• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

JJD said:
Guys I just reached
Colony 6
for the first time and the game is too easy...am I a little overpowered? (I'm at lvl. 29)

Also is
Dunban a good party member? I just got him, should I replace Sharla or Reyn with him?

First time? As in, before the Ether Mine? If so then 29 is very overleveled...

And yes Dunban is worth it. Replace Reyn.

ivysaur12

Banned
So, this is one of the best JRPGs I've ever played and I'm not even halfway done with it.

Gvaz said:
Imo replace sharla, you don't really need her heals, especially if you're overleveled

Is that a general rule? I have the first six party members, who do you recommend to use?

Gvaz

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Is that a general rule? I have the first six party members, who do you recommend to use?
Well personally my favorite was
melia
/shulk/dunban. If I needed heals shulk did well and
melia
could heal but generally it wasn't needed. I'd just go into chain attack and get a group heal that way with talents.

Plus you did
emot-sicknasty.gif
damage, something that was hard to replicate with others.

Taxman

SecretMoblin said:
Well, spike damage is purple, so you should be able to tell how much damage you're taking from that. Purge does indeed disable spike damage (among other things), and it's honestly the only way to win against some uniques
especially that damn level 98 spider in Tephra Cave that inflicts Daze and Slow on contact
. If you gem and link skills properly you can make spike damage a minor issue.

The best way to use Purge, I've found, is to equip Haste and Double Attack gems, as well as Talent Up, which lessens the damage of auto attacks but fills the Talent Gauge more quickly. With the right setup, you can fill the Talent Gauge in two or three hits and spam Purge while your allies deal damage for an easy win. Note that this doesn't work for enemies significantly higher than you in level, as your accuracy might not be high enough to hit in the first place.
The thing is, that's what I've been doing. I've beaten everything except the last story bosses and all the enemies levels 105 and above. My standard strategy is to spam Purge like crazy and it worked great on everything including the level 98 spider in Tephra Cave, but for some reason it's not working this time and I'm having a hard time figuring out what is doing it. I'll Purge and within 4 seconds Reyn and his sky-high defense and maxed out hp is KO'd anyway without a vision or anything. Do some bosses have something where they don't stay purged as long as normal?

Is Shulk/Dunban/7th a top end game party (for high level UMs too) and an alternative to Shulk/Dunban/Melia? Because I don't really want to use Melia a whole lot...

ivysaur12 said:

I use Shulk/Dunban/7th for the normal enemies when healing isn't needed, because of their large damage potential. Then for more drawn-out fights like bosses and uniques, I swap in Sharla in place of 7th...the fight goes slower, but her healing lets me survive.

Taxman said:
The thing is, that's what I've been doing. I've beaten everything except the last story bosses and all the enemies levels 105 and above. My standard strategy is to spam Purge like crazy and it worked great on everything including the level 98 spider in Tephra Cave, but for some reason it's not working this time and I'm having a hard time figuring out what is doing it. I'll Purge and within 4 seconds Reyn and his sky-high defense and maxed out hp is KO'd anyway without a vision or anything. Do some bosses have something where they don't stay purged as long as normal?
Hm. I've been looking around and watching videos for that specific unique, and it seems like the only two constants are anti-Spike Damage gems and a team with good agility.

Remember to link skills for maximum spike protection and agility, and if you need to you can also link that skill that gives you greater accuracy at night. I just beat it by spamming topple, frankly.

Taxman said:
Maybe Purge missed? I had Purge miss when fighting the Mechon boss.

Instead of using Purge every 10 seconds or something, I'd suggest fighting some
Slobos at Valek Mountain's Three Sage Summit
and farm Spike Defence crystals. That way you can reduce all or most of the spike damage (max of 75% with one VI gem, 100% with two gems) and use a different Monado move instead.

EDIT

Also, at around the 2/3 HP depleted mark, the Mechon boss will gather an Aura. So if you died around then, that's probably why.

Gvaz

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Is Shulk/Dunban/7th a top end game party (for high level UMs too) and an alternative to Shulk/Dunban/Melia? Because I don't really want to use Melia a whole lot...
Why not, If I may ask?

Gvaz said:
Why not, If I may ask?

Well one I'd prefer controlling Shulk by the end really and with Melia in the patty I'd have to control her sinceh ere AI sucks apparently, and 7th is cool while Melia is only OK design wise and 7th is supposed to be really good but I want 7th and Melia comparisons.

Gvaz

Banned
High cheekbo- mmmm titties....

anyways as I was going to say:

Melia has high damage output potential in bursts, but the AI (not just melia but all of the AI actually) is way too conservative, so the AI melia just summons....and doesn't discharge....she just fuckin sits there twiddling her thumbs not throwing anything or rarely. So, to get her utilized properly you have to:

1. gem her with +lightning dmg gems (don't bother with night vision because that's only auto attacks/physical arts, ether will almost always hit)
2. control her, summon agility first, then summon lightning and then copy. then discharge your two lightnings for absurd damage and watch (her get attacked unless you have aggro stealth gems and talents that reduce her aggro because aggro in this game is stupid, it's based on damage, not aggro amounts like say in WoW) her deal like absurd amounts of damage. if she has topple dmg+ gems as well this becomes even more absurd burst.
3. use spear break and starlight kick every chance you get, they can force a topple if they hit, then the AI will react immediately to topple status if they're not in the middle of something. Shulk generally never does the Daze attack simply because it inflicts daze on topple....so like a retard he never uses it, he saves it. However when it's toppled he'll use it immediately.

Those are her main traits. I find it fun to play a mage class. Just sit back and let them do all the work while I nuke the shit out of things :D

Zwei

BlazingDarkness said:
Melia's VA
http://imgusr.celebscentral.net/images/users/7420/200841/Jenna-Louise_Coleman%7C3-27.jpg[IMG]

[B]That doin' anythin' for ya?[/B][/QUOTE]

uh yeah, my pants just got tighter for some reason..

BlazingDarkness said:
That doin' anythin' for ya?

It's doing something for my Monado, but...

Gvaz said:
High cheekbo- mmmm titties....

anyways as I was going to say:

Melia has high damage output potential in bursts, but the AI (not just melia but all of the AI actually) is way too conservative, so the AI melia just summons....and doesn't discharge....she just fuckin sits there twiddling her thumbs not throwing anything or rarely. So, to get her utilized properly you have to:

1. gem her with +lightning dmg gems (don't bother with night vision because that's only auto attacks/physical arts, ether will almost always hit)
2. control her, summon agility first, then summon lightning and then copy. then discharge your two lightnings for absurd damage and watch (her get attacked unless you have aggro stealth gems and talents that reduce her aggro because aggro in this game is stupid, it's based on damage, not aggro amounts like say in WoW) her deal like absurd amounts of damage. if she has topple dmg+ gems as well this becomes even more absurd burst.
3. use spear break and starlight kick every chance you get, they can force a topple if they hit, then the AI will react immediately to topple status if they're not in the middle of something. Shulk generally never does the Daze attack simply because it inflicts daze on topple....so like a retard he never uses it, he saves it. However when it's toppled he'll use it immediately.

Those are her main traits. I find it fun to play a mage class. Just sit back and let them do all the work while I nuke the shit out of things :D

All that sounds good, but what about 7th?

It's not that I don't want her in my party at all, just would prefer to use 7th. Otherwise I'd use her.

Gvaz

Banned
Hrm, Well 7th I didn't particularly like because 7th gains aggro way way too fast, and it fucked with my rhythm I had going on. Perhaps if I stuck double attack gems and auto attack stealth gems it would have helped, but 7th was always stealing threat.
I found it too frustrating even with the massive damage 7th could output if you gemmed 7th properly.

ivysaur12 said:
Is there also a way to get affinity between party members raised quicker?
I think the best way is just to have those ones you want to raise between do sidequests together

There's also the gifting thing but that has mixed results

Gvaz said:
Hrm, Well 7th I didn't particularly like because 7th gains aggro way way too fast, and it fucked with my rhythm I had going on. Perhaps if I stuck double attack gems and auto attack stealth gems it would have helped, but 7th was always stealing threat.
I found it too frustrating even with the massive damage 7th could output if you gemmed 7th properly.

Hmm, well I'll wait to hear some more opinions. I just made a thread on GameFAQs lol :p I'll see.

To raise affinity, I usually just accepted/completed lots of quests, which sometimes gives you 2 or 4 hearts between the controller character and the two active characters. That and use the characters in battle (for the Burst Affinity, I think).

If you're Level 80ish, there's a trick that involves an unique monster at
Eryth Sea
, which gives you 2 or was it 3 hearts every couple of seconds.

Taxman

Aveyn Knight said:
Also, at around the 2/3 HP depleted mark, the Mechon boss will gather an Aura. So if you died around then, that's probably why.
ahahaha I never even got that far. My party averages level 98 but can't last more than 15 seconds against him. I'll try the Spike Defense route instead.

Aveyn Knight said:
To raise affinity, I usually just accepted/completed lots of quests, which sometimes gives you 2 or 4 hearts between the controller character and the two active characters. That and use the characters in battle (for the Burst Affinity, I think).

If you're Level 80ish, there's a trick that involves an unique monster at
Eryth Sea
, which gives you 2 or was it 3 hearts every couple of seconds.
What's this trick?

BlazingDarkness said:
What's this trick?
There's an unique monster at Kromar Beach (I think towards the south of Eryth Sea?) whose spike causes Sleep. So equip the character you control with Sleep Resist or Debuff Resist Gems (to 100%) and give the others weak weapons. Every time the other characters hit the unique monster, they'll fall asleep- at which point, you can wake them up and gain party affinity. If you're too high level and the unique monster reaches low health, just flee the battle and repeat.

STG

BlazingDarkness said:
There's also the gifting thing but that has mixed results

what is gifting? I am ~40 hours in and I have never heard that you can gift stuff to your party members, how does that work?

STG said:
what is gifting? I am ~40 hours in and I have never heard that you can gift stuff to your party members, how does that work?
You know those glowing blue collectibles you've been picking up around the world? Your party members like some of them -- a lot. Just go into the inventory and select one, and there will be an option to "gift" the item between two characters. It's a bit time consuming and not at all fun, but it works.

ivysaur12

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
You know those glowing blue collectibles you've been picking up around the world? Your party members like some of them -- a lot. Just go into the inventory and select one, and there will be an option to "gift" the item between two characters. It's a bit time consuming and not at all fun, but it works.

What.

I had no idea that existed.

Taxman

So I've figured out what half my problem with Mr. Level 105: He resists my Purge 80% of the time. Does anybody know how to make this less of an issue? Does leveling up Purge help? Shulk is level 98 and Purge is at 9 out of 10. It never misses, it merely doesn't do the one thing I need it to do.

Taxman said:
So I've figured out what half my problem with Mr. Level 105: He resists my Purge 80% of the time. Does anybody know how to make this less of an issue? Does leveling up Purge help? Shulk is level 98 and Purge is at 9 out of 10. It never misses, it merely doesn't do the one thing I need it to do.
Eh, then just forget purge and focus on crafting Lvl VI anti-spike gems, and couple that with anything you can do to keep your agility up.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
SecretMoblin said:
This has got to be the most elaborate RPG ever created and I've played a ton of PC RPG's.

They found a way to make everything in the game more useful than other RPG's except low tier weapons and armor of course.

I forget which RPG it was but I played one or two that let you upgrade your low level weapons/armor to the point that they can compete with weapons/armor found late in the game.

ivysaur12

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
This has got to be the most elaborate RPG ever created and I've played a ton of PC RPG's.

They found a way to make everything in the game more useful than other RPG's. Except low tier weapons and armor of course.

I forget which RPG it was but I played one or two that let you upgrade your low level weapons/armor to the point that they can compete with weapons/armor found late in the game.

Wait for Xenoblade 2, with an overhauled quest system that shows you where quest characters you need to find on the map are. Also, with more intricate quests.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
SecretMoblin said:

Is this a building affinity thing?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
ivysaur12 said:
Wait for Xenoblade 2, with an overhauled quest system that shows you where quest characters you need to find on the map are. Also, with more intricate quests.
Are you just fantasizing or have you heard something concrete from Monolith Soft? I greatly anticipate a true HD Xenoblade sequel on the WiiU. The only thing holding back XB from GOTD was the Wii hardware.

The game is certainly very detailed - the skill links are just a fantastic idea, even if the developers had to use the not-so-clever trick of making "shapes" to prevent abuse - but I still wish there had been more control allowed over your teammates, preferably with a Gambit-like system. Yes, the game works fine without it, but I come from a world of turn-based combat and I'm extremely anal about having total control over the actions of my allies.

BorkBork said:
Is this a building affinity thing?
Yes, it builds affinity between the two characters, provided you use the right items.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sooo... what's the most effective team to tackle all the upper 100+ unique monsters? Last night I managed to defeat the level 105 Mechon on the Jifum Beach using Shulk, Sharla, and the last character. Out of 4 battles I lost one (sudden death to Shulk when the bastard activated its Aura...) It's pretty 'safe', but every battle took some time to finish.

So what's the most effective setup to defeat these beasts? I imagine Shulk must be inserted there somewhere because without Armor/Speed/Shield their attacks most of the times are just too damaging.

Laughing Banana said:
Sooo... what's the most effective team to tackle all the upper 100+ unique monsters? Last night I managed to defeat the level 105 Mechon on the Jifum Beach using Shulk, Sharla, and the last character. Out of 4 battles I lost one (sudden death to Shulk when the bastard activated its Aura...) It's pretty 'safe', but every battle took some time to finish.

So what's the most effective setup to defeat these beasts? I imagine Shulk must be inserted there somewhere because without Armor/Speed/Shield their attacks most of the times are just too damaging.
Well, the spreadsheet has tips on the "Misc." page. There's also that video out there of the hardest enemy in the game getting walloped by a team of
Melia/Dunban
/Shulk.

Oxx

Shaheed79 said:
Are you just fantasizing or have you heard something concrete from Monolith Soft? I greatly anticipate a true HD Xenoblade sequel on the WiiU. The only thing holding back XB from GOTD was the Wii hardware.

Unfortunately I imagine creating a 'true' sequel to Xenoblade with HD production values might be a bit expensive and time-consuming for Monolithsoft and Nintendo.

Certain aspects would have to be scaled-back and streamlined.

Just made it to the top of
Mechonis Field
. I'm burning myself out trying to complete every quest as soon as I get it. And my OCD with the Collectopedia knows no bounds. When I finally progress the story it's terrific though.

Oxx said:
Unfortunately I imagine creating a 'true' sequel to Xenoblade with HD production values might be a bit expensive and time-consuming for Monolithsoft and Nintendo.

Any time I read "streamlined" when referring to HD development, I think of FF13. And lots of closed-off corridors.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Shaheed79 said:

Oxx said:

It is quite... perhaps ironic is the word?... in that precisely because of the existence of a console like Wii that a JRPG like Xenoblade can exist. I do not see many companies can handle creating a JRPG with a scale as large as this game with high-definition assets/production values... and even amongst those who can most probably none will ever will.

I imagine the cost will be very astronomical.

Mael

Damn it I've been thrown into a loop, they said Hod Plank was in the forest so I just went there and roamed the land for 5 hours or something only to have it drop from enemies :/

Top Bottom