• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

boy, I just love all the little movie references.
The beach you (70-80h spoilerish)
wake up at after the fight with Fiona-Mechon in Galahad Fortress
is clearly constructed after
the beach in Planet of the Apes with the destroyed Statue of Liberty stuck in the sands

such an awesome game. kicked off FF3 from the top spot in my fav RPG list.

daakusedo

I was on quest stand by cause of my level but getting to 92, that was violent.
95,97,99 monsters beating, intense! That how you see the combat system is awesome.

Go_Ly_Dow

Just about to hit 90 hours. This is the longest I've played a game in my life before completing it.

Runners up would probably be Persona 4 with 70's hours and FFIX with roughly 72 hours.

On to the final boss!

Zafir

I sort of prefer the first battle theme. I suppose the latter one fits fighting mech's but I'm not a massive fan.

Level 60-65 mob spoilers -
Just got to the mechonis capital, backstory was pretty interesting, pissed off that I've got to do yet ANOTHER go to blah blah to open the door though. I'd gotten sick of doing it in the previous two dungeons, nevermind more! Wouldn't mind if they'd atleast try and hide it a bit. I suppose atleast the music in the capital is kinda nice.
M_Night said:
Just about to hit 90 hours. This is the longest I've played a game in my life before completing it.

Runners up would probably be Persona 4 with 70's hours and FFIX with roughly 72 hours.

On to the final boss!
Not played Persona 3? I was on 110 at the end of that!
Anabuhabkuss said:
This game is surreal. I'm 7 hours in and still messing around in colony 9.

I see there's a soundtrack that's sent when you register the game in Europe. Is it possible for us stateside to take advantage of this?
You download it from the EU nintendo site. Just make an account on the site with a fake address, register the game, and you'll have the option to download it. Runs out on the 30th though I believe, so you might want to do it asap.

Gvaz

Banned
Duderz said:
Soundtrack was phenomenal, I don't think it's quite on par with Final Fantasy XII on the whole, but there are some stand out tracks here.
I just tilted my head so much that it spun back around.

t5_2qqlo_30.png

I've been listening to the soundtrack on its own since I beat it, and the composition of it is extremely fucking good, and one of the worst problems of FF12 was the sound by far.

ElTopo said:
Spoilers for lvl 70+:
I'd say see if you can get a few more 4th skill trees, the 5th ones are not really worth the effort.

haha

One of
riki's trees
give him like +3% chance for rare chests to drop though. Anything but not worth it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Forget-you-nots are driving me crazy. Does anybody trade those? Looks like the best places to get them are from the cave in the marsh (no luck after several attempts) and the house at
Colony 6
. Been resetting for like 15 minutes and haven't gotten one yet. Not even for my collectopedia.

Edit: HAHA Got one! Of the three I need... :(
Edit2: Finally got all of them, after spending like 25 minutes I got all three (2 for quest, 1 for collectopedia) within a few minutes of each other.

Also not sure how to start the one of the later colony 9 quests, I think it's
Betty's Gift - and yes, Desiree is a soldier.
? Maybe you need 5 star affinity? Probably can't get that until the really late quest for
Shulk's last skill tree

Edit: Talked to somebody and it got Colony 9 to five stars, ha. And yeah, I can confirm that opened up the quest I couldn't get. :D

Things that I should know after 63 hours of playtime, but do not:

What does the "S" and "U" letters in front of certain equipment items stand for?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
xtrasauce said:
Things that I should know after 63 hours of playtime, but do not:

What does the "S" and "U" letters in front of certain equipment items stand for?
S means it has slots. U means it's unique, which basically just means it has gems built in that you can't take out.

hlhbk

Crap I didn't know about the digital soundtrack running out on the 30th! I just ordered the game Friday night from game in the UK and live in Nashville, TN. Any idea how long its going to take for the game to get here? Any chance before the 30th?

Dascu

xtrasauce said:
thanks chaosblade.

One more question: I just got to
Central Factory after Mechonis Field
. Am I very close to a point of no return?
When you reach the Mechonis capital (next area), go and finish up any quests in Alcamoth before continuing onwards.

xtrasauce said:
thanks chaosblade.

One more question: I just got to
Central Factory after Mechonis Field
. Am I very close to a point of no return?
After Central Factory, there's one more area "A", which at the end of it all timed quests in Alcamoth disappear.

After that, there's still "B" and "P" and at the very of "P" is an actual point of no return.

Oxx

I think the fact that it's so easy to put so much time into the game without really noticing speaks very highly of the games quality.

I'm at 60 hours and it hasn't dragged at all.

Gvaz said:
One of
riki's trees
give him like +3% chance for rare chests to drop though. Anything but not worth it.
Yes but that skill is
from the Innonence tree which is one of the trees he stars with
which kind of excludes it from the point of
5th skill trees not worth mastering

Man God

Non-Canon Member
5th Skill trees not worth it?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

One of the skill trees turns an already beastly character into a pure unstoppable one if you meet certain conditions.

Gvaz

Banned
Starwolf_UK said:
Yes but that skill is
from the Innonence tree which is one of the trees he stars with
which kind of excludes it from the point of
5th skill trees not worth mastering
Derp. My bad. Still, all the trees are worth it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One of my friends tried to argue that Shulk's fourth tree was crap when it has possibly the single best Skill in the game in it.

Hiltz

Level 70
174 hours
Currently at
Mechonis Field past the lower bulkhead area

- Upgraded
Colony 6's housing and commerce
to level 4. Need to go back to invite some npcs there too.

- Still need to do a couple of those quest item collections but don't remember which npcs to go to. Apparently, they only remind you a second time during those blue flashbacks. The inventory quest category just labels them as quest items but doesn't say who it is for.
Gotta go back to
Machina Village
to finish one of them for Kazat and another npc that wants Rainbow Zirconia and a few others.

Once you get 5 stars in an area like Colony 9 (mine's at 4) do you stop receiving quests? I noticed that you can still improve npc affinity by talking to them.

Thanks for the responses guys. Here's hopefully my last question for today. Anyone knows where I can find a Taurus Plate? I have every piece but the chest one.

Once you get 5 stars in an area like Colony 9 (mine's at 4) do you stop receiving quests? I noticed that you can still improve npc affinity by talking to them.
Don't worry, you still get quests. Some quests require 5 star affinity.

EDIT

Taurus Plate... Whereabouts in the game are you?

You can get it from a shop at
Agniritha
or from the unique monsters at
Central Factory (and one at Agniritha, name sounds like "Orobas")

Cwarrior

RPGCrazied said:
Have to say I like the 2nd battle theme better than the first. God, I wish there was a Xenoblade anime. I think it would kick ass if done right.

If the main character wasn't shulk it would be even better, shulk fits in the whiny anime main characters we have today.

RPGCrazied

Quest help on fallen arm!

Food Delivery, just says at the base of digit 2. I've been all around and up it. All I found was a lvl 95 teradactyl.

RPGCrazied said:
Quest help on fallen arm!

Food Delivery, just says at the base of digit 2. I've been all around and up it. All I found was a lvl 95 teradactyl.

Go to the
plain part, where it juts out to the west over the water, and go to the south side of it, there will be an icon that you can climb down the side, there's a large platform leading to the water, he's sitting at the end

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Woo, about 85 hours in, level 62, every possible quest before
Fallen Arm
is finished. Need to do quests there and collect stuff for
upgrading Colony 6 to level 4

Got the vast majority of the quests on my own, but probably wouldn't have found 20-30 of them without that google docs quest list.

Story-wise,
I'm not sure I trust Dickson anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens with him and some of the others like Alvis since Egil has become the big baddie for now. Also: Gadolt Face? Was obviously coming, looking forward to running into him.

theskat

Banned
7 hours in, and the side quests keep piling up!! Love it!!! (BTW, I didnt know that certain people had 2-3 quests to give you!).

Dragon

Banned
Cwarrior said:
If the main character wasn't shulk it would be even better, shulk fits in the whiny anime main charaters we have today.

No. Hope from FFXIII is a perfect example of what you're talking about. Compare the events surrounding both Shulk and Hope and also compare how they reacted.

RPGCrazied

BlazingDarkness said:
Go to the
plain part, where it juts out to the west over the water, and go to the south side of it, there will be an icon that you can climb down the side, there's a large platform leading to the water, he's sitting at the end

lol, well that was easy. Thanks!

Another problem with leveling. I'm 70 now. But since
Mechon City and Alamocth seems locked out. I didn't know this would happen, so I really don't have to many quests. I have the replica manado ones, but some of the monsters for drops are like 80 something!

Please tell me I don't have to level grind on monsters.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RPGCrazied said:
lol, well that was easy. Thanks!

Another problem with leveling. I'm 70 now. But since
Mechon City and Alamocth seems locked out. I didn't know this would happen, so I really don't have to many quests. I have the replica manado ones, but some of the monsters for drops are like 80 something!

Please tell me I don't have to level grind on monsters.

Play the game until the obvious point of no return, or do a bunch of Colony 6/9 quests that unlocked. Plenty of those send you against reasonable level foes. If you do the next few game sections you'll get up to the mid 70's easily.

RPGCrazied

Man God said:
Play the game until the obvious point of no return, or do a bunch of Colony 6/9 quests that unlocked. Plenty of those send you against reasonable level foes. If you do the next few game sections you'll get up to the mid 70's easily.

Oh. I did try an further the story.
I'm in the bionis interior, i got to the boss, and it is 75. So all my hits are missing. Does this area have quests? I didn't know that about more quests unlocking tho, I'll check it out.

RPGCrazied said:
I'm in the bionis interior, i got to the boss, and it is 75. So all my hits are missing. Does this area have quests? I didn't know that about more quests unlocking tho, I'll check it out.

If you like exploring, I'd head to the (very minor location spoiler)
Windy Cave on the Bionis leg. The monsters are a high level but they're also things like Vangs and Caterpiles. Shouldn't pose much of a danger now.

Wiseblade

Man God said:
5th Skill trees not worth it?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

One of the skill trees turns an already beastly character into a pure unstoppable one if you meet certain conditions.
It's Dunban, isn't it? When I first looked at his skillset I drooled a little.

Gvaz

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
stick your dudes with agility gems, link agility things and tension lowering preventing things

TDLink

RPGCrazied said:

What I did at this point was go kill the level 70+ monsters on Bionis' Leg that I needed stuff from to advance Colony 6, that way it was like I had a purpose instead of just purely grinding. Ie, the Magnis Arduns, the Sloth Gogols, the Royal Caterpiles, etc.

If you are looking for more endgame quests basically you have stuff to do in Colony 6 if you have upgraded it/are upgrading it, some stuff in Satorl
at the statues
, some stuff in Eryth at the
Ether Plant
, some stuff in
Fallen Arm
and some stuff in Valak. There is also a high level section of Tephra Cave that should be open to you now but all the stuff there is in the 90s.

daffy

Banned
How to defeat (Agniratha)
Gadolt II
??

I'm lvl 65 and keep getting killed by the laser that inflicts daze on everyone. I tried to chain attack into Break but it bounced off!

Playing as Sharla w/ Shulk Reyn

I'm on
Mechonis' Field
and enjoying for the first time Dunban in my party

god damn he's good

and shirtless, too. Don't know how far I can go without a main healer but Shulk (me) + Riki + Dunban are almost unstoppable right now. Only problem is that tentacular Mechon called Salvacion. First time I challenged it, we were on a bridge and one of the attacks made Dunban & Riki fly down several stories. Yeah, i'm totally killing you alone, Salvacion

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hi2u said:
Is there any point to chatting with non quest giver npc's?

If you are talking about unnamed npcs like "Colony 9 citizens" or "Alcamoth citizens" then it serves no purpose whatsoever. Well, they do give gameplay tips every once in a while and they may flesh the world a bit but... other than that, no.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Named NPCs, yeah. I don't know about unnamed ones though. I haven't been talking to many of them.

But with named NPCs it's a good idea to talk to them regularly, they'll randomly have something new to say that could raise your affinity with the area, or change their affinity with another NPC that could affect quests.

Just earlier today one old lady in Colony 9 started talking about another NPC out of nowhere and built affinity with them, and the affinity bonus that gave me toward the area was enough for it to hit five stars, which opened up a new quest.

Top Bottom