• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

MicH

Thanks for all the useful advice, McNum. I didn't have Sharla in my party, but the final party member. I'll switch those two. Great tips, didn't know the sealed arts and the chain-attack combomethod. Very nice. Thanks :D

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
iamaustrian said:
30-40h spoilerish:
A woman called Olga wants me to find a
Sirius Anemone
in Colony 6 so she can open her
pharmacy
I looked everywhere for hours but couldn't find one. Any help is appreciated.
Pretty sure you can find those around the area where she is. Didn't take me long to get it. Picked it up at the farm thing IIRC.

iamaustrian said:
50h spoiler maybe:
Argh, I always (accidently) kill all the "boss"-monsters of monsters-sidequest before I even start the quest. Like that
Agile Alberto (dunno if it's the same name in english version)
near
chain bridge No3 in Makna Forest
. and now I want to finish the quest but can't because stupid monster doesn't appear anymore :(
Can someone give me at least a hint what kind of monster it is, so i know what i should looking for.
That's a bird I think. And the description isn't very accurate (as usual). It's actually
down in the river, you'll need to go down there to kill it. It's close to the third and fourth (broken) bridges though).

iamaustrian said:
Same goes to
"something" Boza, the chief of those Ewok-type folks on that island in eryth sea
. I killed him just after I arrived in
Eryth Sea
and now he doesn't appear anymore.
Go where the monster should be and just save->reload a few times. I had to do this on an enemy where I was saving an NPC, and it was pretty funny since the NPC stood there cowering in fear of nothing since I had already killed the monster an hour before or so.

^
thanks a ton! you rock

ok someone help me before I go nuts and kill somebody near me (Level 43/55h spoiler):
"Building Bridges" Quest in Alcamoth: stupid racist bitch Lesunia doesn't want to talk with me although I have to to finish the quest. I always get a "i don't talk to non-highentians, punk!". Problems is I don't have Melia(not a pure breed either but better than nothing,right?) in my party atm.
What should I do?

iamaustrian said:
^
thanks a ton! you rock

ok someone help me before I go nuts and kill somebody near me (Level 43/55h spoiler):
"Building Bridges" Quest in Alcamoth: stupid racist bitch Lesunia doesn't want to talk with me although I have to to finish the quest. I always get a "i don't talk to non-highentians, punk!". Problems is I don't have Melia(not a pure breed either but better than nothing,right?) in my party atm.
What should I do?

Just
wait until she is back in your party.

waytofailself

Neo Member
Had a question. I'm lv 68 and am stuck at phase 2 of the real fight with
Gadolt
. Just one question:

Kill the adds or ignore the adds?

For some reason I can't even get my party gauge up to get a chain attack :( Something tells me I'm missing the boat somewhere. Reyn, Sharla, Shulk party btw.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Penguin said:
Question, went back to do some old side quests,
Where do I find Exile Fortress in Satorl Marsh?
Down south, near Igna Territory. Basically teleport to the Glowing Obelisk and turn right. It'll be hard to miss.

Gvaz

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
So, awhile back, someone was telling me about a sword Dunban can get, that kinda glows. How do you go about getting that?
They're machina swords. You can get them later as drops or buy them.

They look like mini monados

Gvaz

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
!!! Cool.

Does Reyn get anything like that? I'm just about to step into Prison Island, I unlocked the 2 seals.
None of the characters get a glowy weapon except shulk and dunban. Well, shulk always has his glowy weapon. His best sword I got at the end of the game was basically a sephiroth sword as a random drop though.

I've finished! The clock stopped at 156 hours (those side-quests took a while :S).

Brilliant game. I'm going to miss it so much...

...well, until I decide to come back to it for new game+

Icelight

Yeah, this was one of those rare games that I didn't want to finish because I was enjoying it so much. I just kept putting off the final boss because I didn't want it all to be over with.

The fact that there's 5 million side quests certainly made that a lot easier than in most games ;)

Eventually I gave in though, and now I'm missing it as well :(

wsippel

Banned
Gvaz said:
None of the characters get a glowy weapon except shulk and dunban. Well, shulk always has his glowy weapon. His best sword I got at the end of the game was basically a sephiroth sword as a random drop though.
Don't read this until you've reached Fallen Arm!

Fiora does as well: Dystopia.

Penguin

MetatronM said:
Down south, near Igna Territory. Basically teleport to the Glowing Obelisk and turn right. It'll be hard to miss.

Yeah found it when reading my map and discovering a giant hole. Thanks though

Just got to the mountain.. and then it turned night and was like :O

Gvaz

Banned
wsippel said:
Don't read this until you've reached Fallen Arm!

Fiora does as well: Dystopia.
Yeah I got that weapon but it's not really glowy like a monado though, it just has a glow.

I like the weapons that have particle effects though :)

McNum

Wow! This game delivers so much in the WHAM! moments.

(If you haven't faced a level 72 boss or higher, do not highlight)
I took on Egil, saved the Bionis (DURING the boss fight, loved that his "Destroy the world!" attack had infinite damage in the vision), and all is well as Shulk finally persuades Egil to live in peace. He tells of Zanza, who is not a giant, but the Monado itself. Also evil. And then we get ready for a nice heartwarming epi- *BLAM!* Shulk is shot in the chest.

Dickson: "You shouldn't have done that, brat."

Black screen. Do you want to save?

This game... just this game. It's been a while since I've played a JRPG that made me like its story this much. I might as well give up tryig to guess it, or just start guessing madly, for that madder. That's it, I predict
That in the end, the Mechonis and Bonis will high-five each other and go cartwheeling into the sunset.
I bet I'm not anymore wrong about this than my earlier guesses.

So, does it get more nuts? Please say it gets more nuts, I'd be disappointed if it stopped now.

Buttons

I just arrived at
Frontier village, got Riki and killed the big Telethia. o_O" Now it's time for me to head to Eryth sea but I'll focus on side-quests again for now.

I always played as Shulk but now that I have Riki I find myself always controlling. Seriously one of my favourite game characters in a long while. :)

Currently at around 30 hours and around level 37, am really loving this game.

Gvaz

Banned
McNum said:

I took on Egil, saved the Bionis (DURING the boss fight, loved that his "Destroy the world!" attack had infinite damage in the vision), and all is well as Shulk finally persuades Egil to live in peace. He tells of Zanza, who is not a giant, but the Monado itself. Also evil. And then we get ready for a nice heartwarming epi- *BLAM!* Shulk is shot in the chest.

This game... just this game. It's been a while since I've played a JRPG that made me like its story this much. I might as well give up tryig to guess it, or just start guessing madly, for that madder. That's it, I predict
That in the end, the Mechonis and Bonis will high-five each other and go cartwheeling into the sunset.

So, does it get more nuts? Please say it gets more nuts, I'd be disappointed if it stopped now.

The only thing I didn't like with the story is that it starts out one way and just kind of goes in the other direction.

The thing starts off going "Yo, shulk is an engineer" (which is nice because im a comp engee) but that
went nowhere.
Then it was,
Zanza is a giant who made the monado! No wait Zanza isn't Zanza, he's some dude possessing the giant. No wait He's the spirit of the Monado, No wait he's really the spirit of bionis and Mayneth is the spirit of Mechonis.

It gets more crazy too. Like it makes sense looking back, but it's too disjointed and it's not nearly as cohesive as it should be, and elements introduced earlier on are either never mentioned again or retconned.

wsippel

Banned
McNum said:

Yes, it gets more nuts. Quite a bit. Assuming you've already seen the second half of that cutscene, you should know that much already*. And the ending blew my mind. As weird as it was, it actually makes sense. Some background knowledge about the monad theory and quantum physics and stuff certainly helps figuring it all out, though. ;)

*) Seen it? Good, then this won't be a spoiler:

Fiora being kinda dead is a big deal? Then how about Shulk being dead for fourteen years already? In fact, that guy most likely isn't even Shulk (if that actually ever was his name to begin with). Shulk is dead. The protagonist is a golem. Created from a dead piece of meat, he developed his own personality, his soul, over the years. Which seems to be the reason he has no "fate" - he simply was never accounted for. Now that's nuts. And awesome.

McNum

wsippel said:
Yes, it gets more nuts. Quite a bit. Assuming you've already seen the second half of that cutscene, you should know that much already*. And the ending blew my mind. As weird as it was, it actually makes sense. Some background knowledge about the monad theory and quantum physics and stuff certainly helps figuring it all out, though. ;)

*) Seen it? Good, then this won't be a spoiler:

Fiora being kinda dead is a big deal? Then how about Shulk being dead for fourteen years already? In fact, that guy most likely isn't even Shulk (if that actually ever was his name to begin with). Shulk is dead. The protagonist is a golem. Created from a dead piece of meat, he developed his own personality, his soul, over the years. Which seems to be the reason he has no "fate" - he simply was never accounted for. Now that's nuts. And awesome.
Yeah, just watched that. So good. This game really does get more nuts. Gotta love it.

polg

Buttons said:
I just arrived at
Frontier village, got Riki and killed the big Telethia. o_O" Now it's time for me to head to Eryth sea but I'll focus on side-quests again for now.

I always played as Shulk but now that I have Riki I find myself always controlling. Seriously one of my favourite game characters in a long while. :)

Currently at around 30 hours and around level 37, am really loving this game.

I'm exactly at the same spot...

Buttons

polg said:
I'm exactly at the same spot...

I really love
Frontier Village.
One of my favourite areas so far, even if finding quest NPCs can be a bit challenging. Am excited to see what happens in the storyline now. :D

wsippel

Banned
Gvaz said:
The only thing I didn't like with the story is that it starts out one way and just kind of goes in the other direction.

The thing starts off going "Yo, shulk is an engineer" (which is nice because im a comp engee) but that
went nowhere.
Then it was,
Zanza is a giant who made the monado! No wait Zanza isn't Zanza, he's some dude possessing the giant. No wait He's the spirit of the Monado, No wait he's really the spirit of bionis and Mayneth is the spirit of Mechonis.

It gets more crazy too. Like it makes sense looking back, but it's too disjointed and it's not nearly as cohesive as it should be, and elements introduced earlier on are either never mentioned again or retconned.
I hate to disagree, but I have to. What Zanza said is actually the truth - there's no retconning going on at all.
Zanza isn't the giant. Neither is he the Monado. He's Klaus. Klaus created, or "forged", the Monado by conducting that experiment. The Monado isn't really a sword, and contrary to what the game makes you believe, there's actually only a single Monado, and that's Alvis. Alvis, being a quantum computer, is the step between the unmeasurable and the measurable, the uncountable and the countable (the monad, basically). He's the origin, the creator, but he's not god - he's just a computer after all. He needs input. And he created a universe based on the ideas and wishes of his former master. Did he (re)create Mayneth as a counter point, or was it Klaus who wanted her brought back as a rival? Probably the latter. Also makes sense considering Klaus was emotional, whereas Mayneth was logical, so the roles actually fit.
I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore anyone to tears... :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:
went nowhere.
I don't think that was ever intended to be a major plot point, it's just some background on his character. Seems to come up a little during heart-to-hearts and in a few quests and cutscenes, just off-hand. Little things like "this is why I told you to get out of the lab more" and such.

Gvaz

Banned
wsippel said:
I hate to disagree, but I have to. What Zanza said is actually the truth - there's no retconning going on at all.
Zanza isn't the giant. Neither is he the Monado. He's Klaus. Klaus created, or "forged", the Monado by conducting that experiment. The Monado isn't really a sword, and contrary to what the game makes you believe, there's actually only a single Monado, and that's Alvis. Alvis, being a quantum computer, is the step between the unmeasurable and the measurable, the uncountable and the countable (the monad, basically). He's the origin, the creator, but he's not god - he's just a computer after all. He needs input. And he created a universe based on the ideas and wishes of his former master. Did he (re)create Mayneth as a counter point, or was it Klaus who wanted her brought back as a rival? Probably the latter. Also makes sense considering Klaus was emotional, whereas Mayneth was logical, so the roles actually fit.
I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore anyone to tears... :)
He didn't forge anything, he found it, then Zanza used Klaus as his body since he can't just be incorporeal.

waytofailself

Neo Member
Still need help at lv 68 with the
Gadolt
at the end of the
Mechon
Capital City.

I've tried it with Reyn/Sharla/Shulk and I'll get blasted in one hit on some attacks. I've tried it with
Shulk/Dunban/Fiora
but there's a lot of damage going around and I don't get a lot of healing.

What can I do to get more chain attacks
so that I can break/topple/daze him
?

Thanks for the help. I enjoy how difficult the bosses are in this game, but this battle takes awhile.

MechaX

If there is anything that makes this game remind me of FFXII, it's that being chased by giant t-rexes is still scary as fuck in both.

Gvaz

Banned
I never got hit until the actual fight because you just run between the walls, otherwise you'll get shot to pieces. When you're close then get up his butt and go to town, he doesn't hit that hard close up as long as you have a good setup. Best setup imo is dunban/melia/shulk

waytofailself said:
Still need help at lv 68 with the
Gadolt
at the end of the
Mechon
Capital City.

I've tried it with Reyn/Sharla/Shulk and I'll get blasted in one hit on some attacks. I've tried it with
Shulk/Dunban/Fiora
but there's a lot of damage going around and I don't get a lot of healing.

What can I do to get more chain attacks
so that I can break/topple/daze him
?

Thanks for the help. I enjoy how difficult the bosses are in this game, but this battle takes awhile.
I think this is what I did.

I had Shulk/Fiora/Sharla combo. I had sharla have every healing art/debuff art and the art that cool down the time of other arts. I think that helped mostly. I remember having people die alot but have could revive them so it didn't matter to be. I was 72 I think? but that's all I remember doing.

waytofailself

Neo Member
Gvaz said:
I never got hit until the actual fight because you just run between the walls, otherwise you'll get shot to pieces. When you're close then get up his butt and go to town, he doesn't hit that hard close up as long as you have a good setup. Best setup imo is dunban/melia/shulk

Wrong fight. I'm talking about the one a few areas later. The one with the scene where
Reyn makes fun of Gadolt for not being such a crackshot and how the heart of a homs is still in the faces, thus keeping Gadolt from shooting Sharla
(if only the latter were the case in the fight itself).

MatthewB92 said:
I think this is what I did.

I had Shulk/Fiora/Sharla combo. I had sharla have every healing art/debuff art and the art that cool down the time of other arts. I think that helped mostly. I remember having people die alot but have could revive them so it didn't matter to be. I was 72 I think? but that's all I remember doing.

That's a different alternative. I'll give it a go.

McNum

So, I'm pretty sure that if I from my last save press A, up, A, I'm going into the endgame. What level is good to have there? The party is 68-69 and I've been dominating the boss fights for the last couple of hours (cutscene time included).

The story is picking up more and more, things are definitely about to happen... I hope I get at least some kind of explanation for (near endgame spoilers)
how Shulk is still alive. He was dead, and now he's not. And he turned the Replica of the Monado into a real one. Uh, what? And yeah, it was a nice comeback by Shulk there.
Ah, well. Out of time for today. Tomorrow I hope to finish this.

Gvaz

Banned
McNum said:
(near endgame spoilers)
And he turned the Replica of the Monado into a real one. Uh, what?
That monado is just functionally a monado, shulk is doing all that himself

hahaha, if you do the sidequests you've got quite a ways to go here's a mini spoiler
the enemies in the last level are around lvl80

The Judge

McNum said:
So, I'm pretty sure that if I from my last save press A, up, A, I'm going into the endgame. What level is good to have there? The party is 68-69 and I've been dominating the boss fights for the last couple of hours (cutscene time included).

The story is picking up more and more, things are definitely about to happen... I hope I get at least some kind of explanation for (near endgame spoilers)
how Shulk is still alive. He was dead, and now he's not. And he turned the Replica of the Monado into a real one. Uh, what? And yeah, it was a nice comeback by Shulk there.

68-69? You're probably not at the endgame at all.

McNum

The Judge said:
68-69? You're probably not at the endgame at all.
I'm about to
head to the chest of the Bionis, to go inside and face off with Zanza. I'm running out of badguys to introduce to the shiny end of the Monado here. Let me guess, he gets away? I'm half expecting another Monado upgrade before I fight him. I want an all-glowy one like the Bionis had! The one Shulk has now looks tacky... and that's saying something when the previous one was bright red.

I managed to beat the bosses, even if they conned yellow thanks to a combination of Physical Resist armor and Monado Armour spam. Cutting enemy damage by about 75% works wonders in boss fights.

I'm not going to be doing that many quests, if any from here on out. I'm decided to sprint for the finish now since I missed too many quests by rushing ahead. I'll move my save to an SD Card and begin anew and get it right later. This game seems like one of those you'd want to play more than once before you catch all the foreshadowing.

Hiltz

Level 58
132 hours
Sword Valley/Galahad Fortress

Been a while since a monster was able to kick my ass but a gigantic level 52
Mechon
was able to do it three times in a row while my party was at level 57. I managed to get his hp down to less than half but the party just couldn't survive the battles long enough to finish him. Only have 2 quests left (I will find you, Shimmering Forte!) at the moment.

Hiltz

Melhisedek said:
What party are you guys using?

Primarily
Melia with Sharla and Dunban
but I also tried replacing
Dunban
with Shulk.

NaughtyPrawn said:
How is that even possible?

Taking one's time. Although, I play an average of 3-4 hours a day. Some quests can be time consuming if you don't look up a guide to find out where they are so that's contributed to the hours and just roaming around areas to level grind a bit as well.

Hiltz said:
Primarily
Melia with Sharla and Dunban
but I also tried replacing
Dunban
with Shulk.

Oh... And how does it work? I'm kinda fond of the party I started with

Shulk, Sharla and Rayne
How do you manage without Monado?

McNum

Melhisedek said:
What party are you guys using?
It varies, I haven't got a single party that I'm using against everything. But when a boss comes along, I usually default to a Shulk/x/Sharla combination. The x can be (all characters spoiler)
Dunban for when I need physical damage and a tank, Melia for when magic is the dish of the day, and Fiora when DPS is what's needed. When hunting normal foes, it's usually Shulk/Melia/x, with Fiora more often than not being the x. Unless I'm doing affinity, of course. By the way, try winning an easy battle with the Shulk/Melia/Fiora team and listen to Shulk get himself into a mess he could have avoided. "Wow, when did you two get so strong?"

Basically, I play Shulk 95% of the time, since I don't trust the computer with the Monado, and a lot of my strategies hinge on using the Monado right. Melia is fun to play, too.

Dragon

Banned
MechaX said:
If there is anything that makes this game remind me of FFXII, it's that being chased by giant t-rexes is still scary as fuck in both.

How about fighting a unique for a quest and having a TRex appear behind you, one shot kill you as you killed the unique and NOT get credit for it. I had to lure it way away from it in order to kill it. That thing is getting its ass handed to him later when I'm leveled up.

Tendo

Just started this. As a completionist the quest system is a pain. I'm so afraid of missing one due to the day/night cycle in colony 9. Ugh. There a quest guide online I can check off as I complete?

Top Bottom