• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Hiltz

199 hours
lvl 79

The monsters are getting tough now. Tried to do the quest for
Replica Monado II but the lvl 85 turtle monster in Satorl Marsh
is too strong. Still have to finish up going through
Inner Bionis when Junks takes you there. Also unlocked Shulk's 5th tree skill, upgraded Colony 6 to level 4 and got Colony 9 to 5 star status.

Philia

You guys should had mentioned the beginning battles sucked. Is it just me or the battles are stupid hard at the very beginning with Shulk and Fiora?

Rich!

Philia said:
You guys should had mentioned the beginning battles sucked. Is it just me or the battles are stupid hard at the very beginning with Shulk and Fiora?

They weren't a challenge. I struggled with the first BIG bosses, but now going back to them with a new game, they're piss easy

its all about your technique

Philia

Having played a MMO is a requirement to understand?

Anyway, I'm more of a traditionalist in combat, I grew up on turn based and setting my party moves and attacks. In other words you can call me slow if you like. I'm also deaf so I do not hear their attacks or understand what's going on with them. A friend was telling me that I shouldn't focus on the AI too much and just heal them when they needed it.

I'd be battling an enemy with a level below or two of my party and still get owned. I don't understand the point of spamming when it just ends up being a battle of attrition?

Nert

Oh wow, I also got my copy in from ASDA today (it almost took a month, though). I'm looking forward to really getting into this tonight!

Clevinger

Philia said:
I am, I'm just not a fan of FF12 battle system or worse, streamlined version of it.

The battle system gets more complicated after a few hours, as new things keep getting introduced. Stay in there. I wasn't very fond of it at first either, but it's grown on me a lot.

Philia said:

Things get easier when you get Reyn back in your party. He's a tank.

Philia

Clevinger said:
The battle system gets more complicated after a few hours, as new things keep getting introduced. Stay in there. I wasn't very fond of it at first either, but it's grown on me a lot.

Oh good, thank you. I was worried that it was just me or something. I really love this game too for everything else. The battle system is just a huge hurdle right now. ;_____;

Gvaz

Banned
Philia said:
I'm also deaf
Oh man I'm sorry :( You're missing out on quite a lot of good music and voice acting. I wish I could show you.

And I didn't mean to say you need to have played an mmo, but the combat style and mechanics are familiar to those who have. At first the ff12 comparison makes sense, but as you go on it feels more like an mmo because of positioning and everything else.

The combat system keeps adding on, but the game is forever easy up until the end.

Man God (or anyone), how did you get a max speed character by Alcamoth (max speed is 120% right? Or is it 25%? Heard different things.)? I only got 9% one time and now I have 2 8%s. Should I stack gems on?

Also, I thought learning the battle system was very easy. It wasn't until I was well into the game that I thought "Wait, didn't people say the battle system was complicated?" I thought it's pretty simple to grasp overall. If you start using a lot of different characters it could get complicated though.

Carlisle

nincompoop said:
IT'S FUCKING HERE!!! After weeks of waiting, my Italian copy from Amazon finally arrived! Now if only I had the time to actually play it x-(

Of course, Zavvi has yet to reimburse me for my order which never arrived, and they ignored my message asking them why. What do I have to do to get my money back from them?
My order from The Hut (sister site of Zavvi) also never arrived. I left I think 5 or 6 messages in the message center without any response. Finally I got on Skype and just called them on the phone. If I wasn't going to get my game I at least needed my damn money back.

The guy was nice and said he would send me some kind of declaration form to fill out and fax back which would allow them to trace the shipment and determine whether it had been lost. 3 or so days after that call I finally got a response to my messages apologizing and saying that my shipment had indeed been lost (I still hadn't even received the form they said I had to fill out), and that they were sending me a new one.

I got a shipment confirmation a few days later and I'm now playing the waiting game again. I'm still well within the expected delivery window so I've got some time before I start getting pissed again. But the impression I got from that string of events was that they realized my order was never sent out to begin with, and they just played it off as lost. So the perception of them sending a new one at their cost scores extra brownie points. But maybe not. I don't really care as long as I get my game or my money back.

So I'd say try giving them a ring and maybe they'll wake up and respond to your messages.

Hiltz

Bel Marduk said:
Man God (or anyone), how did you get a max speed character by Alcamoth (max speed is 120% right? Or is it 25%? Heard different things.)? I only got 9% one time and now I have 2 8%s. Should I stack gems on?

Also, I thought learning the battle system was very easy. It wasn't until I was well into the game that I thought "Wait, didn't people say the battle system was complicated?" I thought it's pretty simple to grasp overall. If you start using a lot of different characters it could get complicated though.

By maximum speed, do you mean using quick step gems ? 25% is the maximum amount a character can have. The stat will become highlighted in green to let you know that you can't increase it any further by using gems.

Hiltz said:
By maximum speed, do you mean using quick step gems ? 25% is the maximum amount a character can have. The stat will become highlighted in green to let you know that you can't increase it any further by using gems.

OK thanks. Is 25% really the max? Because I heard Bebpo said it went up to 120% in the JP playthrough thread.

well well well, I've hit the first brick wall
Disciple Lorithia
is kicking my arse to the infinite and beyond

I understand I have to kill the orbs first but man, battleground is quite the mess. And thanks Reyn, for swimming into oblivion

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Anasui Kishibe said:
Disciple Lorithia

I understand I have to kill the orbs first but man, battleground is quite the mess. And thanks Reyn, for swimming into oblivion

Oh I hated that battle with a passion.
What level are you? I leveled to 75, and ignored the orbs and completely focused on her, because she just keeps re-summoning them. It takes a LONG time, but you can eventually wear down her shield and do some normal damage. Once you do it becomes very easy. I used Shulk/Reyn/Riki, for reference.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anasui Kishibe said:
Disciple Lorithia

I am surprised people had difficulties fighting against this boss. My first try, I was not over-leveled or anything, and I won without too much effort. I was using Melia as the leader, with Sharla and Dunban. Maybe... people should try Mind Blast or Monado Purge for a change?

2nd walkthrough progress report: 87 hours in, now with character's highest level 95 (Melia) and the others on 93-92s. I've completed all the sidequests in Tephra Cave: boy some of the fights were really intense. I pretty much ran through all the 95-96 enemies with Melia on the lead on level 93 and Shulk and the final party member at 90-91. It's impossible to kill all those 95-97 monsters/uniques without her as the lead due to the difference in levels.

Lots of intense fights last night. Loved it.

siaoliao

Neo Member
Like some others, today I received my copy. Unlike most, though, this copy actually made the trip from The Hut/Zavvi. It arrived closer to the 10 of the 10-15 day window I was given, so I consider myself pleased and fortunate.

Haven't had a chance to play but I certainly will do so soon.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
This game is like a fully-realized single player MMORPG in terms of exploration. The scope is just stupidly huge. I thought I had pretty much seen most of an area and then boom, I stumble into an upper level. WTF.

Nert

Just a couple of hours in, and wow, the music is outstanding. I can tell that I'm going to be hunting down sidequests relentlessly, too.

jgwhiteus

Anasui Kishibe said:
Disciple Lorithia

Yeah, as noted above, I don't think I had too much trouble with her, but that's because I used
Melia in the party as the lead, and I think Lorithia doesn't have the same defense against ether attacks as she does physical attacks. I don't even remember there being orbs in the fight - I was overleveled, but not insanely so. I might have used her Mind Blast skill as well (equivalent of Shulk's Purge)

Hiltz

Just curious, what gems are you guys equipping on to
Melia besides 3 electric plus gems on a weapon?

It seems like I may be approaching that same boss fight soon and would like to switch back to having the above character as the party leader.

JJD

Guys, what is the best loader to play this game?

I don't want to install USB Loader, I don't want to play an ISO, and I don't have a spare USB HD. The SD card I'm using is really small. I just want a loader that will allow me to play this PAL game on my Homebrew enabled Wii.

My Homebrew channel is updated to the last version, but my Wii firmware is still 3.2. If possible I don't want to upgrade to 4.3 as I'm afraid it will brick my Wii. Any tips?

Spruchy

JJD said:

I don't want to install USB Loader, I don't want to play an ISO, and I don't have a spare USB HD. The SD card I'm using is really small. I just want a loader that will allow me to play this PAL game on my Homebrew enabled Wii.

My Homebrew channel is updated to the last version, but my Wii firmware is still 3.2. If possible I don't want to upgrade to 4.3 as I'm afraid it will brick my Wii. Any tips?

So what's it like living in constant fear of everything and anything?

You can probably run the necessary homebrew with 4.0 though.

JJD said:

USB Loader can load from the disk drive. It's how I play the game.

JJD

SlipperySlope said:
USB Loader can load from the disk drive. It's how I play the game.

When I tried to load it, it asked for a USB HD or SD card...

I must not have the correct settings. What wii firmware are you on, just out of curiosity?

JJD

FINALLY managed to play the game!!! I don't know if the problem was my firmware (successfully updated to 4.3), or the settings on the USB Loader, but now the game is running fine!

Luigiv

JJD said:
FINALLY managed to play the game!!! I don't know if the problem was my firmware (successfully updated to 4.3), or the settings on the USB Loader, but now the game is running fine!
Sounds like it was firmware. The game must require one of the newer official IOS's to run.

PigSpeakers said:
Oh shoot. This game got jiggle physics?! GOTY.
It kind of hurts it. Sharla seems to be a respectable girl and I really don't need to see her boobs bounce whenever she turns around while talking about her missing boyfriend.
I also didn't need to have Edgil's sister who is a machine(?) have her boobs bounce at the slightest bounce.

It was really poorly implemented in the game.

Rahxephon91 said:
It kind of hurts it. Sharla seems to be a respectable girl and I really don't need to see her boobs bounce whenever she turns around while talking about her missing boyfriend.
I also didn't need to have Edgil's sister who is a machine(?) have her boobs bounce at the slightest bounce.

It was really poorly implemented in the game.

Machinas are a combination of human tissue and mechanical (non-organic) parts afaik. Something like the Terminators or, better, the Borgs from Star Trek. So to me, it makes perfect sense that Egils sisters boobs are bouncing.

RurouniZel said:
Oh I hated that battle with a passion.
What level are you? I leveled to 75, and ignored the orbs and completely focused on her, because she just keeps re-summoning them. It takes a LONG time, but you can eventually wear down her shield and do some normal damage. Once you do it becomes very easy. I used Shulk/Reyn/Riki, for reference.

I'm 78. Isn't her shield related to the orbs? Am i doing this wrong? Because it's hard to even make a dent in her armor, but things go slightly faster when those orbs are down. And if Reyn doesn't decide to disappear from the battlefield

Laughing Banana said:
I am surprised people had difficulties fighting against this boss. My first try, I was not over-leveled or anything, and I won without too much effort. I was using Melia as the leader, with Sharla and Dunban. Maybe... people should try Mind Blast or Monado Purge for a change?

I've been using Purge a LOT and doesn't make a lot of difference. maybe I should start using Melia and Cyclone'ing these damn things

jgwhiteus said:
Yeah, as noted above, I don't think I had too much trouble with her, but that's because I used
Melia in the party as the lead, and I think Lorithia doesn't have the same defense against ether attacks as she does physical attacks. I don't even remember there being orbs in the fight - I was overleveled, but not insanely so. I might have used her Mind Blast skill as well (equivalent of Shulk's Purge)

so Melia it is. Prepping her for Mind Blast, i've got something like 250k points to spend on her arts, first time I'm using her lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Anasui Kishibe said:
I'm 78. Isn't her shield related to the orbs? Am i doing this wrong? Because it's hard to even make a dent in her armor, but things go slightly faster when those orbs are down. And if Reyn doesn't decide to disappear from the battlefield

Hmm, maybe you're right. I dunno, I just know that after about 10 minutes and widdling them to about half health, I suddenly started doing more damage. I'll have to retry that battle in the future to be sure.

Seems most people suggest using
Melia
anyway.

Wiseblade

It seems NoE can't get enough of trolling Operation Rainfall:
image.jpeg

Rich!

Wiseblade said:
image.jpeg

hahaha.

I love NOE right now. Xenoblade is absolutely fucking incredible, and the last story looks superb

haven't heard much about Pandora, but will probably buy it anyway just to support NOE right now.

Datschge

mclem said:
The prizes are *very* specific.
So what? They are games in the same genre published by the same publisher, so that publisher advertises them all at once. You're not supposed to be the target (but you're free to import).

You are really starting to sound like Tales fans following the announcements and releases in Japan and calling that trolling the fanbase in the West.

Rich!

What I find absolutely astounding is that NOA is still refusing to publish Xenoblade, even though it has done astonishingly well in the UK/EU.

I guess there's always the hope for a Wii U HD remake for you american people. (it looks absolutely jaw-dropping in HD on Dolphin, but pop-up is still an issue with enemies and shit).

NTom64

Wiseblade said:
image.jpeg

Oh NOE, you so crazy!

Been doing a walkthrough of the game myself lately, think I'll try my hand at this contest. Hope they don't have too much of a problem with strong language lol

mclem

Datschge said:
So what? They are games in the same genre published by the same publisher, so that publisher advertises them all at once. You're not supposed to be the target (but you're free to import).

Uh, I'm British! And - from what I've heard - Pandora's Tower is *significantly* less RPGey than the other titles, so I'm not sure they fit naturally as 'in the same genre'

The most significant thing they have in common is that they are all coming out over here and not planned to release in the US, and as such were targets for Operation Rainfall.

Wiseblade

Datschge said:

You are really starting to sound like Tales fans following the announcements and releases in Japan and calling that trolling the fanbase in the West.
I'm British.

Shut up.

Anasui Kishibe said:
Disciple Lorithia

She killed me once, and on my second time I nailed her, it did take a while though, she has lots of HP
My biggest hurdle in this battle was
the a.i of the other two characters kept running into the poison water and standing there, losing masses of HP, I'd have to target one of the small things Lorithia summons further in the middle of the platform so they'd run back, and then I'd target Lorithia again
it wasn't a perfected technique but it got me through it

I didn't attack any of the summoned orbs, she respawns them really fast, and they take a while to take down

Top Bottom