• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

GC|Simon said:
Can't anyone help here? I'm getting frustrated ^^

I used Sharla spamming Healing Bullets on the party, with Shulk/Reyn do all the rest.

If this falis, grind like a blender until you are overleveled, and equip gems against Confuse and for better chances of Daze and Topple - it's the winning strategyde facto against everything.

Twilight Princess said:
Anyone here got a chance to play skyrim? Im kinda afraid I'll be disappointed with it after xenoblade...
I'm pretty curious about this too, it'll be like two weeks until my copy arrives, the wait is going to kill me! Looks like Skyrim isn't going to be able to match Xenoblade's diversity in locales and I wonder if it's going to be able to create the same vertigo-inducing feel, but still, I'll wait and see.

Santerestil said:
I used Sharla spamming Healing Bullets on the party, with Shulk/Reyn do all the rest.

If this falis, grind like a blender until you are overleveled, and equip gems against Confuse and for better chances of Daze and Topple - it's the winning strategyde facto against everything.
I eventually beat him when I settled on a Shulk/Riki/Sharla party, make sure Sharla has access to Heal Round so she'll be able to remove the nasty status ailments he dishes out.

Luigiv

GC|Simon said:
I used 7th, Dunban and Riki (lvls 67, 67, 68 respectively). I managed to scrape through, though it was very close. Of course it helped that I had been using that party configuration for a while and have purple affinity between the characters so I could get a decent length out of chain attacks and build up the combo meter to max.

I would guess Riki, Dunban and Sharla would make the best combo for if you haven't developed a good party for chain attacks. For Riki, make sure he has Happy Happy and his AoE Healing arts equipped. For Sharla, equip a decent number of healing arts, shield bullets and equip Arts stealth gems to her armour. And Reyn should obviously be equipped to tank.

Just don't let Riki and Reyns health drop below 60% (which shouldn't be too hard with both Sharla and Riki's healing arts) and the boss shouldn't be able to make them fall. And if they do fall/will fall if you issue a warning after a vision, Riki's happy happy will keep the party gauge full.

Mind you this is all theory, I don't guarantee it'd work but it's worth a shot.

Oxx

GC|Simon said:

I managed to beat
him
at the second time of asking at level 68, and I'm not really paying attention to the gems and underlying skill stuff.

I can't remember if I was using
Melia/Shulk/Fiora
or
Melia/Shulk/Sharla.

I'm having more trouble with the battle following that one, though.

Oxx

Ha, when in doubt switch to She-Hulk and spam arts until victory.

Nice cutscenes. I guess I'm at the 'Point-of-No-Return' now?

MechaX said:
I'm pretty much right before the final boss and I'm currently at Level 83. I wonder if I can take the boss. But more so, I'm wondering if I should just finish up the game at this point, because that is tempting. I have been slaughtering
Telethia in the Entia City
, and it seems like some giant turtle in the Marsh gives more EXP per battle. Of course, grinding on giant turtles really only gives me horrific FFXIII flashbacks.

But my main problem is that it seems like Colony 6 is trying to make itself as annoying as possible to complete. "Oh, you need [x] of this item? Oh, it's not an absurdly rare drop? Well you already passed the point of no return for the area it spawned in. But wait! You can get it from a quest! Oh... You missed one timed quest and that screwed the entire quest-line up? ... Uh... Well, you can trade! Oh yeah, that also requires getting 5-Stars with the city, which means doing more quests that will probably only give you 1 EXP at this point. *Trollface*"

At this point, I just want to get to Level 90-95 just to finish some grudge matches and then beat the game proper. Is there another leveling spot for my range that I should be aware of?

Yeah just finish it up
You can do sidequests and Colony 6 on a new game + playthrough should you ever choose to

GC|Simon

I finally was able to beat
Gadolt
. For those who have problems with hin:
I saved the chain attack until he launches this enegery ball attack which kills anyone. All his other attacks are not that strong. If you can prevent him from firing those energy balls, he won't be a big problem.
Actually, I haven't had a problem with all the bosses following on
Gadolt (Egil, the Telethias)

I'm now on level 71 and probably not very far away from the grand final. Watched a lot of great cutscences in the last few hours. I will do some quests and level-up before proceeding to
Bionis' interior
. Based on your experience. What is a good level to proceed?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
GC|Simon said:
I'm now on level 71 and probably not very far away from the grand final. Watched a lot of great cutscences in the last few hours. I will do some quests and level-up before proceeding to
Bionis' interior
You're fine for that area, the boss seems to give a lot of people fits but the enemies there are pretty strong and should level you sufficiently as you make your way there.

MechaX

After about 78 or so hours, Xenoblade is finally finished.

In short, nice ending.
I liked the final boss, oddly enough. Zanza freaking out about Shulk still being able to have visions during the fight was oddly pretty satisfying for me. I did go "lolwut" when Alvis was like "I am also Monado. I am also a super advanced AI. Hell, I actually thought they were about to tie in things with Xenosaga for a second with the appearance of that space station flashback.

But in all, the ending was pretty satisfying. I was fully expecting the game to end on a "Shulk must become the new god, so he inexplicably leaves his friends forever. OR DOES HE?!" kind of ending that JRPGs seem to love doing. But nope, everything was satisfied in a pretty satisfying manner, I thought.

The fact that we also didn't get big love drama bomb reveals from Reyn/Sharla and Melia/Shulk/Fiora was also pretty interesting to me, as their interactions in the ending show that they're close, but still ultimately have some growing to do even beyond.

While I did have some problems with the game (The AI is as dumb as rocks, the lack of a bestiary is pretty puzzling, and the Quest System can get extremely convoluted with some pretty far reaching consequences at times), I would say that this is JRPG of the generation by a significant fashion. Yeah, given the state that the genre is in, this isn't saying much. But this is personally the kind of quality I hoped we would have seen from JRPGs moving forward. While I appreciate NoE for stepping up and delivering this game for English speakers, it's a shame that NoA screwed the pooch on getting this game to a significant portion of the West. With that said, I don't regret spending $60 to import this back in August and I definitely don't regret the near 80 hours I spent on this game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wait.

Should I have been presenting these collectibles to party members this entire time?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Collectables are a minor increase on affection; basically the same as a properly timed b button press on a critical hit or enemy miss.

Kaizer

Banned
Just getting back into this, stopped playing towards the end of September, got sidetracked by a new X360 with Gears 3 & Tales of Vesperia. Good thing I remembered where I was in the story, reading through the tutorials got me back into everything. Currently everyone is at Lv. 40, just started rebuilding Colony 6 and about to leave
Frontier Village
. How far am I in the story?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man God said:
Collectables are a minor increase on affection; basically the same as a properly timed b button press on a critical hit or enemy miss.
Collectibles that characters really like give the biggest affinity payout of anything (4 hearts). So if you've got like 20 of those, you can probably raise affinity between two characters by a full level (or come close to it) all in one shot.

Battle is still the best/most efficient way to do it overall, but if you know you want to boost affinity between two characters quickly, collectibles are the way to go.

beril

Played it for over 80 hours now and I thought I might post some updated thoughts. Just beaten
DISCIPLE AIHTIROL
which was a very annoying battle and also the first time I had to grind so far. If it's sound overly negative, keep in mind that I've played it for 80 hors so obviously I didn't hate it.

In my last post post I was mentioned how impressed I was by the large environments and lack of obvious LODing and streaming issues. I have to take that back, as Makna Forest has some almost Halo2-level LOD issues.

While the large environments are rather awesome and the towns are a quite refreshing break from the two-houses-and-an-inn type of villages in most RPGs, it kind of screws up the pacing a bit. It feels like each segment is a bit too long. Instead of a handful NPC->30 minutes of exploration/dungeon crawling it's 100s of NPCs->5 hours of exploration. Especially with people only appearing at certain times it's very hard to find all the quests before they become riddiculously irrelevant.

And why isn't the inventory infinite, and why doesn't it mark all the items I'll eventually need for a quest or reconstruction? I guess, for the crystals it would be impossible as they have som random attributes, but for materials and equipment they could just have made the inventory large enough to fit all the items in the game. It took at least 30 hours before I filled any of the inventory categories so it's not the limited inventory space really has a significant bearing on the gameplay like in some games, and I'm pretty sure I've sold a lot items that I later needed for recontruction or quests, without seeing an exclamation mark.

Still haven't been very impressed with the story. It feels rather classic RPG/anime and I think the story telling is way to cutscene heavy and theres a lot of things that doesn't make much sense. Also I can't help being a bit dissapointed by
when the Bionis Moved. Just feels like it should have had a much greater effect on the environments and the people living on it, though I guess that would require some rather huge changes to really do it justice, which would ruin the quest log

Well, I'm finally level 96 and have finished a lot of quests today, probably will finish the story tomorrow. I have that terrible feeling that I have still lots of things to do, (I now there are 100+ monsters around and all, but apart from those I can't find much more to complete. I wish I found a list of all the secondary things you can do after
mechonis core

Finally recovered full Colony 6, so cool :D And also finished the Ancient Giants chain of quests, though I have the feeling that I forgot one of those sealed doors that I saw early in the game. :/

Can the city of Alcamoth be recovered? The nopon npc talked about the rebuilding of the city, but I did a few quests about killing telethias and the teleporter things etc.

Do you get a report when ending the game with like the % of the map discovered, unique monsters etc?

A long time since I played a non-mmorpg game for so many hours! My favourite JRPG since the snes era (though I missed a lot from the ps2/cube gen). Also I need to play other xeno games!

I wanted to play Arc Rise Fantasia but it will have to wait, you can't compete with this game heh.

Gambit

GC|Simon said:
I finally was able to beat
Gadolt
. For those who have problems with hin:
I saved the chain attack until he launches this enegery ball attack which kills anyone. All his other attacks are not that strong. If you can prevent him from firing those energy balls, he won't be a big problem.
Actually, I haven't had a problem with all the bosses following on
Gadolt (Egil, the Telethias)

Bionis' interior

I reached that point last night and wish I had unspoilered your text before then. I had similar problems with that battle. It took me two hours and my safe file was either after starting the battle or before I started the whole town. Now on to spoilers:
My goodness, he was frustrating. My highest level character (shulk) is level 66, so I might be a wee bit underlevelled. I just could not survive these balls of energy he is shooting down. At first my party was Shulk/Dunban/7th and the battle always went on for a while, until this particular attack killed me. Then I switched in Sharla and had (at first) even less of a chance. Until I finally decided to be a bit less defensive and started my chain attacks when he threatened me with that attack. (which seems to be the course of action you determined for yourself as well)

Voilá! He was knocked over and switched to a different attack and I made my victory. Finally!

Then an even bigger shock: This schmuck Gadolt survived! He annoyed me so much, I want him gone. Also, I wish Sharla had turned around to him and said: Sorry, Gadolt, it's Reyn time!

Edit:

Zornica said:
you won't need sharla, you just think you do, but in reality you really don't. just try it! the only reason you think you need sharla is because she is in your party and slowing everything down, so you take more hits. shulks/rikis/7th light heal is sufficient enough at lvl 50 and up.

Thank you. You were right. I cannot believe how much faster battles are now that Sharla is gone. Although I kept Dunban instead of your suggested Riki, the Mechon fall very quickly now. I love it. As can be seen from my rant before, I only switch in Sharla for bosses now.

B.K.

I got to the first real boss in the game,
the spider in the cave on the way to Colony 6.
Got my ass kicked pretty badly.

SuomiDude

Finally beat the game, at level 95-96 and almost 160 hours in. What a trip it was! The story was great throughout the game, some twists were to be expected, some totally weren't. The very end was great too.

The graphics are 50/50, some very bad textures, some very good textures. Good animation. Big open areas, some small tunnel-like areas. The music was great for the most part, only like couple of songs in the whole game that I didn't like and that's saying a lot. The game mechanics work well, the combat is surprisingly deep and fun. The only complaints I have is the amount of stuff you get, mainly the crystals... though that's only because I didn't bother to make too many gems out of them. And the other is comparing the equipment when shopping, but since I usually got the good stuff already before shopping, it wasn't that bad.

I still have some things to do in the game like maybe couple of more quests to find and some bosses, and I might give it a second playthrough. Actually I'm going to start playing it right now, just to do some final things in the game.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Gambit said:
I reached that point last night and wish I had unspoilered your text before then. I had similar problems with that battle. It took me two hours and my safe file was either after starting the battle or before I started the whole town. Now on to spoilers:
My goodness, he was frustrating. My highest level character (shulk) is level 66, so I might be a wee bit underlevelled. I just could not survive these balls of energy he is shooting down. At first my party was Shulk/Dunban/7th and the battle always went on for a while, until this particular attack killed me. Then I switched in Sharla and had (at first) even less of a chance. Until I finally decided to be a bit less defensive and started my chain attacks when he threatened me with that attack. (which seems to be the course of action you determined for yourself as well)

Voilá! He was knocked over and switched to a different attack and I made my victory. Finally!

Then an even bigger shock: This schmuck Gadolt survived! He annoyed me so much, I want him gone. Also, I wish Sharla had turned around to him and said: Sorry, Gadolt, it's Reyn time!
Do you guys just not use Monado Armour or something? I don't remember that fight being difficult at all.

Temrer

Neo Member
I got back into this last night, just got to B
ionis Interior
. About to face
Lorithea
- need to grind first.

Some story-stuff:
HOLY SHIT ZANZA. ...that is all.

Gambit

MetatronM said:
Do you guys just not use Monado Armour or something? I don't remember that fight being difficult at all.

I used Monado Shield, which doesn't help. I do not have Monado Armour. Maybe my level is too low. Or do I get it via quests?

Oxx

I think I'm just going to power to the end of the game. The way the story momentum has been going, it would be a shame to go off and spend 10 hours running fetch quests.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gambit said:
I used Monado Shield, which doesn't help. I do not have Monado Armour. Maybe my level is too low. Or do I get it via quests?
It's an optional art you have to find during a quest. I don't remember which quest gives it to you though.

It's definitely one of the most useful Monado arts though, if not the most useful.

pgtl_10

I was trying to play Xenoblade via Homebrew a couple minutes ago. I have never had problems playing the game. Today My drive wouldn't read the disc. I though my disc drive maybe broke.

I then popped in Donkey Kong and had no problem so I don't think it is the disc drive. I looked at my Xenoblade disc and saw fingerprints and am wondering if that's the issue.

Could anyone help?

Gambit

chaosblade said:
It's an optional art you have to find during a quest. I don't remember which quest gives it to you though.

It's definitely one of the most useful Monado arts though, if not the most useful.

Thanks. I have just looked it up.
It seems I have to talk to speak to Eleqa and "protect the village" then "stop the Mecon Rampage". However, when I talk to hear the quest is not triggered. In the googledoc it says to speak to Myqol first, which I have many a time.

My next main objective is speaking with him again to fly to Bionis Core, but I cannot believe they meant this particular talk with him, as it is after the infamous battle against Gadolt.

Any ideas how to trigger the quest then?

If that art is really so useful, then I would quite like to get it. If anyone has an idea, it would be greatly appreciated.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ironichaos said:
How do I beat the mechon with a face? He keeps beating my ass while all I'm doing is one point damage. :eek:
Break and topple it.

Gambit said:
If that art is really so useful, then I would quite like to get it. If anyone has an idea, it would be greatly appreciated.
Do some other quests in the area and see if it opens up. Might be other ones required that aren't listed, or it might require a higher affinity with the area.

pgtl_10 said:
I was trying to play Xenoblade via Homebrew a couple minutes ago. I have never had problems playing the game. Today My drive wouldn't read the disc. I though my disc drive maybe broke.

I then popped in Donkey Kong and had no problem so I don't think it is the disc drive. I looked at my Xenoblade disc and saw fingerprints and am wondering if that's the issue.

Could anyone help?
It worked fine before? Depends on the fingerprints, clean the disc properly (wipe it with a lint free cloth from the center out) and if it still doesn't work it's probably something else.

pgtl_10

Has anyone what I experienced?

Could anyone help?

Zwei

pgtl_10 said:
Has anyone what I experienced?

Could anyone help?

Xenoblade is a dual-layer disc. Reportedly, some (older) Wiis have trouble reading dual - layer discs.

pgtl_10

Zwei said:
Xenoblade is a dual-layer disc. Reportedly, some (older) Wiis have trouble reading dual - layer discs.

It worked fine until now. Is Donkey Kong Dual layered?

Edit: I did clean the disc and I'm wondering if the lens needs to be clean? If so How do I do that?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
pgtl_10 said:
No. Metroid Prime Trilogy, Other M and Brawl are though. Not sure of any others.

pgtl_10 said:
Hmm..

Maybe it is best for me to install my games to a hard drive and play from there. Would that work?
I think Xenoblade ran better from the Configurable USB Loader than it did from Gecko. With Gecko the game starts off center so I have to turn off the TV and turn it back on for it to center itself. And it also flickers occasionally, I assume due to the force NTCS option. Didn't have either of those issues on CFG.

pgtl_10 said:

Edit: I did clean the disc and I'm wondering if the lens needs to be clean? If so How do I do that?
No. Did you check if your launcher is forcing NTSC?

GC|Simon

58:30, level 74, inside of Bionis:
I tried to fight Lorithia... impossible! I think I need to be at least on level 75 (she is also on that level). Time for a little grinding. Though, the fight seems to be super-hard, maybe I need a longer grinding session? Any hints for the Battle? Concentrate on Lorothia or the enemies around her?
What is a good place for grinding from level 74 onwards? I already visited Alcomoth and the extended Tephara cave... the enemies there seem to be too strong. Maybe I should stay inside of Bionis?

Thanks four your help!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
GC|Simon said:
I tried to fight Lorithia... impossible! I think I need to be at least on level 75 (she is also on that level). Time for a little grinding. Though, the fight seems to be super-hard, maybe I need a longer grinding session? Any hints for the Battle? Concentrate on Lorothia or the enemies around her?
What is a good place for grinding from level 74 onwards? I already visited Alcomoth and the extended Tephara cave... the enemies there seem to be too strong. Maybe I should stay inside of Bionis?

Thanks four your help!
If you can't beat it at that level, it's a strategy issue and a problem with your level. Grinding won't do you much good unless you just get to the point where the enemy will be gimped due to the level barriers.

What kind of party are you using?
Maining Melia will do the most damage, but it will also mean she has to tank. So you'll want to equip her like one with skill links and gems, and have Sharla around for healing since she can't tank as well as some of the others. For the last character, Riki can do some good damage in this battle with his damage-over-time arts, or Shulk is useful for Monado Arts like armor.

I beat it at that level with a suboptimal party (Shulk, Fiora, Sharla) so you should definitely be able to do it with a proper one.

wrowa

GC|Simon said:

Thanks four your help!
Hint:
Lorithia is resistant against physical attacks. So, use the character of yours that doesn't use physical attacks.

GC|Simon said:

Thanks four your help!
Suggestions. That's about the right level to smash her, disable her defense for a limited time by using Cyclone on the elements one by one. If your team begins being morons by fighting in the gas, then flee by disabling the attacks, this is more useful here than just getting them to attack in the same place as you. Once the boss is in the center of the arena, then you should remember to attack again. Try using Sharla (unoriginal) and Riki is useful (great healer and attacker). This is the hardest obligatory boss and the only difficulty spike in the main quest.

wrowa

I honestly don't think that the boss is hard at all... You just have to change your tactics for a few minutes. Using
Melia
it's defeated after a few minutes...

And even if you die a few times, it's still easier and quicker than fighting it for half an hour with another character.

GC|Simon

Thanks for the hints, guys! I was able to defeat
Lorithia
on level 74 with Sharla and Melia (I played with Shulk). Melia basically did the job. Though, Sharla's healing ability was very important. I needed a few tries.

I'm now level 75 and on
Prison Island
. I think I'm very near to the grand final. However, I have not seen the point of no return so far. I think I will end the game next weekend!

Top Bottom