• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't even well prepared going into that battle and I beat it relatively easily, the worst part about it was the annoyingly low framerate. Seems crazy that so many people seem to have trouble with it.

I found the (final dungeon spoilers)
dragon at the end of Prison Island
to be significantly tougher than any other boss in the game since I didn't have any spike defense for the battle, and Shulk's purge did nothing to stop the spikes. Combine that with the fact it did pretty decent damage on top of that and the fight was a mess.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This game is so good that even though I notice the framerate issues a lot (I probably mained Melia for 75 hours or so) I didn't even care and I'm normally a framerate fanatic.

Anyone know of any web page that has collected all the battle quotes? I'd love to see them all and find out if I missed any.

Ultratech

Just got my 3rd party member and fought a boss...only to fight another stupid Faced Mechon.

And HOLY CRAP is Gaur Plains huge...I see what all the talk about it was now. It's crazy.

Gvaz

Banned
Ultratech said:
Just got my 3rd party member and fought a boss...only to fight another stupid Faced Mechon.

And HOLY CRAP is Gaur Plains huge...I see what all the talk about it was now. It's crazy.
Don't diss Xord. Xord has the best voice actor in the entire game.

Jintor

This game really makes me want to break out the pen and paper and start keeping physical track of all these item requests and shit...

Leeness

Gvaz said:
Don't diss Xord. Xord has the best voice actor in the entire game.

Haha I actually (end spoilers)
clapped my hands in joy when he came back to help Juju around the end. Fuck yeah Xord.

Jintor

Laughing Banana said:
What? I don't recall this.

Dunno, might just be mandatory quest dialogue, not sure though.
Satori swamp, I dawdled rescuing the researcher from the ignar in Exile Fortress. I had done it before immediately and I swear I got different dialogue but Dolphin crashed and wiped my save and I must have forgotten to go back to it.

I hope trading doesn't affect much---I'm not doing it at all. What are some people's best suggestions for gems for Shulk, Reyn and Sharla? Reyn, I'm guessing, you just pump full of Muscle Up.

Oxx

The game is pretty good about keeping you on track and letting you know where the story should be taking you, but I'm not sure if it recaps anything.

I should really try and get back to it as well. How many weeks until Skyward Sword?

Leeness said:
Haha I actually (end spoilers)
clapped my hands in joy when he came back to help Juju around the end. Fuck yeah Xord.
Holy shit,
was that really him? I just surmised it was a Face who happened to look like him
. And yeah, his voice acting totally rules to the extreme.

About the Quick Travel talk: (late game spoilers)
It indeed makes no sense story-wise that you're able to return to Bionis once you've arrived at Fallen Arm. But then again, maybe the Machina are cool enough to give the party a ride with their neat spaceship every time they feel like going back.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
magicalsoundshower said:
Holy shit,
was that really him? I just surmised it was a Face who happened to look like him
. And yeah, his voice acting totally rules to the extreme.
Pretty sure it's
one of those mass produced faces you see throughout the second half of the game. Xord died in the elevator.

Vincent Alexander said:
I hope trading doesn't affect much---I'm not doing it at all. What are some people's best suggestions for gems for Shulk, Reyn and Sharla? Reyn, I'm guessing, you just pump full of Muscle Up.
Everybody should be using agility up. Early on in the game muscle up and ether def up are useful for anybody who is getting aggro. Generally Reyn, and you can use aggro down or art/auto attack stealth on Shulk.

And trading is just used to get items more easily. There are a few that can only be found through trades though, and if there is an area you can't return to, you might need to trade to get an item that would normally be found there.

Luigiv

Oxx said:
The game is pretty good about keeping you on track and letting you know where the story should be taking you, but I'm not sure if it recaps anything.

I should really try and get back to it as well. How many weeks until Skyward Sword?
Yeah, the game does include a story memo that very briefly explains the last story point and tells you where to go next. Could be more detailed but it should be enough to get you back on track after you put the game down for a bit.

You can access it by opening the menu bar with y and then hitting ZR for those who haven't noticed it.

beril

Just bought the game. I had kind of assumed a lot of the hype was just people being angry at NoA or europeans happy that we're finally on the other end of the localisation screwups. But I've seen a bit too many hyperbole statements about it lately for that to be the only reason and I finally looked up some reviews yesterday. I really had no idea it had been recieved this well. Been kindof longing for a good JRPG to engulf myself in, which hasn't really happened since Persona 4. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Jintor

Goddamnit, a unique monster attacked me on the way to hand in a quest so I had to put it down. Turned in the quest, my next quest was to kill the unique monster I had just stabbed.

I cried.

By the way, I dimly recall commands to get my party to come focus and attack the monster I'm attacking and that kind of thing, anybody have any idea what those are?

iamaustrian said:
god, I just found out that you can register all the collectibles -_-
after 160hours.......

Lucky I'm only 30 hours in, but I just looked at the Collectorpedia after reading this. Thanks! I wondered when it was gonna give me anything for my collectables!

I could have done with these gems a few hours ago. So many layers to this game you could totally miss!

manzo

Baiano19 said:
I can't believe the music on this game keeps getting even better... I just arrived at Mechonis Field. Jebus!!

It's a goddamn shame that Shimomura did only the Colony 9 field and town songs. They're still the best songs I've heard in the game and I'm currently at the
marsh
. Only the night song where I'm currently at has been even remotely close to the Shimomura compositions in catchyness. ACE+ ain't got shit against Shimomura.

Also: the quickest 24 hours I've spent on a videogame, ever. This game is dynamite.

Jintor said:
Goddamnit, a unique monster attacked me on the way to hand in a quest so I had to put it down. Turned in the quest, my next quest was to kill the unique monster I had just stabbed.

I cried.

By the way, I dimly recall commands to get my party to come focus and attack the monster I'm attacking and that kind of thing, anybody have any idea what those are?
Save/reload until unique monster re-appears...or just come back after an area and hope its reappeared anyway then kill it in 10 seconds.

On CC Pro controls its one of the shoulder buttons and the D-pad inputs will show up on screen. Its things like focus on one target, do what and stand next to me (only to do nothing).

A few questions

1.) What is the yellow bar on the battle screen? (not the exp meter). It's a thin yellow line above it.

2.) How does the Monado recharge? Is it through non arts attacks? It seems random to me. Sometimes it'll fill up quickly other times it takes forever.

3.) How does the game expect you to know where to find items for a quest? For example I'm trying the colony building quest and I have no idea where to find some of the items the boy doesn't tell you the location of (even though some of them are already in my inventory just not in sufficient quantities).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
lucablight said:
A few questions

1.) What is the yellow bar on the battle screen? (not the exp meter). It's a thin yellow line above it.

2.) How does the Monado recharge? Is it through non arts attacks? It seems random to me. Sometimes it'll fill up quickly other times it takes forever.

3.) How does the game expect you to know where to find items for a quest? For example I'm trying the colony building quest and I have no idea where to find some of the items the boy doesn't tell you the location of (even though some of them are already in my inventory just not in sufficient quantities).
1. I had to find a picture, I don't even remember paying attention to that bar while I was playing. Might be related to aggro.

2. Auto-attacks, yes.

3. You can ask him for hints and he will tell you where one or two items are. You should be able to talk to NPCs around the town for the rest. You'll usually come across the items as you play anyway, but there are a few that are harder to get.

That's not really a quest though. Most of the time with actual quests you'll have some information about how to collect it from the quest info, or you can talk to the person again. There are a handful that leave you on your own, but I think those are toward the end of the game.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Are there still stores selling this game and shipping to the US? I'm finally getting around to opening up a free spot for a RPG.

Baiano19 said:
I can't believe the music on this game keeps getting even better... I just arrived at Mechonis Field. Jebus!!
Interestingly enough, the Mechonis Field theme reminded me of something Alex Brandon who made the music for the original Deus Ex and a couple of old Epic games would come up with.

About the collectibles thing: I knew it was possible to register them but never got around to it because there was so much else to do in the game, how 'bout that?

XPE

Arkaerial said:
Are there still stores selling this game and shipping to the US? I'm finally getting around to opening up a free spot for a RPG.

You shouldn’t have any problems finding stock now.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:
Hope you have 50-100 hours
I burned 183 hours in Oblivion because there was so much to do just wandering around finding everything. I do the same with the Fallout series, and I want a really good JRPG that I can enjoy and from the glimpses of this thread, I'm sure I will.

edit:
Well time to start finding the game to import.

Brigandier

manzo said:
It's a goddamn shame that Shimomura did only the Colony 9 field and town songs. They're still the best songs I've heard in the game and I'm currently at the
marsh
. Only the night song where I'm currently at has been even remotely close to the Shimomura compositions in catchyness. ACE+ ain't got shit against Shimomura.

Also: the quickest 24 hours I've spent on a videogame, ever. This game is dynamite.

There is so many good tracks from ACE+ and Manami Kiyota to come yet believe me.

thomaser

CrankyKong said:
What does registering collectables mean?

One of the menus is a "collectopedia", a sort of encyclopedia of all the collectibles (blue lights) you can find in the various areas. Every area has its own page, and if you fill them up by finding all the various things, you'll get various rewards like armour or gems.

McNum

chaosblade said:
1. I had to find a picture, I don't even remember paying attention to that bar while I was playing. Might be related to aggro.
The thin yellow line is your Skill Point bar. Fill it up and you get a new skill.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
McNum said:
The thin yellow line is your Skill Point bar. Fill it up and you get a new skill.
140 hours and I didn't know that. Not that's important at all, since it pops up and says you get a new skill when it unlocks.

McNum

chaosblade said:
140 hours and I didn't know that. Not that's important at all, since it pops up and says you get a new skill when it unlocks.
Unless the character is offscreen when they level, then you don't see the popup. But yeah, it's not that important a bar. Just glance at it occasionally and see if it's time to go change tracks in the skill trees.

McNum said:
Unless the character is offscreen when they level, then you don't see the popup. But yeah, it's not that important a bar. Just glance at it occasionally and see if it's time to go change tracks in the skill trees.

Once you unlock a skill is it automatically equipped or do you have to do it manually? I tried to figure this out my own but couldn't.

McNum

TheBaldEmperor said:
Once you unlock a skill is it automatically equipped or do you have to do it manually? I tried to figure this out my own but couldn't.
All the personal skills of each character are equipped automatically. If you want to equip another character's skills, you have to do that manually with Affinity Coins.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Brigandier said:
Have you been setting your skill links and paths?.
Of course. Otherwise it would have made it a lot harder to beat all those optional bosses!

McNum said:
You sure? I'm pretty sure I at least heard the skill learnt jingle when I was grinding for SP to get one of Dunban's skills to link to the 7th character.

TheBaldEmperor said:
Skills are always "equipped" from the moment they are unlocked, so yes. Unless you mean arts, which are automatically put on your palette until it's full. After the first 8 arts you have to swap them around.

Leeness

chaosblade said:
Pretty sure it's
one of those mass produced faces you see throughout the second half of the game. Xord died in the elevator.

I was pretty certain
it was Xord or like... Another one of him. It was the same colour he turned when he fell into the ether, had a hammer, and had the same voice actor (he had some labored breathing and made some crazy sounds haha).

I dunno maybe I'm wrong but that's what I thought when I saw it and I was a happy person haha.

aett

I think I found a quest that I can't complete (endgame).
A mechonis in Colony 6 wants two energy aubergines, which can only be found in Mechonis Field or from trading sacred panthers (only found in Central Factory) to Bozatrox. The only aubergine I had I used in my collectopedia long ago, and I only had one sacred panther to trade, so there's no way for me to get any more.

Not a big deal, but it's gonna bug me having that one unfinished quest!

I've kept this game out of my mind ever since the possibility of a US release was shot down, but I've decided I'm going to go through the process of putting CFW on the Wii so I can play it come December. I could not be more excited.

Top Bottom