• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

I assume you get information about the giants and spiders from very, very late quests? I know it's brought up in some fairly early ones, but it seems like there are some late ones that delve into it as well.
There's one or two more towards the endgame.

Is it even worth it buying weapons and armor from merchants? Seems like whenever I buy any I get a better drop from an enemy or from a quest about 5 minutes later. 20 hrs into the game btw.
I never bother personally; I always grab them from monsters since they seem to drop silver chests pretty regularly (plus if you're lucky, you can get better number of slots, especially for weapons).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
aceface said:
Is it even worth it buying weapons and armor from merchants? Seems like whenever I buy any I get a better drop from an enemy or from a quest about 5 minutes later. 20 hrs into the game btw.
I don't think it's worth it to buy stuff, but drops are all luck. As you get further there will be more types of armor and a lot of different weapons getting dropped, and you might struggle to find anything that suits you, i.e., you want light armor but most of what's available is heavy, so it's better to just buy in that case.

Don't think it's ever worth it for weapons.

Wichu

I'm at uni now without my Wii, so I haven't been able to play Xenoblade (not that I'd have time to anyway). So I'm listening to the soundtrack instead :)

ivysaur12

Banned
I've been doing the reconstruction quest for
Colony 6
and I need a Fossil Monkey. I've been looking all over
Makna Forest
but can't find it as a random blue drop. I know that I can trade with Berryjammy, but I can't do her quest to get her affinity up to trade it.

Any help?

ivysaur12 said:
I've been doing the reconstruction quest for
Colony 6
and I need a Fossil Monkey. I've been looking all over
Makna Forest
but can't find it as a random blue drop. I know that I can trade with Berryjammy, but I can't do her quest to get her affinity up to trade it.

Any help?
As far as I know, you don't actually need affinity with specific characters to get them to trade specific items; instead, you need the area affinity to be at a certain level. And there are three Nopon that you can trade with for Fossil Monkey. One requires one star, one requires two, and one is an overtrade bonus. The two you can trade with that require affinity:
Berryjammy, who requires 1-star affinity and appears at the Contemplation Terrace in Frontier Village between 21:00 and 6:00, and

Puko, who requires two stars and appears near the weapon shop at Kyn Shopping Street between 9:00 and 18:00.

ivysaur12

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
As far as I know, you don't actually need affinity with specific characters to get them to trade specific items; instead, you need the area affinity to be at a certain level. And there are three Nopon that you can trade with for Fossil Monkey. One requires one star, one requires two, and one is an overtrade bonus. The two you can trade with that require affinity:
Berryjammy, who requires 1-star affinity and appears at the Contemplation Terrace in Frontier Village between 21:00 and 6:00, and

Puko, who requires two stars and appears near the weapon shop at Kyn Shopping Street between 9:00 and 18:00.

Got it, thanks. I think I should be doing more quests in general.

EDIT: Zazadan is responsible for leveling me up maybe 3 times.

crazy monkey said:
what is the biggest boss in the game or character in terms of level ? Some roaming dinasaur or boss?

I've seen a
level 126 Unique Troll in Mount Valak , near Sowrd Valley's entrance

I was like
N77ke.jpg

not sure if it's the right level, but I'm pretty sure it's 120+

DarkMehm

Is there a prerequsite for the
Quests of Orkatix (the boy who doesn't grow in Machina Village)? I can't seem to trigger it and I'm already almost done at Agniratha. I've spoken with everyone twice and activated all possible Harmony in doing all the other quests there.

Anasui Kishibe said:
I've seen a
level 126 Unique Troll in Mount Valak , near Sowrd Valley's entrance
116 maybe? I know there's a Level 114-116 enemy around there. He(it)'s my next foe to take down.

Dascu

DarkMehm said:
Quests of Orkatix (the boy who doesn't grow in Machina Village)? I can't seem to trigger it and I'm already almost done at Agniratha. I've spoken with everyone twice and activated all possible Harmony in doing all the other quests there.
It's an endgame quest, you can't access it yet.

TDLink

DarkMehm said:

Pre-req is that you have done the story events after finishing
Agniratha and Mechonis Core.

Rich!

I beat the +100 monster near bionis' wrist/valak mountain

oh yes. absolutely no need for it whatsoever, didn't even save it after. but yeah

Hiltz

Nostalgia~4ever said:
sharla did you see me? Did you see what I did!

Hah, some of the dialogue is painful but not quite as eye-rolling as in some other games. At least the 6th character has some funny lines.

Wichu

Hiltz said:
Hah, some of the dialogue is painful but not quite as eye-rolling as in some other games. At least the 6th character has some funny lines.
Everyone together now!
Riki together too!

Pyrrhus

My copy finally arrived from the UK. I haven't had a chance to open it or mod my Wii yet but I was surprised at how sturdy and heavy the package was. It really drives home how cheap and terrible domestic packaging has become...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ahahahah who could have guessed low affinity with Riki can be very useful for forging multiple very important Lvl 6 gems? I literally LOLed last night when I figured this out. Thanks to the fluffy guy, I've managed to score dozens of high-profile (heh) level VI gems. Thank you Riki! Heh.

Preparing to fight the 99 and 100-up uniques plus the strongest monster.

The best possible Level VI divine protection.
The best possible Level VI haste/double attack linked with double attack critical and critical hit heal.
The best possible Level VI spike damage protection.
The best possible Level VI night vision.
The best possible Level VI topple protection.
The best possible Level VI daze protection.
The best possible Level VI agility gems.

Anything more I should prepare? Hmmm.

anaron

Hiltz said:
Wut. The in-battle conversing is the best interaction between the characters and is occasionally hilarious.

A lot of the main stuff is exposition galore though and increasingly annoying.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Laughing Banana said:
Ahahahah who could have guessed low affinity with Riki can be very useful for forging multiple very important Lvl 6 gems? I literally LOLed last night when I figured this out. Thanks to the fluffy guy, I've managed to score dozens of high-profile (heh) level VI gems. Thank you Riki! Heh.

Preparing to fight the 99 and 100-up uniques plus the strongest monster.

The best possible Level VI divine protection.
The best possible Level VI haste/double attack linked with double attack critical and critical hit heal.
The best possible Level VI spike damage protection.
The best possible Level VI night vision.
The best possible Level VI topple protection.
The best possible Level VI daze protection.
The best possible Level VI agility gems.

Anything more I should prepare? Hmmm.

Topple duration up, the single most useful gem in the game. Also skip haste vi gems no matter how sexy they are and go with glory gauntlets instead.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man God said:
Topple duration up, the single most useful gem in the game. Also skip haste vi gems no matter how sexy they are and go with glory gauntlets instead.

What monster drops the Unique Glory Gauntlets? I know it has a haste VI property and the level 100 unique giant troll (the one that appears during the night) in front of Three Summit Sage drops it, but ever since I've finished all the Giants' Sidequests the level 120 dragon always hang around during the night as well... which is a situation I definitely cannot handle right now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Laughing Banana said:
What monster drops the Unique Glory Gauntlets? I know it has a haste VI property and the level 100 unique giant troll (the one that appears during the night) in front of Three Summit Sage drops it, but ever since I've finished all the Giants' Sidequests the level 120 dragon always hang around during the night as well... which is a situation I definitely cannot handle right now.

The dragon is only there when it is snowing.

Anything level 99 (maybe 98?) or above can drop glory gauntlets.

Hiltz

At level 85 I was doing a quest in
Valak Mountain
to locate a statue in the area of La Luz Church a few minutes ago. I did a suicide jump off the cliff when a giant lvl 95-97 purple monster came lumbering down the hallway and caught me off guard. Seems like finishing that quest triggered the appearance of the monster.

Speaking of these high level monsters (lvl 99+) , when exactly can you kill them? I heard the level cap is 99 so do you get to fight those monsters after you finished the story and the game lets you free roam after or do you have to start a whole new game but keep your original your level, equipment, arts, party affinity, and skill tree info ?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You can kill 99's fairly easily at 95 or so, 90 is basically the bare minimum for a non named, 95 for named.

For the over 99's I'd say the closer the better, but if you get lucky and have a good battle plan you can do it a bit early.

CrankyKong said:
Goddamn there are a lot of sidequests.
Is it worth trying to complete every one of them?

If you feel like it; they're not necessary in any way. Do at least accept any quests you come across though; you'll find you can complete a fair number of them just by wandering the environment.

Hiltz

Man God said:
You can kill 99's fairly easily at 95 or so, 90 is basically the bare minimum for a non named, 95 for named.

For the over 99's I'd say the closer the better, but if you get lucky and have a good battle plan you can do it a bit early.

Ah I understand now. Thank you.

Currently, the highest level monster I've fought and beaten is a lvl 88
flying Telethia in Eryth Sea
but it went down easy. However, it probably wasn't a unique one[/spoiler]. I can handle a group of 3-4 of those bipedal lizard warriors at [spoiler Kromar Island [/spoiler] but that unique lvl 87 lizard leader beats my team down. Too bad the unique's minion's won't be lured away. By the way, is it better to equip 1-2 spike defense gems on a character and/ or use daze/topple/Art Seal restrict gems instead this late in the game?

Wow
Disciple Lorithea
may be one of the worst boss battles I've encounted in a long while. Spawns are always shitty but then you have the environment and terrible slowdown. Completely terrible.

Taxman

So I'm trying to kill Ancient Daedala but I have no idea what I should be doing to do so. He kills me almost immediately and I don't know what it is that's doing it. Does Purge not disable his spike damage? What else is he doing to me that I'm not aware of? The biggest problem I have had with this game is that often there's so many numbers popping up at once that I'm dying from spike damage but I don't even realize it until I fall over.

Taxman said:
So I'm trying to kill Ancient Daedala but I have no idea what I should be doing to do so. He kills me almost immediately and I don't know what it is that's doing it. Does Purge not disable his spike damage? What else is he doing to me that I'm not aware of? The biggest problem I have had with this game is that often there's so many numbers popping up at once that I'm dying from spike damage but I don't even realize it until I fall over.
Well, spike damage is purple, so you should be able to tell how much damage you're taking from that. Purge does indeed disable spike damage (among other things), and it's honestly the only way to win against some uniques
especially that damn level 98 spider in Tephra Cave that inflicts Daze and Slow on contact
. If you gem and link skills properly you can make spike damage a minor issue.

The best way to use Purge, I've found, is to equip Haste and Double Attack gems, as well as Talent Up, which lessens the damage of auto attacks but fills the Talent Gauge more quickly. With the right setup, you can fill the Talent Gauge in two or three hits and spam Purge while your allies deal damage for an easy win. Note that this doesn't work for enemies significantly higher than you in level, as your accuracy might not be high enough to hit in the first place.

Orgun

Luigiv said:
That one's just for Dolphin (it's technically a bug fix, not a cheat code). An actual Wii will run the game in PAL60 mode just fine, no codes required.
I just checked out Dolphin on a whim and wow! My Wii can stay in the cupboard!

Xenoblade ordered! :)

Zornica

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
what's a good way to grind to level 85? I'm sick of getting mauled by level 85+ mobs, which is all I'm getting from quests right now

level 80 anywho

try satorl marsh, there are some quests and 83-86 monsters (at night!)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anasui Kishibe said:
what's a good way to grind to level 85? I'm sick of getting mauled by level 85+ mobs, which is all I'm getting from quests right now

level 80 anywho

Wind Cave area, Bionis' Leg. (72-75 mobs, with some level 80's in the mix.)

The platforms above Raguel Lake is a good choice to hit once you hit 83-84. The gogols there are around level 85-88 (the front of Wind Cave is also a good spot). Satorl' Marsh Judgment ***** (forgot the last name sorry but it is south of Sororal Statues) is a good place as well (level 83-88 Gogols)

85-93ish hit Alcamoth. Above that hit Tephra Cave. 96-99 hit the Three sage summit at Valak Mountain.

Laughing Banana said:
Wind Cave area, Bionis' Leg. (72-75 mobs)

The platforms above Raguel Lake is a good choice to hit once you hit 83-84. The gogols there are around level 85-88 (the front of Wind Cave is also a good spot)

85-90 hit Alcamoth. 90 above hit Tephra Cave. 96-99 hit the Three sage summit at Valak Mountain.

always punctual, LB, thanks

mclem

Aren't all the Raguel enemies in the 70's, not the 80's? I've fought a bunch of them and I'm only 76.

There's slightly higher-level gogols (capping out at 80, I think?) on the NW of the hill whose name escapes me (near Sky Stage, has Tortas underneath)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anasui Kishibe said:
always punctual, LB, thanks

My pleasure :)

Don't forget to finish the Red Pollen's final quest in Frontier Village for Exp VI gem which will give you a 75% boost in EXP gain. Very helpful to boost things up.

mclem said:
Aren't all the Raguel enemies in the 70's, not the 80's? I've fought a bunch of them and I'm only 76.

There are two sections of platforms: the one you access from the north side (from the front of Wind Cave) contains Gogol on the 80s. The one you access from the south side contains hoxes on the 70s. Perhaps you are thinking about the latter?

Or does my mind playing tricks one me? Hahaha.

In any case the South of Sororal Statues in Satorl Marsh contains Gogols level 85-88 which you can use to train until level 87-88-ish before hitting Alcamoth.

Edit: Hmm... I am not so sure about the platforms above Raguel Lake anymore, can anyone check? Although I am very positive about the place south from the sororal statues in Satorl that you can access from the left side during the upwards climb through the river.

not sure about them Ragols, I finished the quest about getting one of their drops (was it maybe the Horn for Colony 6?) and they all seemed 78-79

and ty for reminding me of the gem...I've got it, its just that i always forget to slot it, heh

I gotta say the pacing in this game is really excellent. I was getting kinda weary of constantly fighting tough monsters and bosses in
Valak Mountain, Sword Valley but and Galahad Fortress but the way your arrival on Mechonis (which is a lot different than what I was expecting) plays out is such a nice change of pace.
It really makes me to go on playing, which is what great game design is about, I guess. Oh man, this game is doing terrible things to my free time, but yet I don't want it to end!

Was going to play Dark Souls, but looks like my Xenoblade just arrived! Gotta admit this thread pumped me up a bit, hope it was worth the import. :)

JJD

Guys I just reached
Colony 6
for the first time and the game is too easy...am I a little overpowered? (I'm at lvl. 29)

Also is
Dunban a good party member? I just got him, should I replace Sharla or Reyn with him?

Top Bottom