• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Oxx

I had a pretty lacklustre day with the game today. I decided to break-off from the main path and go back to some of the old quests and ended up spending aaagggeeesssss searching for specific monster quests and I couldn't find any of them. Humbug.

Well. I've got proof of the chapter numbers now. Using Dolphin right click properties, go to filesystem tab and look in the ev>realtime>(en or jp) directory. The files are a load of .adx files (hence the CRIWare logo on the back of the box) which are audio for all the cutscenes (with sound effects and any music that plays in them). The first two digits are the chapter number and match this Japanese site.

Some statistics on the game cutscenes from it (I'll spoiler it just in case). Total cutscenes*:
, Longest cutscenes:
12:01, 10:01
. Total playtime of cutscenes*:
05:08:34
. Total filesize
2*879MB
(each language is the same size)
*-An overestimate since a few of the files might not be from cutscenes.

bodine1231 said:
What's the minimum level you should be at to beat the final boss?
To avoid getting an accuracy penalty level
. The game doesn't say it but the final boss is level

Sadist

slaughterking said:
More or less in the center of the area. It's a big...fortress on a hill. You can't really miss it.
Oh haha, I meant how do I get in via the rear entrance? I have the key and all...

jgwhiteus

My copy from 365 games arrived today (I'm in NYC) - they shipped it out two Tuesdays ago, so it took exactly two weeks to arrive here (shipping was free). Really looking forward to jumping in - I just finished DQVII last week, so now I can devote my full attention to this. Great to see so many positive impressions in this thread.

Sadist said:
Oh haha, I meant how do I get in via the rear entrance? I have the key and all...
If you go south from one of the quick travel points
there is a small sloped hill you can go up. That'll eventually get you there

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, and some people were wondering the other day where Unfinished Battle plays in the game, I think it plays
after the mines under Colony 6, in the cutscene/battle with the metal faced mechon with the claws.
And if you wait long enough it doesn't repeat, it just transitions into one of the standard battle themes.

JerkShep

Finally arrived at Valak Mountains after 60 hours of playtime, I'll probably hit 100 hours before the end lol. I've already done A LOT of subquests though. The battle system is starting to become really interesting, I'm trying to use every character but for now my favorite remain Shulk and Melia, especially the latter is really fun to play (and overpowered :D).

thats the only super fun jump i have found so far, other then the occasional cliff dive into a lake

i'm a 1/4 through my 3rd playthrough, and i'm barely 2.5 hours in! hopefully i can get under my 13 hour goal

still trying to level up as much as I can, want to tackle these ultimate guys i've seen over level 100, but it doesn't seem there is much to fight when you are around level 85.

also, has anyone come across Bionis' Right Elbow? It's in valak mountain i believe but cannot for the live of me find it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My copy arrived! Yay! (ordered from GAME--it must've gotten held up at the border along with my copy of Tetris Battle Gaiden which also finally got here)

But it's at my boyfriend's place! Nooooo... No major loss; I won't be able to play it until the weekend anyway.

quinntendopower said:
thats the only super fun jump i have found so far, other then the occasional cliff dive into a lake

i'm a 1/4 through my 3rd playthrough, and i'm barely 2.5 hours in! hopefully i can get under my 13 hour goal

still trying to level up as much as I can, want to tackle these ultimate guys i've seen over level 100, but it doesn't seem there is much to fight when you are around level 85.

also, has anyone come across Bionis' Right Elbow? It's in valak mountain i believe but cannot for the live of me find it.

Did you already fight the giant mandarin atop the Spiral peak in Gaur Plains? I know he's a Lvl 90. Also check Makna Forest. Theres a large T Rex around the entrance to Frontier Village thats probably an adequate level for you to conquer as well

Dascu

quinntendopower said:
The Telethia in Alcamoth are all in the lvl85-90 region.

KarmaCow

Just reached the final point of no return, going to leave a seperate save for that so the boss isn't a complete push over.

Now to wait for the bombcast to clear out inventory and crafting.

Also, end game spoilers and what not.

What is the point of Fiora's Ether Gear? It looks the best so I want to use it but Ether seems rather pointless considering her skills. Her Speed Gear so far is amazing stat wise, but having her show off her dime slot in that cutscene against Zanza didn't really work with the scene.

Zornica

Banned
minor endgame spoiler / question

got a quest which tells me to find a boy named teelan... again -_-. have been looking for hours all over eryth sea, but could't find him. anyone knows where he is?
also completed monado 1,2,3 and 5, but somehow i cant find any materials for monado #4. maybe an area hint please? :)

Hiltz

I'm at level 44 and 62 hours in.

Got
Melia to learn Starlight Kick
and did a bunch of side quests and finally upgraded
Colony 6 to level 1 status and received the portable gem machine

In a quest at Colony 9's
Ether Mine, I found one of the kids that got lost but there (kokori or something like that) 2nd kid named Nikita that I haven't been able to find yet, any idea where ? The other kid was inside the area where the nopon merchant is at.

Hiltz said:
I'm at level 44 and 62 hours in.

Got
Melia to learn Starlight Kick
and did a bunch of side quests and finally upgraded
Colony 6 to level 1 status and received the portable gem machine

In a quest at Colony 9's
Ether Mine, I found one of the kids that got lost but there (kokori or something like that) 2nd kid named Nikita that I haven't been able to find yet, any idea where ? The other kid was inside the area where the nopon merchant is at.

Nikita is
outside of the mine, like where the drainage pipe entrance is. Go to the lower level of Splintered Path and she'll be there getting beat up by a Lv30 Volff, Hode or Bunnite. Not sure, but it something nasty and easy. just dont fall off the edge broski

KarmaCow said:
Also, end game spoilers and what not.

What is the point of Fiora's Ether Gear? It looks the best so I want to use it but Ether seems rather pointless considering her skills. Her Speed Gear so far is amazing stat wise, but having her show off her dime slot in that cutscene against Zanza didn't really work with the scene.
Good question
Its outclassed by speed for sure but a few of her artes are Ether based including final cross (which is also lightning element) so it isn't totally pointless even if it is not the "optimal" way to play her.

KarmaCow

Starwolf_UK said:
Good question
Its outclassed by speed for sure but a few of her artes are Ether based including final cross (which is also lightning element) so it isn't totally pointless even if it is not the "optimal" way to play her.
Yea there are a couple but even then, having a faster attack + aggro down seems more useful. Final Cross has what, a 2 minute cooldown? Having her attack more, giving more chance to crit and build the party gauge for chain attacks to use Final Cross outside of the cooldown seems more useful. Though I'm not sure if Speed Shift's Haste stacks beyond the 100%(?) limit when using Haste gems so having Haste VI on the gear might be pointless.

CoolS

Holy Crap at the events and cutscenes on
Prison Island

The part where it was revealed that Fiora is still alive was very strong and even though somebody in here spoiled that because of shitty spoiler tags, I still had goosebumps all over my body. Definitely a very emotional scene, I loved it.

Played almost 7 hours today, equally distributed between story and sidequesting. And I love the Colony 6 quest, so much fun. Will probably go back to a lot of questing and especially gemcrafting tomorrow, might also try to level up some afinities that don't include Shulk :)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Xenoblade GET. Ordered from GAME, finally came today. Also got Pikmin 2 today, from Zaavi. It's an import extravaganza! I bet they buffered up over the long weekend or something, definitely wasn't expecting to get Pikmin at the same time as Xenoblade, its estimate was 15-20 days, and Xenoblade's was just something like 3 (but ended up being a billion).

Anyway, point is: imports take forever. However lost they may seem, odds are HIGHLY in favor of them just being slow as shit.

Now to utterly fail at working either game into my current schedule.

Tathanen said:
Anyway, point is: imports take forever. However lost they may seem, odds are HIGHLY in favor of them just being slow as shit.

Now to utterly fail at working either game into my current schedule.
Trust me: once you start playing Xenoblade, you will find a way to clear the rest of your schedule.

SecretMoblin said:
Trust me: once you start playing Xenoblade, you will find a way to clear the rest of your schedule.

Truism ^

Can someone please make Secret Moblin a member since he's not only been providing copious amounts of information and tips, he's also really been helping quite a bit with the easing of those who are losing their minds over the sloth-like delivery speed of European distributors. My hat's off to you good sir.

I keep telling myself i'm going to import this and Mod my Wii to play it, along with importing WKC Origins, but i never get around to it...gotta do that soon!

JumpingTheGun said:
Truism ^

Can someone please make Secret Moblin a member since he's not only been providing copious amounts of information and tips, he's also really been helping quite a bit with the easing of those who are losing their minds over the sloth-like delivery speed of European distributors. My hat's off to you good sir.
Thanks, but I don't think I've been around long enough for that to happen. All in due time...

LionFranco said:
I keep telling myself i'm going to import this and Mod my Wii to play it, along with importing WKC Origins, but i never get around to it...gotta do that soon!
DoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoIt

Also, because they haven't been posted in a while and some may find these links useful:
A spoiler-free (kind of...) GameFAQs post with the locations and times of the
4th skill tree
quests, an efficient way to grind affinity, and the best way to craft gems.

A master spreadsheet with tons of info on quests, the locations of NPCs, items, unique monsters, etc.

Another spreadsheet with more exact locations of NPCs, what they trade for at different affinity levels, the quests they give, etc.

chaosblade said:
Oh, and some people were wondering the other day where Unfinished Battle plays in the game, I think it plays
after the mines under Colony 6, in the cutscene/battle with the metal faced mechon with the claws.
And if you wait long enough it doesn't repeat, it just transitions into one of the standard battle themes.
Yeah I had a look at the OST tracklist and also the ADX file the game uses. No loop point set which is why it doesn't repeat; 3:07 is the full length of it.

Beat the game. Xenoblade was an absolutely wonderful experience with unprecedented and pathbreaking game design. There's a reasonable amount of minor flaws here and there, but overall it is undoubtedly one of the finest JRPGs this generation has to offer.
I hope one of Monoliths next projects will be of a similar scale.

Gvaz

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
DUDE. thanks for spoilering that out. WHAT THE FUCK?!?!
I didn't spoil anything really. It's an rpg, you get skills and then you get more skills. Did I say how you get them? No, saying you get an ability later that does a thing in no way spoils the story because it's an rpg and you should expect it

Even Xenoblade is no different.

Well I sure am kicking some ass
Makna Forest Lvl38 with Shulk, Dunban and Sharla. Just completely waxed those three Ortugas on Precipice Bridge AND a one of those aggressive giant birds in one battle and I barely lost any health =D God I love this game.

And I appreciate the technical explanation Gvaz but come on, saying theres actual
Monado armor or a skill involving it or whatnot (that Im assuming matches the sword in all its badassness)
is something that I, and Im sure a couple others didnt want to know about just yet.

Ledsen

JumpingTheGun said:
Well I sure am kicking some ass
Makna Forest Lvl38 with Shulk, Dunban and Sharla. Just completely waxed those three Ortugas on Precipice Bridge AND a one of those aggressive giant birds in one battle and I barely lost any health =D God I love this game.

And I appreciate the technical explanation Gvaz but come on, saying theres actual
Monado armor (that Im assuming matches the sword in all its badassness)
is something that I, and Im sure a couple others didnt want to know about just yet.
It's not an armor you wear, it's a skill.

Finalow

finalozzo said:
i would like to know (spoilers near to the end)
- where can i find crystals HP UP level 5?
I'm in the bionis' interior and i can only find aquatic cloak and aura heal lv 5, they suck. =|
- what's the best
monado replica? And is there a big difference from the default one? And when can i find all the materials?
* anyone?

wrowa

What are the pre-conditions for Shulk's
fourth skill tree?

I know that you are supposed to talk to Desiree. But she isn't offering a new quest to me.

I'm pretty far advanced into the game, I've got 4 stars in Colony 9, I have no open quests in Colony 9, and I also can't seem to find any new ones. So what am I missing?

Bennettt2

okay, i'm on lv.79 and still having problems beating Dragon King Alcar on Prison Island. Purge is not working for me and I have maxed out the art. I keep getting spike damage. Does anybody know any monsters that drop anti-spike gems?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
wrowa said:
What are the pre-conditions for Shulk's
fourth skill tree?

I know that you are supposed to talk to Desiree. But she isn't offering a new quest to me.

I'm pretty far advanced into the game, I've got 4 stars in Colony 9, I have no open quests in Colony 9, and I also can't seem to find any new ones. So what am I missing?
Talk to every named NPC in Colony 9 twice+, so you keep gaining affinity. Also make sure you have gone through Jackson's quest line too.

wrowa

pelicansurf said:
Talk to every named NPC in Colony 9 twice+, so you keep gaining affinity. Also make sure you have gone through Jackson's quest line too.
And... how do I activate Jackson's quest line? He's just talking about the sky, lol.

Zornica

Banned
finalozzo said:
* anyone?
if you've got
k6 nature
rebuilt at max, you should be able to gather some lvl 5 crystals somewhere in the
ethermine
. look for the watercrystals(blue), save and collect, reload if they aren't hp.

@second question

endgamespoiler -
those 5 monados got different stats, some are better for fighting, one is for defense, another one does somesthing to your topple arts (i cant remember what vanea said)
imho the agni monado is the best one (think it was number 3?), but number 5 has by far the best design. you get the materials from nearly every lvl 80+ enemy you encountered throughout the game. (bionis leg, sator marsh, k6, valak mountains, new tephra area,...)
cant tell you more, i am still looking for monado #4 myself.

KarmaCow

Bennettt2 said:
okay, i'm on lv.79 and still having problems beating Dragon King Alcar on Prison Island. Purge is not working for me and I have maxed out the art. I keep getting spike damage. Does anybody know any monsters that drop anti-spike gems?

An easy way to do it without using anti-spike gems is just keep it in topple state. The aura is inactive whiles it's down AFAIK. I did it with Fiora since her Double Attack = crits skill means she builds the party gauge almost immediately after using it but it should be fine with someone like Dunban.

Reveirg

InsertNameHere said:
The only bad thing about this game is how torn I am between continuing the story and trying to do every quest.

This. Definitely.

I'm at 200 completed quests, just before reaching
Sword Valley
. I feel like I should've concentrated on the story a bit more. 55 hours into the game and everything seems less fresh.

At least the story is starting to pick up after a relatively dull segment (
I'm referring to the whole Alcamoth thing
)

Top Bottom