• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Rich!

Datschge said:
So what? They are games in the same genre published by the same publisher, so that publisher advertises them all at once. You're not supposed to be the target (but you're free to import).

No need, I walked to my local Game on the day of release and brought it.

And I brought another one yesterday at my work. Yeah, I live in the UK.

Rich!

I have to admit, the voice acting for Xenoblade is superb. I had no issues with it at all.

It was slightly surreal hearing a Dorset accent in one area though - but at the same time, felt good man (I'm from ye olde dorset).

Wiseblade

richisawesome said:
I have to admit, the voice acting for Xenoblade is superb. I had no issues with it at all.

It was slightly surreal hearing a Dorset accent in one area though - but at the same time, felt good man (I'm from ye olde dorset).
Who was the dorset accent?

I can't identify any of the accents in the game... :(

DEO3

Since the first three party members you get are a tank, a healer, and a dps, I've never seen an opportunity to use anyone else in my party. I'd love to use some of the other characters, but how would you survive a fight without Reyn or Sharla in your party?

BluWacky

DEO3 said:
Since the first three party members you get are a tank, a healer, and a dps, I've never seen an opportunity to use anyone else in my party. I'd love to use some of the other characters, but how would you survive a fight without Reyn or Sharla in your party?

There are three other characters who can function in a tank-like capacity in the game in my opinion - SPOILERS FOR ALL FUTURE PARTY MEMBERS -
Dunban can draw aggro and evade most attacks with high enough Agility, Riki has naturally very high HP and good countering abilities (such as his Spike aura), and Fiora can be built in various different ways so a tank build is perfectly viable with some of her abilities like Guard Shift etc.

As for healing, (SPOILERS AS ABOVE)
Keep Melia out of the line of fire and continually use Healing Gift and Summon Aqua to heal herself and others while doing nuke damage occasionally with other Summon spells. Riki has an area heal. Shulk's Light Heal isn't too bad, surprisingly.

I do still think you need Sharla for a few boss fights if you're not super high level, but then I beat (SPOILER FOR NEAR END GAME BOSS DETAILS DO NOT READ IF YOU'RE NOT VERY CLOSE TO THE END OF THE GAME)
Disciple Lorithia with Fiora, Riki and Reyn, which I really wasn't expecting at all given that my usual "powerhouse" team of Shulk/Dunban/Sharla did very badly against her.

Gvaz

Banned
Luigiv said:
Sounds like it was firmware. The game must require one of the newer official IOS's to run.
If that's the case he probably could just have updated that specific IOS even.

Meier

My copy finally came! The homebrew/region free stuff seems pretty daunting even with that detailed walkthrough so I probably won't try and do it until this weekend. It's a shame it's all text.. pictures would be nice, heh.

Gvaz

Banned
Most of the interfaces for things (last time i did it) are all text based (like they just display text with maybe a image banner at the top)...so you want a screenshot of text instead of straight up text?

Meier

Gvaz said:
Most of the interfaces for things (last time i did it) are all text based (like they just display text with maybe a image banner at the top)...so you want a screenshot of text instead of straight up text?
Numbered lists with a LOT of text following them aren't very newbie friendly. I've never modded a system or even really used emulators.. not typically my thing. Photos interspersed just make things more palatable.

RurouniZel said:
Hmm, maybe you're right. I dunno, I just know that after about 10 minutes and widdling them to about half health, I suddenly started doing more damage. I'll have to retry that battle in the future to be sure.

Seems most people suggest using
Melia
anyway.

that's what i'm doing, but not as my main, i suck at using debuff characters

really hate this battle :( and the hunt for the bloody Black Liver Bean

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think the GAF wiki tries to dumb it down so much that it seems more complicated than it actually is. It takes like 5-10 minutes tops and there is nothing you can do to break your Wii, barring a freak accident where the power goes out or something.

Most of the process is just putting stuff on your SD card. The actual hackmii thing is literally just a matter of pressing the 1 button three times and waiting until it finishes and the system restarts.

Anasui Kishibe said:
that's what i'm doing, but not as my main, i suck at using debuff characters

really hate this battle :( and the hunt for the bloody Black Liver Bean
I don't think she's worth using if you're not maining her, her damage output is pitiful since she doesn't spam attack with the summoned elements.

It's not hard to use her, just summon elemental->use talent art to attack->repeat. Unless you want to keep an elemental up for the buff, in that case just summon a different one to release. She always uses the most recent summoned elemental for an attack.

The only skills I ever even bothered with aside from those are speak break+starlight kick since it's a totally easy/broken way to quickly topple enemies.

Much as I want to play Last Story, no way in hell am I going through that import business I did with Xenoblade.
Just don't order from Zavvi? :lol

JJD

Luigiv said:
Sounds like it was firmware. The game must require one of the newer official IOS's to run.

That's right! As soon as I updated, not only I could play it on USB Loader but on Neo Gamma too, which wasn't working before! Took me a good 3, 4 hours to sort everything out though!

Meier said:
Numbered lists with a LOT of text following them aren't very newbie friendly. I've never modded a system or even really used emulators.. not typically my thing. Photos interspersed just make things more palatable.
I was extremely wary about the whole process, but the NeoGAF guide is exceptionally easy to use; I would just strongly recommend you do it with your Wii connected to the internet, because trying to do things offline got confusing for me.

And Clipper's always willing to help out in the Homebrew thread.

RPGCrazied said:
Much as I want to play Last Story, no way in hell am I going through that import business I did with Xenoblade.
Just get it from GAME or shop to or somewhere else, and have something to play while you wait. :)

Hiltz

The only problem I had with the boss battle for
Disciple Lorithia
was that
Dunban
would stay in the green acid pool fighting the boss while I was busy taking out the other enemies. It took a few times to get him to come to me by using the d-pad party command order.

My girlfriend just bought this and is getting disc read errors. (PAL)

I have an unmodded Wii, so is the ONLY thing to do as Google suggests is use an external USB stick? :\ Or is it not all copies and if we return it to GAME we could probably get one that reads fine?

Rich!

Foliorum Viridum said:

I have an unmodded Wii, so is the ONLY thing to do as Google suggests is use an external USB stick? :\ Or is it not all copies and if we return it to GAME we could probably get one that reads fine?

Wait, have you got a PAL or american Wii?

If it's american, you need to mod it with bannerbomb, install the homebrew channel and relevant region-free app. If it's a PAL Wii like mine then it should just...work.

richisawesome said:
Wait, have you got a PAL or american Wii?

If it's american, you need to mod it with bannerbomb, install the homebrew channel and relevant region-free app. If it's a PAL Wii like mine then it should just...work.
Yeah, it's a PAL Wii too.

It keeps trying to read the disc and bringing up an error. That's why I'm confused!

JJD

Foliorum Viridum said:

See if other games are having the same disc error. If you have Smash Brothers try it too, as that DVD is know to be "hard" to read. If you can load any other game just fine, just return the game and get a new copy. Your Wii is from the UK right?

Rich!

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, it's a PAL Wii too.

It keeps trying to read the disc and bringing up an error. That's why I'm confused!

Right, your disc drive might be fucked. Mine is - each game comes up with read errors (apart from gamecube games, oddly), but I can rip them to USB with the CFG USB Loader fine with no issues whatsoever. It's the only way I can play my retail games.

You got issues with Smash Bros Brawl? If that has errors too, it's gotta be the disc drive struggling with Dual Layer discs.

ymmv

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:

The laser in your Wii's probably dirty, so you might want to try a cleaning disc. If that doesn't work, you got to have the Wii DVD player fixed. Or you couldmod your Wii and try playing the disc off a USB drive - but you have to dump the game disc first, tricky if the laser is on its last legs.

JJD said:
See if other games are having the same disc error. If you have Smash Brothers try it too, as that DVD is know to be "hard" to read. If you can load any other game just fine, just return the game and get a new copy. Your Wii is from the UK right?
Yep, SSB is working fine. Just put Xenoblade back in and nope. I mean my Wii is a launch one but it's never had a disc read error before and is loading everything else.

Urgh.

Guess I'm going back to GAME tomorrow then. :\ So retarded. She has nothing to play tonight now!

ymmv said:
The laser in your Wii's probably dirty, so you might want to try a cleaning disc. If that doesn't work, you got to have the Wii DVD player fixed. Or you couldmod your Wii and try playing the disc off a USB drive - but you have to dump the game disc first, tricky if the laser is on its last legs.
Everything is loading fine so I doubt it's my laser.

I don't want to mod my Wii and use external drives when we've bought the game legitimately, either!

Foliorum Viridum said:

afaik xenoblade is a dual layer disc (like SSBB) to hold all the data.
Dirty Wii lenses have known problems to read those discs. You can get the official Wii lense-cleaning set pretty cheap though.

edit: beaten like twice :(

If it has the error again I guess we can try to clean it, since the disc clearly does work. Strange that this is the only game to have an issue.

Thanks though, guys!

Rich!

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't want to mod my Wii and use external drives when we've bought the game legitimately, either!

There ARE benefits. Faster loading times, no wear on your drive laser whatsoever (if it is indeed dying), and no getting up to change discs (lol). Also, loads of cheat codes with some fairly useful ones like the one that ups the FPS from 25fps to 30fps.

It's worth doing, whether you're being legitimate with the game or not.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think Subspace Emissary (or at least the cutscenes) are on the second layer of SSBB, so that might make a difference in testing.

Hopefully you get it worked out.

Oh yeah, I know there's benefits from homebrew, but I simply don't use my Wii enough any more to justify it. Once Zelda is out the console is basically dead to me!

Zwei

richisawesome said:
Also, loads of cheat codes with some fairly useful ones like the one that ups the FPS from 25fps to 30fps.

so, the only way to use cheats is to run the game off an HDD? Good to know.

Rich!

Zwei said:
so, the only way to use cheats is to run the game off an HDD? Good to know.

It isn't (you can use the ocarina app), but it's far more convenient.

Now I've finished Xenoblade, I'm flying around using the moon jump code, trying to get some awesome shots in HD (yeah, using dolphin).

Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh yeah, I know there's benefits from homebrew, but I simply don't use my Wii enough any more to justify it. Once Zelda is out the console is basically dead to me!

but dude

sreturntodreamlandboxar.jpg

tumblr_ldcaieRstl1qzj5ggo1_500.jpg

620591_197102_front.jpg

There's three awesome games that you should look out for. As a huuuge fan of Kirby Super Star, I'm well excited for Kirby (it's a true sequel, really!).

God damn, the view from the exit of Tephra Cave gives me chills every time, it's so -- huge and creepy, especially at night. There's maybe one other game I've played that made me feel similarly.

By the way, does anyone else get Quake 2 and/or Half-Live vibes from the look of the areas in
Sword Valley
? It's probably a stretch but I can't be the only one!

Orgun

God, everything I see about this game makes me want to try it. Well...mainly the start screen. I just don't want to get my Wii out from the back of my attic. Any chance of a port?

Gvaz

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh, and now it's randomly working!

Well... I guess she has to finish it in one sitting just to be safe :p Haha.
Yup that's definitely your laser not the game. Get something to clean it with, otherwise you'll have to send it back to nintendo to fix it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Orgun said:
God, everything I see about this game makes me want to try it. Well...mainly the start screen. I just don't want to get my Wii out from the back of my attic. Any chance of a port?
To what? 3DS? WiiU?

I wouldn't count on it, the people throwing around the NoA WiiU version aren't being serious.

Rich!

Orgun said:

A port?

Xenoblade is by Monolith Soft, who are owned by Nintendo. I think you can work out the answer to your question yourself.

Why do people get so worked up about the possibility of a port in the first place? All it does is lead to inevitable disappointment when it doesn't happen. One of the major problems with the whole Operation Rainfall saga (remember that?) was that people had unreasonable expectations about the future.

The game already exists - in English, no less - and is perfectly enjoyable. As much as I would love to see it in a higher resolution, it's not gonna happen.

Edit: I know about Dolphin, too. That's probably about as close as we're going to get to a "port".

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Orgun said:

To be honest I can't help but feel the game is being held back a bit by the hardware. I mean, it looks great for what it is, but still... a Wii U port with, for example, better image quality and higher resolution would be awesome. Not expecting it though, and I probably wouldn't buy the game twice anyway (unless it was more of a remake), so yeah...

ivysaur12

Banned
I just got the seventh character.

Makna Forest is beautiful. Frontier Village is beautiful. The monster designs are gorgeous. The gameplay is fantastic.

Easily the best JRPG of the generation. If the story can answer a lot of questions, then it might be in my god-tier of JRPGs.

Question: how far am I? I'm 24 hours at this point.

Gvaz

Banned
ivysaur12 said:

Makna Forest is beautiful. Frontier Village is beautiful. The monster designs are gorgeous. The gameplay is fantastic.

Easily the best JRPG of the generation. If the story can answer a lot of questions, then it might be in my god-tier of JRPGs.

You're in MF and you say you got the seventh character? You mean the 6th.

CoolS

ivysaur12 said:

Oh, the story will definitely deliver, don't worry about that :)

You are not even at 50% yet. I would say more like 35%, though I haven't finished completely yet :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ivysaur12 said:

To put things in perspective, you're still early enough in the story that you aren't even really TO the story yet, you're just getting hints as to what it's about. The best is yet to come, for sure.

And I guess that is technically the seventh character. Or eighth, if you count the brief period where you get to use
Dickson
for one fight. But really it's the sixth permanent character.

Rahxephon91 said:
It kind of hurts it. Sharla seems to be a respectable girl and I really don't need to see her boobs bounce whenever she turns around while talking about her missing boyfriend.

It was really poorly implemented in the game.

It just made me laugh when I saw it. I guess it does kind of take away from some of the seriousness.

ivysaur12

Banned
chaosblade said:
To put things in perspective, you're still early enough in the story that you aren't even really TO the story yet, you're just getting hints as to what it's about. The best is yet to come, for sure.

And I guess that is technically the seventh character. Or eighth, if you count the brief period where you get to use
Dickson

I meant sixth.

And 35%?! Oh man, love on me, Xenoblade. I'm not even close to tired of it, yet!

Wichu

chaosblade said:

Dickson

Don't you use Dunban, Dickson and Mumkhar during the beginning sequence?
So he's actually the ninth!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The jiggle physics and "male gaze" got really annoying later in the game, since the camera seemed obligated to have tits in the frame every time there was a female in a cutscene. I mean, when you're showing Shulk, do you REALLY have to show a pair on each side of his head in the background?

A little fanservice like that is okay. But for a game as serious as this one it just felt totally out of place, and was pretty far out of hand toward the end of the game.

Gvaz

Banned
Speaking of male gaze, go into a victoria's secret and look at all the posters of women. It's rather amusing. Wouldn't a woman's store have female gaze?

That being said I don't really mind or care about gender gaze.

Top Bottom