• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

mandiller

InsertNameHere said:
Stuff like the biscuits, people only show up at certain times... I think he's around in the evening. There will be a red ! on your map showing something important for a quest, like a person you need to talk to or an item you need to pick up. As for enemy quests, I usually try to get as many as possible and then while exploring or continuing the story I usually fulfill them along the way. Sometimes the quest screen gives you a hint as to what part of the map they're on.

DMPrince said:
you have to check the affinity page. some people are there at a certain time.

Thanks! It seems a little unweildly but I'll persist. I'm enjoying the game regardless though. It's about time there was an RPG of this calibre on the Wii.

Dragon

Banned
Played four and a half hours today, got to level 12 right after
the attack on Colony 9
. Enjoyed just randomly exploring the area and getting my butt handed to me by a couple of monsters. I have to say that this game is just extremely streamlined and it seems that it really lets you get what you want out of it. The sheer overwhelming number of quests that are available right away are great and the way they notify you as you get items for certain quests is also great. I think games have had all of these features before but just never as well put together as this game.

I do have to say that even though I think I have a decent HDTV (55 inch Viera ST30) for SDTV content it is a little jarring going from watching my roommate play Deus Ex on the 360 to playing this (mostly because he's just a graphics whore). The only other thing that made me wince was the jump animation. It actually cracks me up now.

ramyeon

Just over 13 hours in, level 27 and just arrived in
the Satorl Marshes... They looked terrible during the day but it became night and I was blown away, no lie. I feel like I've been going through a lot quicker now I guess mostly because of that whole Ether Mine set piece which took a long time. Not sure how I felt about it. It was pretty epic but the exploration was a pain and it was a bit dragged on. Dunban showing up was a nice surprise and I'm playing him as my main. I like him but I feel bad for kicking Reyn out of the party :lol his talent art is pretty neat with the ability to deal out quite a lot of damage. His clothes look so out of place next to all the wacky armour my other guys are wearing though lol

I think I might take some time off the story and head back to Colony 9 and Gaur Plains to see if any new quests have opened up and finish off some leftover ones.

Bennettt2

I used to think Final Fantasies were the pinnacle of JRPGs, no, rpgs in general (although I am a bit biased towards Japanese art direction). With this game, that view has just been thrown out the window. I can't believe how much this game does right - the story, the characters, the battle system, the variety in environments, the epic scale, and the music.

I bought a Wii just for this game. For me, not the best RPG I've played but the best game I have played.

I just got to Satorl Marshes too, Dunban went straight into my party. I also felt sorry for kicking Reyn out haha..... but oh well lol.

Just for fun too I replayed the previous mine area CS and boss fight etc with Japanese voices on (hadn't tried them before that), while I do enjoy the charm of the English ones the Japanese ones were pretty nice too, felt very, I dunno, natural. I watch Anime in Japanese though so that maybe why. Will stick to English still but ya.

guek

Banned
so...tried loading this with gecko and it comes up black and white with the image pushed down the screen...

...help?

mr2xxx

Banned
Does affection or whatever is called between the characters matter for the ending?
And I just found out you can link different character skills, can someone give me a rundown on this.

KarmaCow

mr2xxx said:
And I just found out you can link different character skills, can someone give me a rundown on this.

The higher the affinity between two characters, the more slots that are available.

There are two limitations on what skills can be borrowed. It must be same shape as a the slot and you need enough Affinity Coins for each skill. You get coins from each level and killing a uniquely named monster for the first time, so the limit is 255 (?) on a first playthrough. Coins aren't permanently spent, if you unequip a skill the coin cost is refunded.

mr2xxx

Banned
KarmaCow said:
The higher the affinity between two characters, the more slots that are available.

There are two limitations on what skills can be borrowed. It must be same shape as a the slot and you need enough Affinity Coins for each skill. You get coins from each level and killing a uniquely named monster for the first time, so the limit is 255 (?) on a first playthrough. Coins aren't permanently spent, if you unequip a skill the coin cost is refunded.

Man this game is too deep. Having a lot of fun, just wish the quests were a little bit more elaborate.

Dmax3901

So
Juju has just crashed his buggy on the bridge and continued on foot
. Just wondering how long I have till all the stopwatch quests I got from the
Refugee Camp
are no longer doable.

Sorry for spoiler tags but I figure just in case.

M-PG71C

So I finally had some time to really sink into it and motherfuck, is this game truly amazing or what. I have not played a single RPG this generation that has impressed me. The game doesn't hold your hand, it gives you enough of a tutorial to figure things out and then it throws you in. Far different than say, FFXIII where the whole damn game is a tutorial stuck in a FMV.

The field and scope is truly beautiful. It reminds me of the first time I popped in Oblivon back in the day, except I really feel this game is has a far better artistic direction than it. In some ways, it really feels a lot bigger and its impressive. The battle system simply makes sense and there's no annoying break or transition screen. Its very seamless and fast.

The VO is entertaining, its defintely "European"...and I like it. Its fitting. If hell froze over and the American version popped up and it had new VO, I wouldn't like it.

And finally, the OST is simply perfect and divine in every way possible.

When this generation started, I really thought the best RPGs were going to be on the HD twins. 2011 came and the best damn one is on the Wii. I should've known, Monolith Software never disappoints. Among all their games they have made between PS2/GC/DS/Wii, this is by far the finest damn thing they have ever released.

I am really going to love to see what they are going to do with the Wii U.

Dmax3901 said:
So
Juju has just crashed his buggy on the bridge and continued on foot
. Just wondering how long I have till all the stopwatch quests I got from the
Refugee Camp
are no longer doable.

Sorry for spoiler tags but I figure just in case.
You have a bit longer (several hours, a dungeon). You'll know exactly when those quests are about to become unavailable. The prompt is quite clear.

Oxx

Nocturnowl said:
Since someone mentioned best music...
I'd like to go all out with my adoration for various tracks in this game but since a lot of people are still playing i'll just mention two. Mandatory avoid youtube comment sections for potential spoilers but you likely already knew that.

Satorl Marsh Night
Absolutely blew me away, it was unexpected and it was glorious.

Yeah, the night music is great. So much better than the awful stuff that plays during the day.

jgwhiteus

Ha, first time I really jumped into the water around Colony 9 and learned that pretty much every single part of the world is explorable, with new places (and high-leveled monsters) to discover, and that the environments, even for the towns, are huge. Really impressed at the expanse and amount of detail that went into this, and I'm starting to get a hang of the battle system and menus.

I thought I would never ever say this about a Wii game but the graphics in
Makna Forest
are almost to detailed. Also that area is kinda confusing too.

and holy crap at
nopon village
. at first i though "oh well, that's pretty small" until I discovered that the entire
big ass tree is the village with tons of levels and hundrets of Nopons inside
. goddamn 0_o

iamaustrian said:
and holy crap at
nopon village
. at first i though "oh well, that's pretty small" until I discovered that the entire
. goddamn 0_o
I'm quite lost in there.

mclem

McNum said:
Also, a somewhat embarrassing question, the quest "A Thank You" where I just need to exit the mine and go left to find something good. I can't find it. I exit and go left, and there's a small area with a tree in it, but no ! letting me dig.

A lot of people seem to miss that the guy who gives you that quest
is from Colony 6
. In other words,
what he regards as the entrance, you regard as the exit

mclem

iamaustrian said:
and holy crap at
nopon village
. goddamn 0_o

Fun thing about
Frontier Village
-
You know those individual Nopons for scenery you see dotted around on balconies? If you can get to the balcony - usually with a careful jump from somewhere above - you can talk to them, too.

Dascu

iamaustrian said:
I thought I would never ever say this about a Wii game but the graphics in
Makna Forest
are almost to detailed. Also that area is kinda confusing too.

and holy crap at
nopon village
. goddamn 0_o
Don't forget to check out the area around the tree. Plenty of NPCs there as well.

ramyeon said:
Still discovering new places in Gaur Plains... It's a bit daunting to start on exploring the Marshes haha.

when I first set foot on Satori Marsh at nighttime, with all the fog and splendid effects, I thought "yeeeeah this has "dangerous" written all over it, no way Imma exploring it all"

well, it is dangerous alright. but I'm exploring :p

rezuth

Wow, people think this game is THAT good? I guess it gets better after the initial hour. I'll give it another try then.

The S
atori Marsh
has a few "weather effects".
Daylight and fog.

McNum said:
Now when does Desiree cough up the quest I really want?
For Shulk's 4th skill tree?
Do I need 4 stars for that? I got some outstanding quests, so it can be done. I'll need to get practically everywhere up to 4 to get all of these quests, won't I? That'll be... fun.
You might do but the known pre-req is the quests involving
Jackson who is found lazing about in the residential district at daytime, early afternoon is a good time to find him as stops hanging round a tree down an alcove then
if after doing those quests you've still not got it then you know the answer was yes. As for the affinities in general I can cofrim
Sharla's 5th skill stree needs between 4 and 5 for that particular area
but can't say the same for any of the others.

CoolS

rezuth said:
Wow, people think this game is THAT good? I guess it gets better after the initial hour. I'll give it another try then.

You played it for an hour? What did you see? not much i assume :)

Kaizer

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
when I first set foot on Satori Marsh at nighttime, with all the fog and splendid effects, I thought "yeeeeah this has "dangerous" written all over it, no way Imma exploring it all"

well, it is dangerous alright. but I'm exploring :p
I just got to Satori Marsh and honestly, I feel a little intimidated by its scale, the frequent amount of high level monsters roaming around, etc. Still loving the game but damn, this area is gonna make a man out of me lol.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Kaizer said:
I just got to Satori Marsh and honestly, I feel a little intimidated by its scale, the frequent amount of high level monsters roaming around, etc. Still loving the game but damn, this area is gonna make a man out of me lol.

You'll absolutely love the next one
0:)

Oxx

There's so much meat to this game. I'm 30 hours in and I'm only just getting to grips with the skill-linking and gem-crafting. And I only just discovered the Collectapedia.

Ledsen

rezuth said:
Hahahahahaha! You played for an hour and are already condemning it? :D

Fritz

Kaizer said:

Exactly the same. I basically ran right through it. Now, I have to go back.

the-iek

Is there any way to get Squall Elements for the
reconstruction quest
after the events? After looking for them for an hour I read you'd have to hunt some
Nebulas
found on
Prison Island, but of course the old Island isn't there anymore and there don't seem to be Nebulas on the new one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Can someone tell me what I need to do to get the Colony 6
reconstruction going? I had a few starting quests, but then no new ones popped up for like 20 hours. Do I need to be at a certain point in the story to get them?

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
the-iek said:
Is there any way to get Squall Elements for the
reconstruction quest
after the events? After looking for them for an hour I read you'd have to hunt some
Nebulas
found on
Prison Island, but of course the old Island isn't there anymore and there don't seem to be Nebulas on the new one.

Look for Bono nebulas (not to be mistaken for the Buono nebulas) in Eryth sea. You can find some in the island where you can drop down to fight a unique nebula.

Need help with the big quest chain of the
red pollen orbs. I found the evidence and now I need to find a secret location in Alcamoth but I can't find it :( I think I know where it is but don't know how to get there. In the big hallway of the palace, there's a small part on the map that looks the same as the part where the teleporter is to go to the room with the big table, so I think there's another teleporter there, but the "door" is closed :( Anyway, I give up trying to find it, that place is to big for that :p so if anyone can tell me where it is it would save me a lot of time.

Top Bottom