• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
SecretMoblin said:
But we don't know if it will have a subscription fee in North America, and the entire game can be cleared 100% without wading into the multiplayer. The only thing we know for certain is that it will require an internet connection to play. I've been playing the franchise since the very first game; I'm willing to wait and see about DQX before declaring it terrible.

The first bold is what they said about DQIX and the characters/story suffered greatly as the result. The second one is the very reason I won't be able to play it since quality of the Internet connection in my country is very fucking bottom-of-the-barrel level.

But you are right, this is not the place to talk about this, I apologize.

ramyeon said:
So many surprises in Gaur Plains. It switched from daytime to nighttime and suddenly I was surrounded by giant level 70 pink birds.

I still remember vividly running around with reckless abandon and then all of a sudden a level 90-ish (or is it 80...?) monster suddenly appear, the monstrous ape-looking one that walks around.

Holy crap.

ramyeon

Laughing Banana said:
I still remember vividly running around with reckless abandon and then all of a sudden a level 90-ish (or is it 80...?) monster suddenly appear, the monstrous ape-looking one that walks around.

Holy crap.
Yeah I've had a run in with him too. Most recent was a triceratops looking one that was around lv80. Accidentally locked onto him and he charged me, straight away I got a vision of my main character getting damaged for over 8000 and dying. I just bolted haha.

Love it, it keeps me on my toes especially considering I'm a bit over levelled it seems (Level 20 at the moment).

Laughing Banana said:
But you are right, this is not the place to talk about this, I apologize.
No need to apologize; I love talking DQ! :) I shouldn't have waded into that discussion in this thread, though.

And sorry to hear about your internet connection. I know how that can be -- and it's extra difficult on the Wii. I strongly prefer single-player, offline experiences for that reason, which is why I love Xenoblade.

ramyeon said:
Love it, it keeps me on my toes especially considering I'm a bit over levelled it seems (Level 20 at the moment).
How many sidequests are you doing? Do you want to be overleveled? It seems very easy to be overleveled in the early part of the game but I think it gets much tougher later on. As long as you aren't doing every quest you see, your levels should be about right.

McNum

Oxx said:
You find out early on that running away is not only necessary, but pretty exciting.
Yeah, running away is actually fun in this game. Just remember to run, not swim. I learned that the hard way when fleeing a group of flying Mechon.

ramyeon

I'm okay with being over levelled at the moment. Although that said I haven't faced any real tough bosses yet; I don't need too much challenge on the monsters in the wild but as far as important story related battles I'd like a bit of challenge.

Fritz

Oxx said:
It might be a shock going from Xenoblade to The Last Story next year. Isn't the latter supposed to be really tightly-focussed and relatively brief?

I am so looking forward to The Last Story, even more because it seems to be almost the exact opposite of Xenoblade.

wrowa

Where the heck did Jarack in
Eryth Sea
go?
I made the quests he gave me, now I am supposed to report back to him, but he isn't at the Ether Plant anymore. I've searched for him at the lighthouse too, but he isn't there either. Where is he?

Also, I'm searching for a lost boy in the same area. Does someone know where to find him? The game doesn't seem to give any hints about his whereabouts.

Oxx said:
You find out early on that running away is not only necessary, but pretty exciting.
There is something thrilling about starting a punch up with a small group of enemies only to suddenly find yourself overwhelmed by newcomers to the fray (bonus points if one of those unique monsters is leaping in bringing the "oh shit.." music change) leading you to either overcome the odds or make a run for it.

*endgame spoilers*
A bridge towards the end of prison island threw me into a bind with a constant flow of interference from new monsters joining the brawl, in fact the area seems to be designed to lull you in

Is it obvious when the
Eryth Sea
quests are about to become unavailable? They all appear to have timers.

I actually think the single significant complaint I have about this game is the method of collecting quests. The town areas are so huge and you have to run through multiple times at different times of day to make sure you get everything. I'm thinking of letting the "must complete everything" part of me die and just getting on with the story.

I really love everything else about this game.

My personal complaint with the game is it really needed a chapter system. The system saves indicate chapters were planned but it would be a boon for keeping spoiler free and saying when timed quests expire. In the case of the
Alocomoth ones. A long time yet. There is a semi-point of no return that indicates the expiration
. If you really want to be OCD about it, keep two saves.

wrowa said:
Also, I'm searching for a lost boy in the same area. Does someone know where to find him? The game doesn't seem to give any hints about his whereabouts.
The mother said so I thought.
IIRC Floating Reef 1

wrowa

Baloonatic said:
I actually think the single significant complaint I have about this game is the method of collecting quests. The town areas are so huge and you have to run through multiple times at different times of day to make sure you get everything. I'm thinking of letting the "must complete everything" part of me die and just getting on with the story.
Finding the quests in your area is actually rather easy.
Most of the quest-givers spawn at one of the teleporters at either 06:00 or 18:00.

PetrCobra

wrowa said:
Where the heck did Jarack in
Eryth Sea
go?
I made the quests he gave me, now I am supposed to report back to him, but he isn't at the Ether Plant anymore. I've searched for him at the lighthouse too, but he isn't there either. Where is he?

just as you enter his area, he's there at the gate. I couldn't see him either :)

Starwolf_UK said:
My personal complaint with the game is it really needed a chapter system. The system saves indicate chapters were planned but it would be a boon for keeping spoiler free and saying when timed quests expire. In the case of the
Alocomoth ones. A long time yet. There is a semi-point of no return that indicates the expiration
. If you really want to be OCD about it, keep two saves.

wrowa said:
Finding the quests in your area is actually rather easy.
Most of the quest-givers spawn at one of the teleporters at either 06:00 or 18:00.

Thanks guys, very helpful points there!

Antagon

ramyeon said:
I'm okay with being over levelled at the moment. Although that said I haven't faced any real tough bosses yet; I don't need too much challenge on the monsters in the wild but as far as important story related battles I'd like a bit of challenge.

If you want to I'd recommend continuing with the story for a bit at the point you are. The next boss should be around the lvl you are now.

CoolS

Spent the last 3 hours questing and getting a three star ranking in
Frontier Village
. Also leveled up to Lvl 46. Will stop there for now and move over to
Alcomoth to finish that awesome Red Pollen quest chain
. Maybe I'll quest there for a bit, or maybe I'll head to the
Tomb to save her Highness
. Depends on my mood. But I think I might be overlevelled once again :)

I love the freedom in this game. I said it before but if you don't feel like progressing in the story, you can just run around, do quests, level affinities, craft gems and get stronger. And if you're bored with that, have some story :) So awesome!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oxx said:
It might be a shock going from Xenoblade to The Last Story next year. Isn't the latter supposed to be really tightly-focussed and relatively brief?
Yes, people know this, why would they be shocked? Is Mass Effect 2 a shock after Fallout 3? Just set your expectations right guys.

BluWacky

There's a funny point in the game fairly late on where I found the general mobs to become much harder than the bosses.

Spoilers for at least 40-50 hours in I guess:

For Sword Valley going into Galahad Fortress and then down onto the Fallen Arm/Hidden Machina Village, I found that general mobs take FOREVER to kill. I've stopped sidequesting for a bit as I was slightly burnt out so I'm not outlevelling the mobs as much as I have done, but some of the Mechon seem to take waaaay too long to kill. I guess it's a consequence of equipping Dickson's Anti-Mechon weaponry rather than taking Shulk into every battle with me.

I suppose I should get back to sidequesting - I've hardly touched any of the High Entia ones at all, I was just a bit burnt out and wanted to push on to get my party completed. Not sure how to really make good use of the final party member, though - I already have enough characters that can fulfil every role said party member can.

Dascu

Finished the game (i.e. main story) at 85 hours.

Party:
Dunban (lvl85) - Sharla (lvl83) - Riki (lvl84)

I still have a bunch of endgame quests to do, but I wanted to fight the last bosses before I became too over-leveled. I liked the ending, and the story in general. I'd say it's one of the "weaker" areas of the game though (but still really good and very interesting). The battle system and the world design are what really establish Xenoblade Chronicles as one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Fantastic achievement by MonolithSoft and tons of thanks to Nintendo of Europe for localizing this game.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
>_<

Is there a difficulty option anywhere? I'm about 4 hours in (fighting the giant spider!) and i've died like 4 times.

and how the hell can I heal my party members other than my one heal spell that doesnt heal much and is slow and I cant use it again for like a minute... am I missing something here..

HolyCheck said:
>_<

Is there a difficulty option anywhere? I'm about 4 hours in (fighting the giant spider!) and i've died like 4 times.

and how the hell can I heal my party members other than my one heal spell that doesnt heal much and is slow and I cant use it again for like a minute... am I missing something here..

What level are you? I suggest doing some sidequests to strengthen your characters. Im about 4-5 levels (or more) above every creature I fight and Ive had zero issues.

Ledsen

HolyCheck said:
>_<

How many sidequests are you doing? I do them all and I'm constantly ~7 levels above the enemies (currently 40 hours in).

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ledsen said:
How many sidequests are you doing? I do them all and I'm constantly ~7 levels above the enemies (currently 40 hours in).

Ah... I'm like the same level.. I always have trouble in rpg's running away from the main story and doing side quests.. I feel like I HAVE TO GET TO THAT VILLAGE NOW or every one will die..

I am like level 12 and the enemies in this cave are about level 8 - 11.. perhaps I should grind some more

CoolS

HolyCheck said:
>_<

Na that's all you have for the moment. However you will get a healer soonish, so just make the best of it for now :)

KarmaCow

Couple question after a late game spoiler.

So Alcamoth is overrun with Telethia and I'm still only 4 stars with Upper Bionis. I checked my quest log and I seem to have done all the quests I could have in Alcamoth and most of them in Eryth Sea and Valak Mountian so I'm at a loss. Frontier Village and the Hidden Village seemed to have more than enough quests to get max. Also, can I still access the Heart to Hearts in Alcamoth? I can't seem to use the teleporters to get to the places like the throne room.

Fritz

HolyCheck said:
>_<

Doesn't the Monado
unlock a new power at that point? IIrc the game kinda forces you to use the new power in battle. Doing some grinding doesn't harm either

ether mine battle (lvl 25 ish)

i can't defeat that xorg guy, i never get enough meter to do a party combo, they die before hand and my meter moves like a snail, first time i have trouble and i have no idea what to do since leveling does not really work

Diprosalic said:

i can't defeat that xorg guy, i never get enough meter to do a party combo, they die before hand and my meter moves like a snail, first time i have trouble and i have no idea what to do since leveling does not really work
attack his minions to build up chain attack. then make sure you lock on him first before doing the chain attack. just ignore him while you build up the meter. you SHOULD be alive still even at that level since i beat him in one try at that level

Diprosalic said:

First of all you want to ensure that you pull off successful side attacks and back attacks with Shulk, the meter will only increase if you get the extra effects as the names indicate (i'm sure you are very much aware that hitting someone in the back with back attack is the idea). Fortunately due to the number of enemies around you can easily pull them off. Xord doesn't go too far out his way to beat you down so don't feel you have to target him specifically.
I should mention that the whole point of this segment is to inflict the topple status on Xord and nothing more so building the meter takes priority over everything in this case. If possible try to enter the battle with a high meter, that's if there are enemies you can fight nearby to do so but i'm not sure if there is in this case.

KarmaCow said:
Couple question after a late game spoiler.

So Alcamoth is overrun with Telethia and I'm still only 4 stars with Upper Bionis. I checked my quest log and I seem to have done all the quests I could have in Alcamoth and most of them in Eryth Sea and Valak Mountian so I'm at a loss. Frontier Village and the Hidden Village seemed to have more than enough quests to get max. Also, can I still access the Heart to Hearts in Alcamoth? I can't seem to use the teleporters to get to the places like the throne room.
Some of the people evacuated. Some went to Eryth Sea ether plant, others to the sealed tower in Valak mountain, the shrine in the swmap and frontier village, some of them will have new quests to do which you can es to reach 5 stars if you missed getting there before that (you pretty much hasve to do every quest in that area before that point to hit 5 stars otherwise). For repairing the generator (thereby using teleporters again). Frontier village 1F at the main gate, set time to 18:00.

KarmaCow

Starwolf_UK said:
Some of the people evacuated. Some went to Eryth Sea ether plant, others to the sealed tower in Valak mountain, the shrine in the swmap and frontier village, some of them will have new quests to do which you can es to reach 5 stars if you missed getting there before that (you pretty much hasve to do every quest in that area before that point to hit 5 stars otherwise). For repairing the generator (thereby using teleporters again). Frontier village 1F at the main gate, set time to 18:00.

Alright thanks, I was worried about missing stuff.

What party do you guys use? I'm at level 31 and find that I manage best with
Rayne and Sharla along with Shulk
probably because of healer.

What do you guys prefer?

MicH

Aw man, I totally miss playing this game already. Classes started today and I've had almost no time to play this :(

Need some assistance. I swear Ive uncovered every part of the map in Makna Forest
(except some area above the western end of bride 2 & 3) but I cant seem to find Precipice Bridge. Also, is there a certain time /circumstances to find Agile Alberto? I cant remember if I killed him earlier and he's nowhere to be found around bridge 3 and Ive been changing times and saving/reloading my file

Sadist

Btw quest, a quest from the Nopon Merchant at Colony 6:

I need to deliver a message to Gerugo, but I can't find him :(

Dascu

JumpingTheGun said:
Need some assistance. I swear Ive uncovered every part of the map in Makna Forest
(except some area above the western end of bride 2 & 3) but I cant seem to find Precipice Bridge. Also, is there a certain /circumstances to find Agile Alberto? I cant remember if I killed him earlier and he's nowhere to be found around bridge 3 and Ive been changing times and saving/reloading my file
I think Precipice Bridge is in the south-east part of the map. Could be totally wrong. As for the unique, he's below the bridge. Jump down into the water.

Sadist said:

Second area of Gaur Plains, not too far from the Spiral Valley landmark. I think it's called Traveller's Rest. Should be west or north from the landmark, in the area with all the holes in the ground that lead to Windy Cave.

Sadist said:

I'm not completely sure, but is that maybe the Nopon on the top level of Bionis' Leg?

Gambit

Nocturnowl said:
First of all you want to ensure that you pull off successful side attacks and back attacks with Shulk, the meter will only increase if you get the extra effects as the names indicate (i'm sure you are very much aware that hitting someone in the back with back attack is the idea). Fortunately due to the number of enemies around you can easily pull them off. Xord doesn't go too far out his way to beat you down so don't feel you have to target him specifically.
I should mention that the whole point of this segment is to inflict the topple status on Xord and nothing more so building the meter takes priority over everything in this case. If possible try to enter the battle with a high meter, that's if there are enemies you can fight nearby to do so but i'm not sure if there is in this case.

There aren't any enemies in that area. Unless you make use of your quick travel. But onecan jump to where enemies are, fight enough of them to fill the gauge and jump back. That's how I did it. Worked like a charm

ksamedi

JumpingTheGun said:
(except some area above the western end of bride 2 & 3) but I cant seem to find Precipice Bridge. Also, is there a certain time /circumstances to find Agile Alberto? I cant remember if I killed him earlier and he's nowhere to be found around bridge 3 and Ive been changing times and saving/reloading my file

You get to the last part of Makna forest in a later stage of the game. To find Agile Alberto, drop into the water from bridge three and he's somewhere around there.

Melhisedek said:
What party do you guys use? I'm at level 31 and find that I manage best with
Rayne and Sharla along with Shulk
probably because of healer.

What do you guys prefer?

Shulk, Dunban, Melia. High agility on Dunban, so he can play tank in a different way than Reyn. Both Melia and Dunban do a lot more damage than Reyn and Sharla, so this party is a lot more offense oriented but lacks a little in the defense.

Sadist

Btw, I'm busy with a quest on the Bionis leg where I need
a Tokilo's(?) egg but the only ones I can find are those lvl 79 birds. Are there any lower level Tokilo's in the area?

Dascu

Sadist said:
Btw, I'm busy with a quest on the Bionis leg where I need
a Tokilo's(?) egg but the only ones I can find are those lvl 79 birds. Are there any lower level Tokilo's in the area?
There's Tokilo's Egg, which is a red special item. Should be lying close to the birds. There's also Tokilo's King Egg, which is an item drop (from those birds). Those are needed for an endgame quest and for the Colony 6 reconstruction one. You probably want the first one.

Well, I've crossed the 20 hour mark and just made it to the infiltration of
Colony 6
. Been doing a ton of quests instead of focusing on the story. Having a freaking blast.

Top Bottom