• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Paracelsus

lostinblue said:
"If" any developer would try to do something like this on PS3/X360 or even PC the graphics would suffer.

Actually, WKC has gigantic areas and is technically quite good even though it looks flat. Infinite Undiscovery has also a couple massive areas to explore (albeit not at the same level as Xenoblade, I reckon) but the texture and character model work is on a whole different level.

Paracelsus said:
Actually, WKC has gigantic areas and is technically quite good even though it looks flat. Infinite Undiscovery has also a couple massive areas to explore (albeit not at the same level as Xenoblade, I reckon) but the texture and character model work is on a whole different level.
I'm not saying it would have Wii graphics, I'm saying this gen is being way more conservative than previous ones, because if you do a game looking like Persona 3/4 people are gonna badmouth your game. Look at Atlus, they're investing in a Persona with (I bet) facial animations, and I'd rather have new good games within 18 months of development (that's how much Persona 4 took to make) than waiting years for something that "looks better" but might infact be worse because it may limit their creativity and cut down stuff that went from "being funny to do" to "being a nightmare" to implement.

Even Nippon Ichii is going that way with their games, that says a lot of this generation I think.

Also, Final Fantasy, FF6 and FF7 weren't really serious or realistic, so they could do stuff like funny character animations or dressing cloud as a chick without much care and leave it in because it's fun; if they did that now it would just be cutted down from the final game or take 6 months to motion capture and make feel "right" when everything that needed to be conveyed previously was an idea (pretty much, we didn't even know how Zack really looked for instance). I really believe Final Fantasy was conditioned by the graphical expectations they themselves set lately, because it greatly reduces the things they can get away with be it graphically or even plotwise. I mean PS2 tales, Persona and other RPG animations are way worse than FFX (they didn't have motion capture unlike FF), but FFX just seems broken. Why? because of how high end it is/was. it's low poly models are also better than say, Skies of Arcadia on the DC (FFX was an almost first gen PS2 game) but because they're mixed with high end it's just incoherent and it really hurts.

And there's beauty to low-end/sacrificing graphics for something bigger; there's a lot of beauty to what Monolith has achieved. I think limitations should always be pressed on, rather than accepted, even if that means making sacrifices… Some of the games we're still heralding as the best games ever to this day were plagued by limitations after all.

Varion

YES

Oh that was glorious. Beaten all the high level uniques now.

No plot spoilers, just comments:
L108 wasn't all that difficult, it flipped out when it was on low health but I managed to kill it without too much effort.

L114 almost went horribly wrong when I didn't know that toppling it did spike damage to you. So I just flipped it over, panicked as my HP amounts went flying down and Shulk died, but just managed to recover. After that it was pretty much smooth sailing.

L120... was actually a lot less difficult than I expected. I used Shulk, Dunban, Melia, basically using Shulk's positional moves and spamming Monado Armour, using chain attacks to topple it wherever possible, then either Monado Armour/Shield whenever I got a future vision (Shulk's 'full talent gauge whenever you get a vision' skill is so good) With high agility and night accuracy gems I didn't have much trouble hitting it. The most interesting part of the fight was when I got it to about 20% HP ... and the L100 Final Marcus decides to just spawn, wander over and start attacking me. Which made me panic for a minute, but considering its damage spikes it seemed like a safer option to just ignore it. Beat it then slaughtered Marcus for the interruption.

Now I'm just going to see the rest of the heart-to-hearts, do a final nostalgia run across the areas that are still available, then finish the game. God I'm going to miss it.

LV120 was the first I downed in the red super bosses, I used the same team you used but my strategy was a lot different.

And for LV114 I reduced Spike damage by 95% so it didn't do that much ^^

Varion

InternHertz said:
LV120 was the first I downed in the red super bosses, I used the same team you used but my strategy was a lot different.

And for LV114 I reduced Spike damage by 95% so it didn't do that much ^^
I would've done that if I'd known about it, heh. Glancingly checked the wiki but missed the damage spikes bit.

Surprised you beat the L120 first though, did you miss much? I made sure to get enough cylinders from the L105 to give everyone 50% night accuracy before moving on to the others.

Finished up heart to hearts and decided it was time to end things. (brief ending spoilers)
****YEAH ENDING SPOILERS HINT HINT****Well, that was rather unexpected. I liked the first person perspective part, makes me upset you couldn't play the game like that (it would probably look like a mess and be unplayable in battle...). Was hoping the spirits I killed/spared would have a bearing on the ending (I killed 2 then thought, "this is stupid, I suppose if I was level 75 these would be like Zemus Mind/Soul from FFIV i.e. good EXP but 97...not so" so spared the others). Now time for Xenoblade 2: Dawn of the New World?
I'll have to pop into the spoilers thread sometime now.

Edit:That was quick (the spoilers thread I mean) and I'll leave it in peace.

Varion said:
I would've done that if I'd known about it, heh. Glancingly checked the wiki but missed the damage spikes bit.

Surprised you beat the L120 first though, did you miss much? I made sure to get enough cylinders from the L105 to give everyone 50% night accuracy before moving on to the others.
Nope, did not miss a lot, maybe once in a chain attack but it had no consequences. And I managed to get really long chains for up to 191000 damage (almost 25% of his HP)
I equipped everyone with Night Vision V 42%, you can get them by trading, 42% is the max at rank V so I just reloaded if I got less than that, and repeated 3 times.

wrowa

Jucksalbe said:
Did you already go beyond
the bridge
? It's in the next big area, I don't think you can miss it there.
Apparently it can be missed rather easily; at the very least I haven't seen it during the last 60 hours :lol But it went smoothly after knowing where I had to look for it. Thanks!

Is there supposed to be a complete lack of items in the
Bionis' Interior? I found nothing and theres a page for the location in the collectopaedia

Varion

InternHertz said:
Nope, did not miss a lot, maybe once in a chain attack but it had no consequences. And I managed to get really long chains for up to 191000 damage (almost 25% of his HP)
I equipped everyone with Night Vision V 42%, you can get them by trading, 42% is the max at rank V so I just reloaded if I got less than that, and repeated 3 times.
Sheesh. Well that works. I was pretty much just using chain attacks to topple (and a couple of times I stuck an emergency Light Heal in there), though once I'd done that if it was still going on I tried to do a bit more damage. Slow but steady (though it wasn't that slow, was still done by 1AM).

JumpingTheGun said:
Is there supposed to be a complete lack of items in the
Bionis' Interior? I found nothing and theres a page for the location in the collectopaedia
Yup, there's nothing there, so don't worry about it.

KarmaCow

Anyone know a good spot for Grape Springs? I've run all around
Agniratha
and only found one. The quest I need it for needs 6 and usually that means they aren't that rare.

dramatis

lostinblue said:
I'm not saying it would have Wii graphics, I'm saying this gen is being way more conservative than previous ones, because if you do a game looking like Persona 3/4 people are gonna badmouth your game. Look at Atlus, they're investing in a Persona with (I bet) facial animations, and I'd rather have new good games within 18 months of development (that's how much Persona 4 took to make) than waiting years for something that "looks better" but might infact be worse because it may limit their creativity and cut down stuff that went from "being funny to do" to "being a nightmare" to implement.

And there's beauty to low-end/sacrificing graphics for something bigger; there's a lot of beauty to what Monolith has achieved. I think limitations should always be pressed on, rather than accepted, even if that means making sacrifices… Some of the games we're still heralding as the best games ever to this day were plagued by limitations.
He's not judging the quality of the game by its visuals, he's judging the visuals. The character models and environment objects are definitely not comparable to many games of this generation.

The assumption that somehow future Persona titles are being delayed because Atlus is doing facial animations of all things is a bit odd. They have done facial animation before (see the Raidou Kuzunoha PS2 branch of SMT (quite well I add)), but it added life to the characters in a different way from still portraits, and those games were still quite quickly developed and released. Graphical advancement has never been a significant factor in Atlus's games.

What you're mistaking in the long development times of current gen games isn't necessarily spent on just graphical emphasis rather than gameplay. Japanese developers are learning the advantages of having a flexible engine with the tools to help them make games quicker—but developing these tools in the first place takes time. Atlus has baked its own engine for future games, most likely springboarding from the experience of Catherine, and still releases quality games every year.

There's no particular beauty to sacrificing graphics for something bigger. If that were the case any hack can claim their shitty graphics were for the sake of higher gameplay, and have no regard for an aesthetic style suitable to the game style or story. More praiseworthy is the support graphics can give to the experience and gameplay. Minecraft's blocky style looks like a graphical nightmare, but serves the core gameplay—building—extremely well. Journey is no magnificent tech demo, but evokes the right sense of isolation and enigma.

A better argument for Xenoblade's crappy visual bits would be that the emphasis is not on the characters but the world, and therefore the world's look had greater priority. It is not a sacrifice but a deliberate choice. For you to consider it a sacrifice to begin with means you acknowledge that the graphics are not on par with other games.

It's a bit presumptuous to say that something like XB's environments can't be done with high-end graphics even on the PC, especially when Skyrim is coming at the end of this year.

Varion said:
Sheesh. Well that works. I was pretty much just using chain attacks to topple (and a couple of times I stuck an emergency Light Heal in there), though once I'd done that if it was still going on I tried to do a bit more damage. Slow but steady (though it wasn't that slow, was still done by 1AM).
I used chain attacks to topple too, and most importantly to get the bosses in a lockdown and extend the timer before they unleash their attack.
The goal was to get them the entire fight without damaging me, and it went smoothly when no spike aura. With spike aura I just switched one gem to counter and the rest was the same as the others.

I'll tell you the order I used in combat.
Controlling Melia. Spear Break + Starlight Kick to start off the fight, the boss is toppled, I use that moment to spawn an electric elemental or two. If topple is then out, I begin a chain attack, if the AI did another one, I wait and damage him with lightning. So, chain link, Melia Spear Break, Shulk Stream Edge, Dunban "green fist", Melia Starlight Kick, Shulk Monado Cyclone if possible if not it depends where he's positioned but mostly "red" moves, Dunban his talent art if possible, if not then the mini cyclone and from there well it's just throwing every attack I have until the chain stops. When the fight "resumes" the cooldown for Melia is over and I redo the same thing from the beginning when topple wears off. When I know I have time and Melia is in Burst, I try to Burst End or Mind Blast.
That way, the boss will most likely do nothing but wait to be killed.

Erm, if you're talking about Unique gear, you can't get the gems off.

If you're talking about Slot gear, just equip it for a second and remove the gems (2 on the wiimote).

TheExodu5

Banned
dramatis said:
He's not judging the quality of the game by its visuals, he's judging the visuals. The character models and environment objects are definitely not comparable to many games of this generation.

The assumption that somehow future Persona titles are being delayed because Atlus is doing facial animations of all things is a bit odd. They have done facial animation before (see the Raidou Kuzunoha PS2 branch of SMT (quite well I add)), but it added life to the characters in a different way from still portraits, and those games were still quite quickly developed and released. Graphical advancement has never been a significant factor in Atlus's games.

What you're mistaking in the long development times of current gen games isn't necessarily spent on just graphical emphasis rather than gameplay. Japanese developers are learning the advantages of having a flexible engine with the tools to help them make games quicker—but developing these tools in the first place takes time. Atlus has baked its own engine for future games, most likely springboarding from the experience of Catherine, and still releases quality games every year.

There's no particular beauty to sacrificing graphics for something bigger. If that were the case any hack can claim their shitty graphics were for the sake of higher gameplay, and have no regard for an aesthetic style suitable to the game style or story. More praiseworthy is the support graphics can give to the experience and gameplay. Minecraft's blocky style looks like a graphical nightmare, but serves the core gameplay—building—extremely well. Journey is no magnificent tech demo, but evokes the right sense of isolation and enigma.

A better argument for Xenoblade's crappy visual bits would be that the emphasis is not on the characters but the world, and therefore the world's look had greater priority. It is not a sacrifice but a deliberate choice. For you to consider it a sacrifice to begin with means you acknowledge that the graphics are not on par with other games.

It's a bit presumptuous to say that something like XB's environments can't be done with high-end graphics even on the PC, especially when Skyrim is coming at the end of this year.

His point was that for everything else to be up to par with current-gen "standards" (textures, polycount, shaders, etc...), the scope of the game would be far more limited. This should be fairly obvious from the interviews we've read with regard to things like the Final Fantasy VII remake, where the interviewee claims that it would simply take too much time to render towns with high resolution visuals. Xenoblade sacrifices visual fidelity for incredible scope. And yes, it is a sacrifice. It all depends on where the team's priorities lie.

exhume

lostinblue said:
Look at Atlus, they're investing in a Persona with (I bet) facial animations, and I'd rather have new good games within 18 months of development (that's how much Persona 4 took to make) than waiting years for something that "looks better" but might infact be worse because it may limit their creativity and cut down stuff that went from "being funny to do" to "being a nightmare" to implement.
I've seen the argument about P4=18 months thing before and it strikes me as a little odd. Didn't P4 reuse a bucketload of assets from P3, which in turn reused assets from games like DDS/Nocturne? All those (100+) demon/persona sprites were pre-rendered in 3D and ready to be used, for instance.

Gvaz

Banned
If you sell Slot gear with gems in it you get the gems back, every time. Anything with a U and you get nothing.

dramatis said:
Wasn't saying he was. I was saying though that graphics aren't a switch, like scope isn't. They clearly made a choice.

Was it worth it? judging from this thread I'd say it's a resounding yes.
dramatis said:
You're being too literal about what I was trying to convey.

It's not the facial animations (and not necessarily a new Persona, I was talking about Atlus games in general, Catherine is more high profile when it comes to graphical ambition than anything Atlus before), what I'm saying is that the higher profile they get the more obliged to make those things they feel even if deep down they're a loss of time/they might even limit their creativity, yet they're not something that'll make their games necessarily better, back when P3 came out lots of games had facial animations or better graphics, and the lack of it didn't mean it was a worse game, quite the contrary. I always felt Atlus games felt they had to compensate how low budget they were by having kick ass artistic directions for instance. (not that they'll lose that now)

But I'd take that kick-ass-different-artistic-direction any day in spite of yet more graphics emphasis.
dramatis said:
That matter could sprout a thread of it's own. Anywho, better graphics take more time to do, stuff with more polygons take more time to model, higher resolution textures take more time to draw/apply/fit whatever.

A game like Xenoblade on a HD platform would need several times the staff it had, and that's not always a good thing.
dramatis said:
We disagree; I like seeing software that I never thought was possible on the hardware. Sadly this gen that's a rarity, because no one on the HD platforms is trying to do the FFXII of their generation, and who says FFXII says Shadow of the Colossus or even Zelda Twilight Princess. They're just going happy go merry at better graphics whilst sacrificing stuff.

For instance Resistance 2 had 60 players online mode, Resistance 3 has 16 players in the name of better graphics. How's that pushing the envelope? the further this generation gets the more claustrophobic stuff is getting, because unlike other generations most developers were caught in the loop that in order to achieve better graphics they have to sacrifice stuff. And they're sacrificing alright, they're sacrificing everything in order to push more juice for graphics purposes.

And it's not about graphics, it never really was.
dramatis said:
Never said they were, it's a sacrifice, but it's a sacrifice that takes balls, which is my point. They're pushing the envelope, and not the Wii envelope, the envelope of the whole genre. It takes balls.
dramatis said:
Jesus… I'm starting to wonder if you read what I said.

I'm saying if you tried the Xenoblade scale on any HD JRPG on any hardware the graphics would suffer, it's not rocket science and it doesn't mean they'd suddenly turn into Wii graphics or that superior hardware can only aspire to this; it's more like, this is pretty much Wii's limit pushing this scope, HD console's would have other limit and PC's would have yet another limit, but they would have a limit in which the achievable detail would be lower than doable in other scenarios/if other design choices were taken. They'd suffer anywhere, basically. Scope is a bitch when it comes to hardware and even talent resources, unless we're talking stuff like Oblivion with "random unimaginative and boring terrain generators" for the fields.

GOD the birds in Satori Marsh are HORRIBLY ANNOYING

GOD DAMN

trying to escape from them (not because I'm underleveled but because they ANNOY ME) I stumbled upon a Elite Igna with a bunch of allies of the same level and he proceeded to kick my arse. Man, this guy has some crazy attacks

GODDAMN BIRDS

gotygotygotygotygotygotygoty

p.s. I just ventured into Bionis' leg for a couple of leftover sidequests...and saw a level 90 elite atop the Spiral Valley named Immovable Gonzales. His name made me laugh for some reason

just read the fire in texas destroyed 300 homes! hopefully it didn't take out a USPS in RPGCrazied's area. pray for the families who lost their homes. and Xenoblade arrives at RPGCrazied's still this week.

TheExodu5

Banned
:eek:

marsh.png

ramyeon

It's here!

j5yfKxSUZ1Upq.jpg

It arrived yesterday but I was at my girlfriend's place so I came home to the package early this morning. It's amazing and it's everything I expected it to be! Unfortunately I could only play for about 2 hours as I've got Uni, but I spent the whole time exploring Colony 9 and it's surroundings and doing small quests here and there incidentally along the way.

It's beautiful, even on the Wii itself not Dolphin.

RPGCrazied

DMPrince said:
just read the fire in texas destroyed 300 homes! hopefully it didn't take out a USPS in RPGCrazied's area. pray for the families who lost their homes. and Xenoblade arrives at RPGCrazied's still this week.

Fires? I'm still lurking this thread. I've kept my whining about not getting it to myself, since it bothered a few people. At this point I have no clue when I'm getting it. Could be another week.

KarmaCow

Just wondering, do you ever return to the
Central Factory? I noticed that there is a top level I never reached but I don't know how I could.

Varion

Aaaand finished.

- Got all arts manuals.
- Maxed all affinities.
- Seen all heart-to-hearts.
- Beat all the high level uniques.
- Done all 423 possible quests in one playthrough.

Final playtime estimate: 184 hours 24 minutes. Sheesh.

It's been a whole lot of fun, but it's finally time to put the game down ;_;

Anyone have any general tips for this game that would be awesome for a person who just started to know?

What should I spend my money on, should I buy weapons/armor? Should I sell anything?

Is this game guide heavy, or can I run around on my own and manage to see cool stuff and uncover the majority of the important sidequests/weapons/armor/secrets?

Is the trading thing important? Is it something I should pay attention to?

Can you socket and remove gems at will? Or do you lose them forever once you attach them?

Any answers to these questions and any other general advice would be greatly appreciated

Luigiv

Varion said:
Aaaand finished.

- Got all arts manuals.
- Maxed all affinities.
- Seen all heart-to-hearts.
- Beat all the high level uniques.
- Done all 423 possible quests in one playthrough.

Final playtime estimate: 184 hours 24 minutes. Sheesh.

It's been a whole lot of fun, but it's finally time to put the game down ;_;
Really? Sounds like it's time to new game+ to me!
trollface.jpg

matmanx1

Loving the gameplay and music but really having a tough time with the graphical fidelity. I am so not used to playing games in 480p! Still, the environments are very impressive and the way the game flows and works (virtually zero loading time) is fantastic.

Is Dolphin glitch free for Xenoblade and can I use my save file that I already have started on my Wii for it? I've got plenty of horsepower in my PC to run Dolphin (i5 2500k @4GHz, Radeon 6970) but have always been wary of emulators on a long RPG where you can spend 40 hours and then find a section that just won't work.

bubnbob

Banned
robotzombie said:
Anyone have any general tips for this game that would be awesome for a person who just started to know?

What should I spend my money on, should I buy weapons/armor? Should I sell anything?

Is this game guide heavy, or can I run around on my own and manage to see cool stuff and uncover the majority of the important sidequests/weapons/armor/secrets?

Can you socket and remove gems at will? Or do you lose them forever once you attach them?

Any answers to these questions and any other general advice would be greatly appreciated

- Experiment

- You can use a guide if you want, but there's no explicit reason to use one. Enjoy the game

- Trading isn't that important, but you can find some neat goodies if you really dedicate. It's not a concern.

- You can remove gems at will

Huge tip I can give though. Gonna spoiler it just in case:
Enjoy the game

Varion

robotzombie said:

1. You can spend on what you like, personally I'd prioritise arts manuals for arts you actually use. If you're fighting lots of uniques you probably won't need to buy THAT much equipment, though it's worth taking a look in the shops nayway.

2. You can uncover most stuff on your own, though there are missables. I'd say don't worry about them and just play by yourself though.

3. It's one way to get useful items later on, though it's generally not essential. Convenient, though.

4. Yes you can remove and reattach them as many times as you like.

Edit: Beaten but whatever!

RPGCrazied

That was another reason I wanted to get this earlier than what I'm waiting. I wanted to experience this adventure with you guys. By the time I get the game most of you will have it beaten and gone to something else.

Magnus

Man, is that gem crafting tutorial ever the most poorly explained thing, or what? Shooters, engineers, strong/weak flame? What the fuck? I'm sure I'll understand it by second nature before long, but shit. So clusterfucked to start.

The over-melodramatic music/cutscenes are starting to get to me already. I really hope I'm not outgrowing JRPGs, because I still feel like I love them. I can objectively recognize that what I'm playing annihilates XIII as far as gameplay goes, and I'm still feeling annoyed. Maybe this type of game really isn't for me anymore. :(

Pressing on for now though. Went through enough trouble to get this, after all. 4 hours in or so. About to:

About to
Head to Colony 6. I know I'm still early.

Sophia

RPGCrazied said:
That was another reason I wanted to get this earlier than what I'm waiting. I wanted to experience this adventure with you guys. By the time I get the game most of you will have it beaten and gone to something else.

At least you got to order yours. =p

Thankfully, I don't mind spoilers, so I can join in with the story aspects... buuut I wanna play too. D:

Varion

robotzombie said:
Is there any problem if you dont do heart-to-hearts perfectly?
None, you can lose affection if you choose the wrong answer but it's easily recoverable. In fact to get all the play awards you have to deliberately screw one up.

Varion said:
None, you can lose affection if you choose the wrong answer but it's easily recoverable. In fact to get all the play awards you have to deliberately screw one up.

Nice, I'm really liking that they've made a game that is so unpunishing and allows you to do things on your own without missing out on so much

D23

RPGCrazied said:

lol im sure u will beat the game before i do. i took my time with jrpg... it took me almost 8 months to beat ff12 lol..

TheExodu5 said:
Leggings (and maybe helm?) are the only thing I'm missing too. Anyone know where they drop?

Pretty weird though. Our Reyns look the exact same. :eek:
unfortunately no. I've just been fighting the enemies that were off on the cliff when you take the lift to go up/down. and equipped before i made it to the boss. so i don't remember which i fought to get it.

Top Bottom