• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Playtime : 8 hours.
Level : 21
Time passed on sidequests : 4 hours.
Main quest ? What main quest ?

I've got a question : are the quests in this game randomly generated or not ?
And is it weird that I prefer the English VA over the Japanese ?

No, and no. The English is pretty good in this game, and I thought the Japanese was pretty mediocre (plus I generally don't like Japanese VA to begin with).

ivysaur12

Banned
How much do the Heart to Hearts flesh out certain character relationships? I never did any of them because their affinity levels were always so high.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How much do the Heart to Hearts flesh out certain character relationships? I never did any of them because their affinity levels were always so high.

Depends on the answers you choose, and some might be different. I think it's two sets of four hearts for the right answer (80 points total?), then you get a big heart that's presumably worth 5 normal hearts, probably 50 points?

Edit: Forget what I said, better explanation of heart to hearts/affinity.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30889388&postcount=11751

Oxx

If they gave XP for heart-to-hearts I would have done them a lot more.

As it was, I probably did less than 10.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Melia's Revenge
I would buy so many copies...

Make it happen, Nintendo!
If they gave XP for heart-to-hearts I would have done them a lot more.

As it was, I probably did less than 10.

I checked at the end of the game and I did 6 total. Really pointless if you don't care about the characters, and probably pointless even if you do.

McNum

The Heart-to-Hearts are actually fairly good if you do care about the characters. The above complaint about Melia giving up on Shulk? Yeah, covered in a Heart-to-Heart in the final area between Melia and Sharla. Although it does seem like several of these would have been better as full cutscenes, but I'd guess that some of them were non-essential character growth that either had to get cut or put in like this.

Zornica

Banned
I would buy so many copies...

Make it happen, Nintendo!

I checked at the end of the game and I did 6 total. Really pointless if you don't care about the characters, and probably pointless even if you do.

thats absolutely not true. Most of them are pretty funny, and some give important background to the story. I did all of them and they add a lot to the world. Especially the endgame ones.

I'm having a hard time
against Xord in the Ether Mine. I'm lvl 26, should I grind a bit more before tackling him ?
When somebody said there were 2 bosses people commonly get stuck on, they forgot about this one...anyway
In case it not obvious the goal of this battle is to unleash the chain attack (just like Metal Face), topple Xord (Stream Edge, Wild Down) and then hopefully do enough damage while he is toppled. Use the enemies spawned to build up the party gauge then when its maxed out switch target to Xord. If you want to make it easier, fill the gauge before starting the battle (you can quick travel right there so its easy to finish a battle with full chain gauge then warp). You might like to use shadow Eye and get Shulk behind Xord before starting the chain attack to be in prime position for a good Backslash and Monado Buster. If you get lucky with the chain attack and Shulk gets a secord turn use Buster then for the 2x bonus and that should end it. Also the artes themselves being leveled a bit will help too.
Edit: Oh on new-gaf you can click on the spoiler to highlight it. Neat.

B.K.

How do you do larger chains? The tutorial said you could do up to a 15 hit chain. It never lets me do more than three.

Jintor

Don't forget that using Topple moves on already toppled enemies extend the duration of it. Daze also works that way.

Wait what

Christ the gems are bitches. I'm busy trying synthesize some cylinders and some dude comes in and gives me a party relationship bonus. I'M TRYING TO GET 99% CYLINDERS HERE, DUDE, GO AWAY

elysianalartist

Neo Member
So I have a question. I'm at the
Yaldabaoth (Central Factory)
boss battle. I get the
vision of bionis getting hit
yet no quest pops up
for destroying the three energy supplies
. Also I've never notice the timer for the visions popping up so maybe my wii's glitching with the mod? I tried restarting my wii and the same thing happens. Thanks for any help guys!

edit: Sry didnt think name of boss and quest were spoilers. My bad.

I'd pay big money for Xenoblade 2. Not sure how they would top the universe spanning storyline and scale but it would be too good to have another of them gems

Gambit

I'd pay big money for Xenoblade 2. Not sure how they would top the universe spanning storyline and scale but it would be too good to have another of them gems

so would I. I would want them to go the Godfather 2 route. Half prequel, half sequel.

Ending spoilers:
Meyneth and Klaus Zanza would be the portagonists of the prequel part.

Edit:
Melia could be the sequel protagonist. Ah the possibilites!

Oxx

I kinda feel like there was enough meat to Xenoblade that a direct sequel isn't necessary.

I'm obviously interested in what MonolithSoft get up to next, but I'm thinking that the challenges of developing for the 3DS or WiiU might result in different types of experiences.

Ydahs

so would I. I would want them to go the Godfather 2 route. Half prequel, half sequel.

Ending spoilers:

Edit:

That's the same idea I had going.
Maybe make it that the world they created is 'corrupt' and that they want to destroy the world to start anew. They then discover there's good in the world, yada yada, but it's too late to reverse the destruction and then they do stuff trying to undo it... I'd like a bitter sweet ending though. It gets destroyed, but some things are 'saved' and get carried over to the new world. They learn from their mistakes and all live happily ever after.
I should become a writer.

How do you do larger chains? The tutorial said you could do up to a 15 hit chain. It never lets me do more than three.
Every attack after the 3rd can have a B prompt appear. Don't know the chances but it appears the stronger your party affinity the greater the chance of a B prompt popping up. The same colour bonus maxes out at 5x though (remember, white is a wildcard).

When somebody said there were 2 bosses people commonly get stuck on, they forgot about this one...anyway
In case it not obvious the goal of this battle is to unleash the chain attack (just like Metal Face), topple Xord (Stream Edge, Wild Down) and then hopefully do enough damage while he is toppled. Use the enemies spawned to build up the party gauge then when its maxed out switch target to Xord. If you want to make it easier, fill the gauge before starting the battle (you can quick travel right there so its easy to finish a battle with full chain gauge then warp). You might like to use shadow Eye and get Shulk behind Xord before starting the chain attack to be in prime position for a good Backslash and Monado Buster. If you get lucky with the chain attack and Shulk gets a secord turn use Buster then for the 2x bonus and that should end it. Also the artes themselves being leveled a bit will help too.
Edit: Oh on new-gaf you can click on the spoiler to highlight it. Neat.

Thanks, I didn't know
you could keep your chain attack gauge filled if you quick travel. That made the battle much much easier. After that the boss was really easy. Another question about battles : So now I have Dunban, Sharla and Reyn in my party (I find Dunban more fun to play than Shulk), but will I still have the in-battle premonitions ? What if I run into some mekons, do I have to flee and then come back with Shulk in my party or does Dunban inflict damages with any weapon of his ?

I was expecting the game to be more or less only focused on exploration, but the story is also really interesting.

Gambit

Thanks, I didn't know
you could keep your chain attack gauge filled if you quick travel. That made the battle much much easier. After that the boss was really easy. Another question about battles : So now I have Dunban, Sharla and Reyn in my party (I find Dunban more fun to play than Shulk), but will I still have the in-battle premonitions ? What if I run into some mekons, do I have to flee and then come back with Shulk in my party or does Dunban inflict damages with any weapon of his ?

I was expecting the game to be more or less only focused on exploration, but the story is also really interesting.

Honestly, at that point in the game I think dropping Shulk from your party is not recommended. As far as I remember, you still get visions, but none of your party members can hurt Mechons. Shulk can be phased out eventually, but not for Reyn. There will be better candidates.

I also quick-travelled to that boss, btw. Otherwise I'd probably still be in that blasted Mine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, at that point in the game I think dropping Shulk from your party is not recommended. As far as I remember, you still get visions, but none of your party members can hurt Mechons. Shulk can be phased out eventually, but not for Reyn. There will be better candidates.

I also quick-travelled to that boss, btw. Otherwise I'd probably still be in that blasted Mine.

I don't think dropping Shulk is a problem at that point. But I dropped Reyn instead (by Makna Forest at least) and never really started using him again aside from raising affinity.

Mid game/level 50ish spoilers, maybe?
I don't think you fight any Mechon again until Sword Valley after you beat Xord IIRC. None in the Marsh, None in Makna Forest, none in Eryth Sea/Alcamoth unless there are some on the way to Prison Island, none in Valak Mountain except the boss at the very end of the area.

CC pro has better Camera control (in general about camera control: change the default settings) but Wii Remote and Nunchuck is select artes while moving in battle (which given a number of artes are position dependant can be useful).

Thanks, I didn't know
I'd say play the game but since you asked
The Anti-Mechon Glieve Dunban stars with damages mechons but its a bit rubbish equipment wise for Dunban. You'll have to topple to do damage, which Dunban can do rather nicely.
I'd treat it more as if you see any mechon, get Shulk in the party as Monado enchant is the easy way to deal with them. Btw, Boss battles in general start with you being able to manage the party before they start so you don't have to worry about matters. As for Shulk, I'd say the area you're in (
Satori Marsh?
) you can do fine without Shulk but the next area has a few battles you'll need him back for.

kunonabi

What is up with Skill Trees? Everyone says that all learned skills are active for a character regardless of which one is activated but Dunban's Inner peace skill only works when his wisdom tree is active.

Are you remembering to take into account that selecting Wizdom gives +15 agility since it would be be mastered? (those stat bonuses are only while tree is selected) Unless 15 is what 30% gives you...in which case I'd use armor+gems.

kunonabi

I didn't realize there bonuses for mastery. However I just noticed that Dunban's hp buff skill doesn't work when I'm using the wisdom tree. I guess you only get access to one set of skills at a time.

Wichu

Just went into my Wii's save file manager, and saw Xenoblade's save icon.

It's terrifying. Cute, but mostly terrifying.

EDIT: Also has Monado's old subtitle ('The beginning of the world'). I wonder if that's official, or they just forgot to change it?

Go_Ly_Dow

Ending spoilers:

Edit:

I was thinking of a sequel where...
they decide to travel the "endless ocean" in search of new lands and civilizations.

Levyne

Banned
What's the best way to get AP? Got all the max art books now I got to have people learn the stuff..kill lvl 100 um over and over or just romp around late tephra caves for awhile?

kunonabi

Beat the game at 5:00 am this morning.

Gave up on quests awhile back so I had to grind some monsters to take on the end boss.

New game + is a complete crock so I'm not bothering with it.

I love the game although the end was kind of a letdown. It was done well but a little generic nonetheless.

Overall I loved it and it should have been a no brainer for coming to the states.

Do the heart to hearts affect the ending at all?

Now the wait begins for The Last Story. My most anticipated of next year with the new VF being a close second.

Oxx

Given how the 'Xeno' name just got bolted onto the game's title, they could probably make their next game about anything and still attempt to tie it in somehow.

The Hermit

this game is endless!!

130 hours!! Level 94!! a lot of quest left and enemies I still can't kill.... holy shit!!

How long did it take for you guys to complete (I don't mean just finish) this game?

mclem

Isn't Dunban's first sword an anti-Mechon one?

mclem

Just went into my Wii's save file manager, and saw Xenoblade's save icon.

It's terrifying. Cute, but mostly terrifying.

I commented on this ages ago. I'm not sure most people have yet experienced... *that*.

If we still had animated avatars, I'd have got on that like a shot.

Gregorn

This just arrived in the post along with Chrono Trigger. I've got a couple of weeks off work and some huge RPG's to play, hopefully I won't end up being disappointed after hearing so much for months.

this game is endless!!

130 hours!! Level 94!! a lot of quest left and enemies I still can't kill.... holy shit!!

How long did it take for you guys to complete (I don't mean just finish) this game?

around 142 hours. All the 480 quests done, didn't bother with the 100+ enemies, I was satisfied enough

Spoilers for a new character in the party :
Nikki the Annual Legendary Great Awesome Heropon has got to have the best character intro ever. You don't get to see a PC get volleyballed that often. Oh and btw the nopon village is really awesome, beautiful and extensive

I'm in love with this game. I still can't believe that's the people who created Xenosaga (which is imo far from good) that crafted this gem.

Do the characters upgrade their jumping height and/or speed on the field at one point of the game ? It feels like certain areas could be accessed with a more powerful jump.

hutna

I have no idea how to use Melia. Like, at all. xD

1 - Summon Lightning
2 - Summon Copy
3 - Summon Wind/Earth/Fire (whichever buff/damage type fits situation best)
4 - Discharge x3
5 - Summon Water
6 - Summon Lightning
7 - Summon Copy/Wind/Earth/Fire/etc (whichever is ready first)
8 - Discharge x1
9 - Repeat steps 7-8 until monster is dead

Use her healing spell if you need to (it's based on her HP so HP+ gems help it heal more). Mind Blast is one of the best arts in the game; use it during chains or when fighting monsters with really deadly arts of their own.

Ditto.
Her magic abilities aren't that great and you can't even use them in a chained attack...

Uncompromisable > Thanks !

You can use her magic abilities in a chain, you just have to have one or more summoned; Melia in a chain is one of the game's most powerful characters. If you want to see big number damage a discharged lightning element with one or more up at the same time giving ether+ while during elemental burst in a chain = HUGE damage (mind blast in a chain is also crazy strong).

Melia is really best for fighting Mechon (her spells do good damage without the need of Shulk's enchant monado art) and telethia (again magic damage is good and accurate and mind blast makes fighting them a LOT safer).

Nert

I have no idea how to use Melia. Like, at all. xD

I actually thought that the game did a great job of getting the player to understand her mechanics, even if they should have done it sooner.
The section where you control her by herself in the High Entia Tomb.

Levyne

Banned
What's the best way to get AP? Got all the max art books now I got to have people learn the stuff..kill lvl 100 um over and over or just romp around late tephra caves for awhile?

Anybody with any tips? I've been fighting Glory Slobos and Final Marcus over and over again on Valak but it's pretty slow.

Also, even after I get AP I'll still need a ton of SP..any tips for that? I get 20 each time I kill one of these guys with a chain and 10 other wise.. 7th still has a whole branch to fill...that's like 300 slobos :/

Top Bottom