• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Sorry, crap quality, but someone had to do it...

dvk3tl.jpg

mclem

I have to say, I think I need to take a little break from the game. The combat is awesome, and involved, but it's wearing. I'd really like something skill-based to do that's not combat-focussed.

Then again, maybe I just need to go to bed :)

For awhile there I was wearing a badass armor that I could finally be proud of. Then, I found "better" equipment:

Shulksillyoutfit.jpg

WTF?

Also, can anyone tell me where I can find some more training books for Melia? I'm tired of having her Spear Break ability stuck at 4 bars. I'm lvl 58ish btw doing
Mechonis Field
right now, so please no spoilers beyond that point.

mclem said:
I have to say, I think I need to take a little break from the game. The combat is awesome, and involved, but it's wearing. I'd really like something skill-based to do that's not combat-focussed.

Then again, maybe I just need to go to bed :)

I've been getting the same feeling. I stepped down a notch the amount of time I play the game because the fighting is wearing me out. 90% of my battles play out virtually the same way and are devoid of challenge. But I think that's not a problem with the battle system, which I think is pretty awesome... it's more related to the fact that I've been playing the game for 60 hours. It's a common issue with JRPGs that even Xenoblade can't quite overcome.

Still there are moments when it becomes exciting again, when fighting uniques and bosses.

Gvaz

Banned
Quick who should I pick, Gowago or Minana? One gives more XP while the other gives different armor and less xp and i dont know if it's better than the other ones.

ElTopo said:
I tried to keep it as spoiler-free for you as possible:
As far as I remember, you can't buy all of them at this point. You can buy them later.

WTF, you just ruined the game for me bro.

I kid I kid, thanks for the info.

epmode

WanderingWind said:
This appears to be the patch that fixes the issue where Dolphin runs a Xenoblade rip in standard PAL (half of the 50Hz refresh rate, so 25 FPS) instead of PAL60 (30 FPS in this case). I don't believe it's possible to get the game itself running at 60 FPS.

edit: Confirmed. This is not a true 60 FPS patch. That sort of thing almost never happens with emulators.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
polg said:
Is there any super good affinity guide out there?

Weak weapons.

As much haste and double attack as you can find.

Find an elemental with a debuff as a counterattack. The ones in the lava cave are best as they do strength down. Let your characters swing at him, debuffing them. Then when their head lowers, press b. Insta 2 hearts. Depending on how strong your mans are, you can get 60 hearts a fight with two different characters. If you're really strong you can do this on the unique elemental there for a couple of hundred hearts a go.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
*scratches head furiously*

The danger of missing quests is always looming highly in the sky, sticking its devilish tongue towards me who is always afraid to press that A button confirming whether I would like to continue through the story or not......

Just a history:

• 1st playthrough = 109 hours.
  • Next fresh playthrough = already 16 hours in, and then I realized that I missed two quests when I answered yes to
    Juju when he moved everyone to colony 6
    ... after I overwrote the damn save! 16 hours, level 33 across the board... I said FUCK THIS SHIT I'M NOT GONNA MISS TWO QUESTS!
  • Now on a new fresh playthrough yet again, already 16 hours in as well, just got
    Melia

O the danger of missing quests, how I abhor thee!!! *sigh*

Ydahs

So I just got my fifth party member. What's everyones preferred party up to this point? Can't leave
Sharla
out because of her Arts, but it's the third party member which I'm unsure about. Might be leaning towards Reyn.

Also, is the only benefit of constantly switching in and out party members the relationships between them?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ydahs said:
So I just got my fifth party member. What's everyones preferred party up to this point? Can't leave
Sharla
out because of her Arts, but it's the third party member which I'm unsure about. Might be leaning towards Reyn.

Also, is the only benefit of constantly switching in and out party members the relationships between them?

My most beloved party:
Melia-Dunban-Sharla
. Storyline:
Shulk-Dunban-Sharla.
Everyone else just getting in or out depending on the mood.

Dunban
>> Reyn in terms of crazy damage output and drawing aggro effectiveness. Though the final party member is also crazy good with dishing out damage.

Well, yes it is to improve their affinities towards one another, but you need affinities in order to commit skill link. The deeper the relationships, the more you can play around with the skill links, so yes it is VERY important to switch around every now and then.

RPGCrazied

37 hours and still not half way. Just now on the way to the Tomb in Eryth Sea. Can anyone tell me where all of Shulks books are? I have some, but not all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
mid forms are at shops, advanced tombs are from monsters. Just keep questing and stopping at shops, and you'll get them all. Some people update their inventories, so go back from time to time.

thefro

Polished off a bunch of quests from earlier in the game today. Got Colony 9 up to 3 stars.

Finished off the timed quests on Bionis's Leg. Made some really good progress on the big sidequest after that. Should be at a nice point to advance the story.

Dragon

Banned
Just got to Eryth Sea. My favorite area is still Satori Marsh, just because the night music is amazing. I just advanced the story a ton and tomorrow hopefully I'll go back and finish sidequests. Level 37, 28 hours in.

jgwhiteus

I love the secret areas they've inserted, and the random places they'll put side quest items. Spoilers for around lv. 60 or so:
loved falling down the cliff of Mechonis Field to the tiny platform ledges to find the secret Machina Shop, and having the final "memento" for the sidequest be on a random ledge you had to land on.

Question about affinity level for Colony 9: when's the earliest you can raise it to 4 star-affinity? I'm at 3-star affinity at lv. 60, and I - think - I've talked to everyone, finished the sidequests that are available at this point, etc. Story-wise, I haven't cleared
Mechonis Field
yet, and it doesn't seem like extra quests are popping up - do I have to go further in the plot? I checked the spreadsheet and it seems some sidequests aren't available until
Mechonis Core is cleared, and I'm guessing that's a future area I haven't reached yet.
Did anyone reach 4-star affinity before then?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The more I play, the more one thing becomes extremely clear: doing all the quests just leaves you overleveled and makes the game trivial. I think I'm done with sidequests.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
jgwhiteus said:
I love the secret areas they've inserted, and the random places they'll put side quest items. Spoilers for around lv. 60 or so:
loved falling down the cliff of Mechonis Field to the tiny platform ledges to find the secret Machina Shop, and having the final "memento" for the sidequest be on a random ledge you had to land on.

Question about affinity level for Colony 9: when's the earliest you can raise it to 4 star-affinity? I'm at 3-star affinity at lv. 60, and I - think - I've talked to everyone, finished the sidequests that are available at this point, etc. Story-wise, I haven't cleared
Mechonis Field
yet, and it doesn't seem like extra quests are popping up - do I have to go further in the plot? I checked the spreadsheet and it seems some sidequests aren't available until
Mechonis Core is cleared, and I'm guessing that's a future area I haven't reached yet.
Did anyone reach 4-star affinity before then?

I just got to Makna Forest and I already had 4 stars...

However, Shulk's
fourth skill tree
quest is not activated yet, it seems........

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I would do colony six until you have at least the portable gem maker and 5 star alcamoth before leaving there, but yes, if I ever replayed the game from scratch I'd avoid the rest of the quest hubs like the plague until the very last possible moment.

Dragon

Banned
commish said:
The more I play, the more one thing becomes extremely clear: doing all the quests just leaves you overleveled and makes the game trivial. I think I'm done with sidequests.

I'm conflicted. Some of the quests are more challenging than the actual bosses in the game. Plus I like some of these side stories. A couple of the quests were actually decently involved. I was scared out of my mind, sidequest in Satori Marsh:
when the spiders started crawling over the top of Exile Fortress
. I HATE
spiders

Level 57, about 80 hours in and Im in Sword Valley approaching
Gallahad Fortress through the underbelly. "Mechanical Rhythym" is the new music track that plays during battles and so far my party of Shulk, Dunban and Sharla havent missed a beat. Im definitely a bit overleveled but its just making the flow of the game at this point so much better. Im just cutting down foes like theres no tomorrow amd amassing a crazy amount of XP. In Sword Valley alone I mustve jumped up about 4 levels simply fighting Mechon. The giant AT-AT like ones are my favs. Such great battles. Looks like it's gonna be another all nighter for me. I gotta hear "Fields of the Machinae"

edit: Branca that part was awesome XD

Man God

Non-Canon Member
JumpingTheGun said:
Level 57, about 80 hours in and Im in Sword Valley approaching
Gallahad Fortress through the underbelly. "Mechanical Rhythym" is the new music track that plays during battles and so far my party of Shulk, Dunban and Sharla havent missed a beat. Im definitely a bit overleveled but its just making the flow of the game at this point so much better. Im just cutting down foes like theres no tomorrow amd amassing a crazy amount of XP. In Sword Valley alone I mustve jumped up about 4 levels simply fighting Mechon. The giant AT-AT like ones are my favs. Such great battles. Looks like it's gonna be another all nighter for me. I gotta hear "Fields of the Machinae"

You will soon learn the feeling of being underleveled again, if you so choose! Of course doing the stuff that you'll be underleveled for will make you super duper overleveled for the rest of main plot, but you have the option!

Dragon

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:

Yeah I mean I ran away, did you actually stay and try to fight them? There were like five of them and I kept dying on the one on the Bionis Leg. Felt like I probably shouldn't stay haha.

Alrus

TheBranca18 said:
Yeah I mean I ran away, did you actually stay and try to fight them? There were like five of them and I kept dying on the one on the Bionis Leg. Felt like I probably shouldn't stay haha.

Yeah that part is a bit hard if you have to fight the three of them at once. I was doing okay until I got knocked down the hill by one of them and had to go back up.

Ended up pulling them one by one (they aren't linked), which made the fight almost trivial.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TheBranca18 said:

That particular fight is doable at the level you get the quest at, but its not exactly easy.

ramyeon

I haven't done any side quests since getting Colony 9 to 4 stars... So I'm at like 35 hours and just entered Sword Valley for the first time.
Obviously I'm going through faster than most people here... it's totally unintentional - I just hated Eryth Sea and Valak Mountains so I wanted to get through them ASAP. Valak picked up towards the end... all the cinemas involving Fiora and Mumkhar were AMAZING. And the fight with Mumkhar was tense - he was 2 levels above me so I was on the edge of my seat for most of it.

TheBranca18 said:

No way man I fuckin booked, and I do believe I yelled out loud as well

Leeness

Haha, so, scouts can be total dicks sometimes. Like, wow.

I was in
Makna
Forest and a little scout ran off and I assumed he was going to go get a similar monster (like, the bigger size of him).

NO. NO NO. He went and got a level 98 T-Rex. Lmao.

My face when I realized what he had gone to get:

1zg9pc7.jpg

What an asshole.

I still haven't found a single training book yet, (even though I'm level 37), can someone point me towards a couple? I like to do the occasional quest and do a lot of exploring but it looks like I'm just unlucky. :/

magicalsoundshower said:
I still haven't found a single training book yet, (even though I'm level 37), can someone point me towards a couple? I like to do the occasional quest and do a lot of exploring but it looks like I'm just unlucky. :/

you mean to increase the level/power of your arts? most merchants sell them.

magicalsoundshower said:
You mean the advanced training books ?

I mean the books that let you advance the levels of your arts. Guess I gotta do more shopping after all, I'd sort of dismissed merchants as useless as most of their equipment seemed so expensive. Thanks!

guek

Banned
Hey guys, so my game is acting up. I'm about 14hrs in and just
defeated the guardian. During the cutscene after i get to bionis' trachea/mouth, it'll reboot the game no matter what I do.

Any suggestions?

guek said:
Any suggestions?
So your problem is the game reboots during a cutscene, I know you said no matter what I do but still. You can skip cutscenes. + button pauses then follow the on-screen instructions.

Apart from that, tried cleaning the disc?

sublimit

Banned
I was wondering if i kill a sidequest "special" monster before i get the sidequest will that specific monster respawn or i wouldn't be able to complete the sidequest?

Wichu

sublimit said:
I was wondering if i kill a sidequest "special" monster before i get the sidequest will that specific monster respawn or i wouldn't be able to complete the sidequest?
It will respawn, but it might take a while. I've been waiting for ages for a couple of them to respawn.

For some just going to their location and doing save followed by reload a few timnes can work. Of course if its like 12 times and still no change then its probably best to forget about it for a while and move on with the game then come back to it.

sublimit

Banned
^Thanks i'll try that.

Wichu said:
It will respawn, but it might take a while. I've been waiting for ages for a couple of them to respawn.

Ah ok thanks!I think i wasted too much time searching for some of them since i wasn't sure if i killed them the first time.

And another thing,it seems impossible for me to find the Bird Necklace near Raguel Bridge...i searched the place countless time and found nothing.If it's on one of the platforms below the bridge then i'm screwed since there are level 80 monsters there.:/

syoaran

I've got a ton of work to do, yet I keep on playing this. I've got to
the machina city
, but I keep going back to clear side quests. I've come to my first real issue with the game, which is that the game really makes it hard for me to find side quests in key locations when I'm trying to go from 4 stars to 5 stars.

Question about a sidequest about 60% into the game:

In Alcamoth, you have that ancient text questline. I rescued the girl from the Marsh, had the two guys rescued from the mountains & upgraded the telescope, but now the questline seems to be on hold. It's really the only quest line (outside the secret club) I care about now, and I don't want to move on with the story without doing it. I have a feeling its linked to the two giant quest lines, both of which I've done now.

Need help ~

MicH

Oh god, this boss battle is driving me insane! Lategame location + boss spoilers (lvl 60)

How the hell am I supposed to beat that damn faced mechon / Gadolt? He keeps spamming jost laser things that kills me from afar and those damn minion mechon keeps respawning and overwhelming me. Any tips??

Top Bottom