• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

DJ_Tet

Banned
In case anyone is curious the regular edition came back in stock at Game.uk. I canceled my order at ASDA and put one in at Game instead. Going to email them about the CE coming back in stock but I am not holding my breath. Pissed I missed out on it by literally a day :(

Hiltz

Why is it that the weather effect you want comes at the most inconvenient of times? Last night I was at
Alcamoth and saw through the glass dome that a meteor shower had already started.
I quickly ditched looking for an npc, warped to the closest point and swam over to the
island using Rikki equipped with 25% Quick Step gems and got there in time to beat a unique hermit crab monster roaming around on the shore.
That bastard had eluded me for quite some time.

Gvaz

Banned
Oxx said:
Definitely happy that there is no 'helpful' hint system telling you where you should be going next every ten minutes.
actually, if it did have one but it only worked for sidequests I'd be okay with that.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Finished after a 117 hours of game time. As far as I can tell the only things I didn't do were take out the really high level unique monsters.

I can't see anything beating this for my game of the year.

Hiltz said:
Why is it that the weather effect you want comes at the most inconvenient of times?

Worst one for me was the guy that appears in makna on warm days only. I was so over levelled why I eventually faced him the fight was over in seconds.

RPGCrazied

Wow. This game is big.

Is there a lot of quests in Eryth Sea? Didn't feel like doing them in Makna Forest, really don't like that zone.

CoolS

MicH said:
I hate the quests in those two areas :( The only two areas with pending quests in my game.

Your avatar, together with the "I hate these things" from Reyn and the beginning of your sentence made me read this in Reyn's voice :)

sublimit

Banned
Gvaz said:
There's also quite a few places where there's simply unfinished assets

You mean like the platform near the south point of Raguel Bridge?I always wondered why that platform was there.You can also climb down to it.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Gvaz said:
actually, if it did have one but it only worked for sidequests I'd be okay with that.
I think it would be solved if in the affinity chart there was an option to warp near any character in the game (with a warning message of the time changing if needed), except for those that need to be found...

Phenomic

RPGCrazied said:
I just noticed from reading there is more than 3 skill trees per character? How do you go about getting those?

Do every quest. Literally it's pretty involved.
You have to raise affinity to a decently high level with Colony 9 for at least Shulks. I had a hard time getting Sharla's and Riki's without having high affinity with Frontier Village also. There's guides if you look hard enough on the internet and a big spreadsheet that contains all this information. Honestly I never truely found out what the proper prereq's were, but I just did tons of questing before they showed up.

CoolS

RPGCrazied said:
I just noticed from reading there is more than 3 skill trees per character? How do you go about getting those?

You get different quests from named NPCs for each character, often depending on your affinity with the area . Only got them for 3 characters so far, so I don't know any more than that.

McNum

RPGCrazied said:
Care to be specific? Like for Shulk? If its a spoiler just use tags.
For Shulk, you get it from
Desiree
in Colony 9, but you need to have more than four stars with it, but you don't need a complete five. Good luck with that, I couldn't get her to cough it up. On the other hand, I practically stumbled into the 7th character's first quest.

KarmaCow

There are quests that will unlock them but they usually require a high affinity with the region (4.5ish stars) and some prerequisite quests.

Shulk's requires
getting 4.5 stars with Colony 9 and some quests with Jackson I think. Then Desiree will have a quest for Shulk.

Hiltz

Saiyar said:
Finished after a 117 hours of game time. As far as I can tell the only things I didn't do were take out the really high level unique monsters.

I can't see anything beating this for my game of the year.

Worst one for me was the guy that appears in makna on warm days only. I was so over levelled why I eventually faced him the fight was over in seconds.

Heh, that's actually the same unique boss for me too. Although, I'm at level 56 and haven't been able to find him yet despite searching multiple times through the apparent location
the path between Twisted Tree and Eks Water Hole
he's found in during the proper weather condition. Currently, I'm at 123 hours and just exploring a bit more of
Valak Mountain before continuing on with the story

In
Valak Mountain I saw a second ice cave that a nopon npc tells you to take to get to the lower level of the map. However, I haven't been able to jump across it yet despite controlling a character equipped with Quick Step gems at 25%. Is it even possible to cross it? The ledge of the ice bridge you have to jump to seems too big to be able to jump across.

RPGCrazied

Thanks guys. Time to scour Colony 9 then. Really haven't been messing with the gift thing. Though I get a bunch of hearts doing quests. Is that how you raise the affinity of a zone?

I will never ever get tired of hearing the grinding of the guitars 1:31 into "Those Who Bear Their Name" during the slow mo segments of a chain attack. Period.

RPGCrazied said:
Thanks guys. Time to scour Colony 9 then. Really haven't been messing with the gift thing. Though I get a bunch of hearts doing quests. Is that how you raise the affinity of a zone?
No; stars represent zone affinity, whereas hearts represent affinity between the two characters displayed in the little box.

Make sure you talk to as many named NPCs as you can, even if they aren't offering quests. You can occasionally raise zone affinity through a conversation or even unlock a new quest.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
RPGCrazied said:

Rember to talk to lots of named characters even if you have talked to them before. Sometimes you will get an update to the affinity board and it will open up a new quest.

wsippel

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Duh. :p I'm 30hours in and not even half way. My shulk is decked in the empress plate armor! Looks pretty nice too.
You have Shulk wearing plate? That's an... interesting approach. I see a lot of people use medium armor, but I focused on light armor - evasion > armor. On the other hand, my two support girls were wearing plate armor.

wsippel said:
You have Shulk wearing plate? That's an... interesting approach. I see a lot of people use medium armor, but I focused on light armor - evasion > armor. On the other hand, my two support girls were wearing plate armor.

am i the only one that just equips stuff with better stats and has no idea what which character should wear or learn? i always feel so stupid playing RPGs.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
RPGCrazied said:
Just got to eryth sea, heading to the palace.

Well, my shulk keeps stealing aggro, so I put him in plate. :p

I decided to map out about the the area before I did this. Man, that was more working than actually fighting monsters.

wsippel

Banned
Diprosalic said:
am i the only one that just equips stuff with better stats and has no idea what which character should wear or learn? i always feel so stupid playing RPGs.
Probably not, but it basically works like this: Almost every piece or armor has a weight of at least 1 (kg I guess). You lose one point in agility per kg armor you wear. Shulk gets a skill that allows him to negate 5kg, which means light armor is "free" - no agility penalty. You can borrow skills that negate even more armor weight, but I decided to borrow different skills and stay within the 5kg limit. Worked pretty well.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Diprosalic said:

I was doing that until I got really overlevelled for the main story, then I just began to equip people based on asthetics.

RPGCrazied said:
Well, my shulk keeps stealing aggro, so I put him in plate. :p

Get some Aggro down and Aggro up gems. You shoul be able to produce gems one level higher than the crystals now.

Gvaz

Banned
McNum said:
For Shulk, you get it from
Desiree
in Colony 9, but you need to have more than four stars with it, but you don't need a complete five. Good luck with that, I couldn't get her to cough it up. On the other hand, I practically stumbled into the 7th character's first quest.

Some are pretty easy to find. It's funny because if you read the text they mention which tree they're unlocking, like in one, Reyn acts pretty impatient :V
EvilMario said:
I decided to map out about the the area before I did this. Man, that was more working than actually fighting monsters.
Don't do this. Just go for landmarks and obvious areas and it clears the map for you.

Just curious how long I have left presuming I push almost exclusively on main storyline.

I'm guessing pretty late in the game spoiler:
I have just fought Gadolt and spoken to lady Venea. Heading to the Capital.

LPC

Banned
Hiltz said:
Heh, that's actually the same unique boss for me too. Although, I'm at level 56 and haven't been able to find him yet despite searching multiple times through the apparent location

Oh man, I'm so happy you're talking about this monster! Can't find him after mulltiple search,, and I'm turning around, around and around! Is he hiding or something? Weather is in warm condition, and I searched all the day, damn, don't want to lose too much time on this quest! I'm level 50, finished
Prison Island, I've explored a little bit of Valak Mountain
and then decided to do a little more quests. I have so much to find yet in Frontier Village, even if I'm rated 4 (maybe 5) stars in the village. Where is this f****** monster! Don't even know what kind I have to find, I'm a little upset about this! :)

Hiltz said:
he's found in during the proper weather condition. Currently, I'm at 123 hours and just exploring a bit more of
Valak Mountain before continuing on with the story

In
Valak Mountain I saw a second ice cave that a nopon npc tells you to take to get to the lower level of the map. However, I haven't been able to jump across it yet despite controlling a character equipped with Quick Step gems at 25%. Is it even possible to cross it? The ledge of the ice bridge you have to jump to seems too big to be able to jump across.
Jump prior to the end of the ledge. You'll cross the chasm that way with lots of room to spare.

ElTopo said:
Still a bit, even if you only follow the main storyline. I'd say maybe ... 15% of the overall time spent on the main storyline is left. I really don't want to spoil how much there is left exactly, unless you want to.

Nah that's all I need to know man. Don't spoil anything. Tomorrow I'm going to have a long session on the game so excited now :D

Gvaz

Banned
Hiltz said:
In
You can easily jump the gap, just press jump at the last second and hold forward so you grip the wall and climb up

MatthewB92 said:
So... is there more than one way to get Lewisia silver?
There's one under the bridge near the north of wise gremory I think

Kaizer

Banned
Jesus, I scoped out the entirety of Nopon Village yesterday and man that place is big. I wish I had more time to play the game, but university has been getting in the way. Hopefully I can play sometime this weekend in between test studying.

Penguin

EvilMario said:

I actually enjoy the layout of the area. I guess just a sucker for multiple paths and filling out every possible course.

Except for Hover Reef 9, when jumped down to the bottom level and got blindsided by some level 95 turtles!

Hiltz

Thanks for the tip. I'll try doing that next time.

LPC said:
Oh man, I'm so happy you're talking about this monster! Can't find him after mulltiple search,, and I'm turning around, around and around! Is he hiding or something? Weather is in warm condition, and I searched all the day, damn, don't want to lose too much time on this quest! I'm level 50, finished
Prison Island, I've explored a little bit of Valak Mountain
and then decided to do a little more quests. I have so much to find yet in Frontier Village, even if I'm rated 4 (maybe 5) stars in the village. Where is this f****** monster! Don't even know what kind I have to find, I'm a little upset about this! :)

Yeah, that particular monster has been a bitch to find. From what I have read, the monster is apparently
slightly east of Ek's Watering Hole. I even checked out this drawn map of Makna Forest, pointing out the monster's targeted area but he still wasn't there. http://gbatemp.net/t307208-xenoblade-chronicles-unique-monster-location-full-map

Gvaz

Banned
The mob you're talking about shows up in that area during a heat wave only.

I can't remember if it's an ether thing or a dinosaur. I think it's a dinosaur.

You can tell there's a heat wave because the screen gets all wavy and hazy, it's obvious. Play with the clock and walk around a few seconds and just keep changing it till you get that effect. Then the mob should spawn.

carlos

Zornica said:
i don't see the problem here. go downstairs, equip some xp gems and kill a bunch of enemies. you can gain 3 lvls in less than 20 minutes in that area. the final boss will be a joke by then.

yeah, i guess i'll have to do that eventually, just pissed off because of the time lost and kinda cheapness of the boss

in Makna Forest there are three bridges connecting to a small place with some ore. Since map isn't complete for some reason I noticed some galleries extending from the upper left part of the map...- are they reachable or just part of
Bionis' interior
?

because that part is killing me. I keep looking for a secret passage in Makna to get there :p

Top Bottom