• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ugh I wish this game would just be done. D:

I can't give this many hours of myself to a game, really. It makes me feel completely worthless. I'm not even to prison island and I am overwhelmed by the knowledge of how not-far I am. Time to ignore literally everything that isn't the next story marker and plow on through!

M-PG71C

Q: Where the fuck is the Chewy Raddish in Colony 9. I'm 27 hours in the game, been at multiple locations, and I can't find this for the life of me. It sucks ass. :/

I really want to complete a quest at Colony 6 and my Collectopedia, anyone have any ideas?

M-PG71C said:
Q: Where the fuck is the Chewy Raddish in Colony 9. I'm 27 hours in the game, been at multiple locations, and I can't find this for the life of me. It sucks ass. :/

I really want to complete a quest at Colony 6 and my Collectopedia, anyone have any ideas?
Something bay or something cape... island with 30+lvled monsters.

Zornica

Banned
Melhisedek said:
What party are you guys using?

Melia, Dunban, Riki.
no need for the monado. specials (white) can be canceled with sleep, red ones are dodged because of the high agi everyone has and blue isn´t that common.
riki´s heal is more than sufficient. most enemies go down in less than 10 seconds anyway.
it´s by far my favorit char combo.

using riki reyn and dunban is kinda fun too.

i am never playing shulk because he is boring, and having sharla in the party just slows everything down -_-

Tendo said:
Just started this. As a completionist the quest system is a pain. I'm so afraid of missing one due to the day/night cycle in colony 9. Ugh. There a quest guide online I can check off as I complete?
You know you can change the time to whatever you want, right? Just go to the menu, select the clock, and pick whatever you want. It's also a great way to alter the weather if you need it for a quest.

And you may already know this, but a lot of new players don't know that you can quick travel to any landmark you've been to, in any area. Just go to the menu, select the leftmost option, select the area, and select the landmark you want to warp to. I'm amazed that some people have spent much of the game hopping to and fro between entrances and exits.

And yes, there is a spreadsheet with pretty much everything there is to see and do, including locations and help with quests and the locations of NPCs. Just a friendly warning, though: it's obviously filled with tons and tons of spoilers. Even just a quick glance could spoil a character or location.

Hiltz

JumpingTheGun said:
Oh its possible. Im at lvl 62 and almost at 100 hours.

Man I love how this thread is bumpin when I get home from work! Hiltz whats up buddy!

Hey! It looks you're getting pretty far into the game, JumpingtheGun.

Melhisedek said:
Oh... And how does it work? I'm kinda fond of the party I started with

Shulk, Sharla and Rayne
How do you manage without Monado?

The team's been pretty effective.

Dunban - I usually don't have to worry about him since he's generally the target of aggro but can dodge most of the time. It seems to make it easier on the party members so Dunban can distract the monster. I can rely on him to use topple when I'm not in a position to do so. He also can cause daze but Sharla uses it more often than he does. He can get rid of a debuff but I haven't payed much attention to how often he does it.The same can be said for causing break.

Sharla - I like her variety of healing and debuff skills and she causes break when I can't do so while playing as Melia. If I can get an enemy to be dazed, it's nice to have Sharla be able to deal good damage or even finish them off with her head shot bullet.

Melia - I almost always control her given how people have said she is powerful but more effective when being controlled by the player. She's great for setting up topple and her lighting elemental move in particular does a lot of damage. I'm not particularly fond of her water elemental healing move but if I take it out, then I won't have any other character able to use a healing ability. Her mind blast move can casue a lot of damage as well. I think Dunban can also further benefit from using her Wind Elemental agility buff.

I don't really know who to swap out Shulk for and if I should control him over
Melia
. I have noticed that the times I do put him in the party, he seems to be more vunerable to taking damage and being the target of aggro. He suffers because of it since his moves are really designed to take advantage of doing side and back attack bonus damage. Perhaps it is due to the gems equipped on him (stuff like aggro down, double attack, muscle up, strength up, haste, spike damage def). As for Shulk's
Monado powers, the Monado Buster move does greeat damage and the Monado Shield is a nice form of protection. However, I don't know if Monado Speed is all that useful especially when Dunban can already use a move to increase his own agility and also have Melia can also increase the entire party' agility as well. I'm not quite sure how useful Monado Purge is anymore. I currently have Monado Eater but not Cyclone or Armor yet an don't know how useful they'll be.
Maybe it would be wise to get more use out of Shulk and take advantage of his Monado more often.

Tendo

SecretMoblin said:
You know you can change the time to whatever you want, right? Just go to the menu, select the clock, and pick whatever you want. It's also a great way to alter the weather if you need it for a quest.

And you may already know this, but a lot of new players don't know that you can quick travel to any landmark you've been to, in any area. Just go to the menu, select the leftmost option, select the area, and select the landmark you want to warp to. I'm amazed that some people have spent much of the game hopping to and fro between entrances and exits.

And yes, there is a spreadsheet with pretty much everything there is to see and do, including locations and help with quests and the locations of NPCs. Just a friendly warning, though: it's obviously filled with tons and tons of spoilers. Even just a quick glance could spoil a character or location.

THANK YOU. I stood around waiting for that stupid lady that sent me off with biscuits FOREVER. Thank you sir :)

I'm approaching the cut-off point for
Alcamoth
and I'm missing a quest. According to the spreadsheet it's number 18. Can anyone please give me some info on it?

Phenomic

Baloonatic said:
I'm approaching the cut-off point for
Alcamoth
and I'm missing a quest. According to the spreadsheet it's number 18. Can anyone please give me some info on it?

What's the name of the quest. The way I search that particular area #18 isn't anything.

Phenomic said:
What's the name of the quest. The way I search that particular area #18 isn't anything.

I don't know, the spreadsheet doesn't have any info on it :( In the quest log it should apparently be listed inbetween these two quests:
Building Bridges and Starlight Seeker

*Endgame plot spoilers in quoted post and my post*

wsippel said:
I hate to disagree, but I have to. What Zanza said is actually the truth - there's no retconning going on at all.
Zanza isn't the giant. Neither is he the Monado. He's Klaus. Klaus created, or "forged", the Monado by conducting that experiment. The Monado isn't really a sword, and contrary to what the game makes you believe, there's actually only a single Monado, and that's Alvis. Alvis, being a quantum computer, is the step between the unmeasurable and the measurable, the uncountable and the countable (the monad, basically). He's the origin, the creator, but he's not god - he's just a computer after all. He needs input. And he created a universe based on the ideas and wishes of his former master. Did he (re)create Mayneth as a counter point, or was it Klaus who wanted her brought back as a rival? Probably the latter. Also makes sense considering Klaus was emotional, whereas Mayneth was logical, so the roles actually fit.
I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore anyone to tears... :)

Actually, I'd love for you to go on with your supposition because I don't know if it was because it was hard to pay attention for half my playthrough (old shitty color fading CRT) or because I just didn;t pick up on the information. I'm still not
sure what exactly Klaus was up to. There was no real narration on that and I couldn't quite jump to many conclusions. At first I was thinking he created this world, but it specifically states that whatever his actions were resulted in destruction. I really fail to see how he came about to be in such a position. In fact I'm really just fuzzy about the whole deal. When I came about in the area of no return, I became suspicious of some technological involvement when I saw the digital artifacts in the universe. I figured at that point this was essentially a simulation, but I'm still not really clear, even with all the major characters. I follow all the basics of what happened to the giant/"Zanza" down, regarding the possession and Shulk, but above that is a lot of *shrug*. And what do you mean by the only Monado is Alvis? I got to the point where I took Monado to mean more so some kind of connection to the time of events, because toward the end Monoado this, Monado that.. I looked up your term monad, but even the couple wiki articles didn't shed much light for me there.
So feel free to ramble.

Phenomic

Baloonatic said:
I don't know, the spreadsheet doesn't have any info on it :( In the quest log it should apparently be listed inbetween these two quests:
Building Bridges and Starlight Seeker

Yeah that isn't anything. That's just listing the prereq for # 17.
Bascially it's just saying you can't do that quest until you get to the point where you can fly over to fix the bridge before Valak Mountain.

Sorry for the delayed reply I took a shower.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DownLikeBCPowder said:
*Endgame plot spoilers in quoted post and my post*

Actually, I'd love for you to go on with your supposition because I don't know if it was because it was hard to pay attention for half my playthrough (old shitty color fading CRT) or because I just didn;t pick up on the information. I'm still not
sure what exactly Klaus was up to. There was no real narration on that and I couldn't quite jump to many conclusions. At first I was thinking he created this world, but it specifically states that whatever his actions were resulted in destruction. I really fail to see how he came about to be in such a position. In fact I'm really just fuzzy about the whole deal. When I came about in the area of no return, I became suspicious of some technological involvement when I saw the digital artifacts in the universe. I figured at that point this was essentially a simulation, but I'm still not really clear, even with all the major characters. I follow all the basics of what happened to the giant/"Zanza" down, regarding the possession and Shulk, but above that is a lot of *shrug*. And what do you mean by the only Monado is Alvis? I got to the point where I took Monado to mean more so some kind of connection to the time of events, because toward the end Monoado this, Monado that.. I looked up your term monad, but even the couple wiki articles didn't shed much light for me there.
So feel free to ramble.

Beat the game again, it's in pretty clear language.

Just finished the game today. It was .... amazing. It's one of those games that you like so much you just sit back and think about it after it's all over.

I really don't understand why NoA didn't bring this amazing game over. But I'm really glad I had the opportunity to play it.

jgwhiteus

I'm at level 70, just cleared
the Mechon capital city
and I'm supposed to head to
the core to face Egil.

My question relates to timed side quests at this point:
so, is that the point of no return for quests on the Mechonis? E.g., I didn't finish some of the side-quests in the capital (the "beautification" quests); are they unavailable for the rest of the game? It doesn't seem like I can fast-travel to anywhere on Mechonis now, for obvious reasons, but Bionis locations are still available. I actually decided to create a second save before facing Egil in the capital, because I was worried I might not be able to finish quests, so if that's the case, I'll just go back to my old save and try to finish any Mechonis quests before facing off against him.

I'm really enjoying the plot developments, and I definitely notice some similarities in themes and imagery to Xenogears / Xenosaga - again, spoilers for lv. 70 or so:
Fiora is really becoming a sort of KOS-MOS stand-in, except when her powers activate her eyes go red instead of blue, and the whole "Bionis feeds off living things" kind of reminded me of Zavos in Chrono Trigger.

I really loved it when Egil took control of the entire Mechonis - is the game setting the stage for a future gigantic mecha fight, the biggest mecha fight of them all? Who knows - but I'm really looking forward to where the plot is going.

wah wtf?
(55h spoilerish)
Did I really just see Han Solo walking by in Alcomoth, entering one of those highentians-only teleporters?? white shirt, brown leather vest and I couldn't spot any wings coming out of his head. huh? eastergg?

Sadist

Arrrgghh... can't complete several quests:

Colony 9:

Emmy Leater's quest in finding a Nopon sword (shield isn't an option) called the Claymore: where in Satorl Marsh? Asked at the Nopon merchants camp but no dice.

Out like light: where can I mend it?

Colony 6

Rest in Peace: a panoramic view of Makna Forest? Can't find it

Dascu

jgwhiteus said:
I'm at level 70, just cleared
the Mechon capital city
and I'm supposed to head to
the core to face Egil.

My question relates to timed side quests at this point:
so, is that the point of no return for quests on the Mechonis? E.g., I didn't finish some of the side-quests in the capital (the "beautification" quests); are they unavailable for the rest of the game? It doesn't seem like I can fast-travel to anywhere on Mechonis now, for obvious reasons, but Bionis locations are still available. I actually decided to create a second save before facing Egil in the capital, because I was worried I might not be able to finish quests, so if that's the case, I'll just go back to my old save and try to finish any Mechonis quests before facing off against him.
That's the point of no return for quests on the Mechonis and quests in Alcamoth. You can reload an earlier save, though you can also access (at least) Central Factory through a portal that you can find in the Mechonis core. Earlier save file might be more practical though, with quick-travel and all.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sadist said:
Colony 9:
Emmy Leater's quest in finding a Nopon sword (shield isn't an option) called the Claymore: where in Satorl Marsh? Asked at the Nopon merchants camp but no dice.
Colony 6
Rest in Peace: a panoramic view of Makna Forest? Can't find it

I was bored, so you get a non-spoilerish hint version of the answer if you still prefer finding out the last bit yourself, and the solution.

Colony 9:

Hint without Solution:
The guys you mentioned aren't the only Nopon there.
Solution:
You need to go to the last Nopon on the map, in the middle of that lake, before that huge ass "mountain" you need to climb

Hint without Solution:
Someone should have told you to seek out a guy to repair it, right? Look into the people database when you might find him
Solution:
If I remember correctly, you need to bring it to that guy who is standing to the right of the entrance of the "military district" in colony 9 at night.
Might be misunderstanding your problem with this quest, though.

Colony 6:

Hint without Solution:
Throw it from a suspiciously high place in Makna Forest with a GREAT view. Just imagine what was the most breathtaking panorama there and look at your map.
Solution:
There is a small cave in Makna Forest after you crossed your first bridge. It leads back to the Makna Falls-lake, you need to throw that half hat down there.

Dmax3901

So lvl 43 spoilers, if you haven't reached Eryth Sea/Alcamoth don't read on:
The Mechon have just launched an attack on Eryth Sea, The Emperor has decided to head to Prison Island, there's a siren going off etc, how far away am I from the cut-off time for Alcamoth quests?

Dmax3901 said:
So lvl 43 spoilers, if you haven't reached Eryth Sea/Alcamoth don't read on:
The Mechon have just launched an attack on Eryth Sea, The Emperor has decided to head to Prison Island, there's a siren going off etc, how far away am I from the cut-off time for Alcamoth quests?
A while.

Do we have any sales numbers on this game? I know it's been sold out at many places, but I've been hearing that they shipped very low numbers. Also, I ordered my copy from Zavvi (I've bought a lot of stuff from them before, not had any problems), has anyone just straight up not received their copy? I'm a little worried after reading some posts about Zavvi.

Oxx

55 hours in:

Just found my way to the
snow
area.

Not that exciting so far, but it's nice to be in a new area where the regular enemies are pretty tough.

MicH

A question about Mechonis, Lvl 68-70 spoiler
So I "beat" Egil and now Mechonis has awaken. I'm about to enter Mechonis Core. Is this the final dungeon? How much time do I have left? Thanks!

The Judge

MicH said:
A question about Mechonis, Lvl 68-70 spoiler
So I "beat" Egil and now Mechonis has awaken. I'm about to enter Mechonis Core. Is this the final dungeon? How much time do I have left? Thanks!

Mechonis Core is not the final dungeon. If you hurry the story without doing any quests after that you probably have 5~10 hours left. Closer to 5 I'd say.

sublimit

Banned
davonaytor said:
Do we have any sales numbers on this game? I know it's been sold out at many places, but I've been hearing that they shipped very low numbers. Also, I ordered my copy from Zavvi (I've bought a lot of stuff from them before, not had any problems), has anyone just straight up not received their copy? I'm a little worried after reading some posts about Zavvi.

I'm also curious to know that.

Finalow

Oxx said:
55 hours in:

Just found my way to the
snow
area.

Not that exciting so far, but it's nice to be in a new area where the regular enemies are pretty tough.
you didn't see anything, anything.

Oxx

davonaytor said:
Do we have any sales numbers on this game?

I guess we could probably work out the minimum/maximum number of sales for the UK, but short of a leak we'll probably never have a full picture.

Nintendo usually report million-sellers in their financials, but I don't think Xenoblade will feature somehow.

Grampasso

Shit, the evening I'm so tired when I'm back from work that I can't play for more than half an hour without falling asleep though I really WANT to play :( I can only play during WEs. It's going to last a lot.

Dmax3901

Grampasso said:
Shit, the evening I'm so tired when I'm back from work that I can't play for more than half an hour without falling asleep though I really WANT to play :( I can only play during WEs. It's going to last a lot.

This is me too, except uni instead of work :(

mclem

Grampasso said:

Regular as clockwork, I add about 10 hours to the game time each weekend. Currently in the midseventies.

chaosblade said:
I don't think that was ever intended to be a major plot point, it's just some background on his character. Seems to come up a little during heart-to-hearts and in a few quests and cutscenes, just off-hand. Little things like "this is why I told you to get out of the lab more" and such.

actually this really bugged me for a bit, the opening sequence kind of implies that you're going to take that piece of krab and go make a shield. i mean it literally says that. so for a few hours there I was wondering when crafting would become available.

wrowa

Sadist said:

Colony 9:

Why is the
shield
not an option? Because for the progress of the quest
it doesn't matter which one you chose

waytofailself

Neo Member
Whew, about lv 70 and just defeated
Gadolt
and now I've been through a bunch and a bunch of cut scenes.

Nice to see this story can still continue to build. Even though a lot of it has been predictable (
Dickson's betrayal etc.
) at least some big things weren't (
the whole Zanza/Monado thing
. I was getting a little worried after the Fallen Arm. Consider my fears squelched.

Although I will say I was a little sad that I have yet to do any rebuilding of Colony 6, so when I was sent back there all I got was a big pile of rubble with Junks in a lake. Hooray for a game making me feel kind of guilty for now doing sidequests![

MicH

Holy shit, this game just continues to impress. The story is so full of "OH MY GOD-moments". Shit. Lvl 70+ spoilers
ZANZA? DICKSON? MOTHER OF GOD. I can't believe this game, the story is amazing. Just beat the telethia in Colony 6 and am about to go into the Bionis to defeat Zanza. I suppose this is the last of the last?

Sidequest question: The warehouse in Tephra. I have to find a key near Trader's.. something in Tephra. Where on earth is that? Thanks!

Gvaz

Banned
MicH said:
Holy shit, this game just continues to impress. The story is so full of "OH MY GOD-moments". Shit. Lvl 70+ spoilers
ZANZA? DICKSON? MOTHER OF GOD. I can't believe this game, the story is amazing. Just beat the telethia in Colony 6 and am about to go into the Bionis to defeat Zanza. I suppose this is the last of the last?

Sidequest question: The warehouse in Tephra. I have to find a key near Trader's.. something in Tephra. Where on earth is that? Thanks!

It's the second to last dungeon.

And the warehouse you can only unlock by getting past a lvl...I think 99 mob. Maybe level 95. And there's a bunch of level 90 mobs in that area with a lvl 92 unique bird flying in the middle

MicH

Gvaz said:
It's the second to last dungeon.

And the warehouse you can only unlock by getting past a lvl...I think 99 mob. Maybe level 95. And there's a bunch of level 90 mobs in that area with a lvl 92 unique bird flying in the middle
Ah ok, so many "final dungeon" moments and it turns out the game STILL isn't over. So good.

And shit, I guess that quest can wait a bit, haha :D Thanks!

Gvaz

Banned
the warehouse only has one item for a quest too, so it's kind of underwhelming imo cause you wish it had tons of goodies in there but it doesn't.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
RPGCrazied said:
Wow. Just did Prison Island. Those scenes.

OMG moment:
When the Manado transforms into a bigger sword.
I finally finished that part a couple days ago.

The revelation there would have been a lot better if they hadn't shoved clues down your throat continuously. I suspected that "twist" was going to happen all the way back at
the Colony 9 attack
and knew almost for sure after the
Ether Mine
events.

But I will say that the scene didn't play out like I expected it to, so they did a good job there.

Penguin

RPGCrazied said:
Wow. Just did Prison Island. Those scenes.

OMG moment:
When the Manado transforms into a bigger sword.

I like the idea
That you get the best sword in the game (for Shulk anyhow) at the start of the game, and it just continues to power up as the game goes along.

Gvaz

Banned
Penguin said:
I like the idea
That you get the best sword in the game (for Shulk anyhow) at the start of the game, and it just continues to power up as the game goes along.
Until
much later anyways
;)

Top Bottom