• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah, I could easily buy it at a local Saturn, but isn't going to be all in Deustch?
The game will come with German packaging, but it's the same game as the rest of Europe, so it will have English language options and English voice acting.

Edit: Beaten.

I can confirm that the German version of Xenoblade can be played with English text and voices no problem. Be careful, though: Not every game lets you do this. The German version of Epic Mickey, for example, doesn't contain any English text, so I'm stuck with the horribly bland and rushed German translation. Wish I'd known this beforehand so I'd imported the UK version. :/

how hard is the goddamn
Veteran Yozel
?

I swear this is the most frustrating fight I've encountered and yes, it also beats the bitch. So many adds all jumping on me, all causing bleeding damage, health decreasing dangerously fast...I'm two levels above him and still cant defeat the bastard

after five minutes of pain, I went like
tumblr_lalevxNDXu1qcq4pj.gif

this is another Reckless Godwin situation, I'm telling you

Orgun said:
HOly shit a JRPG where your armour changes actually show up on your character. /faint

and in cutscenes, too

Anasui Kishibe said:
if you're doing all the quests I can see this lasting around 150 hours easily. I'm at 128, final dungeon, and still have a lot of sidequests to do :p

I'm at 136 hours, level 95. Still have between twenty to forty sidequests to find and complete. I'm enormous but I told myself I would beat the shit out of this game when I got it, so that's what I'm going for.

I got Dark Souls at a midnight launch and have barely touched it, so I'm thinking I'll finish up Xenoblade tomorrow and come back to it for the highest level quests and UMs sporadically. Everyone in here knows this by now, but it's an amazing game.

Gvaz

Banned
mclem said:
and in cutscenes, too</div>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody></table>
</div>

The impressive thing is flashbacks.
In flashbacks, the game displays whatever armor your team was wearing at the time, regardless of you changing it later.

Anasui Kishibe said:
if you're doing all the quests I can see this lasting around 150 hours easily. I'm at 128, final dungeon, and still have a lot of sidequests to do :p
I think we're progressing at exactly the same pace :lol
I went to the final dungeon to collect materials for finishing Colony 6 rebuilding, but I have a shit load of new sidequests to do (many which I can't finish yet because the enemies are too high level) I'm at 128 hours too

My one problem with the combat is that enemies that are X amount of levels above you, you just can't hit, every attack misses, even though an enemy with similar attacks but is 2 levels lower I can fight (still challenging) but at least I can damage them
Kinda takes some of the challenge out of the game because it's simply a case of grinding before I can damage them

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
BlazingDarkness said:
My one problem with the combat is that enemies that are X amount of levels above you, you just can't hit, every attack misses, even though an enemy with similar attacks but is 2 levels lower I can fight (still challenging) but at least I can damage them
Kinda takes some of the challenge out of the game because it's simply a case of grinding before I can damage them
That's pretty annoying, I couldn't kill that one big monster that roams Gaur Plains because I couldn't hit it. Didn't have a problem other than that. Got one level, went back, and took it down easily. Kind of silly to me, and it keeps leading me to wonder how you're supposed to kill the 100+ monsters.

I know people have mentioned agility and stuff, but even with 50% agility from gems and more from skill links I couldn't hit a level 81 monster with any consistency until it's bar was yellow and not red.

Laughing Banana said:
It is quite... perhaps ironic is the word?... in that precisely because of the existence of a console like Wii that a JRPG like Xenoblade can exist. I do not see many companies can handle creating a JRPG with a scale as large as this game with high-definition assets/production values... and even amongst those who can most probably none will ever will.

I imagine the cost will be very astronomical.
I'm hoping this is what Versus XIII is going to be like, given some of the interviews with Nomura, but who really knows at this point since we've hardly seen anything.

UltimateIke said:
Just made it to the top of
Mechonis Field
. I'm burning myself out trying to complete every quest as soon as I get it. And my OCD with the Collectopedia knows no bounds. When I finally progress the story it's terrific though.

Any time I read "streamlined" when referring to HD development, I think of FF13. And lots of closed-off corridors.
I'd suggest doing any timed quests you want to finish sooner rather than later. Just sayin'.

mclem

Gvaz said:
In flashbacks, the game displays whatever armor your team was wearing at the time, regardless of you changing it later.

...which is why it's the impressive thing.

In a sense, it's not a *difficult* thing to do, but the care and attention to detail that was shown in realising that it needed doing was incredible.

mclem

chaosblade said:
I know people have mentioned agility and stuff, but even with 50% agility from gems and more from skill links I couldn't hit a level 81 monster with any consistency until it's bar was yellow and not red.

Agility's avoidance, not accuracy. I don't think I've seen a hit chance gem/stat, as such, but ether attacks seem significantly more reliable at hitting than melee ones are. I do wonder if melee attacks are useless at that stage of progression, or if there's some key to upping hit chance that I've missed.

This reminds me. Minor spoilers upcoming (only for the nature of some achievements, no story spoilers):There's two achievements
linked to taking down higher-level enemies. One I've got, that's for taking down an enemy 5 levels higher than the party. How many levels is the second one for, or is it in fact not quite the same principle? (The wording of the 'hint' for the achievement is slightly different, which makes me wonder if there's a tougher requirement - no deaths, perhaps?)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
mclem said:
Agility's avoidance, not accuracy. I don't think I've seen a hit chance gem/stat, as such, but ether attacks seem significantly more reliable at hitting than melee ones are. I do wonder if melee attacks are useless at that stage of progression, or if there's some key to upping hit chance that I've missed.

This reminds me. Minor spoilers upcoming (only for the nature of some achievements, no story spoilers):There's two achievements
linked to taking down higher-level enemies. One I've got, that's for taking down an enemy 5 levels higher than the party. How many levels is the second one for, or is it in fact not quite the same principle? (The wording of the 'hint' for the achievement is slightly different, which makes me wonder if there's a tougher requirement - no deaths, perhaps?)
That's what I thought, I just know people have said it makes a difference in hitting the 100+ enemies. Haven't tried them myself, but from my own experience with lower level enemies it makes no difference. I wonder if the accuracy thing goes away at level 99 (or maybe 95 or something since people have beaten them under 99).

mclem

chaosblade said:
That's what I thought, I just know people have said it makes a difference in hitting the 100+ enemies. Haven't tried them myself, but from my own experience with lower level enemies it makes no difference. I wonder if the accuracy thing goes away at level 99 (or maybe 95 or something since people have beaten them under 99).

It'd be counterintuitive if the stats behaved differently at higher levels, but not impossible. I tried a fight against an enemy eight levels above me at one point recently (I think it was 84, and I was 76? Something like that. Definitely more than a 5 level difference; it was one of the high-level Quadwings quite common in Satorl Marsh at night), and my high-agility avoidance-based tank character got depressed very easily requiring a lot of encouragement, which I *think* meant that the character was missing a lot.

Okay, I'm probably a hundred pages behind on this thread, but well, gotta say the region-free process was remarkably easy, so props to whomever wrote the wikidot guide. Jumped into Xenoblade for the first time last night!

The Hermit

SecretMoblin said:
You know those glowing blue collectibles you've been picking up around the world? Your party members like some of them -- a lot. Just go into the inventory and select one, and there will be an option to "gift" the item between two characters. It's a bit time consuming and not at all fun, but it works.

wtf, I am 55 hours in and never heard of this...
thanks

Gvaz

Banned
mclem said:
I stand corrected then, but it's never *felt* like it made a difference to me.
There's no +hit gems or anything like that because that's what agility does. Go fight a high level enemy (like +10) with no agil gems and/or naked then try again with the highest agility gems you can stick in your armor (up to the +150 cap) and notice you don't miss nearly as much.

Also link agility skills

RDreamer

Finally got this, and took the plunge got my Wii running it. Even realized I had an old external hdd sitting around and converted that so I could use the USB loader. Probably going to rip all my games, since it's pretty nifty.

I've only played a very little bit so far, but it's amazing how much of an impression this game gives compared to a lot of the duds this generation (Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and even Star Ocean).

Also, I'm really enjoying the music. How much of it is Mitsuda and how much is Shimomura?

Gvaz

Banned
RDreamer said:
Finally got this, and took the plunge got my Wii running it. Even realized I had an old external hdd sitting around and converted that so I could use the USB loader. Probably going to rip all my games, since it's pretty nifty.

I've only played a very little bit so far, but it's amazing how much of an impression this game gives compared to a lot of the duds this generation (Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and even Star Ocean).

Also, I'm really enjoying the music. How much of it is Mitsuda and how much is Shimomura?

Dunno how much of it is one or the other, but if you're only a few hours in you ain't seen nothing yet in terms of music and events.

I finished watching game
oh god I had my jaw open in space walk. what was the ghost thingies . Are both shulk and her girlfirend god now? Is the whole game is a game? since alvis is computer program? I might have missed some sections I did not watch too many quests just the story parts
The game is one of the best. Story and environment are so amazing.

I hope for part 2 and future zelda can learn a lot from this specially environments and dungeons. I also hope for game that combines both zelda and xenoblade kind of thing. Classic game and I am glad it was on wii.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:
There's no +hit gems or anything like that because that's what agility does. Go fight a high level enemy (like +10) with no agil gems and/or naked then try again with the highest agility gems you can stick in your armor (up to the +150 cap) and notice you don't miss nearly as much.

Also link agility skills
Agility only has a 50% cap. And like I said, I tried fighting the level 81 unique in Guar Plains while it's name was still red, had agility as high as I could get it with gems+skill links and missed the vast majority of my attacks. Got one level, went back and it was yellow, and I took it down with ease.

RDreamer said:
Very, very little. I think Mitsuda only did the vocal track for the ending. Shimomura did just a few tracks here and there, almost the entire thing was done by ACE+.

Gvaz said:
is it really? I can't check this second but I'm pretty sure it goes up to 150...
Google docs thing says 50, and I'm positive that's what I was getting on my game. Speed armor (at least the lower ones) gives +30 agility each for the arms and legs , but you couldn't take full advantage of it because it capped at 50.

Gvaz

Banned
chaosblade said:
Agility only has a 50% cap. And like I said, I tried fighting the level 81 unique in Guar Plains while it's name was still red, had agility as high as I could get it with gems+skill links and missed the vast majority of my attacks. Got one level, went back and it was yellow, and I took it down with ease.
is it really? I can't check this second but I'm pretty sure it goes up to 150...

mclem

I think the *agility bonus from gems* has a 50% cap. Skills are applied before any gem bonuses, though, and aren't affected by the cap.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Agility caps at 50 points, not 50 percent. This is done because agility is the main stat that makes monsters out of your level range so impossible to hit as it goes up by a set amount each level up so you can magically hit the monsters now. Since it is capped at only 50 points you can't even gem your way out of it.

flyover

Laughing Banana said:
It is quite... perhaps ironic is the word?... in that precisely because of the existence of a console like Wii that a JRPG like Xenoblade can exist. I do not see many companies can handle creating a JRPG with a scale as large as this game with high-definition assets/production values... and even amongst those who can most probably none will ever will.
I think you're probably right. Making it for the Wii is likely the only way this game could've gotten made on a non-portable console, nowadays (even if Monolith weren't owned by Nintendo). Whatever the case, I'm just glad it was made.

flyover said:
I think you're probably right. Making it for the Wii is likely the only way this game could've gotten made on a non-portable console, nowadays (even if Monolith weren't owned by Nintendo). Whatever the case, I'm just glad it was made.

I hope they start making it for wiiu from now because it is gonna long time

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man God said:
Agility caps at 50 points, not 50 percent. This is done because agility is the main stat that makes monsters out of your level range so impossible to hit as it goes up by a set amount each level up so you can magically hit the monsters now. Since it is capped at only 50 points you can't even gem your way out of it.
So that just goes back to the original point: it's a pretty lame way to make high level monsters hard to kill, but I guess they had to do something because some party combinations would make it fairly easy to take out enemies level 85ish enemies at level 75 or so. I don't think I've run into anything in my level range that has been difficult at all since the low-70s, except the third to last boss
only because you couldn't negate it's spike damage and my primary damage dealer kept killing itself. Easy enough to get around that with spike defense, but I ended up beating it on the first try so I didn't even need to make the adjustment.

BlazingDarkness said:
I think we're progressing at exactly the same pace :lol
I went to the final dungeon to collect materials for finishing Colony 6 rebuilding, but I have a shit load of new sidequests to do (many which I can't finish yet because the enemies are too high level) I'm at 128 hours too

heh, I had noticed that our schedules are pretty much the same. Feels weird man :D my main is level 83

and I concur about the 90+ enemies in later sidequests. Grinding Gogols when you're two levels behind or above them is not as viable, although Laughing Banana's advice about farming the ones in Satori Marsh has been useful so far

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I largely ignored gems until level 3 crystals came around because the jump between random 2/3's and perfect 4's is huge.

Skill links are pretty obvious. Melee fighters want more agility, tanks want more defense and agility, casters want more ether and defense, everyone wants ap up skills, and anything to do with chain links will eventually become amazing.

flyover

Anabuhabkuss said:
A few things that are running through my head.

1) I have yet to trade with one named NPC character. I bet there's a ton of good loot that I am missing.
Yeah, I didn't trade with a single person until the very end of the game, when I traded for a single item to help me rebuild
Colony 6
. I just never felt compelled to talk to every single person just to see what they had -- and I didn't want to use any FAQs or spreadsheets this go-round (if any of the spreadsheets even have that info).

When I play through again (as I'm sure I will) and sink hundreds of hours into the game (as I'm also sure I will), I'll probably be trading all the time.

As for gems, my wife was obsessed with making them. Because she works from home, she'd spend an hour every day making gems and re-equipping characters. That was a nice treat to come home to every night.

flyover

Anabuhabkuss said:
Good reminders. Thanks.

Man God's advice is good. But I guess that's how you become known as Man God. I always made a priority of linking anything that increased XP and AP first, and then concerned myself with the right skills for the right person.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I just kind of randomly wondered, does anything special happen if you fail the (level 70ish boss fight before the huuuuuuge late game cutscene, you'll know if you did it)
Save Bionis
quest?

Beyond that, I might have screwed myself out of Sharla's last skilltree. Is that possible? Spoiler references how to get it.
I have En Agentis in Colony 6, so I don't think I can move Zel Agentis. I got the other character instead of Peppino, and I think he's required for the quest if I go through En Agentis.

The Google docs thing says Oleksiy is required for En Agentis though, which contradicts what I saw elsewhere. That would be a good thing if that's accurate, since I could still do the quest. Affinity there isn't quite high enough yet to be sure though.

Re: trading. It's really only useful to get items for quests, instead of killing monsters. Also, the last section of the Collectopedia ("Other") is for items found exclusively through trade. I wouldn't really consider that a spoiler, I just won't say what any are.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
chaosblade said:
So I just kind of randomly wondered, does anything special happen if you fail the (level 70ish boss fight before the huuuuuuge late game cutscene, you'll know if you did it)
Save Bionis
quest?

Beyond that, I might have screwed myself out of Sharla's last skilltree. Is that possible? Spoiler references how to get it.
I have En Agentis in Colony 6, so I don't think I can move Zel Agentis. I got the other character instead of Peppino, and I think he's required for the quest if I go through En Agentis.

The Google docs thing says Oleksiy is required for En Agentis though, which contradicts what I saw elsewhere. That would be a good thing if that's accurate, since I could still do the quest. Affinity there isn't quite high enough yet to be sure though.

Re: trading. It's really only useful to get items for quests, instead of killing monsters. Also, the last section of the Collectopedia ("Other") is for items found exclusively through trade. I wouldn't really consider that a spoiler, I just won't say what any are.

You're fine on the skill tree quest.

chaosblade said:
Very, very little. I think Mitsuda only did the vocal track for the ending. Shimomura did just a few tracks here and there, almost the entire thing was done by ACE+.

Really? I keep thinking a lot of these songs feel like classic Shimomura. Lots of violin and piano.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
PigSpeakers said:
Really? I keep thinking a lot of these songs feel like classic Shimomura. Lots of violin and piano.

Well she did do a couple of the battle themes and most of the colony 9 music, so you do hear it a lot.

Top Bottom