• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Hiltz

I'm 72 hours in at level 46. Finished the majority of quests in previous areas and have moved on to
Eryth Sea and Alcamoth. It was refreshing change to go through the small-sized reef areas with convenient teleport devices around. I did quest to save the worker and restore the light house and headed back to Alcamoth to see Melia and the Emperor/King. Also, restored Colony 6 reconstruction to level 2.

Hiltz

dock said:
What can I trade for the items? I've tried the trade system twice, and I chose some items, but I don't think they accepted the trade. The message they gave was vague too, and I had no idea of what items they wanted in exchange. :/

I think you need to trade an npc something that's equal to or higher in sale value in order to have them accept your offer to trade. If you give them something more valuable than what their item for trade is worth, then they'll give you an extra item for free.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
RPGCrazied said:
I got this:

Then this:

WTF I guess I got the shitty customer service person:

Thanks for your email

I am really sorry that you have not received your order.

This was sent to you on 15/08/2011

Delivery usually takes 21 working days.

We need to allow a further 5 days for your delivery to still arrive before this can been classed as lost in the post.

If you have not received this by the 20/09/2011 we can then start to trace this for you.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me

Regards,

Hason Ali.

McNum

Starwolf_UK said:
You might do but the known pre-req is the quests involving
Jackson who is found lazing about in the residential district at daytime, early afternoon is a good time to find him as stops hanging round a tree down an alcove then
if after doing those quests you've still not got it then you know the answer was yes. As for the affinities in general I can cofrim
Sharla's 5th skill stree needs between 4 and 5 for that particular area
but can't say the same for any of the others.
Huh, this is weird. I'm at four stars now, and did two quests for
Jackson, who is now a cook. Still no skill tree quest. At least I've gotten good at finding her now. (22:00 on the walkway above the Gem Man's place).
I'm running a bit low on quests in Colony 9, now, so... any clue on what else could be blocking? Or have I just not done all the quests for
Jackson
yet?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
wrowa said:
Where exactly are you? Has the
reconstruction already begun?

If not
you've got to talk to O-something in the Colony 6 area. He'll give you the quest to defeat some monsters on the bridge, so that the people from the Refugee Camp can come back to the colony. After you have defeated the monsters you have to report back to Juju in the camp; he will ask you if they should abandon the camo now or later (apart of the Earnest quests all quests will expire)

[Colony 6 question]
Yeah, that already happened. I also already got the
first mission from the woman who said she needs it for a new pharmacy, saved the two boys, helped out the guy who needed to show his love for that woman and a few others. But nothing else showed up, and I cant see any "reconstruction" work, and the only work somewhat related to reconstruction was the pharmacy one.

So what am I missing to
continue the reconstruction missions? Currently at Eryth Sea

RPGCrazied

A Human Becoming said:
WTF I guess I got the shitty customer service person:

After seeing your response and mine, these are automated. Mine was word for word, but dates changed.

I just said my patience has ran out, and I want a refund. That's what I got back. Then I got an email saying in 5 days I should get my refund.

wrowa

Toma said:
[Colony 6 question]
Yeah, that already happened. I also already got the
first mission from the woman who said she needs it for a new pharmacy, saved the two boys, helped out the guy who needed to show his love for that woman and a few others. But nothing else showed up, and I cant see any "reconstruction" work, and the only work somewhat related to reconstruction was the pharmacy one.

So what am I missing to
continue the reconstruction missions? Currently at Eryth Sea
You have to speak to Juju, everything else will be obvious after that. Really. You apparently missed something quite important^^

MicH

Okay, are Soft Sea Cucumbers super rare in
Makna Forest
? I've been scouring the area for blue orbs for an hour and NONE.. and I need 4 for a quest :(

Also I seem to be missing a collectable there..

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
wrowa said:
You have to speak to Juju, everything else will be obvious after that. Really. You apparently missed something quite important^^

... I was so used to speaking to people with (!) over their heads that I didnt bother clicking him again and waited for someone with a (!) to appear.

...I mean... seriously, he would have deserved one in this case.

Lumine

I'm about 7-8 hours in. I'm really liking it so far. I don't think I've enjoyed a single jRPG this much actually since the PSX. I gotta admit I haven't played that many lately, but still... FFXIII wishes it was this game. :p
Story is a little weak though, pretty standard jRPG fare I guess, but at least it feels competent and consistent enough to make it still enjoyable.
Also, why didn't that damn kid give me his
buggy!
Or am I still going to get it later on? That would be quite handy, I'm surprised how huge Bionis' Leg area is.

Oh well, can't wait to continue on. :) Let's not lose our heads though!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
RPGCrazied said:
I just said my patience has ran out, and I want a refund. That's what I got back. Then I got an email saying in 5 days I should get my refund.
What patience? Their eMail indicates that delivery could take 21 business days, if your package was shipped on 08/15 (?) that would make 09/14 as the 21 business days mark. If I recall you were panicking about it only a week after the delivery date.

Your package is still on its way. Do you plan to return to sender once it arrives since you've gotten a refund?

RPGCrazied

No. I will however tell them I received it, and they are more than welcome to charge me again. They still have my details in their system. But for her to give me a refund so willingly assumes her investigation proves it's lost or was sent back to them.

FatCat

Really enjoying this game, both main quest and all the side quests. There is a really calm feeling to this game due to the OST and the exploration aspect of the game.

However I'm stuck at
Valak Mountain at the boss battle. Any tips (level, armour, gems, etc)?

McNum

FatCat said:
Really enjoying this game, both main quest and all the side quests. There is a really calm feeling to this game due to the OST and the exploration aspect of the game.

However I'm stuck at
Valak Mountain at the boss battle. Any tips (level, armour, gems, etc)?
Valak Mountain boss... small version of big thing with claws, right? Yeah, he hits hard. If he can hit. Play Shulk, Dunban, Sharla against him. Dunban will keep aggro most of the time, but he'll fold pretty fast against the relentless attacks. Which is where Shulk comes in. Spam Monado Speed on Dunban and Backslash the boss when it turns away, but let Shulk autoattack as much as possible to charge up the Monado. Sharla with her healing, damage immunity and debuff protection will handle what gets through. If Shulk manages to tear the boss away from Dunban, just spam Monado Speed on Shulk. If you get a vision that you really need to stop, don't be afraid to use Shulk's Battle Soul to sacrifice HP for Monado charge. Also, remember to use Monado Enchant, the boss is still a Mechon.

Other than that, be sure to be within 1-2 levels of the boss and wear the best Physical defense armor you've got, but don't sacrifice
Dunban's
agility too much.

Nintendo's latest Euro Newsletter does not have one mention of Xenoblade. It has loads of stuff about others games already out, and on the way (Star Fox, Spectre's Call, Driver DS, Inazuma Eleven, and Solatorobo), but nothing about Xenoblade.

That's not a good sign for those waiting or a restock :/

Dascu

Keyser Soze said:
Nintendo's latest Euro Newsletter does not have one mention of Xenoblade. It has loads of stuff about others games already out, and on the way (Star Fox, Spectre's Call, Driver DS, Inazuma Eleven, and Solatorobo), but nothing about Xenoblade.

That's not a good sign for those waiting or a restock :/
My email mentioned (on the bottom) that I could download the soundtrack if I registered the game before 30th of September.

Dascu said:
My email mentioned (on the bottom) that I could download the soundtrack if I registered the game before 30th of September.

I did not get that piece, weird. Maybe the newsletter is custom - based on what games you registered? I always though it was a mass mail thing.

Vamphuntr

Can someone tell me if I'm close to the end? I'm in the
Sword Valley
and I'm starting to get really fed up about the game. Seems like the only way to make decent amount of exp at this point is do to quests and I'm really tired to be a slave to the game's random generator. There's really a quantity over quality thing going on in this game. I must have over 300 quests in my log right now and to be fair, maybe 10-15 of those were really interesting. The exploration of huge areas gets old after 40 hours of gameplay, especially when you know that there isn't any thing worthwhile to find except secret zones which will give you some bonus exp and more unique monsters and that you know you'll have to run back and forth in the area to find drops and loots. My biggest disappointment is that when you finally find some mystical ruins to explore and that you finally trigger by luck the quest to open it, it ends up being a 15 sec linear hallway with a unique monster inside.

Dascu

Vamphuntr said:
Can someone tell me if I'm close to the end? I'm in the
Sword Valley
and I'm starting to get really fed up about the game. Seems like the only way to make decent amount of exp at this point is do to quests and I'm really tired to be a slave to the game's random generator. There's really a quantity over quality thing going on in this game. I must have over 300 quests in my log right now and to be fair, maybe 10-15 of those were really interesting. The exploration of huge areas gets old after 40 hours of gameplay, especially when you know that there isn't any thing worthwhile to find except secret zones which will give you some bonus exp and more unique monsters and that you know you'll have to run back and forth in the area to find drops and loots. My biggest disappointment is that when you finally find some mystical ruins to explore and that you finally trigger by luck the quest to open it, it ends up being a 15 sec linear hallway with a unique monster inside.
...I guess you'll be disappointed to hear then that you're not even 2/3rds in, story-wise.

Manaka

Alright, finally dusted off my Wii and bought it with the Controller.
Only played for an hour and haven't seen that much but at least I can say that I like the general feeling.

AzureSky

game zones are incredible huge in this game. There are a lot of mmo's with smaller and less interesting zones to explore.
I was actually a bit intimidated when i left gaur plane and thought about the next zone and how much time it would take to explore all of it. Points of interest all over the map, unique monsters, weather changes and some monsters are only found when certain weather / daytime conditions are met. You can spend hours and hours doing nothing else but searching every nook and canny for hidden goodies, thats crazy ...
And then there is a story which so far (10 hours) isnt the best what i have seen, but there is greatness in it.

If i didnt know it better, i would say monolith tried to make an mmo but half way through changed it to single player and left most of the concepts unchanged. What they got is some kind of unique creature. Not a MMORPG but not a classic JRPG either ... maybe a MSORPG? Massive Singeplayer Offline Role Playing Game ;)

the-iek

Dr. Ecco said:
Squall Element spoiler:
Look for Bono nebulas (not to be mistaken for the Buono nebulas) in Eryth sea. You can find some in the island where you can drop down to fight a unique nebula.
Ah thanks, that worked! :)

wrowa

Vamphuntr said:
Oh god... Seems like the collect-a-thon will continue for a while :(
Just don't do the collect-a-thon part of it? Gaining experience by killing the monsters of the recent area is quicker than doing quests most of the time. Considering how much time you have to spent in order to solve a quest they seldomly pay off.

Dascu

Vamphuntr said:
Oh god... Seems like the collect-a-thon will continue for a while :(
So don't do quests? Only do the quests you like?

I mean, you're not forced to do any of them. I, and many others, find them to be a more enjoyable way to get EXP, but you can still play it like any other jRPG and fight enemies for EXP instead.

Vamphuntr

Dascu said:
So don't do quests? Only do the quests you like?

I mean, you're not forced to do any of them. I, and many others, find them to be a more enjoyable way to get EXP, but you can still play it like any other jRPG and fight enemies for EXP instead.

It doesn't work this way sadly. XP form mobs is scaled to your level. Monolith really want to throw you into the purgatory of quests to get any decent amount of XP. I'm just about the level of monsters in the area and the xp they give is really low compared to those of the awful fetch quests. I need to do them anyway because they've decided that you need 4 stars affinity to get the good quests to unlock skill lines. I've done terribly boring and annoying things in games before (collecting the feathers in AC2, all the S links stuff in the Persona games, collecting bazaar items in FFXII) but these quests take the crown.

Vamphuntr said:
It doesn't work this way sadly. XP form mobs is scaled to your level. Monolith really want to throw you into the purgatory of quests to get any decent amount of XP. I'm just about the level of monsters in the area and the xp they give is really low compared to those of the awful fetch quests. I need to do them anyway because they've decided that you need 4 stars affinity to get the good quests to unlock skill lines. I've done terribly boring and annoying things in games before (collecting the feathers in AC2, all the S links stuff in the Persona games, collecting bazaar items in FFXII) but these quests take the crown.
If you're at roughly the same level as mobs in a given area, then there are almost always uniques nearby that are a few levels higher. Kill those during a chain attack and you can rack up the EXP pretty quick.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I have a theory that Monolith actually shrunk the characters to make the world seem larger.

Have you seen the disproportionate size of the trees and almost everything in the game??

I love the fact that monsters/beasts seem to be part of the world; the first time I went into Bionis leg and the cutscene (real time) showed the Ponios running in the field, I said holy shit!.

Every monster is connected somehow to the world, there are monsters that like being on the river banks, other are in the marshes, horses prefer fields; there are parts with only one type of monster (like a lair of birds or wolves), but have them in big numbers.

There's even interactivity (only a little though) in the more intelligent monster; some monsters put a sentry on the entrance to their lair, and when they see you, they run and bring all of the warrior monsters to fight you; there are some that are trying to ambush you and are hidden below the ground or waiting for you to be in a cliff (fucking cliff giant bird almost killed me of a heart attack).

I also like the fact that monsters are more like wild beasts than bad guys, monsters and the bad dudes have nothing in common; so you can skip most of the fights (I only fight if I need to).

Also monsters have different reactions, some (most) are not seeking to fight, some will join a fight if there is another monster fighting nearby, some only react to sound and are blind (I don't know why spiders are blind in this game, but whatever), some will attack if they see you, and others if they feel the use of magic (ether).

I really hope Nintendo makes an HD remake or sequel to this game on the WiiU, there are only a few faults with this game (needs bestiary, collect more completionist data (map percentage, etc), sort the info better (location of characters on affinity map), etc), but it has them, and probably the reason why NOA didn't bring it is because if they did, they would have to fix many (NOA almost always makes some kickass tutorials in their localized games, for example, which are not found in the original, and this game's tutorial would need a lot of work).

Also, the WiiU tablet would be perfect for this game, I could use a real time map while continue to run in game (it's slow to switch to the map) and I would definitely love playing the game while my wife watches TV. Also, they should allow to switch Artes with the shoulder buttons.

MicH

manueldelalas said:
I have a theory that Monolith actually shrunk the characters to make the world seem larger.

Have you seen the disproportionate size of the trees and almost everything in the game??

I love the fact that monsters/beasts seem to be part of the world; the first time I went into Bionis leg and the cutscene (real time) showed the Ponios running in the field, I said holy shit!.

Every monster is connected somehow to the world, there are monsters that like being on the river banks, other are in the marshes, horses prefer fields; there are parts with only one type of monster (like a lair of birds or wolves), but have them in big numbers.

There's even interactivity (only a little though) in the more intelligent monster; some monsters put a sentry on the entrance to their lair, and when they see you, they run and bring all of the warrior monsters to fight you; there are some that are trying to ambush you and are hidden below the ground or waiting for you to be in a cliff (fucking cliff giant bird almost killed me of a heart attack).

I also like the fact that monsters are more like wild beasts than bad guys, monsters and the bad dudes have nothing in common; so you can skip most of the fights (I only fight if I need to).

Also monsters have different reactions, some (most) are not seeking to fight, some will join a fight if there is another monster fighting nearby, some only react to sound and are blind (I don't know why spiders are blind in this game, but whatever), some will attack if they see you, and others if they feel the use of magic (ether).
I was fighting some Orlugas accompanied by Hodes in
Makna Forest
and when I attacked an Orluga, one of the small Hodes immediately ran towards a lvl 98
Deinos Saurus
to warn him about the attack. He turned around and ran towards me so I had to flee. I thought that was amazing attention to detail - to actually connect the different kind of monsters together.

Dascu said:
I saw a Tirkin (sp? one of those birdy things) play around with/getting chased by a Caterpile once.
Yeah, later on in the game I saw an ant chasing around a bird. And the Hodes love to work together with the mobs around them. I also get a chuckle whenever the mobs do a chain attack. Something about it amuses me.

Gvaz

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
I recently played AC1 and AC2 and I'm working on ACB now this year, and you're crazy if you think collectings the feathers/flags in AC2 is better than these quests.

Vamphuntr

Gvaz said:
I recently played AC1 and AC2 and I'm working on ACB now this year, and you're crazy if you think collectings the feathers/flags in AC2 is better than these quests.

Collecting the feathers is boring but simple. You're not a slave to random algorithms. They are always there you only need to have "access" to it. Once collected you put them back in your box in the villa, that's it. In Xenoblade you need to hope the game will give you the items or rare drops you want. Hope the items is not only available or dropped during a specific wheather, find the person that gave you the quest to return it. Then you need to warp yourself between landmark to make them respawn over and over again to get what you want. Even with a guide it's tedious. There are probably 5 or 6 times as much quests as feathers to collect in AC2.

Kaizer

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
Yeah, later on in the game I saw an ant chasing around a bird. And the Hodes love to work together with the mobs around them. I also get a chuckle whenever the mobs do a chain attack. Something about it amuses me.
Yeah the mobs being able to perform chain attacks tripped me out the first time I saw it lol. On the subject of the monsters, I'm trying to do the
Exile Fortress
sidequest in Satori Marsh and when I reached the main fortress/cave, the sight of all the
Ignas
lined up like knights was awesome & terrifying.

Another cool moment I had the other day was in the area tucked away in the corner on
Bionis' Leg, West of Raguel Lake
where all the various
Antol creatures are. I walked up to the altar to get the special item, thinking "This is a pretty neat place" Only to be greeted by the giant mofo who climbs out of the water!
Words can't describe the level of panic I felt at the exact moment. I tried to fight it & had it on the ropes but ultimately just retreated.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Vamphuntr said:
Collecting the feathers is boring but simple. You're not a slave to random algorithms. They are always there you only need to have "access" to it. Once collected you put them back in your box in the villa, that's it. In Xenoblade you need to hope the game will give you the items or rare drops you want. Hope the items is not only available or dropped during a specific wheather, find the person that gave you the quest to return it. Then you need to warp yourself between landmark to make them respawn over and over again to get what you want. Even with a guide it's tedious. There are probably 5 or 6 times as much quests as feathers to collect in AC2.
There are like 500 quests for heaven's sake! you can just do the easy ones and you'll be overleveled very soon. Just don't do the tedious ones if you don't like them.

Seriously, in this game all you have to do is accept every quest and do the ones you feel like doing. They give you experience for everything in this game, sometimes I don't even know why I'm gaining exp points.

MicH

Kaizer said:
Yeah the mobs being able to perform chain attacks tripped me out the first time I saw it lol. On the subject of the monsters, I'm trying to do the
Exile Fortress
sidequest in Satori Marsh and when I reached the main fortress/cave, the sight of all the
Ignas
lined up like knights was awesome & terrifying.
I loved that moment. The "leader"/most dangerous one/highest leveled one is actually sitting in the throne. So cool.

Vamphuntr

manueldelalas said:
There are like 500 quests for heaven's sake! you can just do the easy ones and you'll be overleveled very soon. Just don't do the tedious ones if you don't like them.

Seriously, in this game all you have to do is accept every quest and do the ones you feel like doing. They give you experience for everything in this game, sometimes I don't even know why I'm gaining exp points.

You need to do them if you want all the skill lines as they require a lvl 4 star affinity to get the quest that unlocks them. I want to unlock all the skills and I have to do horrible stuff do it so I have the rights to complain. It's part of the game's package. Same reason why you can complain aout the quests in DQ9 they are also a huge part of the game.

Gvaz

Banned
MicH said:
I loved that moment. The "leader"/most dangerous one/highest leveled one is actually sitting in the throne. So cool.
THat guy is a bitch, he does an aoe sometimes that just rapes.

Anyways, mobs do chain attacks? how can you tell?

Dascu

Gvaz said:
THat guy is a bitch, he does an aoe sometimes that just rapes.

Anyways, mobs do chain attacks? how can you tell?
Red lines pop up between the enemies, just like there's blue lines between your party members when you can do a chain attack.

MicH

Dascu said:
Red lines pop up between the enemies, just like there's blue lines between your party members when you can do a chain attack.
Aaaahhh! That's why the game "slows down" and shows non-vision enemy attacks in almost slow-motion! I've been wondering why that happens sometimes :D

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Vamphuntr said:
You need to do them if you want all the skill lines as they require a lvl 4 star affinity to get the quest that unlocks them. I want to unlock all the skills and I have to do horrible stuff do it so I have the rights to complain. It's part of the game's package. Same reason why you can complain aout the quests in DQ9 they are also a huge part of the game.
I guess the game isn't for you then, what's the point of playing a game if you are not trying to have fun with it? Sell it on EBay, there are other gamers who would love to have the game and have trouble importing it...

Zafir

manueldelalas said:

Regardless. You shouldn't be forced to do them if you want to proceed with the story. You should be able to get enough experience to do the story, just by doing the story. I personally think sidequests shouldn't give XP, instead just give items which could potentially and optionally help you. It would also fix the problem of being overlevelled if you do all of them.

I still really like the game, but it definitely is one my my biggest problems with the game. That and a lot of the character interaction is relegated to the heart to hearts which again, you have to grind for.

Dascu

Gvaz said:
I've never ever noticed that. WTF
It's happened a couple of times to me. All the enemies probably have to be of the same type. I know some Tirkins did it once, and I think some Igna did it too.

Zafir

Dascu said:
It's happened a couple of times to me. All the enemies probably have to be of the same type. I know some Tirkins did it once, and I think some Igna did it too.
Yeah I think they do. I've only had it happen when they're all the same type.

wrowa

Vamphuntr said:
Defeating a couple of monsters that are roughly at your level you will get more experience in a shoter period of time than you would do while doing sidequests. You only get less EXP if you are actually above the monsters -- and in that case I don't understand why you would want to grind to begin with.

MicH

Yep, I think they do, too. I remember having it happen on the Seal Island in
Eryth Sea
where all those igna set up a base.

Top Bottom