was scared as hell when doing it, but it was over before it even began. It's really quick & painless, it'll take you under 10 minutes.

JumpingTheGun said:

Took me four days of thirty minutes at a time. (wife and daughter aggro)

I found a PAL version of Mario Party for the Wii at a local trade in store that has tonnes of different types of used games.

I tried ripping Monster Hunter Tri but never seemed to do it right but...I finally figured it all out.

Easier than I had expected.

The Gaf Homebrew wiki helped tonnes. Really...the only time I fucked up was when I didn't read the instructions as carefully as I should have.

Anyway...back to the PAL version of Mario Party. Works fine. So now I know when Xenoblade shows up...it works.

With all that said...fuckin' Nintendo of America. This whole situation is so...so stupid.

Top Bottom