• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

McNum

So got time to advance the story a bit more and... whoa!

If you haven't fought a level 70 boss, do not highlight this.
The Mechonis, it's MOVING! That's bad. That's REALLY bad! And Dickson is getting all shifty-eyed. He's probably Zanza or something, the game would be mad enough to do that. If where Egil went is the Core, I'm looking forward to it. That thing he's in looks like a great boss fight. Also Shulk is beginning to use the Monado like a pro. Dodging things without a vision. Or Cutscene Shulk just learned to cast Speed before going places that look like a boss fight area.

Also, I got the "Speak to me when you're ready to go to the Mechonis." line, so I'm taking it that when I do, bad stuff happens to a lot of the timed quests I have, right? I'm thinking the High Entia city will get to meet Mechonis' sword very soon. What else could make those quests timed?

I love how the game just escalates the stakes over and over and over. I get the feeling that the biggest twists are yet to come.

Haunted

Not sure I have it in me to tackle the NG+ high level areas. Might shelf this for now (too much to play!)

Great ride though. I'm tempted to call this and Skyward Sword the Wii's last hurrah (barring Last Story).

Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
EDIT: Holy shit, when did I become a member? Time to look down on you piece of shit juniors.
I like the way you think.

Now go get yourself a tag so you can look down on those piece of shit members. :p

Man is there an easy way to raise affinity with areas? All I do is run around, talk to random people, do some random quest, talk to more random people, find another quest, etc. Been doing it for 3 hours in Colony 9 and I'm still only at 3 stars. Also, does trading do anything other than get me items I don't want?

MechaX

I swear, nothing is more satisfying than handling a grudge match.

FUCK YOU GODWIN! Too bad the bastard respawned right when I had to go back to Exile Fortress. I'm going to enjoy one-shotting his ass when I get back there later in the game. At least he doesn't aggro all that well so I can go up and get what's on this altar.

EDIT: WTF WTF WTF TWO GIANT SPIDERS WTF

Gvaz

Banned
McNum said:
So got time to advance the story a bit more and... whoa!

If you haven't fought a level 70 boss, do not highlight this.
I'm thinking the High Entia city will get to meet Mechonis' sword very soon. What else could make those quests timed?

I love how the game just escalates the stakes over and over and over. I get the feeling that the biggest twists are yet to come.

Yeah, do any and all timed quests BEFORE that point.

ramyeon

Man God said:
Near the Nopon Arch I believe.
Excellent, I found them right away. Thanks a lot.

Did a bit of questing this morning and finished Desiree's quest for Shulk's
4th Skill Chain
. I'm taking a break from the story in Sword Valley and I'm gonna try to get every locale's affinity up to 4 stars at least. Gonna try to make some more progress in the Colony 6 rebuilding and repopulating as well.

Gvaz

Banned
I've got colony 6 at 4 stars and I have a bunch of quests for it coming up but...ehhhh

Currently lvl 91 or so, slow going. about a level an hour now even with the +exp talents

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gvaz said:
I've got colony 6 at 4 stars and I have a bunch of quests for it coming up but...ehhhh

Currently lvl 91 or so, slow going. about a level an hour now even with the +exp talents

You can get level 5 exp up gem bits from the fire elementals in makna forest. Perfect Level Six versions will give you 100% exp up, and each character can have two of them...

You can also use talent up gems on riki and have him steal a crapton of exp from an easier higher level monster.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nearly died.

"MAN WHAT A BUNCH OF JOKAHS"

Almost died.

"PIECE OF CAKE!!!"

Struggling in a fight against a bunch of bunnies.

"I SEE THAT YOUR STRENGTH IS A GENUINE ARTICLE!"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Slowly working my way through this, loving it every moment. Just beat the annoying faced mechon in the mines:
Yeah, when we first encountered him and I heard his voice I was like "holy shit really, way to ruin your sinister villains" but a few of his final lines got me thinking "Thats what they tell me at least..."

The plot thickens...

The_Technomancer said:
Slowly working my way through this, loving it every moment. Just beat Metal Face in the mines:
Yeah, when we first encountered him and I heard his voice I was like "holy shit really, way to ruin your sinister villains" but a few of his final lines got me thinking "Thats what they tell me at least..."

The plot thickens...

I thought that new feature of his was hilarious. He was
so sarcastically evil I laughed out loud at some of his lines. Plus, that pitch was creeeeeepy

Gvaz

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Slowly working my way through this, loving it every moment. Just beat the annoying faced mechon in the mines:

The plot thickens...
If your skin didn't get goosebumps from that english voice actor, you don't know shit about voice actors!

He's my favorite one in the whole game :3

edit: Got the World Hero achievement
emot-smug.gif

Dragon

Banned
ramyeon said:
Does anyone know where to find Jungle Quadwings in Makna? I just kind find them at all :/

If you warp to the Landmark nearest the Elks Water Grounds or whatever it's called, there should be three or four right above you when you warp.

Sidequest in Colony 9 involving Emmy Leater:
So did I fuck up by picking the poisoned sword? Emmy hates me now and thinks she messed up as well. There was nothing to indicate I should have picked the shield really.

RPGCrazied said:
My colony 9 only has 2 stars, and I swear I have done hundreds of quests there, or what feels like I have. WTF?!

You have to talk to every named character as well. Can't just do quests. I'm at four stars at the moment.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
TheBranca18 said:
If you warp to the Landmark nearest the Elks Water Grounds or whatever it's called, there should be three or four right above you when you warp.

Sidequest in Colony 9 involving Emmy Leater:
So did I fuck up by picking the poisoned sword? Emmy hates me now and thinks she messed up as well. There was nothing to indicate I should have picked the shield really.

Naaah there's no 'wrong' choice don't worry. In the end you'll get a different named sidequest but the end result/reward will always stay the same.

Okay, so people that ordered from GAME, how long did it take for you to receive your copy? I'm sure it will probably be a week or 2, which will give me time to finish WKC2, but i really want this game to arrive!

Gvaz

Banned
What the fuck, why is there so many quests at endgame? Out of like 50 I've done so far the only quest that was good was the resolution to the Red Pollen Orb questline.

jgwhiteus

At lv. 65 at around 65 hours in. Just finished everyone's 4th skill tree quests, which was a bit of a pain, although some were definitely fun. Getting Frontier Village up to 4 stars took the most effort, and I'm sure I've gone a little cross-eyed from running up and down those steps.

I can see the benefit of putting off sidequests until a bit later - a lot of them go super fast because you've already collected materials / collectibles, you can fast-travel to wherever you need to go, and if you do them when your levels are higher you can clear out any monsters quite easily, or they don't attack you. Also, I've enjoyed the main quest slightly more when my levels are roughly equivalent and some monsters actually pose a challenge - and I'm getting much better experience, AP, and SP points.

So it's kind of a tradeoff - if you focus on sidequests early and over-level, the main quest will be easy (and maybe you'll lose out on AP and SP points, because I think those are scaled, and you usually only get EXP and not AP and SP from sidequests?); if you put off sidequests, they go faster but you lose the challenge on any uniques you face during them, which is a shame, because I think some of them would have been challenging fights - e.g. the unique at King Agni's tomb.

Afrocious

jgwhiteus said:
At lv. 65 at around 65 hours in. Just finished everyone's 4th skill tree quests, which was a bit of a pain, although some were definitely fun. Getting Frontier Village up to 4 stars took the most effort, and I'm sure I've gone a little cross-eyed from running up and down those steps.

I can see the benefit of putting off sidequests until a bit later - a lot of them go super fast because you've already collected materials / collectibles, you can fast-travel to wherever you need to go, and if you do them when your levels are higher you can clear out any monsters quite easily, or they don't attack you. Also, I've enjoyed the main quest slightly more when my levels are roughly equivalent and some monsters actually pose a challenge - and I'm getting much better experience, AP, and SP points.

So it's kind of a tradeoff - if you focus on sidequests early and over-level, the main quest will be easy (and maybe you'll lose out on AP and SP points, because I think those are scaled, and you usually only get EXP and not AP and SP from sidequests?); if you put off sidequests, they go faster but you lose the challenge on any uniques you face during them, which is a shame, because I think some of them would have been challenging fights - e.g. the unique at King Agni's tomb.

I see what you mean. However another con with putting off sidequests is missing out on some timed ones. I feel like I missed a ton considering where I am.

I'm level 71 and I'm at
the Bionis' Interior. I'm upset I can't go back to the Mechonis or Alcamoth. I don't know if I will be able to later on, but I'm still upset. It also sucks because I'd like to grind a little bit and running around Mechonis would've bene perfect. I'm actually seeing yellow-labeled enemies in the Interior. Where's a good place to grind?

Couple of questions (related to end-game).

1. Does the game give you a New Game+ save or does it allow you to continue after the end point to finish off any quests? Or do new ones pop up post end-game?

2. Is there a level cap to worry about? Currently 96 but I know there's at least one monster that I can't kill
in Valak Mountain

Major plot spoiler coming up. Don't highlight if you haven't reached level 75 ish (i.e. after the point where your enemies are about level 70).

A load of quests popped up about Alcamoth. Do the refugees ever get back? I can't find any more quests to finish the side story off :(

guek

Banned
Hey guys, so my game is acting up. I'm about 14hrs in and just
defeated the guardian. During the cutscene after i get to bionis' trachea/mouth, it'll reboot the game no matter what I do.

Any suggestions?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Afrocious said:
I see what you mean. However another con with putting off sidequests is missing out on some timed ones. I feel like I missed a ton considering where I am.

I'm level 71 and I'm at
the Bionis' Interior. I'm upset I can't go back to the Mechonis or Alcamoth. I don't know if I will be able to later on, but I'm still upset. It also sucks because I'd like to grind a little bit and running around Mechonis would've bene perfect. I'm actually seeing yellow-labeled enemies in the Interior. Where's a good place to grind?

You're locked out until new game + unfortunately for the quests on those two places.

Good place to grind for your level: Wind Cave on Bionis Leg seems ideal.

Gvaz

Banned
guek said:
Hey guys, so my game is acting up. I'm about 14hrs in and just
defeated the guardian. During the cutscene after i get to bionis' trachea/mouth, it'll reboot the game no matter what I do.

Any suggestions?

If you can back up your save to an SD card and upload and post it here, I can try on mine and see if I can make a save a little bit after for you

Also phew, only a few more quests left, then the last dungeon, then the resources I have left to get for c6. I killed quite a few uniques but I don't really feel like grinding for the gems to take down the optional bosses normally (nor do I want to get to level 99 nor care)

30-40h spoilerish:
A woman called Olga wants me to find a
Sirius Anemone
in Colony 6 so she can open her
pharmacy
I looked everywhere for hours but couldn't find one. Any help is appreciated.

50h spoiler maybe:
Argh, I always (accidently) kill all the "boss"-monsters of monsters-sidequest before I even start the quest. Like that
Agile Alberto (dunno if it's the same name in english version)
near
chain bridge No3 in Makna Forest
. and now I want to finish the quest but can't because stupid monster doesn't appear anymore :(
Can someone give me at least a hint what kind of monster it is, so i know what i should looking for.

Same goes to
"something" Boza, the chief of those Ewok-type folks on that island in eryth sea
. I killed him just after I arrived in
Eryth Sea
and now he doesn't appear anymore.

I see, this isn't pushing you AT ALL

Grampasso

I'm struggling with a quest in
Colony 6. Where the fu**k is Nikita in the Ether Mine?I've been visiting it high and lo but I only found Kiroki. Will there be a way to visit Ether Mine obstructed parts in the future? It's not a big place so I supposed it would have been easy to search...

weeaboo

Grampasso said:
I'm struggling with a quest in
Colony 6. Where the fu**k is Nikita in the Ether Mine?I've been visiting it high and lo but I only found Kiroki. Will there be a way to visit Ether Mine obstructed parts in the future? It's not a big place so I supposed it would have been easy to search...

She's OUTSIDE the mine
near the elevator if I remeber right

mclem

weeaboo said:
She's OUTSIDE the mine
near the elevator if I remeber right

Also, she isn't a she :)

Well, either that, or Anna is displaying the first flushes of, uh, experimentation. But then, given she's flirting with a Nopon, perhaps that's no surprise.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
HiddenAway said:
Couple of questions (related to end-game).

1. Does the game give you a New Game+ save or does it allow you to continue after the end point to finish off any quests? Or do new ones pop up post end-game?

2. Is there a level cap to worry about? Currently 96 but I know there's at least one monster that I can't kill
in Valak Mountain

Major plot spoiler coming up. Don't highlight if you haven't reached level 75 ish (i.e. after the point where your enemies are about level 70).

A load of quests popped up about Alcamoth. Do the refugees ever get back? I can't find any more quests to finish the side story off :(

1. New Game +. No way to continue after the end point. There are several perks: equipped weapons/armor are carried over and those that you choose, as are levels + arts + skills (and affinity coins), all gems, some of the materials and collectibles (you choose this as well), and affinities between PCs. Completed quests must be re-completed, and location affinities must be rebuilt as well.

Additionally, unique monsters will give you affinity coins again if you defeat them, so potentially you can accrue 999 affinity points if you are patient enough with successive walkthroughs.

2. 99 for characters, 120 IIRC for monsters.

As for your spoiler tagged question:
after the 'big event' in Alcamoth where all of them are transformed into Telethia, it is impossible for you to finish your unfinished quests.

Anyone got any advice for the ether mine boss? He's kicking my butt and I don't even dent his life. I'm guessing I need to pull off a combo, but he kills everyone off before I get a chance.

Sadist

To many quests lol.

About the same quest as Grampasso

He's on the path that leads to the drainage? The one where you have to take the elevator? Because I' don't see him :(

Gvaz

Banned
Well I finally beat it, it only took me like 100 hours but I did it. Jesus christ this game.

I don't have enough time right now to write up thing, but:

5/5

Laughing Banana said:
As for your spoiler tagged question:
after the 'big event' in Alcamoth where all of them are transformed into Telethia, it is impossible for you to finish your unfinished quests.

Still major near end-game spoilers below...

Ah, that's not what I meant. After that event, the Alcamoth citizens are scattered around the Bionis (like the Satorl Marsh and Frontier Village). Some of them have new quests which give you clues about the giants treasures while some ask you to go to Alcamoth to kill certain Telethia which were their friends, family or soldiers still on duty. One asks me to get a document which gives possible clues on restoring Telethia to their former selves.

I've done a lot of these but I'm just wondering if it ever got to an eventual conclusion where they're able to move back or if it's just one of those strands that get tied up at the end?

Wichu

darkjedi187 said:
Anyone got any advice for the ether mine boss? He's kicking my butt and I don't even dent his life. I'm guessing I need to pull off a combo, but he kills everyone off before I get a chance.
Charge up your party gauge on weaker monsters in the mine first, then quickly fast travel to the boss so you start with an almost-full gauge.

Gvaz

Banned
So post-game completion questions: don't click these

If shulk gets his True Monado in NG+, then does it change the story at all? Or are they just like "How can you beat me if you don't have your monado" while you've been hitting them with it?

Additionally that ending with Dickson was pretty silly. AGH! ARGH! *screams* "Tch...I didn't really lose, see you later space cowboy...." is pretty anime.

And I saw the whole "you have to kill a god and become a god and everyone lives happily ever after" coming a mile away, and seems rather cliche...What about Alvis? I want to hear more about him, though him being a super computer made god is pretty neato and explains his vocal lack of emotion.

Is there a writeup somewhere that explains the plot in depth?

Oxx said:
Finding people I need to talk to in Alcamoth is unnecessarily difficult.
THIS THIS THIS THIS.

It's just stupid!

My only complaint with this game is tracking down people. Even with the Affinity Charts and Quest Logs, it's impossible, and I end up just googling it every single time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People are having trouble with alcamoth quests, really?

People congregate in about five main places and have basically a day shift and a night shift.

mclem

Mr. Wonderful said:
THIS THIS THIS THIS.

It's just stupid!

My only complaint with this game is tracking down people. Even with the Affinity Charts and Quest Logs, it's impossible, and I end up just googling it every single time.

I seem to have memorised a distressing number of them. I wouldn't say it's true of all, but I would hazard a guess that I can give a reasonable description of where approximately three-quarters of all the characters I've encountered can be found, from their affinity chart page.

I think it may partially be because I'm going heavily into the sidequests, and so I pick up bits of a character's *story* rather than just the character. As such I'm in a reasonable position to associate their character traits listed in the affinity chart with their questlines and from there with their position.

Man God said:
People are having trouble with alcamoth quests, really?

People congregate in about five main places and have basically a day shift and a night shift.

I had some trouble on Alcamoth finding peeps, and then surpringly I had even more trouble in the
hidden Machina Village
, but I really think it has to do with starting to become burned out on sidequests. There, I said it.

The story has just become so good, but at the same time I dont want to be underleveled

Top Bottom