• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

wrowa

DMPrince said:
unless it got lost. he's just frustrated seeing how he lives in texas. along with aeana who lives not too far in another city get hers. and then you hear about how other people that got shipped out tuesday morning last week get theirs before him in other states.

Mine is still coming i guess too. i too bought it the same place where aeana got hers and both ours shipped the same day (last monday morning) and she got hers already. Can't blame RPGCrazied for going crazy.
But there's no reason to assume that it's lost. The date when other people got their game also isn't anything to go by. It's pretty much random, it always is. The game wasn't even shipped two weeks ago, you can start to get worried if it hasn't arrived after three weeks.

Ledsen said:
Quick Q about skill linking: when you press the minus button on the skill tree screen, you come to the skill link screen. Here, you can basically equip a number of your team mates skills, correct? What decides how many of their skills you can equip?

1. Yes.
2. The number of slots available to be linked is determined by affinity between the two characters. Each skill requires a number of affinity coins to be equipped.

JumpingTheGun said:
The Joystiq site where it gives the instructions on modding to play Xeno doesnt say anything about getting the Gecko or any othe app that allows the play of import discs. Should I assume with the instructions provided that I wont need it?

Have you read the official GAF Wiki? It gives an overview of the various region-free methods. Joystiq made things a bit too confusing, in my opinion.

Effect

Are there any other games currently out that are remotely similar to Xenoblade in design? Console or even on the PC?

I know people have mentioned Final Fantasy 12 when discussing the game but never finished 12 and its been so long I don't really remember anything about it. If I can't get the game timely and without spending a crazy amount of money might as well as go for something similar.

meppi

Effect said:
If I can't get the game timely and without spending a crazy amount of money might as well as go for something similar.
Again, try ordering from shop to.net
It shouldn't take long before you have it in your hands. Even less if you take the premium delivery option.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
From the little I played, Dragon Quest IX has similar pacing with its loads of side quests, items, crafting, visible equipment changes, enemies roaming the map and either being passive, aggressive if you get close, or running away if you're overlevelled, etc. But it's very different in other ways such as the setting, the combat system which is turn based, and the way the world is portrayed due to the obviously weaker DS making for a 3D isometric view in most areas and the battles having their own separate scene transitions.

bubnbob

Banned
Effect said:
Are there any other games currently out that are remotely similar to Xenoblade in design? Console or even on the PC?

I know people have mentioned Final Fantasy 12 when discussing the game but never finished 12 and its been so long I don't really remember anything about it. If I can't get the game timely and without spending a crazy amount of money might as well as go for something similar.

The beauty of Xenoblade is that it doesnt heavily use one specific gameplay design. It is the passionate awkward teenage sex romp of many design bullets brought about from a varying selection of games.

Alrus

Green Scar said:
Get worked by some massive worm thing at the beginning of Tephra Mines or whatever. Shit, I suck :(

Yeah that's normal, had to try a few time before managing to beat it. Make sure to lure the little ones and kill them before attacking the big caterpillar, so you don't have any adds during the fight.

Yuterald

I'm still waiting here in PA. Mine shipped last Tuesday so it's now over a week since it's been shipped and processed. I ordered from GAME.UK as well. I'm assuming mine shipped before they ran out of stock, lol!

I just ordered Disaster Day of Crisis from Ebay as well (PAL). MonolithSoft perfection, I require it!

LProtag

Got it in CT from GAME! I had this weird letterboxing and odd proportions thing going on the entire prologue but realized I didn't set my Wii to 16:9, now it looks a bit better.

Disk is being read fine too! Might do the USB loader thing after this weekend as I'll be busy just in case I need a rip of my copy. My save would work if I ran it off USB loader after having played on the disk for a while right because it's still stored/accessed in the same place, correct?

InsertNameHere said:
Got it in CT from GAME! I had this weird letterboxing and odd proportions thing going on the entire prologue but realized I didn't set my Wii to 16:9, now it looks a bit better.

Disk is being read fine too! Might do the USB loader thing after this weekend as I'll be busy just in case I need a rip of my copy. My save would work if I ran it off USB loader after having played on the disk for a while right because it's still stored/accessed in the same place, correct?
Correct.

Varion

InsertNameHere said:
Yep.

Meanwhile, time for some Mechanical Rhythm. Aw yeah.

omgkitty

meppi said:
Again, try ordering from shop to.net
It shouldn't take long before you have it in your hands. Even less if you take the premium delivery option.

So that is a trusted site that will ship to the US? I am going to assume they still have copies as everyone else seems to have a month listed for shipping?

syoaran

Gameplay is great, and the game provides enough challenge to make it very fun even at this early stage.

Cutscenes are also the best of their class, the
colony 9 attack was predictable, but very very well done.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I was not even familiar with the Wii's issues of reading dual layer discs until this thread. I used the SSBB method to mod my Wii so I guess I have no problem there.

mug

bubnbob said:
You can go back to Colony 9 at any time. Just warp there.
Ugh, I need to start paying attention to the numerous tutorials this game throws your way. How do you warp again?

I'm a litlle disappointed in one of the later areas. (~40 hours playtime)
The snow area is very much lacking the cosiness that I usually like in snowy RPG areas. :( The music is nice and the shiny crystals emit a certain warmth, but I would much prefer a flatter area with snow-covered vegetation. Kinda like a Makna Forst in white.
This steep mountain is not doing it for me. :I

McNum

mug said:
Ugh, I need to start paying attention to the numerous tutorials this game throws your way. How do you warp again?
Open the map in the menu and pick first the general area, then the landmark. You'll be asked if you want to skip there.

mug said:

I had a fair amount of problems at the start of the game because I was rushing and not fully paying attention to the tutorials.

There's a lot of them, but understanding them is crucial.

Peff

slaughterking said:
The snow area is very much lacking the cosiness that I usually like in snowy RPG areas. :( The music is nice and the shiny crystals emit a certain warmth, but I would much prefer a flatter area with snow-covered vegetation. Kinda like a Makna Forst in white.

Yeah, landmark placement is pretty poor there as well. Worst area of the game so far.

Diffense

InsertNameHere said:

Same store, same little state, and probably same dispatch date (8/16).
(My mail hasn't arrived yet but...)
*crosses fingers and toes*

BTW, I saw Clipper answer your question in another thread.
It shouldn't matter; the save file should work from optical disc or HDD.

slaughterking said:

One of the biggest disappointments for me with Tales of Vesperia was that
it didn't have a winter/snow town.

Question about skill linking: Some skills have effect on the whole battleparty (picture of 3 guys), but do those skills stack if you link them to another party member? For example, if someone has a skill that gives a party-buff at the start of the battle and you link that skill to another member of your party, do you get 2 times the buff?

slaughterking said:
It is my least favourite area as well. I even prefer tephra cave to it.

meppi

omgkitty said:
So that is a trusted site that will ship to the US? I am going to assume they still have copies as everyone else seems to have a month listed for shipping?
Just checked and they do ship to the US as well. :)
And yes, the site is trustworthy.
There were some problems a couple of years back with credit cards being compromised (mine included), but it was never proven to be the shops fault. They did change their security client that took care of those things though and there haven't been any such instances since.

Like I mentioned a couple of times in the past week, no matter which UK shop I use, it takes at least week for the games or movies to arrive where I live. (Belgium)
Except for shop to. I get my games within 2-3 days tops, unless it's a long weekend or holiday or something.
Not sure how long it would take to arrive in the US, but seeing as how they are extremely fast compared to everyone else, it's your best bet to get the game in a timely fashion.

There are 2 options for shipping, and I always have used the cheap one.
If you want to feel more secure you can chose the expensive one which is signed for.

One small problem though. I just checked for availability and the game is sold out again. :(
They had a fresh shipment as of Tuesday so I guess if you order now they will ship around Monday or Tuesday of next week when a new order comes in.

They are also the only shop I know of that have a lot of item on 5-min dispatch, which means that when you order one of these games, they will literally be dispatched within the next 5 minutes.
Now that is service.

I've had plenty of horror stories with the hut and zavvi, so I won't be using them for games I want in a timely fashion.
I had to wait over 4 weeks for my copy of OOT to arrive and I had it preordered several months in advance!
While those two do crazy offers from time to time, their customer service is beyond shit.
Like others have mentioned already, it can take up to a month to have the game shipped sometimes, add to that the possible 4-5 week delivery time... :-/

I was just checking on Ebay and I like how some people have the NERVE to actually sell the CC Pro Package for over $100 when every other retailer on the planet isn't. The weird thing is that one listing has 4 bids. There's also one other seller selling the game alone for $163 lmao.

I'm waiting a bit for the price to drop.

omgkitty

meppi said:
Just checked and they do ship to the US as well. :)
And yes, the site is trustworthy.
There were some problems a couple of years back with credit cards being compromised (mine included), but it was never proven to be the shops fault. They did change their security client that took care of those things though and there haven't been any such instances since.

Like I mentioned a couple of times in the past week, no matter which UK shop I use, it takes at least week for the games or movies to arrive where I live. (Belgium)
Except for shop to. I get my games within 2-3 days tops, unless it's a long weekend or holiday or something.
Not sure how long it would take to arrive in the US, but seeing as how they are extremely fast compared to everyone else, it's your best bet to get the game in a timely fashion.

There are 2 options for shipping, and I always have used the cheap one.
If you want to feel more secure you can chose the expensive one which is signed for.

One small problem though. I just checked for availability and the game is sold out again. :(
They had a fresh shipment as of Tuesday so I guess if you order now they will ship around Monday or Tuesday of next week when a new order comes in.

They are also the only shop I know of that have a lot of item on 5-min dispatch, which means that when you order one of these games, they will literally be dispatched within the next 5 minutes.
Now that is service.

I've had plenty of horror stories with the hut and zavvi, so I won't be using them for games I want in a timely fashion.
I had to wait over 4 weeks for my copy of OOT to arrive and I had it preordered several months in advance!
While those two do crazy offers from time to time, their customer service is beyond shit.
Like others have mentioned already, it can take up to a month to have the game shipped sometimes, add to that the possible 4-5 week delivery time... :-/

Thanks for the concise post. I will have to check them out. I just bought a Wii today and it should be here tomorrow, so I am excited to finally get a hold of this game. TBH though, it would almost be stupid for NOA not to release this game now with all of the copies being sold out all over Europe.

omgkitty

RPGCrazied said:
Zavvi. Mistake? GAME is looking pretty good. Countless people in this thread in the states have received from them.

I thought about ordering the LE for the controller, but you can't even get to their website right now. I think your package will come, I have just heard Zavvi is really slow no matter where you live, UK included.

Mael

For people living in France.
Nintendo begins to send email regarding the whole 'receive an artbook if you're among the 1000 firsts lucky bastards who registered the game'.

I received the mail seconds ago....
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

MicH

RPGCrazied said:
Zavvi. Mistake? GAME is looking pretty good. Countless people in this thread in the states have received from them.
I definitely think they used to be. I'm still waiting for my CE from GAME. And I'm on the same continent as them, aw yeah.

NIN90

Zavvi is just slow as fuck. Usually takes 2 weeks till I get my stuff over here in Germany. Shipping to the US would probably take years lol.

RPGCrazied

NIN90 said:
Zavvi is just slow as fuck. Usually takes 2 weeks till I get my stuff over here in Germany. Shipping to the US would probably take years lol.

Actually, SecretMoblioin from here got it from Zavvi. He's in the states. How he managed that, hell if I know.

Diffense

omgkitty said:
I thought about ordering the LE for the controller, but you can't even get to their website right now. I think your package will come, I have just heard Zavvi is really slow no matter where you live, UK included.

When I called GAME to order (due to 'fraud protection') the rep told me the LE is too heavy for them to ship oversees.
Yet, I've seen people in America post that their LE arrived.
I don't get that.

meppi

Almost forgot.
I'm downloading the soundtrack from the Nintendo site right now.

The music in this game is sooooooo good. :)

RPGCrazied said:
Actually, SecretMoblioin from here got it from Zavvi. He's in the states. How he managed that, hell if I know.
Pretty sure he used witchcraft.

JerkShep

Effect said:

Other than FFXII, Star Ocean 3 on PS2 had pretty big locations and a similar battle system.
I'm not a fan of SO3, I didn't even finish it and hated basically all the characters (not mentioning the lol plot twist in the second DVD), and Xenoblade is leagues ahead in every way, but I'd say that it resembles XB in some way.
Rogue Galaxy (PS2) have a similar bs and also big locations, but it's even worse than SO3 in my opinion.

DQVIII has a beautiful world map but gameplay-wise it's completely different from Xenoblade.

CruxisMana said:
One of the biggest disappointments for me with Tales of Vesperia was that
it didn't have a winter/snow town.
Oh yeah, true. That's just unforgivable. >:I

NIN90 said:
Above all, Zavvi deliveries (and most others, really) are just extremely unpredictable. There's no reason to get overly excited here.

Haunted

RPGCrazied said:
Zavvi is reliable in my experience, just super slow. Like, always 1-2 weeks later than you'd expect.

Great pricing if you don't care for timeliness, though.

Top Bottom