• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Hiltz

Lvl. 94
227 hours

I've just been completing some heart-to-hearts and various quests in
Colony 6, Frontier Village, Alcamoth, and Satorl Marsh and also found the last High Entei Treasure location.
Oh and killed a handful of unique monsters such as the one standing next to the warp point of Spiral Valley, a turtle monster below one of the hovering reefs, and some other creature (probably bunniv or something) in Tephra Cave. I got my ass kicked by a lvl. 96 unique flying monster in the island at Great Makna Falls but I was at lvl. 93 then as the last part of the quest for the Nopon sage.

Still need to get Melia's last art manuel for her lightning elemental which already does pretty crazy damage with 100% electric up gems and increased topple damage.

wsippel

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
EDIT: Shulk, you're a fucking idiot. You're really going to trust
a giant purple grandpa trapped by the High Entia with two Zs in his name? Come on.
Believe it or not, even that will make perfect sense much, much later in the game. That's really the best thing about the story in this game: Everything actually falls into place at some point.

wsippel

Banned
ElTopo said:
Well...I thought the story had quite a few plot holes, but I never really minded them because the game just kept throwing awesome stuff at me.
There are some holes (but it seems at least a few of those are filled by sidequests or random dialogue/ heart-to-hearts/ environmental storytelling), but I certainly didn't notice any asspulls or stupid stuff going on for no reason. And that is something in itself. Shulk instinctively trusting Zanza for example makes perfect sense, considering *ENDGAME SPOILERS*
he is Zanza. Why wouldn't he trust himself?

beje

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Is there a point to Riki besides being a Nopon in the party?

Also, Melia and Shulk need to do it.

Once you learn how to use it (or the correct ability combination) it deals ridiculous ammounts of damage + status effects + party buffs + a pretty decent heal move.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anabuhabkuss said:
Ugh. Any tips for defeating the
dragon thingy with the two farts floating around when you're looking for the magma rock to defrost the ice blockade at whatever mountain?
Those floating element enemies don't have high ether defense, so it's a good time to main Melia and knock those out first. They should go down pretty quick and save you a lot of headache. Try to take that unique one out first, before you fight the main enemy. That might help if you can draw it away.

Tank+Sharla for the other two characters, that's almost always the solution for these types of battles. At least for the first 2/3 of the game or so. And as always double check your gems, skill links and armor to make sure you're prepped against whatever you're having the most trouble with.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anabuhabkuss said:
I'm lvl 45. I need to learn Melia and Riki's advantages in battle. I get Melia is a debuff/buff character but I need to learn how to properly use her.

Yeah, I need to mess with my inventory and gem crafting. i have no space in my inventory so that tells me i need to get working on that.

thanks.
Melia isn't a debuff character at all, actually. She's more a DPS, but with the added benefit of being able to throw up buffs for the whole party. Her summons do great damage (especially thunder, since you can increase the damage output with a skill and lightning damage up gems, and the cooldown is really short). Plus fire/wind/ice are AoE and fire/ice/earth deal long term damage with poison and whatnot.

And the spear break+starlight kick combo is the fastest and easiest way to topple enemies in the game. Her only real downside is that you have to control her yourself for her to be of any use at all. The AI has a bad habit of summoning some elementals and then just standing around instead of spamming them for damage.

Can't speak much for Riki, have hardly used him at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Buffs are just the icing on Melia's cake, her real use is insane ether damage for most of the game.

Riki is about dot damage, huge hp, stealing crap.

Anabuhabkuss said:
I'm lvl 45. I need to learn Melia and Riki's advantages in battle. I get Melia is a debuff/buff character but I need to learn how to properly use her.

Yeah, I need to mess with my inventory and gem crafting. i have no space in my inventory so that tells me i need to get working on that.

thanks.
Melia's much more than a buff character -- at that point in the game her attacks are extremely strong, she has can topple almost all non-flying enemies in the game by herself, and she can improve the accuracy and evasion (through agility), strength, ether, or defense of the entire team. She's really superb.

OOOOOOOK I changed my mind about Melia. I'm using her with Shulk and Dunban and they're tearing things apart...

Question though. I'm using her right by using her Summon Bolt or whatever, getting that buff, and immediately releasing the summon for damage then copying it again for more damage right? There isn't some sort of super efficient way to use here right? I'm using her Topple combo too, but when should I topple enemies? At the beginning of the fight, after Bolt?

Also, I'm not using her Wind or Fire/Flare move...is that OK? Should I replace Reflection for one of them?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bel Marduk said:
OOOOOOOK I changed my mind about Melia. I'm using her with Shulk and Dunban and they're tearing things apart...

Question though. I'm using her right by using her Summon Bolt or whatever, getting that buff, and immediately releasing the summon for damage then copying it again for more damage right? There isn't some sort of super efficient way to use here right? I'm using her Topple combo too, but when should I topple enemies? At the beginning of the fight, after Bolt?

Also, I'm not using her Wind or Fire/Flare move...is that OK? Should I replace Reflection for one of them?

Summon Wind/Flame, Summon Bolt, Summon Copy, Spear Break, Starlight Kick, Discharge Bolt, Summon Bolt, Discharge Bolt, Summon Copy, Discharge Bolt, Discharge Wind/Flame, Summon Wind/Flame, Spear Break, Starlight Kick, Summon Bolt.........

Anyone think (huge spoiler)
Zanza-ified Shulk kind of looks like the main character of FFCC: The Crystal bearers? Plus, good to know that I get to kill God at the end after all!
!

Man God said:
Summon Wind/Flame, Summon Bolt, Summon Copy, Spear Break, Starlight Kick, Discharge Bolt, Summon Bolt, Discharge Bolt, Summon Copy, Discharge Bolt, Discharge Wind/Flame, Summon Wind/Flame, Spear Break, Starlight Kick, Summon Bolt.........
I've grown to like Summon Earth quite a bit, it's nice to have both Melia's Poison ability together with Riki's as well as Burninate and Freezinate nibbling away at every enemy's health. But maybe this strategy sucks and is the reason for my doing so poorly during the part I mentioned earlier!

Man God said:

Would you recommend Flame or Wind more? Or should I ditch Healing Gift and use both? Or ditch Aqua?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wind for higher level fights, Flame for regular fights.

Earth is fantastic in a lot of circumstances actually, but it really doesn't shine until you can get poison up and max out ether and arte level as its cooldown is ridiculously long. Wind/Flame are more spammable.

Aqua depends on your party. If you're running no other healing then you're gonna need aqua/healing gift, but usually with riki Shulk you can get away with their patch healing.

My normal toolkit for melia is, from left to right:

Summon Flame, Summon Wind, Summon Copy, Summon Bolt, Spear Break, Starlight Kick, and then the two purple skills.

You can replace the Summon Flame/Wind that you aren't using for Reflect (very situational) or the aura that expands your summon's area of effect.

Meier

Looking for some input/recommendation. I am lvl 28 and in the Swamp.. should I replace Reyn with
Dunban?
I feel like I need a tank very clearly and the possible replacement has much better in the way of aggro control but his HP seemingly won't come close so I'm on the fence. The replacement would do more damage so maybe fights wouldn't last as long I suppose..

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Reyn has better aggro control actually, the other guy just has high damage and one really decent temporarily single target aggro draw while Reyn has a low cooldown taunt and tons of multi hit, high aggro moves.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man God said:
Reyn has better aggro control actually, the other guy just has high damage and one really decent temporarily single target aggro draw while Reyn has a low cooldown taunt and tons of multi hit, high aggro moves.

Do you forget Peerless?

In any event, I prefer his high agility + much, much higher damage output compared to Reyn. His available auras are well suited for different kinds of situation too, in particular Serene Heart where he enjoys a massive 50 to 75% boost to hit and evade (incredible boon against late game uniques where massive hp like Reyn doesn't really help since they attack so fast and so hard anyways)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Laughing Banana said:
Do you forget Peerless?

In any event, I prefer his high agility + much, much higher damage output compared to Reyn. His available auras are well suited for different kinds of situation too, in particular Serene Heart where he enjoys a massive 50 to 75% boost to hit and evade (incredible boon against late game uniques where massive hp like Reyn doesn't really help since they attack so fast and so hard anyways)

I did, even though its the only aura I used constantly.

Reyn is still way better at tanking multiple enemies at once, which almost never comes up in a useful fashion unless you are severely underleveled!

More HP always helps though, so does more defense. The fact that the other guy is also top three melee damage while tanking just fine though is the real reason he's better overall at the end, though if you do it right nobody actually needs to tank!

ivysaur12

Banned
So I'm at the Eyrth Sea and
I just defeated the Horde leader, fixed the Ether windmill, and stopped the other guys. Yet when I go to the lighthouse, Sirlean says that the guy I got isn't the right guy and won't give me the quest even though there's a gray ! over her head. What gives?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Witchfinder General said:
Question!

I just got the 7th character at level

Which moves should be equipped and leveled at this point?

Cheers.

Double Blade, Spear Blade, Lock On, Air Fang, Healing Energy, Double Wind, and especially Final Cross (this one is unlocked through story progression so you might want to save your AP). I recommend you spend your AP on these first. In general I feel her other arts are not worth wasting points in.

Speed Shift is ok and seems very lucrative but its effects can be easily replaced with Haste and Double Attack gems later on (without the -25% defense), so I advise against it.

ivysaur12 said:
I just defeated the Horde leader, fixed the Ether windmill, and stopped the other guys. Yet when I go to the lighthouse, Sirlean says that the guy I got isn't the right guy and won't give me the quest even though there's a gray ! over her head. What gives?

The end of that quest is not at the lighthouse but at the ether plant, if I am not mistaken so I am not sure about you're going to the lighthouse....? He's hiding beneath the ether plant.

Edit: I am thinking you are thinking about the
additional skill tree
quest for Melia. In that case, change the lead to Melia and the girl at the lighthouse should give you the quest.

LaB_NL

Just got the game and I've been into Dark Souls all week, so I just wanted to try it for a couple of minutes last friday night....
...BAM! I'm level 25 and Dark Souls is on hold!

What a beautiful, rich and deep game this is!
Oh and I finally understand the topic title. :)

Riki is seriously the strongest character in game. More than once I've had him facing a overleveled Unique by himself while me and Sharla struggling to kill the adds.

Riki's sidekicks! indeed

a sidenote: for those who want to level from 87-88s to 92-95 easily, Tephra Cave is the best place. You can easily defeat enemies 4-5 levels above you there

on another completely unrelated sidenote: I've watched Thor yesterday and man, that movie is GREAT

Guys,
in Shulk, Melia Dunban team... how do you manage healing? I tried this trio but get owned (am lvl 30 something) so I got back to Shulk, Rayne and Sharla but I see that everyone thinks they are inferior to the other trio.
So how do you do it?

Melhisedek said:
Guys,
in Shulk, Melia Dunban team... how do you manage healing? I tried this trio but get owned (am lvl 30 something) so I got back to Shulk, Rayne and Sharla but I see that everyone thinks they are inferior to the other trio.
So how do you do it?

I played the whole game while always being underleved(my fault for never doing quests) with Shulk/Dunban/Sharla

I only had problems with two bosses in the WHOLE game, and all I did was put Melia in those battles.

Wiseblade

Melhisedek said:
Guys,
So how do you do it?
Summon Aqua and Healing Gift turn Melia into a passable healer on point, but she definitely benefits from support like Shulk's Light Heal or Riki's You Can do It. Melia/Shulk/Dunban shouldn't really have much trouble with healing, especially since the latter two should be dodging most attacks anyway.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Laughing Banana said:
Double Blade, Spear Blade, Lock On, Air Fang, Healing Energy, Double Wind, and especially Final Cross (this one is unlocked through story progression so you might want to save your AP). I recommend you spend your AP on these first. In general I feel her other arts are not worth wasting points in.

Speed Shift is ok and seems very lucrative but its effects can be easily replaced with Haste and Double Attack gems later on (without the -25% defense), so I advise against it.
Unless I've been playing wrong, skill links and arts(/auras) stack on top of gems and can go over the gem caps. In that case it's absolutely worth it and speed shift is her best art. The defense penalty is pretty minimal due to high agility, the character is competitive with Dunban as a speed tank.

I'm not sure what the maximum stacking for haste is, but it's damn nice to have haste gems, then haste on battle start, haste from speed shift, and haste from burst affinity (for the whole party!). Plus the increased double attack rate is very nice since all of them will be criticals, and you can link up a skill to make those criticals heal.

CoolS

Guys, where on F
allen
A
rm
can I find Rainbow slug? The spreadsheet says Beach of Digit Five at night, but somehow I can't find it there.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
CoolS said:
Guys, where on F
allen
A
rm
can I find Rainbow slug? The spreadsheet says Beach of Digit Five at night, but somehow I can't find it there.
Needs to be raining I think. Better place is
distant fingertip
. The big monster there is gone in the rain and that opens up two more item spawns. You can save->reset there and try to get them or run up and down that whole area since there are several spawns on the way up, but I don't think they have as high of a chance as the ones on the very top.

I didn't find any where you're looking after 15 minutes or so, but I got all 3 I needed in the other place in about half the time.

Gvaz

Banned
Melhisedek said:
Guys,
So how do you do it?
What's healing? People need to get healed? Scratches and bruises shulk is pretty good at taking care of.

XPE

CoolS said:
Guys, where on F
allen
A
rm

I think I found mine on the path to the highest point on the fallen arm

CoolS

XPE said:
I think I found mine on the path to the highest point on the fallen arm

chaosblade said:
Needs to be raining I think. Better place is
distant fingertip
. The big monster there is gone in the rain and that opens up two more item spawns. You can save->reset there and try to get them or run up and down that whole area since there are several spawns on the way up, but I don't think they have as high of a chance as the ones on the very top.

I didn't find any where you're looking after 15 minutes or so, but I got all 3 I needed in the other place in about half the time.

Thanks guys, now I seem to remember as well that I got the first one up there. Will try that :)

kagete

What's good advice on doing or ignoring sidequests? I've done every single one so far and at the 29 hour mark I'm level 39/40 and after just unlocking the
rebuilding of colony 6 with Juju
I decided to go ahead a little with the story and it seems like every single enemy is 8-10 levels below me. I perhaps mistakenly decided to comeback to colony 9 when I hit level 33 and gank all the level 35-40 monsters hidden there and now I'm over-leveled and over-equipped. Did I just screw myself out of having fun with the story progression? Can I come back to help Juju out much later in the story? Or would the quest rewards only be useful if I help out now?

kagete said:
What's good advice on doing or ignoring sidequests? I've done every single one so far and at the 29 hour mark I'm level 39/40 and after just unlocking the
rebuilding of colony 6 with Juju
I decided to go ahead a little with the story and it seems like every single enemy is 8-10 levels below me. I perhaps mistakenly decided to comeback to colony 9 when I hit level 33 and gank all the level 35-40 monsters hidden there and now I'm over-leveled and over-equipped. Did I just screw myself out of having fun with the story progression? Can I come back to help Juju out much later in the story? Or would the quest rewards only be useful if I help out now?
If you want to make life a little easier for you, finish at least the first level for every category, then talk to the gem man in Colony 9. The rest can be put off indefinitely.

ivysaur12

Banned
ivysaur12 said:

Just wanna quote this again. Also, where is Ruthan in Alcamoth?

CoolS

Anabuhabkuss said:
Ok, going back to Melia for a second...I must be playing this character wrong and am clearly missing something.

So, the only elementals I have at her disposal are the ones to buff stregnth, agility and ether. I'm not seeing any elemental attacks! On top of that, that middle button (talent art to summon elemental?) rarely fills up and is available to use even when she unloads standard attacks.

What am I missing here? (yes, well aware this makes me read like newb atm).

Lvl 45

Last thing, can someone clarify the difference between haste and agility?

After you summoned her elementals, use the middle button to unleash them, works if its gray. When it fills up, it's Melias burst state which does extra damage and opens up a special attack :)

ivysaur12 said:
So I'm at the Eyrth Sea
and I just defeated the Horde leader, fixed the Ether windmill, and stopped the other guys. Yet when I go to the lighthouse, Sirlean says that the guy I got isn't the right guy and won't give me the quest even though there's a gray ! over her head. What gives?
ivysaur12 said:
Just wanna quote this again. Also, where is Ruthan in Alcamoth?

Somebody already answered this for you, but talk to her with Melia as the party leader :)

Wichu

Anabuhabkuss said:
Ok, going back to Melia for a second...I must be playing this character wrong and am clearly missing something.

So, the only elementals I have at her disposal are the ones to buff stregnth, agility and ether. I'm not seeing any elemental attacks! On top of that, that middle button (talent art to summon elemental?) rarely fills up and is available to use even when she unloads standard attacks.

What am I missing here? (yes, well aware this makes me read like newb atm).

Lvl 45

Last thing, can someone clarify the difference between haste and agility?
The Talent Art is the elemental attack. Stack elemental summons (up to 3), and the Talent Art will use the last summoned elemental to attack (usable at any time if you have an elemental summoned). You don't need to wait until the gauge is full - when it does fill up, she enters Elemental Burst (can't remember what it actually does, but there's some skills you can only use during it).

Top Bottom