• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

RPGCrazied

So, now how far am I? I don't want this game to end.

I just did the Tomb in the Eryth Sea and saw all the cutscenes after that. I think I'm on my way to prison island.

Got about 40hours on the clock.

Where the hell is the Imperial Villia? Been walking around trying to get there.

RPGCrazied

MicH said:
A story element should direct you there.

It is, but the arrow is kinda pointing up. I can go the the room where we are staying at, and I see the flag on this map, but the only way out is the teleporter that takes me back to the palace.

MicH

RPGCrazied said:
It is, but the arrow is kinda pointing up. I can go the the room where we are staying at, and I see the flag on this map, but the only way out is the teleporter that takes me back to the palace.
Hmm... Did you check the teleporter near the Imperial Throne? It should be to the right of it.

Dragon

Banned
Gvaz said:
Frontier Village is way harder, imo.

Frontier Village is a nightmare. I love the town, the music and the inhabitants but man it's frustrating to have to return to someone after getting a quest. Finding them is almost impossible without wandering around for half n hour or googling.

Gvaz

Banned
The interactions between party members when you kill a rare mob is pretty sweet.

Also abassy gives less xp than lower level mobs :|

Also having a lvl120 and level 100 mob spawn in the same location is buuuuuuuuuuuuuulllshit

RPGCrazied

Did you guys fight that elite frog in colony 9? Hes like 40 I think. Got a sweet chest item, forget the name.

Some of these bosses have silly names.

Unstopple Gomez? :lol

Gvaz

Banned
I think i saw one that was something like "unreliable person" or something similar

I'm pretty sure that the beta map would have been a quest zone about Giants but as they were making it they went "hrm this part of the story is easily ignorable and it's too big, lets just cut that entirely and tighten up the other things"

Penguin

RPGCrazied said:
Where the king is? No. Thanks!

Its not one in the King's chamber either!

You have to go to the first floor, and to the very back of the room on the left is a teleporter. Had trouble with that as well. Behind the stair case to the left.

donkey show said:
My Monado's been activated.
8H4ZM.gif

RPGCrazied

Man I think I spoiled the game again. DO NOT highlight if you haven't finished the game.

so I know fiora is alive, and I'm not even to that part, worse yet, I know who metal face is. Forgot his name, but in the intro battle, the guy with the claw weapons is him? It's pretty obvious now.

For some reason GAME cancelled my order this morning without any explanation, yet they still show as having the game in stock. I wish i knew what was going on, and didnt have to wait until AFTER work to try and reorder it.

RPGCrazied said:
Man I think I spoiled the game again. DO NOT highlight if you haven't finished the game.

so I know fiora is alive, and I'm not even to that part, worse yet, I know who metal face is. Forgot his name, but in the intro battle, the guy with the claw weapons is him? It's pretty obvious now.
It's not really 'spoiling' if you figure it out.

Just keep playing. :)

RPGCrazied

Can I really heal the rest of the game with Shulk? So far I haven't been having a problem with that. I'm using him Reyn and Dunban.

RPGCrazied said:
Can I really heal the rest of the game with Shulk? So far I haven't been having a problem with that. I'm using him Reyn and Dunban.
As long as you've got Dunban outfitted properly with armor and gems, you should be fine without Sharla on your team. I would suggest using Melia, though -- she's a tremendous asset and usually kills enemies before you need to worry about healing.

thefro

RPGCrazied said:

You can always swap in Sharla if you have trouble and need more healing.

I've been trying to mix up my party every so often so that I build affinity between all my party members. It's also fun learning how to main everyone.

Right now I'm about 65 hours in after just reaching
Mechonis Field
in the story, then going back and doing a bunch of sidequests.

One question: are there parts of Alcamoth that aren't accessible at my point in the story, and are opened up later? I see some teleporter icons that I haven't figured out how to reach, and I'm wondering if I need to explore more thoroughly.

Finalow

chaostrophy said:
Right now I'm about 65 hours in after just reaching
Mechonis Field
in the story, then going back and doing a bunch of sidequests.

One question: are there parts of Alcamoth that aren't accessible at my point in the story, and are opened up later? I see some teleporter icons that I haven't figured out how to reach, and I'm wondering if I need to explore more thoroughly.
i think that there are some late quests to do there.

Gvaz

Banned
You can explore all of alcamoth before then

Edit: Hey Gvaz, you know you have school work you should be doing, or studying or hey! You still need to finish Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and a few other games...no..no what are you doing? Don't start dolphin up nooooooo

negativeman-55f.png

Delio

Well i beat the game at 81 hours. Quite the ride it has been and i enjoyed it all the way through. My only regret is not using Melia for the final boss i just needed that extra healing far to much.

bh7812

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Frontier Village is a nightmare. I love the town, the music and the inhabitants but man it's frustrating to have to return to someone after getting a quest. Finding them is almost impossible without wandering around for half n hour or googling.

I'll get to why I quoted that post in a minute, but I will say that post is the absolute truth about Frontier Village.

After putting 90 plus hours into the game, (A LOT of that being for side quests and mapping out areas fully, I'm still not even half way through the story!) I feel I can give a fair assessment of it. As for the game itself, it's totally and completely been worth every penny of what I had to pay to import it from Game! Probably the best RPG I've seen in 10 years easily. None of the RPG's I've played in that time have been terrible in my opinion, just not as good as this one. It basically takes all the standard JRPG conventions, ideas, along with general concepts and it either does all of it right or in some cases improves upon them greatly.

Visually, I've had an interesting experience with this game. Personally as far as I'm concerned. While I am not a "graphics freak" by any stretch and am not ultra picky when it comes to graphics, it looks fantastic on my 42 inch TV and has some of the best visuals on the Wii. A lot of the areas graphically are jaw dropping. But everyone certainly has their own opinion on it. As soon as my Dad saw it he commented that the graphics are mostly early PS2 level and in some areas late PS1 level stuff so opinions on the graphics are going to vary but I've been impressed personally.

Musically it's some of the best video game music I've heard in 10 years as well. Even though my favorite game composer always has been, and still is Mr. Uematsu, while this game is not an Uematsu scored game musically it is excellent. A lot of memorable songs that will stick in your head long after you've turned off the Wii. So they did great there.

For everything this game gets right, and it gets probably over 90 percent of what it does right there is one really huge minus, it's not a game or deal breaker by any means at all but this game's worst flaw has to do with quests. While in almost every case you will be given a general idea of where to go, it's almost always a situation of "Go to this area in general-what you're looking for or the monster you need to find is definitely in this area, but hey we'll just give you the general area you need to go to and after that you're on your own". That to me is a poor design choice. At the very absolute least, it should say the specific smaller area you should be looking in along with the general region you need to be in. Also, while it does show you a ! for all quest givers, and some of the items you need to find have a ! in their locations, you need to be RIGHT in the area of the quest giver or item you need to find. Also, the "Here's the general area you need to be in" thing strikes again with the named NPC's. It will tell you the general region they're in but then you gotta find the exactttt spot on your own. Again, it's not a game or deal breaker but it will cause many people a lot of un-necessary frustration and you'll spend a LOT more time in some areas than you might want to.

The last big point I want to make is the frickin scope of the game size wise..Good God they sure didn't leave a whole lot left out that's for sure. These areas are just huge, massive regions. It took 3 to 4 HOURS to map out each of the major regions I've visited so far, just because I wanted to make sure I found every secret location as well as nook and cranny. Here's a huge piece of advice that will help a lot of people just starting out:

Take the time to fully map out each area as soon as you possibly can, because you're going to thank yourself for it, and I mean really thank yourself for it later. The huge benefit to mapping each area out asap is when you need to get to a specific spot for a quest, all possible locations in an area will be open and you'll have a MUCH easier time getting from point A to B. Also, as you map out each area you'll most likely get more than enough of the collectibles/items needed for quests that require those. That's when you'll really be thanking yourself later.

The reason I quoted the post about Frontier Village is..well..that area is a bitch of a nightmare as far as quests are concerned. You're not just dealing with 2 or 3 floors-you're dealing with 8. So, that's 8 layers of places where NPC's and quest givers are and you need to know the exact spots they are in and the exact times they will be there. If you're gonna come up short 5 starring any area of the game that's probably gonna be it. Just a total nightmare. There's 85-ish possible side quests there, I've done about 70 of them, and I'll just say a few times I've thought about giving up on that area but I'm so close now I may as well finish it. But I cannot blame those who just say screw the side quests there. 2 or 3 bigger floors there would have been much much better than 8!

Overall though, I'd give the game a very very high A rating..the only real minus I'm seeing has to do with the vagueness of some quests but other than that, if you haven't imported the game go do it now! Best gaming experience in quite a few years.

Gvaz

Banned
bh7812 said:
As soon as my Dad saw it he commented that the graphics are mostly early PS2 level and in some areas late PS1 level stuff so opinions on the graphics are going to vary but I've been impressed personally.

That's not an opinion, that's just flat out wrong.

Dragon

Banned
Gvaz said:
That's not an opinion, that's just flat out wrong.

Sadly my roommate comments on the graphics everytime he walks in. I think Satori Marsh is absolutely beautiful during the night, but as soon as you get close you can see problems with the textures. By no means does it take away from the game for me, but most graphics whores could not play this game. jRPGs really aren't for graphics whores anyway.

bh7812 said:
As soon as my Dad saw it he commented that the graphics are mostly early PS2 level and in some areas late PS1 level stuff so opinions on the graphics are going to vary but I've been impressed personally.
I maybe understand some comparisons to PS2 games, but PS1? There aren't any areas I've encountered that are anything like PS1-era graphics, even the late-late stuff like Omega Boost. The textures are by far the major problem with the graphics.

But I agree that the most impressive thing about the game is its scope. It's incredibly ambitious - yes, for a Wii game - and for the most part it's successful in living up to its ambition.

ymmv

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Sadly my roommate comments on the graphics everytime he walks in. I think Satori Marsh is absolutely beautiful during the night, but as soon as you get close you can see problems with the textures. By no means does it take away from the game for me, but most graphics whores could not play this game. jRPGs really aren't for graphics whores anyway.

Dolphin for the win. I was floored by how good Makna Forest looked in HD.

bh7812

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
I maybe understand some comparisons to PS2 games, but PS1? There aren't any areas I've encountered that are anything like PS1-era graphics, even the late-late stuff like Omega Boost. The textures are by far the major problem with the graphics.

But I agree that the most impressive thing about the game is its scope. It's incredibly ambitious - yes, for a Wii game - and for the most part it's successful in living up to its ambition.

I know, my Dad's comments on the graphics surprised me because I'm stunned really at what the game is doing visually, on the Wii of all systems! I have NO idea how they fit this game down to one disc, I really don't because the sheer scope of it is so large and ambitious I'd expect something like this to be on 2 or 3 discs. Monolith Soft really needs to be commended on that feat because what I do know on a tech level by all accounts it should have needed multiple discs! I'm grateful it doesn't though.

By the way congrats on finally getting your copy RPGCrazied! If anyone truly deserved their copy it was you, I'm glad it's living up to all your expectations. I figured it would once you got it and started playing it.

Gvaz

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Next time show him these:

sx4p01-246vupg.jpg

sx4p01-148fuv6.jpg

I have a few better pictures but they're towards the end of the game of just the environment but some people have complained about that

Tell him this is what the game really looks like when it's not hampered by the wii

I like this one but it's in the last dungeon so I'm linking it instead. There are no characters in the shot, it's just an environment picture.
spoiler maybe

MechaX

Man. I decided to swim all the way up to the Great Makina Falls. When looking at it from a distance, I was like "No fucking way. That shit is probably just pre-rendered or it'll just cap at an invisible wall or some bullshit."

... How wrong I was on that one. Seriously, if a developer can squeeze this kind of power and scenery on the Wii, juggernauts like SE have no room to bitch about how hard HD is.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm linking a spoiler picture of my final version of Shulk, so if you haven't beaten the game or such things put your panty in a twist, don't click it

spoilery picture

For those who've also beaten the game, what's your characters look like? I'm interested to find out!

Apenheul

It's been a while since I've played Xenoblade but I've been doing some questing yesterday. I'm up to four stars for Colony 9 now, and three stars for the other places.

Gvaz

Banned
I want to start up on a new game+ of Xenoblade for real, but I don't know if there's any interest in putting up a stream w/ commentary for it.

Basically since I'm lvl95 I'd be avoiding all combat and side quests and just working on the story, then later downing the optional super bosses and such.

Basically a sort of speedrun for the story for those who can't buy it but want to know what happens?

I'll do something like that if there's interest....cause I don't really feel like playinga NG+ for myself since I already did all the quests and got 99% of the achievements and stuff.

Damn, played this a bunch yesterday, and I'm finally up to
Eryth Sea
, around level 40. Exciting stuff! Every mission there is "timed" and I know some big shit is about to go down, so I'm scared to progress the story! I also need to go back and finish some other quests.

One I'm stuck on is the one involved in
Rebuilding Colony 6
. This guy said he's going to go to "either" the mines or the marsh, but I don't know which, and I can't find him anywhere. Urgh.

Just got to Eryth Sea, started using the transporters and I'm getting severe Secret of Mana vibes. I thought there was going to be a lot of swimming? Not that I'm complaining, though!

MicH

Holy fuck is (LVL 66 SPOILER!!)
Metal Face Gadolt
kicking my ass!
This is the second boss fight with him
. Anyone have any tips at all?

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
OK guys, I am currently Lvl 66, 83 hours in, at
Central Factory

I have completed 300-350 sidequests and 5-starred every town except Colony 6. Since the story seems to be about to end (I may be wrong in this), I am worried I advance too far to complete timed-quests, mainly Alcamoth ones. I would appreciate if someone could tell me how many areas can I advance safely before those quests expire, or if it is a really obvious "If you cross this brigde you will fuck up with all the remaining quests" point.

Also, there is an endgame mode to finish sidequests, kill uniques, etc?

Thanks!

wsippel

Banned
MechaX said:
Man. I decided to swim all the way up to the Great Makina Falls. When looking at it from a distance, I was like "No fucking way. That shit is probably just pre-rendered or it'll just cap at an invisible wall or some bullshit."

... How wrong I was on that one. Seriously, if a developer can squeeze this kind of power and scenery on the Wii, juggernauts like SE have no room to bitch about how hard HD is.
And the lead programmer considers their Wii U project an actual challenge, as if Xenoblade wasn't a big deal. Think about that for a minute.

wsippel

Banned
Dr. Ecco said:
OK guys, I am currently Lvl 66, 83 hours in, at
Central Factory

I have completed 300-350 sidequests and 5-starred every town except Colony 6. Since the story seems to be about to end (I may be wrong in this), I am worried I advance too far to complete timed-quests, mainly Alcamoth ones. I would appreciate if someone could tell me how many areas can I advance safely before those quests expire, or if it is a really obvious "If you cross this brigde you will fuck up with all the remaining quests" point.

Also, there is an endgame mode to finish sidequests, kill uniques, etc?

Thanks!
They expire very soon and it's not entirely obvious. Do them as soon as possible. Also, yes. There's an endgame. Pretty big, actually. You have to do it before entering the final dungeon, though.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
wsippel said:
They expire very soon and it's not entirely obvious. Do them as soon as possible. Also, yes. There's an endgame. Pretty big, actually. You have to do it before entering the final dungeon, though.

Thanks a lot, I will get to it before I advance further.

McNum

MicH said:
Holy fuck is (LVL 66 SPOILER!!)
Metal Face Gadolt
kicking my ass!
This is the second boss fight with him
. Anyone have any tips at all?
I beat that boss yesterday, so I'll help.
Got Sharla on your team? If not, get Sharla on your team. She's good in this fight due to the AoE spam of the boss. I played as Shulk/Dunban/Sharla for this one, and it wasn't too hard at level 67. Use Shulk's Monado Shield whenever you get a warning for Linear Laser, and if you got Monado Armour, use it before the AoE, but with three characters in the 5000+ HP range it should just hurt a lot, but not KO anyone. Meaning leave Melia out of this one. Once you get the Laser under control and got Sharla to AoE heal the AoE damage away, it becomes a fairly standard tank and spank boss. Dunban will keep his attention for the most part, leaving Shulk to Back Slash for free Party Gauge. Get the boss to half damage to end round one. In round two, he'll summon defensive drones. Take those out fast, then Chain Attack him for a 3-hit combo into Monado Buster.

You know how to build up combo multipliers in a chain attack by now, I hope? You need to use arts of the same color, or a talent art in a row to dramatically boost damage. Like (Arts spoilers)
Back Slash (red x1) -> Worldly Slash (red x2) -> Headshot (red x3) -> Monado Buster (white x4) -> Any (color xMAX) -> Same Color or Talent Art and so on.
You can follow up a talent art with any color, making Melia a good chain attacker since you can almost always just discharge an element with her.

Also, just a free minor tip for a coming boss.
If Shulk gets his arts sealed, it does NOT seal the Monado's arts. Remember that, it will save you.

Also, I think I've decided to not do any more quests until I beat the game. Yeah, I'll be missing out on some useful rewards, but I want to see how it ends now. I'll just keep the system save, probably.

Top Bottom