• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

The Hermit

CrankyKong said:
Is it even possible to play without Sharla in your battle party?
I get destroyed when she isnt there to heal my two main damage dealers.

Yes, especially if you have Riki in the party
Actually Riki was one of my biggest surprise, at first I didn't had any intention in having him in my party, but after learning his skills, he is a life saver. I love the little furball!

Every character is viable, even Reyn (I barely touched him after Dunban was playable) after you learn how to play with all the aggro on him. My current team is Reyn, Riki and 7th (basically to build affinity, but its working quite well)

chaosblade said:
How far are you? I found it hard early on, but during the post-game stuff I ditched her and didn't even need her for the optional superbosses.

The big thing is agility, you want that as high as possible since it affects your dodging. That's why Dunban is considered a better tank in a lot of situations, he doesn't need much healing at all since he dodges so well.

I'm level 61 and am
on my way to the city to fight Egil

Baiano19 said:
Yes, especially if you have Riki in the party
Actually Riki was one of my biggest surprise, at first I didn't had any intention in having him in my party, but after learning his skills, he is a life saver. I love the little furball!

Every character is viable, even Reyn (I barely touched him after Dunban was playable) after you learn how to play with all the aggro on him. My current team is Reyn, Riki and 7th (basically to build affinity, but its working quite well)

See I dont even know what aggro is.
I just the level dudes up and hope that they kill enemies better.

chaosblade said:
Spots are bad, and yes it means your GPU might be going bad. You could get it repaired by Nintendo, some people said they have before even with Homebrew stuff all over their Wiis. But you could remove the obvious traces (HBC, recent play logs that reference it) and they probably wouldn't find it unless they randomly did a thorough check.

Otherwise yeah, you'll probably need a new Wii soon.

Thanks for the feedback. I have an totally unmodded wii so thats not a problem for me. I will try to find out much they would want for a repair here in Sweden. It may be too costly to be worth it. (If I am feeling evil I could switch it out with my mothers wii unit. She hardly ever uses hers nowadays ;) )

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You shouldn't need a lot of healing with good gem set-ups and skill links. Shulk+Dunban+7th (numbered speed armor except helmet, use something else for that), with 7th usually holding aggro due to rapid attacks, worked well for me and I never needed healing. Plus that character has a self-healing art anyway, worth it to use and level that up.

There are other setups that work too, mine was mostly based on rapid damage (= enemies don't last long enough to do much damage) plus high avoidance.

Edit: The person "with" aggro is the person the enemies are attacking.

JJD

Jintor said:
You spoiled it for me JJD, but I'd pretty much guessed it anyway. :T

I'm not having luck not accidentally spoilering bits and pieces of this game for myself, but then again I suppose I am already 35 or so hours in and slogging it through...

The Makna forests are really terrible for my framerate though, drops from about 28 to 20 fps according to Dolphin. Any tips on config options?

I don't know what to say...I'm really sorry man... :-(
I will be extra careful on the future...

chaosblade said:
You shouldn't need a lot of healing with good gem set-ups and skill links. Shulk+Dunban+7th (numbered speed armor except helmet, use something else for that), with 7th usually holding aggro due to rapid attacks, worked well for me and I never needed healing. Plus that character has a self-healing art anyway, worth it to use and level that up.

There are other setups that work too, mine was mostly based on rapid damage (= enemies don't last long enough to do much damage) plus high avoidance.

Edit: The person "with" aggro is the person the enemies are attacking.

yeah...I'm gonna have to start paying closer attention to this stuff.

Gvaz

Banned
CrankyKong said:
Yes, once you get Riki and Melia you don't really need a real healer.

Don't mind Jintor, he seems to love reading spoilers, lol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I find Sharla can be terribly undependable anyways. I preferred to keep her in my party until the end for 'assurance', but she's not required by any stretch.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I hardly had a healer at all with my party. 7th has a regen aura, and Shulk has light heal, but that was it. And I never really even used light heal.

Of course, with a proper set up on 7th you should never need healing anyway. All doubles critical + maxed double attack + heal on critical (from Dunban), plus that character will dodge and hold aggro about as well as Dunban. Totally breaks the game. And that's not even getting into how ridiculously fast you can deal damage even with AI control.

And the art book is nice, if it was available in English I'd definitely bite on that.

Go_Ly_Dow

Laughing Banana said:
Well it's a nice attention to detail, don't you think?

One huge negative of JP voices is that the subs are out of sync frequently and occasionally the subs appear when the characters aren't even speaking.

This occurs because the subs aren't a direct translation of the JP audio.

In Valkyria Chronicles you get two sets of English subtitles, one for the English and another for the JP voices to tackle this issue.

Temrer

Neo Member
I just got Riki's 4th Skill tree.

I WANT A GIANT NOPON.

What's the JP dub like? I was thinking of using that for my second playthrough - how does it compare?

aett

Clevinger said:
Fuck Frontier Village. What a bitch to navigate.

That was the only time I ever considered quitting the game. The place is made even worse by the in-game clock, because then you have to run around at morning, noon, and night looking for people. Then you get to do it over, and over, and over again, either because you need to talk to specific people for quest purposes or because you're just looking for new quests that pop up after completing other ones or when you reach a new affinity level.

I recently, at the end of the game, discovered quests there that I had somehow missed before. I can tell that I was supposed to do them ages ago, because the enemies I need to kill are level 30 or 40 or so and I get next to no experience for completing the quests.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Temrer said:
I just got Riki's 4th Skill tree.

I WANT A GIANT NOPON.

What's the JP dub like? I was thinking of using that for my second playthrough - how does it compare?
I thought it was really bland, and some of the voices don't match the characters nearly as well as the English ones. Dickson and Dunban especially. English really is the way to go on this game unless you are the hardcore JP audio type that refuses to ever use English.

It's kind of funny to me, since this game is better in English and doesn't really need the Japanese option, but games that have poor dubs never seem to have the option.

I had absolutely no qualms about using the spreadsheet to look for NPCs once I started the FV quests. I honestly don't think I would have felt more "proud" if I had spent 3+ more hours running around that place without the guide.
I feel the same way, but then again I found the bulk of the quests on my own (everywhere, not just there).

I had absolutely no qualms about using the spreadsheet to look for NPCs once I started the FV quests. I honestly don't think I would have felt more "proud" if I had spent 3+ more hours running around that place without the guide.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
CrankyKong said:
I haven't used Sharla in the party except for a couple instances where I was trying to build affinity for probably the last 75-80 hours or so now.

(Currently at the final dungeon at 115 hours.)

ivysaur12

Banned
Just got to the Data Centre, one question of clarification:

Meyneth is the soul of Mechonis, Zanza is the soul of Bionis, right?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ivysaur12 said:
Just got to the Data Centre, one question of clarification:

Meyneth is the soul of Mechonis, Zanza is the soul of Bionis, right?
Yes, but it's a little more complicated than that.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I quite liked Sharla as a character, but halfway through the game I just didn't need her any more. Especially not once I found/made the gems to give health when an Art is used.

Nert

KenOD said:
I quite liked Sharla as a character, but halfway through the game I just didn't need her any more. Especially not once I found/made the gems to give health when an Art is used.

Sharla never felt like much of a presence in the game after I stopped using her in combat. Outside of the mini-arc involving Gadolt, I don't remember her saying or doing almost anything.

I've had Sharla as a permanent fixture up to where I am in the game, only switching her out when I know I can handle an area easily. Although yeah, other characters skills make her slightly redundant as a healer at this point.

I'm just up to the F
allen
A
rm. So happy to have Fiora back! Now to find mah buddies!

Currently level 55, at about 52 hours gameplay time. I couldn't beat some of the uniques in the last area I was in, but I'm not thinking I'll be able to go back there now?

Jintor

Gvaz said:
Yes, once you get Riki and Melia you don't really need a real healer.

Don't mind Jintor, he seems to love reading spoilers, lol.

I have to stop having Xenoblade in a tab next to the Batman threads :<

Nert said:
Sharla never felt like much of a presence in the game after I stopped using her in combat. Outside of the mini-arc involving Gadolt, I don't remember her saying or doing almost anything.
Well don't forget about that time
She showered Melia with Love Ether

Hiltz

Android18a said:
I've had Sharla as a permanent fixture up to where I am in the game, only switching her out when I know I can handle an area easily. Although yeah, other characters skills make her slightly redundant as a healer at this point.

I'm just up to the F
allen
A
rm. So happy to have Fiora back! Now to find mah buddies!

Currently level 55, at about 52 hours gameplay time. I couldn't beat some of the uniques in the last area I was in, but I'm not thinking I'll be able to go back there now?

Unfortunately, you won't be able to go back to
Galahad Fortress or Sword Valley for that matter.

EvilMario said:
It's a shame they couldn't figure a way to reactivate the timed quest in some sort of after-game world.
They should have given the
Monado III
the power to (temporarily) travel back in time to correct your mistakes. Sort of a reverse of its typical power.

WhyMe6

chaosblade said:
It's kind of funny to me, since this game is better in English and doesn't really need the Japanese option, but games that have poor dubs never seem to have the option.

The English dub is atrocious. It has the same underwhelming, amateur, children's-TV-show quality that is on every time you accidentally change the channel to ABC (on Australian TV) and a UK show is on (every morning/afternoon). Ech! Where's Basil Brush when you need him?

I think the JP voices were also included for Australians.

Wiseblade

Endgame Spoilers

Am I the only person who kind of hated Fiora? Her character only seemed to exist relative to Shulk to the point of boderline obsession with hints of Purity Sue coming through her acceptance of Lady Meyneth hijacking her body. I would have much preferred if Shulk ended up with Melia.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wiseblade said:
Endgame Spoilers

Am I the only person who kind of hated Fiora? Her character only seemed to exist relative to Shulk to the point of boderline obsession with hints of Purity Sue coming through her acceptance of Lady Meyneth hijacking her body. I would have much preferred if Shulk ended up with Melia.

Agreeing on the bolded part. I thought it was how it was going to end, but alas.
Fiora
is the least developed character in my opinion.
Just hanging on Shulk, so easily accepting her new body, and had a story tale ending. Just bland.

Wiseblade said:
Endgame Spoilers

I'd prefer to think of it more as Stockholm syndrome. As for Melia. Its like the developers couldn't give her a break. Anyway, she should be mature enough to handle it (can't remember if halfblooded high entia also got the longer lifespan, in which case she would be the oldest party member).

aett

Any tips for the level 105 Mechon unique? I'm level 97 and I get killed almost instantly by its laser blast. I just spent hours getting a ton of rank VI gems and great equipment, so it'd be nice to take down more than just the level 100 unique.

Wichu

WhyMe6 said:
The English dub is atrocious. It has the same underwhelming, amateur, children's-TV-show quality that is on every time you accidentally change the channel to ABC (on Australian TV) and a UK show is on (every morning/afternoon). Ech! Where's Basil Brush when you need him?

You. Corner. Now.

WhyMe6 said:

I find this amusing when I look at your avatar

Hiltz

aett said:
Any tips for the level 105 Mechon unique? I'm level 97 and I get killed almost instantly by its laser blast. I just spent hours getting a ton of rank VI gems and great equipment, so it'd be nice to take down more than just the level 100 unique.

According to Laughing Banana, that attack cannot be avoided. He suggested to use Shulk's Monado Armor and Zornica said you can also try using Melia's Reflect move to help win the battle.

I think equipping unbeatable gems will help prevent instant death. I was at lvl 99 and got killed by the monster in the first two attacks without any ubeatable gems on and had Rikki and Dunban in my party. Also, I don't know if you can fight this boss during the day but if at night, you may need to use night vision gems.

Jintor

WhyMe6 said:

You're insane.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hiltz said:
According to Laughing Banana, that attack cannot be avoided. He suggested to use Shulk's Monado Armor and Zornica said you can also try using Melia's Reflect move to help win the battle.

I think equipping unbeatable gems will help prevent instant death. I was at lvl 99 and got killed by the monster in the first two attacks without any ubeatable gems on and had Rikki and Dunban in my party. Also, I don't know if you can fight this boss during the day but if at night, you may need to use night vision gems.

It's slighly harder than most but you can also spam demon slayer and start the fight with him pre toppled.

You can fight at night...but he is the source of night vision gems.

The most reliable method is a topple chain attack topple chain attack strat.

Fight everything you can to max out your gauge before the fight, run up, cast monado armour before he does his opening move, hit him enough to get gauge, chain attack, topple as much as possible, repeat as necessary.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wiseblade said:
Endgame Spoilers

Yup.
Shulk moving on would have fitted with the theme of the ending, to continue to live. Melia was a much more developed and interesting character anyways.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man God said:
Melia is in her sixties.

People complaining about Fiora didn't pay enough attention.

Melia is 88 years old, actually.

aett said:

I really recommend you level up to 99 first before tackling on the above 100 beasts. You may think that a gap of two levels is not going to make any difference but it helps.

Also, approximately halfway through its HP the bastard activates its rage aura, which means he will attack you with more speed, more damage, and the worst of all he cannot be toppled. Your party, no matter what is the setup you are using, will stand a much bigger chance to be defeated if you do not negate this immediately.

The raging aura is the main reason why I would recommend making either Shulk or Melia as the lead. Purge/Mind Blast is the key here. If you choose Melia, I really recommend that once you attain Burst status, you do not fire your elementals but rather keep sticking to physicals (and Spear Break + Starlight Kick as needed) for preparation in Mind-Blasting the bastard once its activate its aura.

As Shulk (and most preferably you have mastered the 5th skill tree), aside from Purge, you can utilize Monado arts at its fullest, and Monado Armor/Shield can be a real life-saver.

Of course the 1st fight is going to be the toughest since you do not have the means to access Night Vision VI gems yet, but keep at it.

Also as general rule always do not forget to switch the time on early night to maximize the Night Vision gems. There's nothing worse than the gems suddenly deactivated mid-fight when the night turns to morning, and some of the fights against +100 enemies can take a while.

aett

Laughing Banana said:
I really recommend you level up to 99 first before tackling on the above 100 beasts. You may think that a gap of two levels is not going to make any difference but it helps.

Also, approximately halfway through its HP the bastard activates its rage aura, which means he will attack you with more speed, more damage, and the worst of all he cannot be toppled. Your party, no matter what is the setup you are using, will stand a much bigger chance to be defeated if you do not negate this immediately.

The raging aura is the main reason why I would recommend making either Shulk or Melia as the lead. Purge/Mind Blast is the key here. If you choose Melia, I really recommend that once you attain Burst status, you do not fire your elementals but rather keep sticking to physicals (and Spear Break + Starlight Kick as needed) for preparation in Mind-Blasting the bastard once its activate its aura.

As Shulk (and most preferably you have mastered the 5th skill tree), aside from Purge, you can utilize Monado arts at its fullest, and Monado Armor/Shield can be a real life-saver.

Of course the 1st fight is going to be the toughest since you do not have the means to access Night Vision VI gems yet, but keep at it.

Also as general rule always do not forget to switch the time on early night to maximize the Night Vision gems. There's nothing worse than the gems suddenly deactivated mid-fight when the night turns to morning, and some of the fights against +100 enemies can take a while.

Thanks for the advice! I've beaten that guy twice now, and crafted two Night Vision VI gems thanks to Mega Heat. I'm going to beat him two more times to get a couple of crystals for Heat Sink now.

WhyMe6

Question, in case I'm playing the game wrong ~ is there any way you can set armour changes to automatically carry over gems, rather than having to manually unequip them each time? Also, is there a faster way to get from a Quest's information to the relevant person's exact spot on the affinity chart? I can imagine things get crowded and difficult to peruse later on.

I just know that I might be missing something as I didn't realise the menu's map was different to the select button's map (allowing for greater skip travel range) until I read this very thread!

BlazingDarkness said:
I find this amusing when I look at your avatar

Clearly because Persona 4 has one of, if not, the greatest English dubs in the history of gaming :p

EDIT: For example, I'm currently up to Xord. In Japanese, he sounds like an evil demonic presence. In English, he sounds like a fat bloke who's drunkenly shouting through a megaphone.

Jintor said:
That age shit better not be spoilers!
It isn't, don't worry.

WhyMe6 said:
Question, in case I'm playing the game wrong ~ is there any way you can set armour changes to automatically carry over gems, rather than having to manually unequip them each time? Also, is there a faster way to get from a Quest's information to the relevant person's exact spot affinity chart? I can imagine things get crowded and difficult to peruse later on.
No and no, unfortunately. You have to manually do everything, though the affinity chart stuff is significantly less annoying if you choose to use the spreadsheet to find the relevant NPCs.

WhyMe6

SecretMoblin said:
No and no, unfortunately. You have to manually do everything, though the affinity chart stuff is significantly less annoying if you choose to use the spreadsheet to find the relevant NPCs.

Cheers, I'll look into that!

Gvaz

Banned
WhyMe6 said:
EDIT: For example, I'm currently up to Xord. In Japanese, he sounds like an evil demonic presence. In English, he sounds like a fat bloke who's drunkenly shouting through a megaphone.
No fucking way, he's my absolute favorite. It makes me think of the voice actor(s) for The Devourer of Souls in WoW where it has this voice that fluctuates all over the places and it sounds creepy as fuck, it's the best. Also for someone with so little lines you certainly end up liking him a lot.

Leeness

Gvaz said:
No fucking way, he's my absolute favorite. It makes me think of the voice actor(s) for The Devourer of Souls in WoW where it has this voice that fluctuates all over the places and it sounds creepy as fuck, it's the best. Also for someone with so little lines you certainly end up liking him a lot.

Haha yeah I loved Xord and he was super creepy. I got a little freaked out with his whole "BLARHRGRGRG I'M SO HUNGRY" stuff haha.

Jintor

In some ways having a giant drunken football fan be the voice of a demonic metal-faced killing machine is FREAKY AS SHIT.

Reminds me if whatever Rhinox turned into on Beast Machines. Tankor?

Top Bottom