• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

for the first time in the game I can't defeat a boss.
oh yeah, it's a level 75 boss btw
Disciple Lorithia, I've played the whole game with Shulk/Sheila/Dunban... I'm level 72 and having a lot of problems cause I don't do much damage to her

Zomba13

Mauricio_Magus said:
nope, 44 hours and level 70... pretty sure about it.

I haven't really done sidequests, I'm in
The Bionis Interior, after Shulk comes back to life. I actually feel like I have to grind in there cause the weakest enemy is 72 :(

I assume I'm rushing the game, but you know... I still have enjoyed it a lot.
I'm around there too. I dunno what happened. I was taking it kinda slow at first, doing some sidequests along with the story and then suddenly I just stopped doing them and focused on the story. I guess I got wrapped up in the story and wanted to get to the next bit of story.

I'm going back doing sidequests now and other things. Also really liking 7th with some haste and double attack stuff and max agility gems.

Jenna Louise chick who played Melia was in a british soap, so that's probably why you can find lots of iffy pictures of her
She played a school girl who eventually became a lesbian

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Zomba13 said:
I'm around there too. I dunno what happened. I was taking it kinda slow at first, doing some sidequests along with the story and then suddenly I just stopped doing them and focused on the story. I guess I got wrapped up in the story and wanted to get to the next bit of story.

I'm going back doing sidequests now and other things. Also really liking 7th with some haste and double attack stuff and max agility gems.
7th character is the best one in the game in my opinion. Tanks well while one of the best damage dealers (if not the best) in the game. Some great arts too.

Gvaz said:
I don't understand why you're having any trouble fighting creatures lower than your current level Hiltz, not the first time you mentioned that.
Yeah, I don't have any problems killing anything I don't have an accuracy penalty against. That one is probably tough if you don't have high sleep/debuff resist gems though.

Mauricio_Magus said:
Disciple Lorithia, I've played the whole game with Shulk/Sheila/Dunban... I'm level 72 and having a lot of problems cause I don't do much damage to her
She might have a shield that's hurting your damage, I used Shulk, Fiora (speed tank), Sharla (level 75ish) and didn't have a lot trouble, but it was a long battle. Focused on her, ignored the adds but did try to use AoE attacks when possible to take them out too. Just watch out for their suicide attacks. They respawn pretty quick though.

chaosblade said:
7th character is the best one in the game in my opinion. Tanks well while one of the best damage dealers (if not the best) in the game. Some great arts too.
Yeah I've been maining them ever since I got them, so good!

Another mindblowing thing about the playtime. There have been
more than 4 hours of cutscenes (about 4 hours 20 minutes I think)
up to that point.

Another thing about that level 75 boss.
If the AI thinks playing in the ether is a good idea; Order them towards you. You might like to try bleed (and variants) as a way of doing damage too as the might not be so heavily affected by what seems to be the barriers adding defence.

McNum

Mauricio_Magus said:
(Level 75 boss spoiler)
I beat her at level 72 myself, and I made the exact same error you did so many times. I used Dunban. Dunban is good for a lot of things, but not for this battle. Loritihia uses high accuracy Ether based attacks, and Dunban doesn't handle that well... at all. You want Melia for this. (Or Fiora in an Ether setup, I suppose.) Make sure to use +HP gems or +Ether Defense Gems on Melia, though, she's too fragile at just her level 72 with dropped loot equipped. Also, consider linking her to an "Equip Medium" skill and giving her an armor with good Ether Defense.

Lorithia has little to no Ether defense and Melia can take an Ether attack better than Dunban. Expect her to tank, simply on the virtue of dealing a ton of damage. If you're decent at playing as Melia, you could do that, too, as the Monado is nice to have in this fight, but not essential. I used Monado Armour when she spawned those annoying exploding pets, but you can make it through that if the team has high enough Ether Defense. In fact, a Melia/Fiora/Sharla team might be good. I used Shulk/Melia/Sharla for mine, but Shulk was only really good for Monado Armour.

And if the teammates start running into the Ether, call them back with the "Come to me!" command. Spam it if you have to.

That fight is doable, but it's hard at that level.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
BlazingDarkness said:
Yeah I've been maining them ever since I got them, so good!

Fairly pointless as the AI is great with that character.

Spam auto attacks and then use artes when the come off of cooldown.

Melia and Riki own the hell out of the Bionis Interior boss. I seriously beat that fight in about thirty seconds while at the exact same level as the boss.

McNum said:
(Level 75 boss spoiler)
I beat her at level 72 myself, and I made the exact same error you did so many times. I used Dunban. Dunban is good for a lot of things, but not for this battle. Loritihia uses high accuracy Ether based attacks, and Dunban doesn't handle that well... at all. You want Melia for this. (Or Fiora in an Ether setup, I suppose.) Make sure to use +HP gems or +Ether Defense Gems on Melia, though, she's too fragile at just her level 72 with dropped loot equipped. Also, consider linking her to an "Equip Medium" skill and giving her an armor with good Ether Defense.

Lorithia has little to no Ether defense and Melia can take an Ether attack better than Dunban. Expect her to tank, simply on the virtue of dealing a ton of damage. If you're decent at playing as Melia, you could do that, too, as the Monado is nice to have in this fight, but not essential. I used Monado Armour when she spawned those annoying exploding pets, but you can make it through that if the team has high enough Ether Defense. In fact, a Melia/Fiora/Sharla team might be good. I used Shulk/Melia/Sharla for mine, but Shulk was only really good for Monado Armour.

And if the teammates start running into the Ether, call them back with the "Come to me!" command. Spam it if you have to.

That fight is doable, but it's hard at that level.

Thanks, finally did it by adding
Fiora
to my party for that battle.

Alright, I finally sat down and finished the game, level 99, about 135 hours in total. There were some things I didn't finish up, but at least I unlocked
the 4th and 5th skill trees for every character.
. It's a very good game -- certainly the most "fun" I've had with an RPG in years, and I'm a fan of the genre. It did seem a little odd to see the Nintendo logo after the credits.

I honestly couldn't care any less about the story and the terribly clichéd writing, but it's something I'm used to by this point and the excellent gameplay and world more than made up for it.

Oh, and I'm sure this was mentioned before, but that "extra" area that's unavailable in the game?
It appears very briefly in a closing cutscene.

Kandinsky

This game is so amazing, now that I've played it I feel even more disgusted that people tainted its name with TLS in that OpRainfail shit. Anyone gives a crap about that game anymore? lol.

ivysaur12

Banned
Kandinsky said:
This game is so amazing, now that I've played it I feel even more disgusted that people tainted its name with TLS in that OpRainfail shit. Anyone gives a crap about that game anymore? lol.

I thought TLS was good?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
ivysaur12 said:
I thought TLS was good?

I thought it was quite fun (though the plot was iffy and I wanted to throw a brick at the three main characters.) It's really a case of having to lower your expectations. A lot of people thought it would be the second coming of RPGs. It was not. I can't deny enjoying the hell out of it though.

I just fought
Egil
at
Agniratha
Dickson
is being shady. Though he has been the entire game.

Does it take a long time to get five-star affinity at Colony 6? I have five stars everywhere else, while Colony 6 is still at three.
I think I'm only at level three or four rebuilding it. Does that make a big difference?

Gvaz

Banned
Lissar said:
I thought it was quite fun (though the plot was iffy and I wanted to throw a brick at the three main characters.) It's really a case of having to lower your expectations. A lot of people thought it would be the second coming of RPGs. It was not. I can't deny enjoying the hell out of it though.
Oddly enough, Xenoblade fits that bill quite nicely.

BlazingDarkness said:
Jenna Louise chick who played Melia was in a british soap, so that's probably why you can find lots of iffy pictures of her
She played a school girl who eventually became a lesbian

I've seen a lot of those guys/gals actually...even Dixon/May. Musta been some old TV movie or something

progress report: 134 hours in, level 87. Grinding a bit to finish the last batch of quests before endgame. My list's showing 432 and I've just finished
taking down the Telethia Guards in Alcamoth
., which was a bit of a pain in the arse, expecially the one in the Audience Chamber because of the insane respawn rate. I kept fighting
the damn Telethia adds
, keeping an eye on Sharla while Riki did his awesome job at keeping the boss at bay. I've counted 13 respawned adds, plus the two surrounding the boss and the boss itself. Hectic stuff, so good

Disguises said:
I hope you don't mind, but that idea was so great I created it in higher quality.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLadRkjbXSc (Spoilers up to Eryth Sea)

Totally got lost in Satorl Marsh without a map, lol.
Nice. Definitely much better quality (damn laptop camera) :p

BlazingDarkness said:
The best soundtrack from a game this generation
Anyone agree?
Myself. I really love the soundtracks of games like Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey or Halo 3, but Xenoblade is my favourite right now.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, so Those Who Bear Their Name has got to be one of the most awesome boss fight/unique monster fight pieces ever composed. This shit gets my blood pumping every time I hear it!!

I want to play again! I have games I need to play, but I want to play Xenoblade again!!

Anasui Kishibe said:
I've seen a lot of those guys/gals actually...even Dixon/May. Musta been some old TV movie or something

progress report: 134 hours in, level 87. Grinding a bit to finish the last batch of quests before endgame. My list's showing 432 and I've just finished
taking down the Telethia Guards in Alcamoth
., which was a bit of a pain in the arse, expecially the one in the Audience Chamber because of the insane respawn rate. I kept fighting
the damn Telethia adds
, keeping an eye on Sharla while Riki did his awesome job at keeping the boss at bay. I've counted 13 respawned adds, plus the two surrounding the boss and the boss itself. Hectic stuff, so good

You're a bit ahead of me now :) I'm on 131 hours, level 84, with 407 sidequests completed and about 15 new ones, there's a fair few I've not gone round and activated yet though.
There's just one item I'm missing from the collection as well, one of the 'other' items, I have nothing good enough to trade for it atm

BlazingDarkness said:
You're a bit ahead of me now :) I'm on 131 hours, level 84, with 407 sidequests completed and about 15 new ones, there's a fair few I've not gone round and activated yet though.
There's just one item I'm missing from the collection as well, one of the 'other' items, I have nothing good enough to trade for it atm

:) I tend to play like mad on weekends since I have more free time. I still have to finish the "Other" category and I'm basically grinding, grinding, grinding. I need to be at least 90 to kill a Unique I need for a quest, which opens another quest, which is useful for another quest, lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
BlazingDarkness said:

Is it the Veritas Glyph trade item?

Luigiv

BlackBeetleKing said:
First things first, why the spoiler tags? What exactly is spoilt by non-descriptive hyperlinks (which don't even get hidden by spoiler tags anyway) but not by the untagged plain text above them?

Edit: Oh I see, there are spoilers within the links. In that case you should put the spoiler warning in plain text above the links, not spoiler tag the links themselves. I've edited your post above to demonstrate.

Secondly, I've seen this before when that Youtube video was first uploaded but, now that I've actually played the game, I've noticed that this map has treasure chests just lying around on the field. I guess hidden chests were originally planned but then removed. Good choice if you ask me, I somehow feel that chests would have ruined the games exploration for me (my OCD would make me double check ever corner, which would seriously burn me out).

ivysaur12 said:
Wasn't this area in one of the prerelease screen shots?
Why yes it was.

ivysaur12

Banned
I feel the same way about many of these cutscenes as I did with Baten Kaitos - I wish they used much more dynamic. There are some really amazing cutscenes so far in Xenoblade, but too much of it is standing and talking with awkward canned animations.

ivysaur12 said:
I feel the same way about many of these cutscenes as I did with Baten Kaitos - I wish they used much more dynamic. There are some really amazing cutscenes so far in Xenoblade, but too much of it is standing and talking with awkward canned animations.

lol I actually really like these type of scenes. My 3 top favorite games - Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos Origins, and Persona 4 all have these type of scenes...

Also, just made it to
Fallen Arm
. But wow were the enemies in
Sword Valley
kinda tough...or at least the unique enemies were besides that fortress Mechon. Had a lot of trouble. I'll come back soon and beat them up though :)

ivysaur12

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
lol I actually really like these type of scenes. My 3 top favorite games - Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos Origins, and Persona 4 all have these type of scenes...

Also, just made it to
Fallen Arm
. But wow were the enemies in
Sword Valley
kinda tough...or at least the unique enemies were besides that fortress Mechon. Had a lot of trouble. I'll come back soon and beat them up though :)

That's a solid top 3.

Question: All of the quests in
Alcamoth
are timed. What is the "point of no return" for those timed quests?

ivysaur12 said:
That's a solid top 3.

Question: All of the quests in
Alcamoth
are timed. What is the "point of no return" for those timed quests?

Thanks.

Also there's a lockout/point of no return guide on GameFAQs. Spoils some area names but it'll tell you when certain area quests are locked out including Alcamoth.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/faqs/62899

About Alcamoth specifically, it says "After you go to and unfold the events in
Mechonis Core."

Okay, finally ready to start this tomorrow. Got it about two weeks ago, and have my Wii all set up to go... I just needed to finish my FF6 re-playthrough (which Goddamn, still holds up. I might do a nostalgia thread tomorrow.)

I'm looking forward to it!

Hiltz

UltimateIke said:
I just fought
Egil
at
Agniratha
Dickson
is being shady. Though he has been the entire game.

Does it take a long time to get five-star affinity at Colony 6? I have five stars everywhere else, while Colony 6 is still at three.
I think I'm only at level three or four rebuilding it. Does that make a big difference?

It's gonna take a while since there's plenty of new quests you'll have to do and several of them involve doing multiple objectives.

Here's a brief guide of npcs to invite if you happen to be missing any up to this point:

For level 3 buildings, you can invite
Perrine or Mefimefi from Colony 9, BerryJammy and Noranora from Frontier Village, and Yura from Alcamoth.

For level 4 buildings, you can invite
Rosemary, Peppino, and Oleksiy from Colony 9, Jer'ell and Don Argentis from Alcamoth.

Orgun

Wow, this game just keeps getting deeper. Just unlocked skill links, did not expect a Wii game to be this deep! Just a shame its on the Wii :p Bloody great game though so far, it's the first JRPG i've been able to stand in a few years.

Luigiv

Orgun said:
Wow, this game just keeps getting deeper. Just unlocked skill links, did not expect a Wii game to be this deep! Just a shame its on the Wii :p Bloody great game though so far, it's the first JRPG i've been able to stand in a few years.
You'd have preferred it be on DS?

Leeness

Hahahahahahahaha holy shit at all the cutscenes I just watched.

Major spoilers, level 69/70ish
Shulk! Egil! We're friends! Oh shit Shulk got shot! Dickson is the biggest dick ever! Shulk was dead all along! Zanza omnomnom his body/soul! Meyneth died! Two super Monados with Zanza! Mechonis is no more! Telethias and telethias and telethias, oh my! Shulk's back with a different Monado! Fiora's dying! Dickson is still a dick! Alvis is doing...something! Shulk apparently knows who Alvis is, but I don't and why won't he tell me! We're gonna be Zanza's house guests! Best guests ever!

v4vwqq.jpg

Hiltz said:
It's gonna take a while since there's plenty of new quests you'll have to do and several of them involve doing multiple objectives.

Here's a brief guide of npcs to invite if you happen to be missing any up to this point:

For level 3 buildings, you can invite
Perrine or Mefimefi from Colony 9, BerryJammy and Noranora from Frontier Village, and Yura from Alcamoth.

For level 4 buildings, you can invite
Rosemary, Peppino, and Oleksiy from Colony 9, Jer'ell and Don Argentis from Alcamoth.
Okay, cool. Thank you!

Leeness said:
Hahahahahahahaha holy shit at all the cutscenes I just watched.

Major spoilers, level 69/70ish
Shulk! Egil! We're friends! Oh shit Shulk got shot! Dickson is the biggest dick ever! Shulk was dead all along! Zanza omnomnom his body/soul! Meyneth died! Two super Monados with Zanza! Mechonis is no more! Telethias and telethias and telethias, oh my! Shulk's back with a different Monado! Fiora's dying! Dickson is still a dick! Alvis is doing...something! Shulk apparently knows who Alvis is, but I don't and why won't he tell me! We're gonna be Zanza's house guests! Best guests ever!
I'm seriously at the exact same spot you are.
All of those poor High Entia. :,(

Really hating so many places getting blocked off though. But I guess that's what happens when
THE MONADO VAPORIZES THE ENTIRE MECHONIS.

Leeness

UltimateIke said:
Really hating so many places getting blocked off though. But I guess that's what happens when
THE MONADO VAPORIZES THE ENTIRE MECHONIS.

I felt really bad for it and for Egil in the end :'( It was kind of sad watching the Mechonis go down. It used to be all ~scary~ and stuff but watching its hands get chopped off and its head get chopped off and then getting vaporized... :( Poor little, giant thing.

OH MAN. lmao, I just realized I
wanted to go back and do more quests in Alcamoth... UH.

RurouniZel said:
Okay, so Those Who Bear Their Name has got to be one of the most awesome boss fight/unique monster fight pieces ever composed. This shit gets my blood pumping every time I hear it!!

I want to play again! I have games I need to play, but I want to play Xenoblade again!!
Couldn't agree more, nothing like fighting some "standard" monsters and hearing this tune out of the blue because some unique monster decided to join leading to soiled pants. It also got me really pumped when it kicked in during a certain cutscene mid-game.

OK, now I've got a couple questions: During the
Mechon Factory part with those dang snipers
, Shulk, who was like level 65 at the time (accompanied by Melia and the 7th character) seemed to bite the dust a bit too quickly. I'm guessing this is because I don't have any Agi up gems for him and am currently banking on Duble Attack and Strenght Up. Does anyone know the best way to get hold of some Rank 4 Agi Up Gems in areas I've already been to? Plus, where can I find more Art Books for character 7? I've only found like 2 in a shop in a certain village. Thanks in advance!

There are a lot of parallels between Final Fantasy XIII and Xenoblade.

Cocoon/Pulse = Bionis/Mechonis (happy home ruled by an evil god vs. an unknown world assumed to be evil but isn't really), the whole "defying fate" line, supposed gods using people for their own ends...

It's interesting how much better Xenoblade does it though.

Leeness said:
OH MAN. lmao, I just realized I
wanted to go back and do more quests in Alcamoth... UH.
So sad seeing all of the darkened circles of people I helped on the affinity screen. :(

Leeness

magicalsoundshower said:
Does anyone know the best way to get hold of some Rank 4 Agi Up Gems in areas I've already been to?

Gem craft! That's where all my Agi Up gems come from, haha. :)

Edit: oops, meant to make this post one with my other one. Sorry. Too late for me. I'll go to bed now, haha.

I have a shitload of Rank 4 crystals right now, but none will let me make any Agi Up gems. Maybe I'm just unlucky. And off the top of my head I don't know the whereabouts of any Wind Crystal dispenser thingies right now, is there a guide somewhere? :/

Top Bottom