• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Gvaz

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Hate to see the game end. Been having so much fun, don't really have much after this. But SS in a couple months.
I haven't even finished TP yet, I'm waiting on finally asking people for a good kb/m control scheme cause I hate aiming in zelda games with the controller. Also hate wagglin

Hi2u

Banned
What does chatting to named npc's do? Also how do you raise affinity with people in the first colony when they don't have quests to give? If I go to my affinity chart for that area it shows a bunch of faces with their names but no link going to anyone from them...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I did not want to get separated from Xenoblade just yet... that's why I am currently sitting on a 50 hours mark 2nd playthrough even though I have completed this game previously on a 109 hours mark...

God I am so hungry for a good JRPG this generation.....

...Maybe I'll buy Last Remnant for the Xbox.... heard some mixed things about it but whatever....

Hi2u said:
What does chatting to named npc's do? Also how do you raise affinity with people in the first colony when they don't have quests to give? If I go to my affinity chart for that area it shows a bunch of faces with their names but no link going to anyone from them...

Sometimes quests in a particular area do not open up before you have chatted to a named NPC in that area. Sometimes chatting to a named NPC will make him/her reveal his/her connection to another named NPC, and this will raise the area's affinity (not to mention probably unlocking quests as well)

And don't forget about trading too, which is sometimes very important to collect items for sidequests or completing your collectophedia.

Hi2u said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31272252&postcount=13260

someone will have something new to say after certain events. Just play the game and remember to go back to old areas from time to time to have a chat with the "blue point" people

guek

Banned
Starwolf_UK said:
Hmm given the save worked for other uses it can't be the save.

Must be the game disc or the Wiis disc drive itself (as in it can't read certain disc sectors). Check the disc surface for anything that seems off. I don't think it would be the booting method else more people would experience problems but it might be an obscure one.

Yeah I have no idea what the problem is. I'm going to try running it off another loader. I'm currently using gecko.

In case anyone else has had a similar problem, I'll post my question again:

guek said:
Hey guys, so I'm back after trying that new save and my game still reboots. Now once I try to load the save, the wii force restarts. Does anyone know why this would be happening? I really want to play the rest of the game...:-(

KarmaCow

Anabuhabkuss said:
I'm in between TP and this right now, too. Great great games to get lost in.

Quick Question about Timed quests in "Leg"

When do the quests disappear? I'm currently
chasing Juju on his way to Colony 6

You sorta choose when to have those end. I think they end after a certain point regardless of what you do but you are given an option before then to do something that will understandably close them.

daffy

Banned
Ok guys I beat that one boss I asked about but now I have trouble again.

How to beat (Agirnathia)
Yaldaboath
?? I use Aura Seal Monado and it does some damage but he quickly recovers so not enough time to injure him. Any tips guys? All my attacks are missing and a single tear has streamed down my cheeks. Im using as before Sharla w/ Shulk Reyn.

Edit: wrong boss name sorry :p

RPGCrazied said:
Got to 71 1/2 in that dungeon, now I have to hunt down some quests. Anyone tell me where that key in tephra cave is?
Don't bother now, you have a named level 96 or 97 guarding the passageway and a normal 97 near the key too.

But if you want to know, it's in
one of the new areas of the cave, you just need to follow the path in Villa lake and when you see Goliante, you're there.

jgwhiteus

RPGCrazied said:
Got to 71 1/2 in that dungeon, now I have to hunt down some quests. Anyone tell me where that key in tephra cave is?

It's
pretty far in the new area that's opened up next to Vilia Lake, but it's not realistic to complete that quest until your levels are in the high 80's or low 90's, because the monsters guarding the key are lv. 96 or so I think. You can flee from a lot of them while getting there, but you have to defeat a unique and some monsters to actually get the key.

I suggest starting off leveling up your characters around Raguel Lake in Bionis Leg - lv. 74-75 Hoxes on the platforms on the right, lv. 75-77 Gogols on the left. Also lv. 73-75 Caterpiles, Arachnos and Tempest Vangs in Windy Cave, a bit to the north. Use Melia as your main if your fighters aren't landing any hits because the monsters are too high in level. And use EXP gems, skill links to characters with EXP+ skills, etc. to make the process go faster, plus some sidequest lines give huge experience - the conclusion of the
Red Pollen Orb quest gives like 200,000 EXP.
You might decide after a while you just want to finish the game, but it helps to be a bit above level 80 for the final boss anyway, and it makes the final dungeon much easier.

jgwhiteus

FTH said:
Ok guys I beat that one boss I asked about but now I have trouble again.

How to beat (Agirnathia)
Yaldaboath
?? I use Aura Seal Monado and it does some damage but he quickly recovers so not enough time to injure him. Any tips guys? All my attacks are missing and a single tear has streamed down my cheeks. Im using as before Sharla w/ Shulk Reyn.

Edit: wrong boss name sorry :p

Is this
Egil's mecha?
If you're missing a lot of attacks, it might be that you're just too underleveled - generally if a normal monster is 4-5 levels above you, you will miss a lot of attacks, and for bosses maybe it's only a few levels. Try going back and leveling up a bit? I don't remember that boss being particularly troublesome.
Also it's a good idea to finish any sidequests you got in the city, e.g. the monster challenges and "beautification" quests, because they will be unavailable after the fight. I didn't realize that the first time around, but thankfully I had a separate save right before that boss, so I was able to go back and finish them before facing him.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
All the storyline bosses problems can be solved with one simple solution: level up!

Now, the optional level 100-120 uniques on the other hand......

Also, I ABHOR Spikes. Fucking Spikes.

Leeness

Lmao, feeling a little embarrassed for (last party member)
Fiora right now. She's rocking less outfit than KOSMOS in her final form with the weird boobie cannon going on with her top. Oh Fiora. I'll get you some clothes soon. I hope.

Quests, quests, quests... And story. I am trying to get to a spot in the area I'm at, but it's on a weird level and I can't see how to get there. I'll get it soon.

Chanser

Rahxephon91 said:
A lot has been made of Gaur Plains, which is pretty great place. But while randomly exploring Fallen Hand today I came across a series of things to climb taking me up how and when I looked down I saw the world and it just hit me how awesome this game's world is.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/7c19a4d9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Dude spoiler that shit! :/

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Rahxephon91 said:
A lot has been made of Gaur Plains, which is pretty great place. But while randomly exploring Fallen Hand today I came across a series of things to climb taking me up how and when I looked down I saw the world and it just hit me how awesome this game's world is.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/7c19a4d9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

This is most unwise as the location described in this picture is very important to the overall plot and the shapes of the overall landscape sort of reveal where the place is.

In other words, spoiler tag that thing.

Are people really this spoiler sensitive? Unless you actually know what happens in this area, the context, or what it is then it really means nothing to you. Be giving context, you make it a spoiler. It just looks like an area in the game without it.

I mean if you showed me a picture of Gran Pulse and I never played FFXIII, the image would mean nothing to me.

But fine whatever.

Feep

Banned
Get that fucking picture off this page. Exploring new areas is one of the greatest joys of this game, and you're ruining it for me. (Plus, that image quality makes me want to shoot myself.)

Feep said:
Get that fucking picture off this page. Exploring new areas is one of the greatest joys of this game, and you're ruining it for me. (Plus, that image quality makes me want to shoot myself.)
Yes one screenshot of an area is ruining the game for you. God what a baby.

wrowa

Rahxephon91 said:
Yes one screenshot of an area is ruining the game for you. God what a baby.
Holy fuck. Why do people like you always think they need to be a jerk when others don't like to see certain things spoiled?

Cwarrior said:
If the main character wasn't shulk it would be even better, shulk fits in the whiny anime main charaters we have today.
Wha? Shulk is way more composed and finds his resolution way better than all of them combined.

Zomba13

I finished what I thought was going to be the final boss earlier (the boss was lvl 70 or 72 I think and big and gold). Turns out I was wrong and I feel like I've still got a ways to go. An interesting thing happened that I didn't see coming.

Love this game so much. Even made a Dickson Minecraft skin (was going to make an Alvis one but it didn't look right and the Dickson one was easier.).

God I love just how much you can explore each environment.
I was walking along tree limbs in Makana Forest trying to reach an item, but ended up slipping off and falling into a small alcove. I noticed a tunnel leading from the alcove and go through it, eventually coming across a magnificent view of the waterfalls.

You look around you and ask "can I go there? And there? And even there?" and the game is like "fuck yes you can!"

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Story finished, level 86, 105 hours.

I bought a Wii for the sole purpose of playing this game and I regret nothing (insert spinning chicken gif here). This is by miles the best jRPG I played this gen, including portables, and one of my personal favorites. Honestly, I had great expectations for the Xeno team, but this game went beyond my expectations.

The story is great, they created an interesting world with a very interesting cosmogony and the final moments of the game have been a rollercoaster of emotions. Also, the superb OST helped to build some of those feelings, and I have to give kudos to ACE for creating quite a few memorable pieces that reminded me of the good jRPGs of yore.

Also the game was packed with content. Tons of weapon, armor, unique enemies, great environments with one of the better designs I have seen in ages... One of the few complaints I have is that the equipments designs are a little too... baroque. Certain helmets went close to the ridicule in deeply emotional cutscenes, but this is a minor complaint given the scope of the game.

All in all, thank you Monolith for this little piece of videogaming art (yeah, I said art, deal with it!)

Also, I wanna share with you how I built a portable massacre-machine (7th character spoilers): I may have not reinvented the wheel, but I think someone will find it useful and also I am proud of my creature :p

OK, so take the little, innocent Fiora, and equip her prioriticing agility (I got it beyond 200). Learn the skill that makes all double attacks critical. Equip gems to maximize agility, a high level double-attack gem and a high level haste gem (I had level VI gems for this purpose). Equip and cast the art that casts haste (I forgot the name) and watch her become a human blender and the party gauge fill happily while doing 2-3 criticals per second. Combine with Melia for further massacre and Sharla for healing power. Also, build chain attacks until 4x and unleash her talent art, which will easily take 80% of the enemy health. Enjoy killing monsters 6-7 levels above you without effort!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So all girls team >>>>>>>>> all guys team eh, even if you throw Riki into the latter group.

I mean, the final party member's agility is naturally so high that she can match Dunban in aggro-drawing effectiveness, and her high speed + high dps + high attack means that she can naturally draw aggro towards herself even without too many setups. Doesn't need Enchant to deal damage to Mechon is a huge boon also.

Melia, she doesn't need Mechon-based equipment to deal damage to Mechon (spearbreak + starlight kick will only deal 1 damage but it's the topple status that's important) and she rules the AOE damage. Chill, poison, blaze, and crazy electric damage, with an all-hit attack that seals Aura + Seal Art effect. Yep yep yep.

Sharla, saves a lot of headache with the best healing abilities in the game. Sure with proper setups she can be excluded but why bother when by including her you are basically guaranteed the best healing action the game has to offer so you can experiment with other setups?

The only weaknesses this setup may have is the fact that the player is required to control Melia as her AI is so goddamn stupid if left to its own devices. It's too bad since I also like controlling the DPS dealing party member :(

mclem

Laughing Banana said:
So all girls team >>>>>>>>> all guys team eh, even if you throw Riki into the latter group.

I mean, the final party member's agility is naturally so high that she can match Dunban in aggro-drawing effectiveness, and her high speed + high dps + high attack means that she can naturally draw aggro towards herself even without too many setups. Doesn't need Enchant to deal damage to Mechon is a huge boon also.

(final party member spoilers)

I've been liking this setup, too, although I was disappointed that the Speed helmet comes with an Aggro Down gem, which is a bit of a downer. Hopefully that's not standard on later helmets.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've been thinking about doing something similar with that character, but I hadn't quite decided how to do it yet. I think I'll give that a try once I get higher level gems to use.

How does the AI do with that setup, will it
keep the haste art active?
Do you need to control the character yourself to maximize it? I would probably go with
Dunban and Sharla for the AI in that case since it doesn't use Melia very effectively, but on the other hand if you can control her yourself leaving the Wind summon up could help even more.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Laughing Banana said:

Melia, she doesn't need Mechon-based equipment to deal damage to Mechon (spearbreak + starlight kick will only deal 1 damage but it's the topple status that's important) and she rules the AOE damage. Chill, poison, blaze, and crazy electric damage, with an all-hit attack that seals Aura + Seal Art effect. Yep yep yep.

Sharla, saves a lot of headache with the best healing abilities in the game. Sure with proper setups she can be excluded but why bother when by including her you are basically guaranteed the best healing action the game has to offer so you can experiment with other setups?

The only weaknesses this setup may have is the fact that the player is required to control Melia as her AI is so goddamn stupid if left to its own devices. It's too bad since I also like controlling the DPS dealing party member :(

Maybe in the higher level battles controlling Melia is necessary, I got to level 86 so I don't know, but in combat she fared reasonably well in automatic. Sometimes I saw a good chunk of the enemy health dissapear and I immediately knew she threw a lightning bolt :D. Controlling the DPS was so fun that I didn't wanted to control the mage as I find her more boring (personal opinion), however I have heard from other gaffers that it is a must controling her to beat the level 100+ uniques. I say main her if neccesary, man the destruction machine otherwise!

Edit:

chaosblade said:
I've been thinking about doing something similar with that character, but I hadn't quite decided how to do it yet. I think I'll give that a try once I get higher level gems to use.

How does the AI do with that setup, will it
keep the haste art active?
Do you need to control the character yourself to maximize it? I would probably go with
Dunban and Sharla for the AI in that case since it doesn't use Melia very effectively, but on the other hand if you can control her yourself leaving the Wind summon up could help even more.

Unfortunately, when the buff wears off, the art gauge will be filled at approximately 25%. However the regular mobs will be already down when that time comes. You can make the most of the buff if you take care of enemy groups separately, as you will have the buff ready for each combat. Also there is a way to abuse the green-icon skill that auto topples the enemy with some of the advanced skills, but I never got to that point as I decided to finish the story before I got ridiculouly overpowered.

wrowa said:
Holy fuck. Why do people like you always think they need to be a jerk when others don't like to see certain things spoiled?

hey now, this is a Xenoblade thread. It's a thread of love and self-wank and joy

I have a question: is
Droid Fiora
a worthwile party member? I'm at Mechonis Field so you know what to expect from that spoiler

mclem

Anasui Kishibe said:
Droid Fiora
a worthwile party member? I'm at Mechonis Field so you know what to expect from that spoiler

She's extremely adaptable, with the right parts; she can be avoidance tank, absorption tank, melee damage or caster damage, I believe.

Anasui Kishibe said:
hey now, this is a Xenoblade thread. It's a thread of love and self-wank and joy

Droid Fiora

Absolutely

They been my main since I got them

Also been using Shulk and Sharla in my team, Shulk because his weapon also damages Mechon + Monado art Enchant and Sharla for the healing

_Alkaline_ said:
You look around you and ask "can I go there? And there? And even there?" and the game is like "fuck yes you can!"
For the most part, yes. I especially love height in video games. I live in a (very) flat area, so climbing huge structures and looking out for miles is a thrill I don't get to have in real life.

But I wish you could get to the top of those gigantic natural structures that line the edges of Bionis' Leg. The ones that look like they're covered with grass and trees? I'll bet the view from those things is gorgeous, and i was genuinely disappointed when I left the area without finding my way up one of them.

sIGl9l.jpg

CoolS

Yay, finally 5 stars in Colony 9 and Frontier but I still can't access Riki's
4th skill line quest
. However, I finally discovered the spreadsheet for myself, which is really really awesome :) Missing quests here i come!

CoolS said:
Yay, finally 5 stars in Colony 9 and Frontier but I still can't access Riki's
4th skill line quest
. However, I finally discovered the spreadsheet for myself, which is really really awesome :) Missing quests here i come!
There are some prerequisites for that quest besides having the necessary stars.

after becoming a harddcore pc gamer in the 00s, and spending hundreds of hours on fallout 3 and new vegas (along with other WRPGs), this morning I just said "ah what the hell" and ordered it from GAME and and looking to mod my wii now to play it. I haven't really played jrpgs since the playstation 1, and even though im not in high school anymore and a lot of the tropes that resonated with me back then wont work now, I have missed some of that old jrpg flavor, as a fan of final fantasy 6, and chrono trigger, i hope this game scratches that itch.

in fact i can't think of any jrpgs aside from ff12 (briefly), and ff10 (quit on that god awful mountain path boss fight) that I played last gen... that era was halo/gta/tony hawk, for me mostly.

Dragon

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
in fact i can't think of any jrpgs aside from ff12 (briefly), and ff10 (quit on that god awful mountain path boss fight) that I played last gen... that era was halo/gta/tony hawk, for me mostly.

I think it's sort of ironic that you quit on Seymour considering your screen name :D.

Gvaz

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Are people really this spoiler sensitive? Unless you actually know what happens in this area, the context, or what it is then it really means nothing to you. Be giving context, you make it a spoiler. It just looks like an area in the game without it.

I mean if you showed me a picture of Gran Pulse and I never played FFXIII, the image would mean nothing to me.

But fine whatever.
I agree with you as well, knowing there's a cool area in the game just makes me go
emot-allears.gif
"That area looks so cool, I can't wait to get there!" instead of getting all mad about it, but I've just given up on it in this thread.

thefro

Anasui Kishibe said:
I'm on
Mechonis' Field
and enjoying for the first time Dunban in my party

god damn he's good

and shirtless, too. Don't know how far I can go without a main healer but Shulk (me) + Riki + Dunban are almost unstoppable right now.

Yeah, that's my go-to party when I'm having trouble. Lots of break/topple/daze combos and chain attacks.

Dragon

Banned
Grampasso said:
Uh? I thought it was that kind of rock elemental boss fight?

In FFX? The hard boss on the mountain path is Seymour and he has a
zombie attack which is pretty broken unless you know how to fight him

Top Bottom