• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Meier

Gvaz said:
Lol you've just gotten started boy.
Haha, you weren't kidding.
Sharla's boobs are ridiculous. I have the Quark armor and theyre just out on display and jiggling around.

Meier said:
Haha, you weren't kidding.
Sharla's boobs are ridiculous. I have the Quark armor and theyre just out on display and jiggling around.
She seems like such a nice and intelligent girl, but
how do Shulk and Reyn manage to pay attention to a word she is saying? Those things are bouncing around in every cutscene.

CrankyKong said:
Anyone got a strategy for the
Telethia boss in the Tomb?
I beat him by simply ignoring his sidekick as someone else suggested. I think I used Shulk, Sharla and Riki for his cool debuffs. Don't forget to get rid of his aura which he/it likes to put up sometimes with Purge.

So I've steared clear of this thread since I had the game lying around and wasn't able to play it until recently. So I just have some quick questions:

I'm at LV 21 with 8 hours of playtime now and just
fought against that mechon that abducted Juju. Am I underlevelled or just incompetent, cause I found that fight in particular to be hard as hell. Died a couple of times until I finally killed it. In General I found the game to be rather brutal, as those pesky pink Flamingos on Bionis Leg killed me with a single peck lol.
I just want to know: Should I spend more time grinding for EXP and upgrading my gear or should I just continue with the story flow of the game doing some side quests on the go?

Dascu

boris feinbrand said:
So I've steared clear of this thread since I had the game lying around and wasn't able to play it until recently. So I just have some quick questions:

I'm at LV 21 with 8 hours of playtime now and just
fought against that mechon that abducted Juju. Am I underlevelled or just incompetent, cause I found that fight in particular to be hard as hell. Died a couple of times until I finally killed it. In General I found the game to be rather brutal, as those pesky pink Flamingos on Bionis Leg killed me with a single peck lol.
I just want to know: Should I spend more time grinding for EXP and upgrading my gear or should I just continue with the story flow of the game doing some side quests on the go?
Always try to have your level be around the same as that of the enemies you face. If you find yourself underlevelled, do quests instead of grinding (well, some of the quests are a little bit grindy anyway).

Luigiv

CrankyKong said:
Anyone got a strategy for the
Telethia boss in the Tomb?
Spam arts until it dies? I was 2 levels above it when I fought it, so I didn't need to use any particular strategy. My party was Dunban (controlled), Shulk and Sharla if that helps.

Dascu said:
Always try to have your level be around the same as that of the enemies you face. If you find yourself underlevelled, do quests instead of grinding (well, some of the quests are a little bit grindy anyway).

But most of the enemies I face are at LV 14 at best. Also those damned Danny de Vito look alike Birds are pretty though as well. Gotta dig into the games mechanics more. I guess that's my main problem. Maybe I'll start with some Gem forging.

daakusedo

I'd like to have this beta map in the game.
With the ground limits everywhere, the vast difference in height, and those kind of ancient houses, there's a wild sense of exploration, that's impressive.

Been playing this for a fair few hours now, and am
just about to chase after Juju on the Bionis Leg
. Really enjoying everything so far, though I think I am having far too much fun running around and attacking things.
I loved the introduction to the
Bionis Leg, it reminded me of the sense of exploration you get on visiting Gran Pulse in Final Fantasy XIII. I decided to play it safe when I first arrived there, went to attack some flammi, and bam. Next thing I knew is they had changed in to some level 70ish flammi/or there were fish near by. Scariest moment ever
Gosh, this game is going to destroy my life. I am hooked.

isn't it amazing that unopened chests seem to remain the entire game long?

I just returned to Makna Forest at night lately and saw the lightning of several chests I didn't open like 60hours ago

I will try to spike the entire leg of Bionis with unopened chests and take a screenshot at nightime. should look pretty awesome

Go_Ly_Dow

BlazingDarkness said:
The best soundtrack from a game this generation
Anyone agree?

I really like the Nier soundtrack but the Xenoblade one is just stunning, not tired of it all these hours later.

Definitely agree with this.

Leeness said:
Hahahahahahahaha holy shit at all the cutscenes I just watched.

Major spoilers, level 69/70ish
Shulk! Egil! We're friends! Oh shit Shulk got shot! Dickson is the biggest dick ever! Shulk was dead all along! Zanza omnomnom his body/soul! Meyneth died! Two super Monados with Zanza! Mechonis is no more! Telethias and telethias and telethias, oh my! Shulk's back with a different Monado! Fiora's dying! Dickson is still a dick! Alvis is doing...something! Shulk apparently knows who Alvis is, but I don't and why won't he tell me! We're gonna be Zanza's house guests! Best guests ever!

haha, I've had the exact same reaction. Shit just got really real there. Also seeing
Zanza manually commanding Bionis
was beyond epic, and reminded me of this

rml12.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMj3e4_XoOA for those who don't get the reference

Mauricio_Magus said:
I just finished the game, took me 50 hours.

It was amazing, easily one of my favorite RPG's ever.

I'm glad you enjoyed it despite absolutely blasting through the story :lol
I think that's the shortest playtime i've seen

Do you plan to replay and do all the exploration and sidequests?

mclem

And, as you can probably figure out from the previous post: Finally finished! Spoilers for the ending:

L82 at the end
- well, 82 in the save, 83 by the time I actually fought the final boss
, around 115 hours.

Still got quite a lot of endgame questing yet to do:

Colony 6
has been fully rebuilt, but still needs to be better-populated

I've not yet properly been back into
Tephra Cave
nor
Alcomoth

Missing one of the
Giant's Treasures
; I have the one from
Exile Fortress
and the one from
the tomb in Makna forest

There's one of the
High entia doors
I know of but haven't yet visited - the one found in
Kromar Coast
. Don't know if there's any more that need addressing. I've dealt with ones
halfway up the sororal statues, in the Hode island off the Ether Plant, in the High Entia Tomb, and at La Luz Church in Valak Mountain

In the case of the one at
La Luz Church
, does that actually give you anything other than
a bunch of blue orbs?

I did love the fact that, in the final area, one of the blue orbs was simply named
"Blue Glow"
. I assume it's some conscious
fourth-wall breaking
there.

While trying to fill out the last of my maps, I found a named area in
Valak Mountain
I'd not visited. And when I got there, there was an
ice flower
, completely out of the blue. I assume that's linked to a quest I've not yet found?

Anyhow, clear of spoilers, now: I need to work out what to play next. Zelda's up in a little over a month, so it needs to be something that fits snugly in the gap between now and Zelda. Or even - if I go all-out on trying to get through things - in the gap between now and Arkham City. Possibly El Shaddai, that's feeling tempting.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone know where i can buy the first skill book for rikis burninate ?

mclem said:
And, as you can probably figure out from the previous post: Finally finished! Spoilers for the ending:

L82 at the end
- well, 82 in the save, 83 by the time I actually fought the final boss
, around 115 hours.

Still got quite a lot of endgame questing yet to do:

Colony 6
has been fully rebuilt, but still needs to be better-populated

I've not yet properly been back into
Tephra Cave
nor
Alcomoth

Missing one of the
Giant's Treasures
; I have the one from
Exile Fortress
and the one from
the tomb in Makna forest

There's one of the
High entia doors
I know of but haven't yet visited - the one found in
Kromar Coast
. Don't know if there's any more that need addressing. I've dealt with ones
halfway up the sororal statues, in the Hode island off the Ether Plant, in the High Entia Tomb, and at La Luz Church in Valak Mountain

In the case of the one at
La Luz Church
, does that actually give you anything other than
a bunch of blue orbs?

I did love the fact that, in the final area, one of the blue orbs was simply named
"Blue Glow"
. I assume it's some conscious
fourth-wall breaking
there.

While trying to fill out the last of my maps, I found a named area in
Valak Mountain
I'd not visited. And when I got there, there was an
ice flower
, completely out of the blue. I assume that's linked to a quest I've not yet found?

Anyhow, clear of spoilers, now: I need to work out what to play next. Zelda's up in a little over a month, so it needs to be something that fits snugly in the gap between now and Zelda. Or even - if I go all-out on trying to get through things - in the gap between now and Arkham City. Possibly El Shaddai, that's feeling tempting.

Yep the
Ice Flower
is used in a quest, I believe in Frontier Village, not 100 percent sure though /fake edit: it's not Frontier Village it's
given to you by 'Miss Sweetness', which can be either BerryJammy or Ma'crish in Colony 6

How did you find the game overall? You like?

Oxx

66 hours, Level 53:

I finally managed to get back to it today with a solid few hours. Managed to reach
Galahad Fortress
before stopping.

I started to run into problems with my
Melia/Dunban/Sharla
party, so I had to bring Shulk back into the fray.

mclem

BlazingDarkness said:
How did you find the game overall? You like?

Yeah. It got a bit wearing at times (the period from
Valak Mountain
up until
Fallen Arm
was a slog), but in general it kept me engaged for the whole thing. I probably ought to take a little time out now before considering the remaining quests, however.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ivysaur12 said:
Why, out of curiosity?

Agility effects your hit rate, and your dodge rate.

If you can't hit, you can't deal damage, your tank can't hold aggro, you can't charge up your talent (unless you happen to be Sharla) and you can't apply non sleep status effects because they will all miss.

If you are getting hit all the time you'll take an inordinate amount of damage.

That stat goes up by a fixed amount everytime you level, and it increases dramatically on higher level monsters. The real reason you can't usually damage monsters that are much higher level is that they have a decent agility advantage based on your level.

Agility is also the only stat you can only gem fifty points into, meaning you can only make up a little bit of that disadvantage. Night Vision, a rare and valubale gem is the only other way to increase hits on physical attacks.

Melia and the other ether characters can get you a bit of wiggle room as Ether attacks are more accurate and she has a skill that greatly increases the accuracy of said ether attacks. However this means that Melia will usually end up tanking these fights as she will be the only one drawing aggro and she is the worst defensive character in the game.

Temrer

Neo Member
Agh, I'm at
Prison Island
and not highlighting everybody else's spoilers is killing me because I know I've got so far to go.

40 hours, L44. I can't stop exploring maps :(((

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Temrer said:
Agh, I'm at
Prison Island
and not highlighting everybody else's spoilers is killing me because I know I've got so far to go.

40 hours, L44. I can't stop exploring maps :(((

We're right about the same position, with me having a few less hours and a couple less levels. I really stopped doing Side Quest after I made it to Eryth Sea, because they were just bogging down my playthrough. I think after I finish this part of the story, I'll begin to go back and spend some hours sidequesting.

LPC

Banned
Finished it after 132h in my first playthrough... Awesome game, awesome music, awesome battle system, awesome story, loved this game from the start to the end!

Approximatively 430 quests completed (and I red that there are about 480). I beated the boss with Lvl 95, I was very over leveled, final battle didn't last more than 1 minute! :D

Now, I'm just ready for Zelda, and The Last Story next year. It will be hard for them to be as good as Xenoblade in my eyes, but Zelda is Zelda, different kind of game.

Sidequesting in Xenoblade can be boring, but guys, you won't ever need to do level up if you do sidequests, never!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
LPC said:
Finished it after 132h in my first playthrough... Awesome game, awesome music, awesome battle system, awesome story, loved this game from the start to the end!

Approximatively 430 quests completed (and I red that there are about 480). I beated the boss with Lvl 95, I was very over leveled, final battle didn't last more than 1 minute! :D

Now, I'm just ready for Zelda, and The Last Story next year. It will be hard for them to be as good as Xenoblade in my eyes, but Zelda is Zelda, different kind of game.

Sidequesting in Xenoblade can be boring, but guys, you won't ever need to do level up if you do sidequests, never!

Doing every single sidequest will in fact make you stupidly overleveled for the final boss.

LPC

Banned
Yes for the end of the game I completely agree with you. But during the game, you are just getting stronger as other monsters. Just think to Sword Valley, ennemy have a different level from Vallak Mountain.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was at least ten levels ahead of everything from Satorl Marsh on just because I did every single quest, this died down to about 3-5 levels in the last four zones.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anasui Kishibe said:
ew man I'd love to help but it's like going back 100 hours. Check all the merchants is all i can say sorry
I tried. Cant seem to find it. Anyone first skill book for burninite for riki?

GC|Simon

Level 39, 35.5 hours, at that Highentia city. They want me to go to the
Highentia tomb
. Am I strong enough for it with level 39?

Wiseblade

GC|Simon said:
Level 39, 35.5 hours, at that Highentia city. They want me to go to the
Highentia tomb
. Am I strong enough for it with level 39?
You should be. I remember most things being ~lvl35 there.

BlazingDarkness said:
I'm glad you enjoyed it despite absolutely blasting through the story :lol
I think that's the shortest playtime i've seen

Do you plan to replay and do all the exploration and sidequests?

Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG I've played this generation... I will eventually come back for more.

also, now I hate NoA so much :(

Leeness

Now that I'm awake and coherent again (those cutscenes kept me up last night!), just some thoughts on story.

Major Spoilers for level 70+ after
the events in Mechonis core

First of all, I love how Xenoblade was kind of skirting around wanting to be like Gears/Saga until just now and now it's all WHAT'S UP BITCHES!? Haha. The second Shulk got shot, it was all like, oh man here we go! The guy who could have been the ending
boss (though I knew Egil wasn't) is just afraid of god (sup Dmitri Yuriev) and now here's god himself! Zanza has his godly super powers and is out to destroy and recreate. How many times has he done this? Yet to be seen! But it's time to stand tall and shake the heavens, do you have the will to power beyond that good and evil and stop the eternal reoccurrence and shape the world in your own way by killing god (I couldn't fit Zarathustra in there but you get what I'm saying)!?

And now I'm loling at Gvaz saying way earlier when I was guessing about the plot that he'd have to kill me. Haha. I was wondering if we'd be killing god and stopping reoccurrences and here we are!

I knew Takahashi couldn't resist haha.

I love this game.

eshock

Hey guys, I'm having a lot of trouble with (lvl 50)
Lightning Ronove at the radio tower in Sword Valley. My party is Shulk(controlled) Dunban and Sharla, all 3 level 51. His two sidekicks go down in less than 30 seconds, but I always seem to die incredibly quickly once I target the main guy. He's got this blade move that does 1500 damage to everyone that seems to just destroy me. I'm open to bringing in Melia but I'll need Shulk for Monado Enchant and I can't see how to last through the battle without Sharla's healing.

Any tips?

eshock said:
Lightning Ronove at the radio tower in Sword Valley. My party is Shulk(controlled) Dunban and Sharla, all 3 level 51. His two sidekicks go down in less than 30 seconds, but I always seem to die incredibly quickly once I target the main guy. He's got this blade move that does 1500 damage to everyone that seems to just destroy me. I'm open to bringing in Melia but I'll need Shulk for Monado Enchant and I can't see how to last through the battle without Sharla's healing.

Any tips?
By this point, you should be able to buy
mechon-damaging weapons from Dickson's shop, alleviating the need for Monado Enchant. Yes, they deal considerably less damage, but if you want to bench Shulk they're pretty much your only option. I think (though I'm not entirely sure) that Lightning Ronove is susceptible to Topple. Combine that with the fact that Melia's ether attacks are extremely powerful, have high accuracy, and damage mechon, and she'd be my go-to gal for that fight. Just spam the Spear/Knee combo to topple it and let your magic and your teammates do the rest.

man, them Gogols surely are a bunch of jokers. The easiest top level enemies to take down. I'm five levels behind them and they go down like dead baboons, which is great for grinding

mclem

eshock said:

Any tips?

That's the first fight - if I remember right - where I really noticed the spike damage. I think I needed to load up with anti-spike gems to take it down, and/or chain Purge. One of the two... possibly both.

God damn,
Gadolt
is so kicking my ass. Every time I level up a bit and come back to him, he has a new surprise in store. First, he murdered me with that undodgeable purple attack, then he just killed me with his physical attacks, and now he's making everyone lock on to his minions and run around like idiots. Party's Shulk (loaded with double attack and agility gems), Riki and Melia (loaded up with Ether gems). The last time he murdered me, I was level 70. I will get you eventually, you swine!

magicalsoundshower said:
God damn,
Gadolt
is so kicking my ass. Every time I level up a bit and come back to him, he has a new surprise in store. First, he murdered me with that undodgeable purple attack, then he just killed me with his physical attacks, and now he's making everyone lock on to his minions and run around like idiots. Party's Shulk (loaded with double attack and agility gems), Riki and Melia (loaded up with Ether gems). The last time he murdered me, I was level 70. I will get you eventually, you swine!

switch Melia with Sharla and make sure her healing abilities are sufficiently advanced

Yeah, I'm officially terrible at this game. Maybe it's really time to switch things up. Funnily enough, when I first encountered him in
Mechonis Field
, I beat him on my first try.

OK, with Sharla I was pretty much unstoppable, even got to chain attack once. Thanks a lot!

ivysaur12

Banned
Just got to Prison Island, You know what's cool?
The game talked about Giants in Satorl Marsh. I never really thought it'd be touched upon again, but here we go! I already have a little backstory going in.

In MonolithSoft We Trust.

EDIT: Shulk, you're a fucking idiot. You're really going to trust
a giant purple grandpa trapped by the High Entia with two Zs in his name? Come on.

ivysaur12

Banned
Okay, now we're getting somewhere with this plot. Even though it's doing that annoying thing where the entire story is going on with a little less exposition than I would like... Cause a lot is going on that I don't understand. But, yeah.

CoolS

ivysaur12 said:
Okay, now we're getting somewhere with this plot. Even though it's doing that annoying thing where the entire story is going on with a little less exposition than I would like... Cause a lot is going on that I don't understand. But, yeah.

God, that part where you are seems so long ago. And it gets so much better as well later :)

ivysaur12 said:
Don't worry; eventually, there gets to be way, wayyyyy too much exposition. Things get dumped on you in rapid succession.

Top Bottom