• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Gvaz

Banned
PixyJunket said:
An hour of tutorials and cut-scenes is absolutely terrible design. Yet, it's so common these days.
Well when most of the people who play the wii are children...

Not to say that of anyone in here but it's true.

mclem

Out_Of_Ammo said:
Need help with the big quest chain of the
red pollen orbs. I found the evidence and now I need to find a secret location in Alcamoth but I can't find it :( I think I know where it is but don't know how to get there. In the big hallway of the palace, there's a small part on the map that looks the same as the part where the teleporter is to go to the room with the big table, so I think there's another teleporter there, but the "door" is closed :( Anyway, I give up trying to find it, that place is to big for that :p so if anyone can tell me where it is it would save me a lot of time.

It's not there.

Actual location:

On the outside edge of the second floor of the main plaza there's a walkway with little glass-roofed pods on them. It's in one of those at night.

Edit: I should add,
I was unreasonably lucky with this one. During my initial exploration of the city, I happened to be standing in exactly the right pod when night fell. I got a message about being thrown out because it was now member's only, which I recalled once it actually mattered!

duckroll

Gvaz said:

Children actually generally hate tutorials and cutscenes in games. That's why the most popular games among younger audiences are those which are not really heavy of cinematics or story, and the gameplay elements are naturally introduced and learned without obvious prompts and tutorial messages.

@Out_Of_Ammo. You know at night time the part where
the guards say not to bother going there becasuse nothing in there, they are not telling the truth. One of the gazebos is where you find it (if I were to describe that part as a E its about the centre).

mclem said:
It's not there.

Actual location:

On the outside edge of the second floor of the main plaza there's a walkway with little glass-roofed pods on them. It's in one of those at night.

Edit: I should add,
I was unreasonably lucky with this one. During my initial exploration of the city, I happened to be standing in exactly the right pod when night fell. I got a message about being thrown out because it was now member's only, which I recalled once it actually mattered!

Ah k thanks! It would take me a long time to find that, I never go there after dark :p

wrowa

Have I reached the point of no return?
I'm about to enter the Junks airship in order to fly to the Mechonis core

Gvaz said:

Considering how many people in this very thread haven't understood some very basic gameplay stuff ("What? I can warp to other areas too?") the game apparently needs even more tutorial windows! ;o

Gvaz

Banned
duckroll said:
Children actually generally hate tutorials and cutscenes in games. That's why the most popular games among younger audiences are those which are not really heavy of cinematics or story, and the gameplay elements are naturally introduced and learned without obvious prompts and tutorial messages.
Oh hrm. I wouldn't know anything about that, other than the wii seems to be more popular with the younger crowd, since I see a lot of parents buying it not for themselves but for their sub 12 kids.

wrowa

Kaizer said:
I just got to Satori Marsh and honestly, I feel a little intimidated by its scale, the frequent amount of high level monsters roaming around, etc. Still loving the game but damn, this area is gonna make a man out of me lol.
High level monsters?

You aren't supposed to explore Satori Marsh at night, listen to the NPCs ;(

Dascu

wrowa said:
Have I reached the point of no return?
I'm about to enter the Junks airship in order to fly to the Mechonis core
No, but I'd wrap up any quests in Alcamoth if I were you. Don't forget the Red Pollen Quest too (initiated in Frontier Village, eventually ends up in Alcamoth).

You may have also noticed that Agniratha, Mechonis Field and Central Factory have already become inaccessible. But, you'll be able to reach (at least) Central Factory from Mechonis core. So if you still got some stuff to do there, do those then too. Not sure if you can still reach Agniratha or Mechonis Field from Central Factory though.

duckroll

wrowa said:
Considering how many people in this very thread haven't understood some very basic gameplay stuff ("What? I can warp to other areas too?") the game apparently needs even more tutorial windows! ;o

Actually, I think it is much more of a result of over relying on tutorial messages instead. Static tutorials are generally almost always a bad thing in game design. What you want to do is show, not tell. If the game naturally guides players into using and understanding various systems and mechanics, more casual players will learn to appreciate them much quicker.

Tutorial windows don't really benefit anyone. Experienced core gamers are usually familiar enough with game design quirks to try things out on their own, read various messages and explanations buried inside menus or the manual, etc. Less experienced players would feel lost having to read messages which refer to various terms and other sub-systems, and tend to zone out and not pay much attention after a while.

Zelda games are a great example of how the game design itself trains players to learn the game mechanics and the new mechanics of each new weapon/tool, before expanding the use of such tools to solving more complicated puzzles and situations.

Fritz

Maybe I am oldschool but I'd prefer a comprehensive physical manual with a good systematic and a helpful table of content.

wrowa said:
High level monsters?

You aren't supposed to explore Satori Marsh at night, listen to the NPCs ;(

But it's so blant during daytime :(

Carlisle

RPGCrazied said:
I got this:

Then this:
Wow, I can't believe they gave you your money back before the trace was even completed. Will they take the money back once the game arrives, do you think? This kinda shit happens to me all the time when I import. Hell, even the 3DS accessories I ordered from Play-Asia took a couple weeks beyond the "please review your purchase" email I got to get here. I emailed them to complain and they were running a trace when suddenly there it was in my mailbox one day.

A lot of us who ordered from Zavvi/The Hut still haven't gotten our games. Our orders probably just got held up in customs and will be here soon. Just gotta be patient and find other games to fill the agonizing void in the meantime.

Carlisle said:
Wow, I can't believe they gave you your money back before the trace was even completed. Will they take the money back once the game arrives, do you think? This kinda shit happens to me all the time when I import. Hell, even the 3DS accessories I ordered from Play-Asia took a couple weeks beyond the "please review your purchase" email I got to get here. I emailed them to complain and they were running a trace when suddenly there it was in my mailbox one day.

A lot of us who ordered from Zavvi/The Hut still haven't gotten our games. Our orders probably just got held up in customs and will be here soon. Just gotta be patient and find other games to fill the agonizing void in the meantime.

He's probably still going to get it in the mail this week or next and then feel incredibly silly about this whole thing. Methinks the odds of him owning up to that are low.

Antagon

Fritz said:
Maybe I am oldschool but I'd prefer a comprehensive physical manual with a good systematic and a helpful table of content.

But it's so blant during daytime :(

None of those high lvl monsters are aggressive. It's actually safer at night then during the day.

Finalow

well, i can say that this is the jrpg of this gen.
ost and setting are awesome, plot not amazing but good, and the battle system is very nice. I don't like some pcs (shulk above all) but it's not a big deal.

duckroll

Carlisle said:
Wow, I can't believe they gave you your money back before the trace was even completed.

This is pretty standard procedure for any major online retailer. I had a big shipment from Amazon a few years back, which took way, way longer than it should have. I made a complaint, and they sent a second shipment, which arrived before the original one did. Eventually the original shipment arrived too, and I asked the post office to send it back.

ksamedi

finalozzo said:
well, i can say that this is the jrpg of this gen.
ost and setting are awesome, plot not amazing but good, and the battle system is very nice. I don't like some pcs (shulk above all) but it's not a big deal.

I remember the director saying that he wanted to make the main character likable. I find that weird because he is the least likable character of the bunch IMO.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Antagon said:
None of those high lvl monsters are aggressive. It's actually safer at night then during the day.
Yeah, I spent most of my time exploring Satorl at night. It's prettier, and it's easier to get around.

That is definitely the zone that freaked me out the most so far. There's just this oppressive atmosphere of dread and danger, especially during the day. I genuinely don't like being there and can't wait to get back someplace more inviting. Very very effective ambiance in that zone.

MicH

I actually really liked the tutorial windows in this game.

Anyway, just arrived at
Valak Mountains
and I suddenly feel very underleveled :( Man this place is ganging up on me, especially in that stupid Magma cave. Stupid Vangs. Don't like this place :(

Mudo

About 25 hours in, I'm at Satori (Satorl?) Marsh - how far into the game am I currently?
Amazing game btw. I'm having a hard time thinking of the last time I was this completely absorbed by something. Night-time in the marsh, the graphics combined with the music, is just about as magical as it gets!

I wish i had the time to finish this game. Played over 40 hours the week it came out, but i got back to school and now i don't have the time... sigh :(

Ledsen

Mudo said:
About 25 hours in, I'm at Satori (Satorl?) Marsh - how far into the game am I currently?
Amazing game btw. I'm having a hard time thinking of the last time I was this completely absorbed by something. Night-time in the marsh, the graphics combined with the music, is just about as magical as it gets!
From what i've read, about 1/4 in.

Mudo

1/4 the way in? o_O I knew the game was long, but if there is 3 times more "land mass"to explore than I have already seen........christ. lol

Ledsen

Mudo said:
1/4 the way in? o_O I knew the game was long, but if there is 3 times more "land mass"to explore than I have already seen........christ. lol
Yeah satorl marsh isn't that far in, really. If you don't do many sidequests you can get there pretty quickly. I'm 48 hours in and apparently about halfway.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toma said:
Can someone tell me what I need to do to get the Colony 6
reconstruction going? I had a few starting quests, but then no new ones popped up for like 20 hours. Do I need to be at a certain point in the story to get them?

Quote for a nice guy to answer.

wrowa

Dascu said:
No, but I'd wrap up any quests in Alcamoth if I were you. Don't forget the Red Pollen Quest too (initiated in Frontier Village, eventually ends up in Alcamoth).

You may have also noticed that Agniratha, Mechonis Field and Central Factory have already become inaccessible. But, you'll be able to reach (at least) Central Factory from Mechonis core. So if you still got some stuff to do there, do those then too. Not sure if you can still reach Agniratha or Mechonis Field from Central Factory though.
Thought that much. I still have some quests open in Agniratha, so I'll probably reload the save file from directly before the Egis fight again. Not a big deal.

Btw. is there a point to gather Central Factory quests? I've only got 6 quests in that area and all of them have been story quests.

Btw 2: regarding the Red Pollen Quest. I have delivered the Pollen from Satori Marsh to Frontier Village. Where does the quest continue at this point?

Antagon said:
Huh? The Quadwings at night (don't know anymore what they are called) surely are aggressive. And they will kill you if you come too close :p

duckroll said:
Actually, I think it is much more of a result of over relying on tutorial messages instead. Static tutorials are generally almost always a bad thing in game design. What you want to do is show, not tell. If the game naturally guides players into using and understanding various systems and mechanics, more casual players will learn to appreciate them much quicker.

Tutorial windows don't really benefit anyone. Experienced core gamers are usually familiar enough with game design quirks to try things out on their own, read various messages and explanations buried inside menus or the manual, etc. Less experienced players would feel lost having to read messages which refer to various terms and other sub-systems, and tend to zone out and not pay much attention after a while.

Zelda games are a great example of how the game design itself trains players to learn the game mechanics and the new mechanics of each new weapon/tool, before expanding the use of such tools to solving more complicated puzzles and situations.

I agree with you, but what would have been your solution in the case of Xenoblade? Because I quite frankly can't think of a way to teach the player most of the system stuff naturally. Most of the stuff many people didn't discover until later in the game (area warping, the collectibles, the clock,...) are in the menu -- it's not comparable to teaching the usage of an item step by step.

The tutorial windows aren't even very complicated. They have huge pictures, they don't have much text; they are easy to understand. It's certainly not the best way to explain the systems of the game, but they are doing their job.

Dascu

Mudo said:
More or less. If one would make a list of all the areas in the game, Satorl Marsh would be about 1/4th in. So you still got lots of places to explore, not to mention going back to those previous areas to find new areas and secrets.

It's a really massive game, quite the achievement.

Toma said:
You've started the reconstruction? Then talk to Juju and keep trying to upgrade the 4 areas of the town. And you can also invite new NPCs over. A lot of them require certain conditions though, like your Housing level must be at least 3. Things like that. (I don't have a list of all invitable NPCs handy, sorry.)Those new NPCs should cause new quests to pop up.

wrowa said:
Thought that much. I still have some quests open in Agniratha, so I'll probably reload the save file from directly before the Egis fight again. Not a big deal.

Btw. is there a point to gather Central Factory quests? I've only got 6 quests in that area and all of them have been story quests.

Btw 2: regarding the Red Pollen Quest. I have delivered the Pollen from Satori Marsh to Frontier Village. Where does the quest continue at this point?
Some of the NPCs in the Fallen Arm village and the hidden Machina village in Mechonis Field might have quests that require you to get some items in Mechonis Field or Central Factory. Otherwise, there's a couple of uniques to kill. Beating a unique gives you an affinity coin. I personally didn't bother to go through the entire area again, for maybe a handful of coins.

I'd just do the ones in Agniratha and Alcamoth, and then move on. Also don't worry about missable item drops: you can find every one of them through trading.

As for the Red Pollen quest... I'd keep talking to the key NPCs in Frontier Village. Bana, Gadada, blablabla something. They should eventually send you over to Alcamoth to find this "secret club". A nopon in Alcamoth named Nero should be of assistance for that.

wrowa

Toma said:
Where exactly are you? Has the
reconstruction already begun?

If not
you've got to talk to O-something in the Colony 6 area. He'll give you the quest to defeat some monsters on the bridge, so that the people from the Refugee Camp can come back to the colony. After you have defeated the monsters you have to report back to Juju in the camp; he will ask you if they should abandon the camo now or later (apart of the Earnest quests all quests will expire)

dock

I'm going to have to make some hard decisions if I want to finish this game this year. Such as, not buying Dark Souls. I've already resigned myself to skipping on Skyrim. D: I have a really bad track record with not finishing RPGs, and it would be nice to buck that trend.

duckroll

wrowa said:
I agree with you, but what would have been your solution in the case of Xenoblade? Because I quite frankly can't think of a way to teach the player most of the system stuff naturally. Most of the stuff many people didn't discover until later in the game (area warping, the collectibles, the clock,...) are in the menu -- it's not comparable to teaching the usage of an item step by step.

The tutorial windows aren't even very complicated. They have huge pictures, they don't have much text; they are easy to understand. It's certainly not the best way to explain the systems of the game, but they are doing their job.

I don't think the tutorials in Xenoblade are particularly bad, but I do think they could have been handled better. Instead of the text-heavy pop-up windows all over the start of the game, I think that it would have been better if they had pop-up commands while you were actually performing the task. Mostly for the combat tutorials, this would probably have made it much better.

As for the extra stuff that people don't seem to "know" about, I think it would have been helpful if they had some mandatory quests early in the game when you're exploring Colony 9, which required you to make use of such systems, while the game has floating tool-tips suggesting that the player make use of such systems. A quest which requires you to be at different landmarks at different times of the day for example, along with a non-intrusive floating text window which says "If you don't want to wait around all day, you can change the time of day in your menu!" and "Instead of walking from one landmark to another, you can use the map to warp between major locations!" would be great.

I also feel the game doesn't really handle trading well in terms of introducing the system to players. It's so completely optional that most people might not even know it's an option. Same with gifting items to your party members. Having an early quest in the game involving those systems would be a great way to introduce them as an option to players.

beje

Banned
Looks like there's going to be a reprint for next week so keep your eyes peeled in case you missed it the first time.

duckroll said:
I don't think the tutorials in Xenoblade are particularly bad, but I do think they could have been handled better. Instead of the text-heavy pop-up windows all over the start of the game, I think that it would have been better if they had pop-up commands while you were actually performing the task. Mostly for the combat tutorials, this would probably have made it much better.

As for the extra stuff that people don't seem to "know" about, I think it would have been helpful if they had some mandatory quests early in the game when you're exploring Colony 9, which required you to make use of such systems, while the game has floating tool-tips suggesting that the player make use of such systems. A quest which requires you to be at different landmarks at different times of the day for example, along with a non-intrusive floating text window which says "If you don't want to wait around all day, you can change the time of day in your menu!" and "Instead of walking from one landmark to another, you can use the map to warp between major locations!" would be great.

I also feel the game doesn't really handle trading well in terms of introducing the system to players. It's so completely optional that most people might not even know it's an option. Same with gifting items to your party members. Having an early quest in the game involving those systems would be a great way to introduce them as an option to players.

Yeah I know that trading exists, but 16 hours in and I haven't done it at all. Should I be trading? Will I get better equipment, gems, what? Anyone willing to give me a quick rundown on the trading system?

Dascu

Clever Pun said:
Yeah I know that trading exists, but 16 hours in and I haven't done it at all. Should I be trading? Will I get better equipment, gems, what? Anyone willing to give me a quick rundown on the trading system?
I'd say the biggest use is getting rare items (that are needed for quests) much quicker and easier.

MicH

I didn't know how to trade before I read the manual. I didn't see it mentioned at all in the game, so I was completely oblivious to it as well. That was really poorly explained.

Gvaz

Banned
duckroll said:

Yes but Zelda is more of an action game than Xenoblade is. I'm pretty sure I'd be doing a lot worse had I not read the tutorials. Half the new mechanics in this game they show you before the actual tutorial anyways. Also the tutorials are like a car manual in terms of accessibility.

duckroll

Clever Pun said:

It's not a very well documented system at all. Basically you can trade with any non-story named NPC in the entire game. Each named NPC has his/her own set of items which can be traded for, as well as a set of items that they will be willing to trade for. This list expands as your affinity with the region the NPC is linked to grows.

The benefit of the system is generally not so much to get better equipment (since the odds are good that you have better equipment than you can trade for at any given time), but instead you could get gems instead of making them (also not very useful), or you could trade for materials and/or collectibles that you need for a quest instead of going out to grind for them. This is the main use of the trading system, but first you'll need to find out who might trade you that item. The plus side is that once you do know, you can trade for unlimited amounts of that item, and the odds are you have enough junk materials and collectibles which are useless, and you can easily trade for what you need.

It's pretty... poorly implemented, and overall it sounds better on paper than in practice unless you want to use a FAQ. Such design is often present in most Japanese games though, where they design stuff which is relatively obscure and doesn't really benefit players who are playing it on their own without additional aid from a guide.

I really don't get how you people are having so much trouble with the basic game functions. The tutorials all pop up for things the first time they are relevant and are fairly comprehensive. Any details not explained in the automatic tutorials is usually explained in the optional ones, which they mention in the tutorial tutorial! It's like you're all playing in Swahili or something, and I don't think that's on the disc.

flyover

duckroll said:
Yeah. I'm going to guess it has to do with money and time. Static, game-pausing pop-up screens were probably the quickest, cheapest way to develop the in-game tutorials. It's too bad. However, if it kept them from cutting a few corners in the rest of the game, then it was worth it, to me.

Xenoblade is one of those RPGs where it'll be fun to see how much better I am the second time through, when I actually know how to do everything from the get-go. I hardly even bothered with some things (e.g., trading) on the first playthrough.

It's a pretty complex game -- not always in terms of the depth of the systems, but in terms of the sheer number of systems and options. When I wasn't playing, my wife ran around all the areas, filling up the collectopaedia, making gems, and selling surplus equipment at the shops. It was actually a really fun game to co-play, in that sense. (Except that she now refers to herself only as Gem Man.)

wrowa

duckroll said:
Okay, that really sounds like a much better solution. :)

I think the biggest problem is that trading honestly is a pain in the ass. If you don't know which NPC trades the particular item you are looking for, you would have to search for dozens of different NPCs (which in many areas aren't even easy to spot) in the hopes of finding the right items. That's too much of a hassle for most people.

I wish that the game would track all the items the different NPCs offer for trade. No one can remember what 200 different NPCs offer for trade; so why isn't the game doing that for the player? They could have easily integrated the list of tradeable items into the affinity chart. (It also would help much if the game gave more precise directions than just the area a particular NPC lives in. Actually, I wish that the game would offer me to activate a quest arrow that leads to a chosen NPC)

Gvaz

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
I really don't get how you people are having so much trouble with the basic game functions. The tutorials all pop up for things the first time they are relevant and are fairly comprehensive. Any details not explained in the automatic tutorials is usually explained in the optional ones, which they mention in the tutorial tutorial! It's like you're all playing in Swahili or something, and I don't think that's on the disc.
They're complaining about the tutorials being too obtrusive, which to me is better because if they were pop ups I don't know if anyone would read them. Since they're "all up in your face" it forces people to read them. Some people still ignore them, especially in this thread, but that's their own fault.

Got my Xenoblade Chronicles steelbook, it took less than three days to get here from France. Couple of minor scratches, but it's cool. They used a cropped version of this for the inside.

Ok, that makes sense. The one time I pulled up the trade screen with someone in Colony 9 it seemed useless, but that was before I really started questing. I'll have to give it a try next time I play. Thanks for the info.

duckroll

wrowa said:
I wish that the game would track all the items the different NPCs offer for trade. No one can remember what 200 different NPCs offer for trade; so why isn't the game doing that for the player? They could have easily integrated the list of tradeable items into the affinity chart. (It also would help much if the game gave more precise directions than just the area a particular NPC lives in. Actually, I wish that the game would offer me to activate a quest arrow that leads to a chosen NPC)

Tracking stuff is actually an interesting comment. One thing I always appreciated in Tales games, is that on your map, the game also tracks what stores in each town sell. It's pretty helpful when you want to get a certain equipment or item, and you don't want to manually go to each place to check. It would definitely help if the game made better use of the Affinity Chart. If you can select the NPCs on the list, and view what they have for trade, it would be great. Also, the Chart doesn't even list the goddamn location of the NPC. Since some areas can be pretty huge, it can be a pain in the ass to find someone if you forgot where they generally are. There are sub-area names for all towns and cities anyway, so the game should use them! Grrrr.

dock

duckroll said:
The benefit of the system is generally not so much to get better equipment (since the odds are good that you have better equipment than you can trade for at any given time), but instead you could get gems instead of making them (also not very useful), or you could trade for materials and/or collectibles that you need for a quest instead of going out to grind for them. This is the main use of the trading system, but first you'll need to find out who might trade you that item. The plus side is that once you do know, you can trade for unlimited amounts of that item, and the odds are you have enough junk materials and collectibles which are useless, and you can easily trade for what you need.
What can I trade for the items? I've tried the trade system twice, and I chose some items, but I don't think they accepted the trade. The message they gave was vague too, and I had no idea of what items they wanted in exchange. :/

Top Bottom